ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: When the Whip Comes Down - Four Flicks Return to archive
March 7th, 2005 03:17 PM
Mikey Did anyone catch (stupid question for this group, I know) Mick and Keith during WTWCD, right when Keith steps forward to start his solo and looks over at Mick (not in shot) and is clearly disgusted at whatever he is doing.

Keith yells something quick and fierce to Mick and retreats back to the drums where, upon hearing it, Mick sticks his tongue out at Keith.

I give Mick credit, he didn't skip a beat or let it faze him at all.

Anyone at the show see what Mick was doing to get Keith worked up?

By the way, can I just say that Charlie absolutely ROCKS on that song.

March 7th, 2005 03:37 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Mikey wrote:
Did anyone catch (stupid question for this group, I know) Mick and Keith during WTWCD, right when Keith steps forward to start his solo and looks over at Mick (not in shot) and is clearly disgusted at whatever he is doing.

Keith yells something quick and fierce to Mick and retreats back to the drums where, upon hearing it, Mick sticks his tongue out at Keith.

I give Mick credit, he didn't skip a beat or let it faze him at all.

Anyone at the show see what Mick was doing to get Keith worked up?

By the way, can I just say that Charlie absolutely ROCKS on that song.

there was some heated moments at one of the jan shows at the United Center during this song, i remember them turning each others amps down a few times.
March 8th, 2005 08:36 AM
Bruno Stone Charlie Rocks for sure, especially in the end, that thing DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN, DEN DEN DEN DEN DEN.... Its fucking strong, pay attention at his arms...
March 8th, 2005 10:02 AM
Snappy McJack I love this version. Although I'm not all crazy with "Live Licks," I do appreciate the version of WTWCD on it (which I guess is a rip from "Four Flicks").

But I digress........
March 8th, 2005 10:17 AM
MidnightRambler Yeah, Keith was screaming at Mick because of how loud his electric guitar was turned up. Keith is obviously pissed off right from the beginning of the song. Watch him and once Mick is playing the guitar, Keith cringes and mumbles to himself something like..."fucking..." That's when Keith mini-explodes.
You can see Keith scream something like "Turn it down!" and then he moves in front of Charlie--completely missing Mick's tongue at him. When Mick starts to sing the next verse the camera doesn't show it but you can see him reach down and turn the volume on the guitar knob down--he looks down briefly as he holds the microphone with one hand. The next couple shots show Keith VERY angry--which actually makes for some FANTASTIC riffs.

Yeah, but voodoopug is right the exact same argument came again during this song in Chicago several days later. On the bootleg video you can see Mick and keith really get at it. It's a little awkward and cool to see.
March 8th, 2005 02:30 PM
voodoopug
quote:
MidnightRambler wrote:
Yeah, Keith was screaming at Mick because of how loud his electric guitar was turned up. Keith is obviously pissed off right from the beginning of the song. Watch him and once Mick is playing the guitar, Keith cringes and mumbles to himself something like..."fucking..." That's when Keith mini-explodes.
You can see Keith scream something like "Turn it down!" and then he moves in front of Charlie--completely missing Mick's tongue at him. When Mick starts to sing the next verse the camera doesn't show it but you can see him reach down and turn the volume on the guitar knob down--he looks down briefly as he holds the microphone with one hand. The next couple shots show Keith VERY angry--which actually makes for some FANTASTIC riffs.

Yeah, but voodoopug is right the exact same argument came again during this song in Chicago several days later. On the bootleg video you can see Mick and keith really get at it. It's a little awkward and cool to see.

seeing as though this happened a few times, do you think that this is an inside joke for mick and keef meant to stir up the die hards who carefully watch for this?
March 8th, 2005 06:52 PM
Soldatti
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

seeing as though this happened a few times, do you think that this is an inside joke for mick and keef meant to stir up the die hards who carefully watch for this?

Keith's face didn't look like an inside joke...
March 8th, 2005 08:48 PM
John Wood If I remember when Keith goes towards Charlie he leans over Micks amp and turns it down.
March 9th, 2005 12:00 AM
Child of the Moon You're right... that actually DOES get Keith playing a little better!
March 9th, 2005 03:21 PM
Bruno Stone
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
You're right... that actually DOES get Keith playing a little better!

If this is right ( and I do believe it is ) i hope them to fight each other all the time for the next tour.

And I hope them to fight HARD in Brazil.

Ps: And if Ronnie fight Keith? It would be GREAT - only onstage
March 9th, 2005 04:02 PM
glencar In Dublin, Keith was shadowing Mick & they both seemed to be having a great time. Maybe as the tour winds down all the angst disappears?
March 9th, 2005 05:21 PM
Mikey I don't get it. Mick's handed a guitar. I'm assuming that the soundboard man and guitar tech (Dave Rouze for Mick) have the levels worked out prior to Mick strapping it on.

Why would KR be so angry at Mick for having a loud guitar. Its not like MJ told anyone, "Make sure I'm heard over all others!'

Not that I don't believe that explanation - its just strange.

Maybe I have to be in the Stones to understand the angst.
March 9th, 2005 07:03 PM
MidnightRambler "Not that I don't believe that explanation - its just strange.

Maybe I have to be in the Stones to understand the angst."

Keith has always been very adament that he dislikes Mick's electric guitar playing. He compares it to Dylan who likes to just slash at it and it just irritates Keith. It's not that Mick's guitar is PURPOSELY louder than everyone's but I think just the fact that the volume is ON--and that's enough for Keith to get get pissed off as is! No, actually maybe lately the volume has been louder than usual and Keith noticed. Either way, he dislikes Mick's playing. He's said that he enjoys Mick on acoustic rhythm but aside from that--he can do without it.

It's good to see Mick and Keith in good spirits especially when it comes to guitar stuff. On the Philly DVD from the past tour when they play Miss You on the B-stage during the mini-jam after "Come home! Come home!" you can see Mick playing RIGHT NEXT to Keith and they both share a couple guitar riffs. It's really really cool to see.
March 9th, 2005 08:31 PM
sammy davis jr. "Whip" on Four Flicks is absolutely horrible IMO.....Mick sings the chorus in the same monotone now, since he can't sing high enough to hit the octave anymore. I used to love this song, but they never really have done it justice live...the groove from the record is never right.
March 10th, 2005 12:44 AM
T&A i didn't like Whip on the Licks tour - much better on NS tour. By the way - Keith is merely hamming/mugging for the TV cameras - not a genuine moment at all...
March 10th, 2005 07:20 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
In Dublin, Keith was shadowing Mick & they both seemed to be having a great time. Maybe as the tour winds down all the angst disappears?

do you remember the bit in Dublin (first night I think) where Keith came down the little walkway at the front (for those who werent there, there was no b-stage) and was milking the crowd all he could, only to be joined by Mick.

There wasnt really sufficient room for them both and I think Keith was a bit pissed at Mick muscling in on his little spotlight - he gave Mick the thousand-yard stare, quite visibly told him to "fuck off", whereupon Mick scuttled back to the main part of the stage to concentrate on working on a different section of the crowd
March 10th, 2005 10:23 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Mikey wrote:
I don't get it. Mick's handed a guitar. I'm assuming that the soundboard man and guitar tech (Dave Rouze for Mick) have the levels worked out prior to Mick strapping it on.

Why would KR be so angry at Mick for having a loud guitar. Its not like MJ told anyone, "Make sure I'm heard over all others!'

Not that I don't believe that explanation - its just strange.

Maybe I have to be in the Stones to understand the angst.

the soundboard man controls the sound heard out of the P.A. system. But just like old fasion garage rehearsals, the amps themselves can be turned up or down, commonly referred to by musicians as "stage volume". Plenty of times what we hear on stage is much different that what is being mixed and presented to the crowd.
March 10th, 2005 08:52 PM
Soldatti They can replace WTWCD with Just My Imagination, I loved the version on the NS tour.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood