ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

One month ago! Enmore Theatre – Sydney February 18, 2003
By Masoudi

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New vinyl remasters Return to archive
03-10-03 11:14 PM
Vinyl kills Anybody heard these yet? I picked up "ROLLING STONES, NOW" & "GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT" and think they sound excellent!!! I wonder if they compare with the CD/SACD releases.

The LP notes state "digitally remastered from original master recording" 100? virgin vinyl.
03-11-03 02:18 AM
Stonesthrow VK-- In many cases, vinyl actually sounds superior to cds. They have a warmer feel and don't usually suffer from the prevalent cd problem of the music being equalized flat across the frequency spectrum causing a dull muddy sound. Having said that, you generally don't get pops, skips, and scratches on cds. If you get the vinyl, put it on a CD-R right away to get the best of both worlds.
03-11-03 06:38 AM
swapwoodfortaylor I have yet to hear any digital music that is acceptable.....as vocals and percussion are completely unrealistic and harsh. One day they will hack it I suppose. My guess is that if they digitise the sound and then whack it on vinyl it will be ruined! But I admit..'only a guess'! (Meantime Aftermath is on the LP deck!)
03-11-03 06:40 AM
corgi37 I finally saw the 40 licks vinyl box set on saturday at JB hi-fi. They have it for $50 (thats aussie dollaroos of course). Comes with an expanded booklet and a mouse pad.
03-11-03 09:51 AM
Stonesprofessor You picked up the OLD ABKCO versions vinyl.There are no vinyl versions of the new remixes/remasters.....All I can say about the ABKCO remasters,is what I have said a hundred times since last August- I have been listening to this stuff on various formats for 30 years now, and THIS STUFF HAS NEVER SOUNDED BETTER! The various new methods of transfering and mastering have actually managed to capture that so-called 'warmth' you perceive getting from vinyl..and it is a perception..On these you can pick out [and savor]almost every layer of instrumentation.even from tapes as old as the 1964 Chess sessions..which for the first time are in full-blown STEREO..To put these ABKCO releases in perspective...they sound better than the 94 Virgin remasters of the Stones RS Records stuff!! Stonesthrow- these were NOT compressed and equalized..I actually found myself...TURNING DOWN THE BASS LEVEL in my good car stereo..something I've never had to do....classical purists [who notoriously are critical of CDs] are creaming in their jeans over the DSD/SACD format...and you should be too!
03-11-03 09:54 AM
Stonesprofessor And oh yeah...Swap..check out the percussion on Beggars on the new remasters.....and Micks vocals EVERYWHERE....dont be so damned pure..you might find out something new and enjoyable!
03-11-03 11:40 PM
Stonesthrow Professor-- When I said the cds were generally equalized flat, I was talking about most regular cds over the years, not the SACDs. They are very similar to the Mickboy type of remastering which does tend to accentuate the lower frequencies, especially bass. I wonder what influence he had on how the SACDs were done?

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST