ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

One month ago! Enmore Theatre – Sydney February 18, 2003
By Masoudi

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Heeeeeeeere's Savage... Return to archive
03-13-03 10:02 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Yes, I'm back, after a weeklong college tour (shudder). Amongst other fun things (Talking about the Stones with old people tends to work very well), I picked up today in New York a copy of the Australian 1993 RAGE program (or something like that) along with a bunch of the old promo videos.

Chances are high Boomhauer is in the same boat... except he's not *looking* at colleges, he's *looking* at the bodacious babes on the beaches of Miami or something. I'm around for a few more days, then I plod back to NYC, hopefully with a ticket to "That Band Chuck Was Once In" in tow.

So if you don't hear from the rest of us youngun's for another week or so, it's 'cause we're on break.

-tSYX --- They were all about you...
03-13-03 10:08 PM
fmk438j I think the rage program was aired in '94 (does anyone care about one year diff?).

Sadly I don't have it, but it apparently has some LIV clip that was aired for the first time ever (or so I am told).
03-13-03 10:25 PM
Martha Hi Savage and Young,

I was missing you AND missing little Ronnie Cake, especially! I've grown fond of using that phrase around the house now thanks to you!

Glad to hear things are going good for you. And the Stones chat with the older folks does go over well..I can attest to that and I'm one of the older folks! LOL

I took a copy of the 1/18/03 HBO Stones concert in to my (younger than me) Dr. today and he impressed me by letting me know he's heard about the Chinese boycott regarding the set-list. I told him he really knows how to foster a good Dr.- Patient relationship by keeping abreast of this type of info...LOL!

The Rolling Stones are known to everyone, everywhere!!!!!!!!!!

03-14-03 05:40 AM
luxury1 Xyzzy!--You are back--Upon listening to some boots of live shows through the past 20 yrs, I wanted to ask you your opinion of Darryl's bass playing vs. Bill's . ANd have you ever heard the infamous Will Lee--the session player, who has been in Letterman's band for awhile (I dont know if he still is or not.) Thanks.
[Edited by luxury1]
03-14-03 05:44 AM
Moonisup since I listen to the stones,

hmmm I think that Bill's bassplaying is fairly underestimated!!

Just listen to the handsome girls boot, the pumping bass line, specially during Just my imagination. WOW~!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rik
03-14-03 09:12 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I always get the feeling that Darryl does a good enough job - but he tends to just plug along, really not adding any variety. One of Bill's specialities was the fact that he could punch up a song a lot more, especially in a band in which the bass was rarely at the forefront and if it was someone else was playing it (Ronnie, Taylor or even Keith, on numbers like "Live With Me", "Fingerprint File", "Tumbling Dice", "Emotional Rescue" - not sure about "Dance Pt.1" or "Undercover Of The Night"). I get the feeling you lose that in most of the post-Bill recordings with Darryl playing. "Don't Stop" is just a steady drone, same with "Stealing My Heart", "You Got Me Rocking", "Love Is Strong", and so forth.

A lot of the Bill-era Stones songs are difficult for me to cover because I have to decide between playing the bass line or singing, I'm still not good enough to do both. With the Darryl-era songs, I have no problem (I'm trying to get them to cover "You Got Me Rocking" just for kicks). Darryl's a steady player, sure, he keeps the beat and all, but he's not interesting like Bill was. On the other hand, Keith and Ronnie seem to have a better time with Darryl onstage, so maybe there's some sort of tradeoff there. (Ronnie did, however, have fun with Bill, if a bit at Bill's expense!)

So that's that. Darryl's not bad or anything, I just think Bill was better.

But you know who the best of the lot were? Ian Stuart and Nicky Hopkins.

-tSYX --- Why'd you have to go and leave us like that, you sod!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST