ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

One month ago! Enmore Theatre – Sydney February 18, 2003
By Masoudi

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Rolling Stones 1962-2002 - The Ultimate Guide To The First Forty Years Return to archive
03-11-03 08:39 PM
MarthaMyDear The Rolling Stones 1962-2002 - The Ultimate Guide To The First Forty Years

Please note a new edition of Felix Aeppli's book will be available soon.

Please follow the link for more information:
http://www.brightguy.demon.co.uk/rolling_stones/ultimate_guide_40years.htm

I would be grateful for any publicity you can give to the forthcoming book.

Paul Pelletier

*** Martha ***
03-11-03 11:14 PM
Mottrush Thanks Martha,

Looking forward to the new edition! I consult the last Edition, 1962-1995, regularly. Together with Nico Zentgraf, Felix is one of the best sources of knowledge on the Stones ever!

Cheers,

Mottrush
03-12-03 02:40 AM
MarthaMyDear You're welcome, Mottrush!!! Enjoy and, actually, you're at the right place in regards to intense Stones knowledge, also!!! Gazza, one of the board administrators here, HAS to be one of the most knowledgable Stones fans around (no kidding) so if you've got a Stones question to ask, shoot it his way here or I'm sure someone else here can help you, etc., alrighty?!?!?! Anyways, take care and have a GREAT rest-of-the-week and ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
03-12-03 12:36 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Thankx Martha!!! Hope to meet you in London!!!
03-12-03 08:03 PM
Mathijs I am really sorry, but the first edition was the the worst ever book ever written about the Stones albums or studio sessions. There's not ONE entry without mistakes, this Elliot guy seems be more into ABBA than into the Stones. Elliot is far far away from people like Nico Zentgraf, who really knows what he's talking about.

Why would I buy Elliot's second book? To read more faults, mistakes and personal wanderings? Elliot's book is as bad as Karnbach's book is -avoid it like the plague.

Mathijs
03-12-03 08:18 PM
Joey Martha My Dear .........................

Your bottom Avatar makes Joey queezy !

Please click here :

http://www.jrewing.com/jrewing/jrewing.html

J. Kins Fly
03-12-03 08:40 PM
Gazza > am really sorry, but the first edition was the the worst ever book ever written about the Stones albums or studio sessions. There's not ONE entry without mistakes, this Elliot guy seems be more into ABBA than into the Stones. Elliot is far far away from people like Nico Zentgraf, who really knows what he's talking about.

Mathijs - I think youve mixed the book Martha's talking about up with a different publication entirely. The "Ultimate Guide" is by Felix Aeppli from Switzerland (as stated in the original post) - you're referring to the new edition of Martin Elliott's book instead.

>Why would I buy Elliot's second book? To read more faults, mistakes and personal wanderings? Elliot's book is as bad as Karnbach's book is -avoid it like the plague.

Actually I just got a copy of it a few days ago and its GREATLY improved on the first one - which I did think was lacking in terms of research especially on recording dates and sources for the live albums. I wouldn't recommend the first edition which came out just over a decade ago,but I would certainly do with the new version. I'll be posting a proper review of it in the next few days.

Martha - thanks for the plaudits - but when it comes to guys like Nico Zentgraf, Felix Aeppli and several other excellent researchers who have REALLY done their homework,I'm definitely NOT worthy!!
03-13-03 03:30 PM
Mottrush
Glad to hear Elliott's new book is an improvement on the last one Gazza. I thought it was O.K at the time but soon discovered all the inconsistencies when comparing details with Aeppli's and Zentgraf's work.

BTW what's your opinion on Karnbach's book Gazza? Once again I find it hard to compare to the work of the other two guys.

Cheers,

Mottrush

03-13-03 07:00 PM
Gazza I think he did a good job on digging out 1960's setlists and the sessionography and TV appearances part were good. I found his 60's setlists very useful when compiling my setlists page for this site.

His research into the setlists from 1970's onwards was a bit off at times - a lot of that information was already available and I dont think he spent enough time researching it - quite a paradox as he'd actually done the hard work in researching what was otherwise hard information to obtain elsewhere in his book. The book is a good read though but its not definitive. None of them are,although some come close.

It IS very hard to produce a wholly accurate account of the Stones studio activities down the years, what with so many recording sessions being recorded either at Mobile studios or studios in far flung locations...unlike Dylan or The Beatles for example whose day by day studio sessions are easier to document as they have recored most of their material in studios owned by their record company (CBS for Dylan/EMI for The Beatles)

I actually toyed with the idea of producing such a book on the Stones a couple of years ago but found it somewhat impractical to document their studio sessions in the detail and with the accuracy that I would have been personally happy with

Aeppli's "Ultimate Guide 1962-1995" was a great piece of work, but its subsequently been seen to be somewhat flawed - new information becomes available all the time and he overlooked some mataerial in his in depth book. He produced an appendix of corrections and updates which ran for a few dozen pages. I think also that by calling a book an "ultimate guide" you're setting yourself up for a lot of criticism - personally I thought that he could have spent more time on setlists, but then again if he had done, the book would have been about 3 times as thick (it cost me £65 to buy it when it came out and it weighs a ton!). Felix is a great authority on the band though and I'm sure his new book - if the corrections I saw to the last one and the samples I have seen on his website are anything to go by - will be a great piece of work.

As far as historians of the band go, Nico Zentgraf from Berlin is,to me, is the best authority on the Stones in the world. Can't make a higher compliment than that.
[Edited by Gazza]
03-13-03 07:03 PM
mikecooper you want some free publicity for the book??
email me and i will talk about the book on the air for you and also give a couple away.

email me at [email protected]

or visit me on the web at www.oldies967.com
03-13-03 08:27 PM
Mottrush Thanks for all the info Gazza. High praise indeed for Nico!! I'm sure if you were to write a book one day it would rival anything else there was to offer.

BTW you can imagine how much it cost in postage for me to get Felix's book to Australia!!

Cheers,

Mottrush

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST