ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

One month ago! Enmore Theatre – Sydney February 18, 2003
By Masoudi

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BLACK & BLUE Return to archive Page: 1 2
03-10-03 06:15 PM
exile After Exile on Main street Black and blue would be one of my next favourite albums
maybe not as good as sticky fingers of course but definitely my third favourite

I think this album has been overllooked by a lot of people and really deserves more creditablity

I mean for starters

"Hey Negrita" is a fucking awesome song with a great groove
"Melody" another fantasic song
"Crazy Mama" need I say more?
"Hand of Fate" fantasic
"Memory Motel" another great ballad
"cherry o baby"
and "Hot Stuff" nice disco number

Just wanted to see what you guys thought of Black and Blue

03-10-03 06:24 PM
KeepRigid Black and Blue is one of the greatest albums ever made.

Seriously, I love it. It was one of the great unknown Stones albums until recent setlists began to mine it so heavily.
03-10-03 06:53 PM
Martha
quote:
exile wrote:
After Exile on Main street Black and blue would be one of my next favourite albums
maybe not as good as sticky fingers of course but definitely my third favourite

I think this album has been overllooked by a lot of people and really deserves more creditablity

I mean for starters

"Hey Negrita" is a fucking awesome song with a great groove
Agree completely

"Melody" another fantasic song
Oh do I EVER agree on that one exile!!!!
..it was her second naaaame....

"Crazy Mama" need I say more?
Love it! I sing this one to my cats.....LOL!

"Hand of Fate" fantasic
Yeah yeah YEAH!
and so forth...

"Memory Motel" another great ballad
"cherry o baby"
and "Hot Stuff" nice disco number

Just wanted to see what you guys thought of Black and Blue

I LOVE IT! Listen to it ALL the time in fact. Twice this past Saturday evening while entertaining friends.

I never tire of it. Thanks for the thread, exile.
03-10-03 06:56 PM
exile I also forgot to add
One of the coolest album covers as well, after Exile On Main St and Sticky Fingers

03-10-03 06:57 PM
full moon I love this album... I like the different styles and Jagger's vocals are wonderful......
03-10-03 07:05 PM
Nasty Habits Black and Blue is absolutely terrific. It is a very unique Stones album and I have grown to love and respect every aspect of its special vibe. I used to put that album down - to my punk ass college ears it lacked balls, but as I got more acquainted with the music of the time, what was influencing the Stones, and its truly interesting playing and groove, I could not stop listening to it.

I used to be particularly merciless in my opinions of Fool to Cry, but I love that song now - it has a really excellent sense of tension and release; I love when the drums and the lead guitar finally kick in at the end. Truly soulful.

Crazy Mama is one of their greatest rockers with an all time loud vocal from Mick.

Hot Stuff strikes me more as pre-disco dance-funk rather than straight ahead disco - like something that the Ohio Players would have whipped out if U Roy or Big Youth was fronting them.

To everybody in Jamaica working in the sun! You're hot, you're hot stuff!

Great great album.

03-10-03 07:19 PM
luxury1 One of my favorites too--Never tire of it either Martha. I loved your description of Fool to Cry, Nasty--tension and release. That is so dead on.
03-10-03 07:27 PM
LadyJane Very timely thread! I've been in the slow process of acquiring the entire Stones catalog on CD.

Finally got Black and Blue last week. Like stumbling across lost treasure. Now I remember why we wore out the "record" in '76.

Crazy Mama and Memory Motel are two of my all time favorite Stones songs.

LadyJ.
03-10-03 07:31 PM
Honky Tonker This album came out as my parents were getting divorced and remains my favorite (yes, I know Exile is better musically). "Memory Motel" is my all-time favorite Stones song and I finally got to see it live in 1999 in Charlotte. Only loser on B&B is "Cherry Oh Baby". It isn't even close to the original.
03-10-03 07:51 PM
Egbert Most definitely an underrated gem. Hey Negrita runs through my head on those hot summer nights on the Brooklyn bound 4/5 train as my dirty eyes roam the car.
03-10-03 08:05 PM
nankerphelge I might just add that it is my favorite Stones release to get Nolte-ass stoned to!!!!
03-10-03 08:42 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I might just add that it is my favorite Stones release to get Nolte-ass stoned to!!!!

WORD, Nank - only Let It Bleed exceeds its chibaliciousness.

03-10-03 08:54 PM
Fiji Joe I have but one problem with the album that keeps it off my list of greats...8 songs..not enough material...but otherwise, it rocks
03-10-03 09:01 PM
nankerphelge Chibaliciousness!!

Good - another wordsmith!

Yes Let It Bleed sure is good in that regard too.
They all are really -- but I think that island feel of B&B just makes one want to find a cool rum drink and a big fat one!!
03-10-03 09:06 PM
LadyJane
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Chibaliciousness!!

A new word for my vocabulary! Thank you!

Hell all you have to do is look at the cover and you get stoned!! Kind of like I am, right now!!

LadyJ.
03-10-03 09:13 PM
Boomhauer Black and Blue is very good.

"Just a momentita! Not so Fast!"
03-10-03 09:17 PM
Child of the Moon Black and Blue's a fantastic pary record. I remember the first time I got it, too. Bought it on vinyl first to see how it was before I committed to buying the CD. Memory Motel made me weep, Hey Negrita made me shake my ass, and Cherry Oh Baby made me smile from ear to ear. My only problem with it is Fool to Cry... I've never been crazy about that one. Worried About You would've made it a much stronger record if it had replaced Fool to Cry. But then, there goes the hit. I used to really hate Melody, too, until I heard that kick-ass take from Shepherd's Bush '99 (I think that's where it was, the club show). It's definitely been one of those records that grows on you like nothing else.
03-10-03 09:17 PM
wkoetke Wow, what fun, and what good timing this Black And Blue thread is! I'm at work right now (software engineer), and 10 minutes ago I decided to play a CD. I looked at my set of 50 or so CDs that I keep at my office, and grabbed...Black and Blue. Then, randomly, I decided to see what's new on Rocks Off, and sure enough as I'm listening to it a Black And Blue thread pops up. I'm giggling and having fun (though I should be working of course).

Great album. Always liked it, but in the last year or so have gained a new appreciation for it (along with Goats Head Soup and their pre-Buttons material, which I until recently was bored with whereas now Down The Road Apiece gets me pumped every time - like Keith said "anyone can Rock but where's the ROLL?).

Anyway, B and B is great. Don't have much to add that hasn't been said already about individual songs, except to say that Keith sounds frighteningly Jamaican in Cherry Oh Baby! If I didn't know it was him I would have guessed it was some random Rasta-Mon in the studio.

The album is surprisingly solid considering the obvious transitions going on at the time.

Enough for now. See y'all.

-Walt

03-10-03 09:23 PM
Mottrush
Black and Blue is a great album and all credit must go to Mick for pulling this one together as Keith had certainly gone missing for most of this album. Although his vocals on Memory Motel are sensational!!
03-10-03 11:01 PM
Martha I bought myself the little tin box for 10 bucks with the Black and Blue cover on it (you evidently put your weed in it, Ronnie)at the Staples show for a keepsake. It may be cheesy but it makes me feel good when I look at it (or gaze if I'm in that space like you are right now LadyJ..LOL). I really LOVE this album and must hear it at least once a week minimum. I also bought a copy of the CD and gave it to my friend as a gift for letting us stay with him all week while in L.A. Isn't he lucky!

Today I received a copy of the Staples benefit show from another friend who I've met here and who was so kind to offer to send it to me.....so I am reliving the show again. I'd forgotten that the power went out towards the end of "Wild Horses" and the audience sang along to bolster the boys as they plodded through it. Heads prolly rolled over that one. LOL

There is such richness to life when one is a Stones fan, isn't there?! I mean, I continue to get further and further into the music, appreciate it more deeply as I grow older, learn more about them, see them perform live around the country, and a new stereo helps with this whole process a bit too, lol. It truly is an amazing, endless, wonderful journey. I just ain't never coming back.

I simply and unabashedly LOVE the Rolling fucking STONES!!!!

Now.......let's ROCK!

03-11-03 12:07 AM
Bluzian I also have to concur... My only complaint is that I wish it
had 8 more songs!!!!! But The songs are truly ecclectic, and
the mix is brilliant, from Charlie's drumming in the forefront
to Mick's incredible dynamic vocal style. Although I'm not
too keen on FoolToCry, I love the slide-groove of NEGRITA,
and H.O.F. The album cover is fantastic. I can't tell you
how many times and for how long taht I have stared at that
thing!!!!!!! *LOL*

It does have alot of left-over qualities from IORR, and
you can sense the Munich feel of some of the tracks.. but
it still doesn't dismiss the fact that it was a good effort.

I've driven stoned many a time listening to B&B, windows down,
volume cranked, and people just stare at me wondering WTF
is that groovy music?!? :-)
03-11-03 12:59 AM
Prodigal Son Black and Blue is definitely an underrated arsenal in their canon. I agree with Fiji Joe that 8 songs ain't enough considering most other Stones albums had/have 10 or more. Even the sappier tunes are better at being MOR than MOR could've ever been. "Fool to Cry" is straight-up 70s Philly soul ballad stuff. "Crazy Mama," "Hand of Fate," "Hey Negrita" they hadn't rocked like that since '72. "Melody" is also damnably catchy. "Hot Stuff" is great too. I am not too keen on "Cherry Oh Baby." Keith, though he was messed, delivers some fine performances in Memory Motel with his tender vocals and then the riffing in Crazy Mama, Hand of Fate, etc. B&B is/was a return to rocking form and Some Girls was a return to true attitude of the Stones. No Stones album was bad, they just lost their way on GHS and IORR, good albums just not great.
Magical Prodigal Ranking: **** out of five, or try: A-
03-11-03 02:29 AM
Daethgod ive just been listening to Memory Motel on Stripped Comp
farken brillo !

03-11-03 04:04 AM
F505 Just brilliant
03-11-03 12:09 PM
sirfito It's a great album. One my favorites, too!
Best,
Fito
03-11-03 12:22 PM
Lazy Bones Mickboy's remaster - From Rags To Excess - is a great piece if you like Black & Blue. Disc 1, however, sounds much better than disc 2 (at least my copy does). Quality, that is.

03-11-03 01:19 PM
Martha
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Mickboy's remaster - From Rags To Excess - is a great piece if you like Black & Blue. Disc 1, however, sounds much better than disc 2 (at least my copy does). Quality, that is.

WHERE do I get this one???????????????????

....salivating like Pavlov's dog......
03-11-03 02:05 PM
Lazy Bones I'd help you out but don't have burning capabilities.
03-11-03 05:22 PM
exile I would also love a copy of From Rags To Excess black and Blue 2
can anyone burn us a copy?
[Edited by exile]
03-11-03 07:13 PM
full moon Anyone got a trade list, because I have this????????
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST