ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Big news from Stonesdoug Return to archive Page: 1 2
March 10th, 2005 09:22 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Gazza wrote:

you should see a doctor about that problem, Zeeta!!

LOL! Quite good... for you Gazza! haha!

Well - maybe I would have been able to "cum" if I coulda made it! haha!

Enjoy it!

March 10th, 2005 09:42 AM
Fiji Joe Yay
March 10th, 2005 09:56 AM
LadyJane I am overjoyed and refuse to be negative.

Considering the ages of these men and Charlie's brave bout with Cancer, we, as fans, are BLESSED that we are even talking about this.

YIPPY!!!!!!!!!

LJ.
March 10th, 2005 09:59 AM
Fiji Joe I agree with Lady Jane...I don't care if it's an album of 15 tracks of "Winning Ugly"...
March 10th, 2005 10:10 AM
voodoopug i also am very happy to see the "next step" being taken. Keep it up guys!
March 10th, 2005 10:24 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Reasonable enough, Personally speaking though, all this talk about recording separately and then everyone getting together for a whole WEEK leaves me seriously underwhelmed expectations-wise.

Well, that doesn't mean they can't do some more week-long sessions later on.
March 10th, 2005 10:31 AM
Gazza I know, which is why I added the proviso that "I would expect the band to have further work to do on the record once the extra personnel do their 'bits'."

Theyve plenty of time to grind out a decent album, I guess.
March 10th, 2005 10:36 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I know, which is why I added the proviso that "I would expect the band to have further work to do on the record once the extra personnel do their 'bits'."

just by experience of recording another album currently with the Voodoo Pugs, there is PLENTY to do after the extra bits have been laid down!
March 10th, 2005 10:46 AM
Monkey Woman I know you know, Gazza. I guess there are plenty of us with fingers firmly crossed for a decent album. And tongues lolling...
March 10th, 2005 10:50 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I know, which is why I added the proviso that "I would expect the band to have further work to do on the record once the extra personnel do their 'bits'."

Gazza,
The Stones will in no way do this half-assed. There is a reason for the late booking of added musicians. We do not exactly know what is is right now (Although I do have my opinions as you know), but there is a definite reason.

The Stones know alot of their fan base are counting on this one as being good. They would not do something to dissappoint us on this particualar matter. Also they wouldn't put out a recorded project that is half-ass nowadays.

Give them more credit my good man. They are waaay to smart for that anymore. Besides, in actuality we do not know for sure how long they are really booked for.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
March 10th, 2005 10:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
They would not do something to dissappoint us on this particualar matter. Also they wouldn't put out a recorded project that is half-ass nowadays.

Give them more credit my good man. They are waaay to smart for that anymore.

like "Live Licks", then?

> Besides, in actuality we do not know for sure how long they are really booked for.

true. I take the 'one-week' thing with a grain of salt. I just hope it's a load of balls.

Ian - you mentioned earlier that the Stones have never done a studi album in a week..."Out of our heads" (amongst other early ones) took about that long. maybe thats what someone meant when comparing the two
March 10th, 2005 11:45 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Gazza,
The Stones will in no way do this half-assed. There is a reason for the late booking of added musicians. We do not exactly know what is is right now (Although I do have my opinions as you know), but there is a definite reason.

The Stones know alot of their fan base are counting on this one as being good. They would not do something to dissappoint us on this particualar matter. Also they wouldn't put out a recorded project that is half-ass nowadays.

Give them more credit my good man. They are waaay to smart for that anymore. Besides, in actuality we do not know for sure how long they are really booked for.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]

Never underestimate the Stones' capacity for half-assedness. What other band of their stature would graft four underdeveloped rush-jobs on their legacy-defining hits collection?
[Edited by Mel Belli]
March 10th, 2005 03:35 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

like "Live Licks", then?

> Besides, in actuality we do not know for sure how long they are really booked for.

true. I take the 'one-week' thing with a grain of salt. I just hope it's a load of balls.

Ian - you mentioned earlier that the Stones have never done a studi album in a week..."Out of our heads" (amongst other early ones) took about that long. maybe thats what someone meant when comparing the two

All good points. And funny too. Actually I mean I don't think they would rush a true studio effort/Album and put it out half ass. Before yes, now I really doubt it.

Ian
March 10th, 2005 07:06 PM
Bob Tamp I dont think the band or Jagger for that part ever try to make a real shitty album. I think all artists try to strive for their best. How it turns out or holds up after repeated listenings is another matter.

The problem with the Stones is that they are just a great BASIC ROCK BAND, and I think they all have gotten a little bored with that. When they try to experiment or become trendy, thats when they fail. They have had some great experiments that worked also, but the overall trend of experimenting with more studio players, disco, funk etc has really plagued every Stones album since Exile. The two straight forward albums since Exile are probably Some Girls, and Tattoo... both get high praise from both the critics and fans.

I think if they keep it basic, it will be great. Just my opinion.
March 10th, 2005 07:17 PM
MrPleasant After Goddess, once would think the band would tone down any presumptions to sound "current".

But what is current? Ray Charles? J. López? I don't know. Hopefully not. I don't mind "modern Jagger", when the production doesn't interfere with his hooks ("Might as well get juiced", for instance).
[Edited by MrPleasant]
March 10th, 2005 09:17 PM
Soldatti We need a rock album a la Voodoo Lounge, enough of modern sound like Bridges, Goddess or Alfie.
March 11th, 2005 02:07 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:
I dont think the band or Jagger for that part ever try to make a real shitty album. I think all artists try to strive for their best. How it turns out or holds up after repeated listenings is another matter.

The problem with the Stones is that they are just a great BASIC ROCK BAND, and I think they all have gotten a little bored with that. When they try to experiment or become trendy, thats when they fail. They have had some great experiments that worked also, but the overall trend of experimenting with more studio players, disco, funk etc has really plagued every Stones album since Exile. The two straight forward albums since Exile are probably Some Girls, and Tattoo... both get high praise from both the critics and fans.

I think if they keep it basic, it will be great. Just my opinion.

Bob your right about alot of it. But Voodoo had alot of "basic" Rolling Stones to it and it also was a great album.

I realize they always try and do their best anymore. But I mean I don't think they would say, well we are really running short on time, oh-well how it goes is how it goes, let's get it out there.

I think they will take the proper time with it in order to give it the best go possible.

Why the late booking of musicians? I think they got alot done already.
Everyone thinks: OK same as usual up till lately. I don't get it? No studio musicians I don't get it? No Ronnie by now, I don't get it? Stones playing games pissing the time away I don't get it? Now, studio musicians but really late in the game I don't get it?

*Mick stated this concerning the recording process of the Rolling Stones just on their very last album:
"there are many different ways to make a Rolling Stones album you see"

It isn't supposed to be like that this time. I think alot of it was written on tour and recorded on tour. I think what we are seeing now is the second half of things.
This may very well be a new variation of the Rolling Stones recording an album. This is what I think alot of folks have to consider. Certainly seems that way doesn't it.

Does you see what I am saying?

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
March 11th, 2005 07:09 AM
IanBillen [quote]LadyJane wrote:
I am overjoyed and refuse to be negative.

Considering the ages of these men and Charlie's brave bout with Cancer, we, as fans, are BLESSED that we are even talking about this.

YIPPY!!!!!!!!!

LJ.

Good call Lady Jane, Charlie's previous illness was a big "whew". I'll never forget logging into Rocks Off like any normal day. Then I see the post "Charlie's got cancer". I was like -WTF-. After reading it should be ok I was still concerned and I actually felt bad for him. We are indeed very lucky.
And Charlie is MUCH more of a Rolling Stone than everyone thinks. Look at the guy. He is still rolling with em like it never happened and showed no sign of ever giving it up.
Even if he did say that's it after all this. I would of been extremely dissapointed. But, I would respect his decision and could of seen where he was coming from. But guess what. Charlie rolls on!

Ian
March 11th, 2005 07:14 AM
egon
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
We need a rock album a la Voodoo Lounge, enough of modern sound like Bridges, Goddess or Alfie.

that's right.

gimme some "kick-you-in-the-balls R&R"!!!!
March 11th, 2005 07:28 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
egon wrote:

that's right.

gimme some "kick-you-in-the-balls R&R"!!!!

Hi bro!!
good to se you back..how are things in you new appartment??
March 11th, 2005 07:31 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
We need a rock album a la Voodoo Lounge, enough of modern sound like Bridges, Goddess or Alfie.

Bless you amigo! We need You Got Me Rockin' to death!
March 11th, 2005 02:42 PM
gimmekeef Maybe they'll all be with Ronnie and play a new hit from the new album?.....and I'm goin to win the lottery tonight!.....I'm so desparate for a new album anything with 5-6 decent tracks will do...I've given up years ago expecting any classics left in the tank!
March 11th, 2005 02:50 PM
LadyJane
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

And Charlie is MUCH more of a Rolling Stone than everyone thinks. Look at the guy. He is still rolling with em like it never happened and showed no sign of ever giving it up.
Even if he did say that's it after all this. I would of been extremely dissapointed. But, I would respect his decision and could of seen where he was coming from. But guess what. Charlie rolls on!

Ian

I agree with you Ian! (Wow..this is a first!!)

Imagine just IMAGINE the applause for Mr Watts this Tour??

Goosebumps just thinking about it!!!

God Bless Charlie!!!!

LJ.
March 11th, 2005 03:16 PM
nankerphelge I know what I want.

In 1981, I was listening to the local radio station and they had this big-ass debut -- then I heard the opening of Start Me Up and you could name that band in ONE NOTE -- you knew immediately what you were hearing.

The hair on my arms is standing up as I type this.

Keith Richards is a mutant of epic proportions -- we need the real Keef! No drunk pirates of the Carribean horseshit -- we need Keith present and accounted for to get the STones sound. MUST HAVE THE SOUND.

That's all I have to say about that!!
March 11th, 2005 03:27 PM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I know what I want.

I want to clutch you to my bosom and gently and sweetly and ever so softly stroke your young , sweaty , moist , shiny , glistening , GLISTENING young Nanky forehead and just say , ............... well ! ................. " Thanks " for being ........................ well .....................The Nanky !

You are much loved by The Joesy !

The Joey , Established 1999
March 11th, 2005 06:21 PM
Bob Tamp Charlie is the Stones.

I was in first row center at Astoria, and 2nd row center at Wembly and I couldnt take my eyes off Charlie. He is really incredible.
March 11th, 2005 06:40 PM
Some Guy I want a Stones album that lays the smack down on my candy ass!
March 11th, 2005 07:06 PM
Soldatti
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
In 1981, I was listening to the local radio station and they had this big-ass debut -- then I heard the opening of Start Me Up and you could name that band in ONE NOTE -- you knew immediately what you were hearing.

That was a "moment" on your life, isn't it?
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood