ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

One month ago! Enmore Theatre – Sydney February 18, 2003
By Masoudi

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: KISS @ Budokan last night - sang "Angie"! Return to archive
03-11-03 01:01 PM
Jerry in Boston KISS Returns to the Budokan

KISS have returned to Tokyo's legendary Budokan for three sold out nights. They first played the Budokan in 1977 and last played it in 1995. Peter Criss returns to the drums in the Budokan since his last performance in 1997. It also marks the first time Tommy Thayer has played in makeup in Japan since Cold Gin played Club Citta in 1992.

The stage is very reminiscent of a classic early 70's KISS show; no video wall and only one KISS sign above drums. The setlist included hits and classics rarely played before; Goin' Blind and the return of Strutter and King of the Night Time World.

Paul's vocals were stronger than ever and he looked like he just walked off of the cover of KISS ALIVE! Gene was fit and trim and looked more menacing than ever. Peter's playing was solid and intense and he sang Beth in the middle of the set as opposed to as an encore. Tommy Thayer played brilliantly and not only filled the huge boots he stepped into but really came into his own as KISS' new lead guitar player.

Paul sang an impromptu rendition of The Rolling Stones' "Angie" before going into "Black Diamond"

After taking a long deserved break after The Farewell Tour, KISS returned to Japan looking and sounding better than ever.

KISS are back!

Set list:

Deuce
Strutter
Let Me Go Rock and Roll
Shout it Out Loud
Firehouse
Lick it Up
King of the Night Time World
Calling Dr. Love
Psycho Circus
Goin' Blind
Do You Love Me
Cold Gin
Beth
God of Thunder
I Was Made For Lovin You
Love Gun
Black Diamond

Detroit Rock City
Rock and Roll All Nite

03-11-03 01:34 PM
Martha I heard a rumor that Kiss are going to tour the States with Aerosmith this summer. Anyone else heard this one?
03-11-03 01:41 PM
Nellcote Martha;

Aerosmith are touring with Kiss. Aerosmith are finishing up a blues album, will go out with Kiss for a burning summer tour. Who said Kiss is hanging it up? Just like The Who & Bowie, I suppose.

The key question is to JB, how many tickets do you need. How will this tour do?
03-11-03 01:56 PM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Nellcote wrote:

Aerosmith are touring with Kiss. Aerosmith are finishing up a blues album, will go out with Kiss for a burning summer tour. Who said Kiss is hanging it up? Just like The Who & Bowie, I suppose.

The key question is to JB, how many tickets do you need. How will this tour do?

I have been a KISS fanatic since 1976. Okay, okay, I've just done it... I've come out of the proverbial KISS Kloset. But I can't help it; I love them.

I will be at as many of the upcoming KISS shows as possible. Paul Stanley reproduction platform boots at the ready, by the way. ;-) I don't even care if I'm the only one there, I'm gonna rock!

I've never been much of an Aerosmith fan though.

03-11-03 02:15 PM
Martha Oh my god....the ticket prices are gonna be outrageous...who wants to throw out a guess on that one? Or is it already known?
03-11-03 03:19 PM
Dan The so-called KISS farewell tour was the lamest KISS show I ever saw. I think they were pretending to hang it up a few years too late. "Goin' Blind" live would be awesome, I remember the first time they ever did that live at the 1993 Foundations Forum convention here in Burbank.
10 years ago, KISS and Aerosmith would have been a dream show but all it gets now is a big yawn.
03-11-03 04:17 PM
KeepRigid Martha-
Aerosmith are looking to get back to their roots and- as Nellcote said- are recording a blues album, although it will be all new material, not covers. They told Guitar World that they plan an Ozzfest-style tour next summer- which is probably where Kiss comes in.
03-11-03 04:35 PM
Martha
quote:
KeepRigid wrote:
Martha-
Aerosmith are looking to get back to their roots and- as Nellcote said- are recording a blues album, although it will be all new material, not covers. They told Guitar World that they plan an Ozzfest-style tour next summer- which is probably where Kiss comes in.

Hey KeepRigid-

I appreciate the info on this one, thanks.

Dear gawd an Aerosmithfest???!!! That will bring on the mayhem!

And a get-back-to-their-roots blues album sounds fantastic. I can't wait to hear something from it..is anything circulating yet?
03-11-03 04:52 PM
KeepRigid I think it's still too early. At the time of that article, they hadn't started recording.
[Edited by KeepRigid]
03-11-03 06:59 PM
Martha Ok, I'll keep my eyes peeled for info in the future. Again thanks KeepRigid, it's good to see you on the boards!
03-11-03 10:44 PM
JaggaRichards KISS and Aerosmith touring together??
I have one simple question.

Which one of them will be the opening act??
03-11-03 11:23 PM
Martha AEROSMITH
03-12-03 01:53 PM
jb On Gene Simmons web site, he wrote a very complimentary piece about the Stones. Apparently, Kiss was in Austalia at the same time, and Simmons and Stanley went backstage and spoke with Keith and Ronnie...said the stones were an "inspiration", etc. I am now officially a Kiss fan.
03-12-03 02:44 PM
Nellcote JB;

Joe Perry played on Goddess in the Doorway. Does this qualify him for inclusion in the club?
03-12-03 02:50 PM
jb I would take him over Tyler any day. You can tell he has a lot of Keith influence in how he conducts himself..If they would just stop performing with En Sync, Britney, etc, and stop the pathetic Jouney like ballads, I could tolerate them.
03-12-03 03:06 PM
Nellcote He's the Keith, stay in the background, where Tyler would like to be the Mick, all over the place, though I think they both are happy with the ballad schmaltz, as it helped bring their carrer back, when they were remerging from the haze of the early carrer. One band whom has decided to let outsiders advise whom should have a hand in writing the music, give them advice on the music, for better or worse.

Played at my high school in '74, as the student council at the time arranged for their performance. Get Your Wings was about to come out.
03-12-03 03:08 PM
Factory Girl Yes, Joe Perry is a Stud Muffin.
I saw Kiss in 1978, one of my first concerts-I was "Factory baby" then...lol.
03-12-03 11:52 PM
FPM C10 good GAWD! I thought you were all KIDDING, but sadly that does not seem to be the case. (FG, you are excused - you were young, and your subsequent Iggy jones more than makes up for your youthful indiscretions.) Josh hates the Beatles but loves Kiss -- because one of those kookie kabukis likes the Stones? Hey, I think the Beatles liked the Stones too...

I also thought Kiss retired. Then came back and retired again. Now they've hired a new guitar player for another "farewell" tour??? How SPECIAL! At least the Who have genuinely great music to flog when THEY periodically retire.

Well, I gotta go back over to the Robert Johnson thread and wash the bad taste out of my mouth.
03-13-03 12:58 AM
Riffhard The whole Aerosmith/Kiss tour is a perfect example of how both these bands have sold their souls years ago.

I gotta give Aerosmith some respect for their early work,but,ya gotta admit that once the career was revived courtsy of Run-DMC,the music never had the same raunchy flavour as it had had. The fact that Tyler and Perry called themselves the Toxic Twins shows the Mick and Keith influence,not to mention every other aspect of their career. I'm still left wanting more from them though. Maybe that's just me.

Kiss,on the other hand,have always put the mighty dollar above all else. In a funny way I can even appreciate that. I mean that is the ultimate "Fuck You!" "Give us your money you gullible fuck,and while your at it buy a roll of Kiss toilet paper!" That just screams fuck off in a very rock and roll way! Their problem is they have never backed it up with any decent rock and roll. Gene Simmons is the the most obvious rock and roll used car salesmen ever. If you can't play then put on some makeup,spit blood,and blow shit up! That'll work! Money..,money,money,money,money,......Money!

They are both big fans of the Stones though. I interviewed Gene Simmons this past August in Boston. My producer who was on the air with me for the interview and asked him what he thought about the Stones. The in-joke at my station is that I always manage to sneak the Stones into any interview I conduct. So anyway,Doug asks Gene,beating me to the punch "What do you think about the Stones?" Gene looked at Doug and said,"Well,what do you think of potato chips?" Doug had know idea what that meant. Gene had to explain it to him! LOL! "Isn't it obvious that everyone loves potato chips!" I still give ol' Dougy shit for that!

At least both of these bands knows where their bread is buttered.

Riffhard
03-13-03 01:19 AM
exile I saw Aerosmith in 97 in London
They were great live I have to say

i dont mind Aerosmith
In a way they keep you going while your waiting for the NEXT Stones album

even though they are stones tryhards, they are good at it.

I agree with you Riffhard on KISS
I saw farewell tour, it was terrible
Gene was so grosely obese he could hardly fit into that spandex suit of his.
03-13-03 01:39 AM
Sir Stonesalot I think the 'Smith/Kiss tour is a wonderful idea.

Every mullet wearing, Schlitz Malt Liquor drinking, chain on the wallet having, counts ciagarettes as breakfasting, goes after the fat chicks because they try hardering, the best vintage for Mad Dog 20/20 is last Tuesday knowing, Army/Navy Surplus for back to school shopping, Hot Pockets for Sunday dinner eating, 12 year old daughter smoking in front of her 2 kids abiding, 4 broken down AMC Pacers in the front yarding, attaching a used Airsteam to the ol' trailer is considered building oning, refridge on the front porching, cousin marrying, Springer Show candidates....

....will all be at one place, at one time. Of course, they'll have to cook up a couple of extra pounds of crystal meth to pay for the tickets, but they'll be there.

Anyone know Bin Laden's phone number? I know a couple of good places to park some airplanes this summer.

Didn't Great White teach you people anything? Schlock rock is dangerous to your health and safety.

No kidding...has anyone seen that CD being advertised on TV lately...you know the one..."Trailer Park Hits"(I shit you not!)? Both Aerosmith and Kiss are represented..as well as..get this...Journey, Loverboy, Foreigner, Styx, Asia, AND REO Speedwagon! I can't imagine a bigger waste of CD media.

I used to like Kiss and Aerosmith....when I was in 3rd grade.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
03-13-03 09:31 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Every mullet wearing, Schlitz Malt Liquor drinking, chain on the wallet having, counts ciagarettes as breakfasting, goes after the fat chicks because they try hardering, the best vintage for Mad Dog 20/20 is last Tuesday knowing, Army/Navy Surplus for back to school shopping, Hot Pockets for Sunday dinner eating, 12 year old daughter smoking in front of her 2 kids abiding, 4 broken down AMC Pacers in the front yarding, attaching a used Airsteam to the ol' trailer is considered building oning, refridge on the front porching, cousin marrying, Springer Show candidates....

....will all be at one place, at one time. Of course, they'll have to cook up a couple of extra pounds of crystal meth to pay for the tickets, but they'll be there.

HAHAHAHAHA.... you funny! You just described 75% the crowd at Gillette last September! HAHAHAHAHA
03-13-03 12:57 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Every mullet wearing.......when I was in 3rd grade.

You hit that one OUTTA the friggin' ballpark, O my C10 brother!!!

Please go ahead and award yourself a primo boot out of your collection for "Best Post of '03".
03-14-03 07:58 AM
Factory Girl I really like old Aerosmith tunage-"Toys in the Attic" Rocks!

I even own Pandora's Box-their box set. I guess it was a fluke purchase.

However, my next box purchase shall be Johnny Winter "Blues in the Box". Any Johnny Winter Fans here?

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST