ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

One month ago! Enmore Theatre – Sydney February 18, 2003
By Masoudi

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Remastered CDs Too Expensive Return to archive
03-08-03 01:24 PM
morocco I was just at Border's Bookstore where the Stones' new remastered CDs are close to $20 each for the single CDs. This is a rip-off. I'll hit Keith with my telecaster for this.
03-08-03 01:41 PM
Moonisup if you take heroin everyday that is also expensive
03-08-03 01:43 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat smoking is too
03-08-03 01:50 PM
MidnightRambler Well, there's your first mistake:

Going to Border's Bookstore for Cds. They waaaaaay over price their CDs--don't buy CDs or DVDs there. Best Buy usually has better prices.
03-08-03 02:11 PM
mikecooper I have bought only a few of the new SACD's I have beggars and also let it bleed and a sampler. I would like to get more but till i have a SACD players to hear them in 5.1 i think it is a bit of a waste. you can find them for about 13.00 at circuit city and best buy.
03-08-03 02:35 PM
morocco Okay, I'll look for better prices elsewhere.
03-08-03 04:18 PM
quackenbush Maybe you could try going to half.com. There are some good deals there to be had for used cds.
03-08-03 04:46 PM
Boomhauer OK, don't go to the mall for CD's (Like sam goody and shit like that) and especially don't go to book stores.

They are usually more expensive at these establishments.
03-08-03 06:55 PM
full moon www.cduniverse.com is the best and all Stones remasters are top notch........
03-09-03 12:46 AM
JaggaRichards Circuit City has them for $13.99
03-09-03 12:47 AM
Stonesthrow >>http://half.ebay.com/search/search.jsp?nthTime=1&product=music&query=rolling+stones&page=3<<

Morocco-- You might want to check out the DeepDiscount web site listed above. I had some problem with delays in shipping. However, I did get most of the SACDs at just over half the price you indicated. If you are not in a big hurry, consider this possibility. If you are outside of the U.S., shipping might be more, but still worth investigating. Of course I make no guarantees, written or implied. My attorney made me say that.

[Edited by Stonesthrow]
03-09-03 01:11 AM
Fiji Joe I got OOOH for $12.99
03-09-03 06:32 AM
beer i agree that these remasters are way tooo expensive. even at the independent record stores these were going for $20.00!!! I have all the stones releases, but some I only have crappy copies of. I have Beggars Banquet on cassette that i recorded off the radio! , no joke! and alot of the others i have are on fuct up, scratched vinyl. oh well, i'd rather have well worn vinyl than shiney new CDs. But people say the remasters are incredible...
03-09-03 07:22 AM
Ctiger2 The remasters are excellent. I have bought about 7 of them so far. I intend on getting the rest soon. Its like hearing the albums for the first time. You can hear every layer. Very cool. I bought all mine at best buy.com so far. They cost 12.99 - 13.99.
03-09-03 09:41 AM
morocco I'm going to try Circuit City or Best Buy or the CD Universe website. I'm ready to go on a Stones buying binge; you know how it is when you get the fever.
03-09-03 10:44 AM
Egbert Borders is a total ripoff for CDs. One thing to like about the SACD remasters is that everywhere I've checked has them priced $3-$5 cheaper than the sonically inferior 1980's "remasters". Try Amazon and Best Buy for good deals. Anyone thinking about purchasing an SACD player keep in mind these remasters are formatted as stereo, not multi-channel 5.1 SACDs.
03-09-03 02:48 PM
Stonesthrow Egbert-- I was led to believe that the SACDs have both a stereo layer playable on a regular cd player and the SACD layer for use with an SACD player and compatible receiver.
If you are right, why bother buying the SACDs at all?
03-09-03 03:50 PM
Stonesprofessor The so-called NON-SACD level still sounds better than 90% of any CD reissued by ANYbody....the beauty of the ABKCO re-issues is in the DSD sequencing off the old master tapes..and if youare going to burn copies for your vehicle,that still comes though.
03-09-03 05:00 PM
Boomhauer Well, it seems like they didn't consider price for substance.

SOme of these remasters are a 1/2 hour or less and are priced at $12.99 and above. Kind of seems like a rip off, but what can you do...
03-09-03 06:08 PM
morocco yea, the sound is incredible from these remasters, even on a regular CD player.

The percussion on Sympathy For The Devil has never stood out so individually, the maraccas and bongos.

There seem to be layers and layers of guitars on Gimme Shelter, one here and one over there.

Also, the speed has been restored to the way they were originally recorded; some of the original CDs were accidentally slowed down.
[Edited by morocco]
03-10-03 01:54 AM
Child of the Moon Hee, hee... I got Englabd's Newest Hitmakers at a Hastings store for $5.49! It was WAY marked down... there was a copy of Flowers for less than eight bucks, same with TSMR.
03-10-03 07:11 PM
Egbert Hi Stonesthrow,

Sorry about the vague post from before. You are correct in that the remasters are of a hybrid nature - one layer for regular CD players and the other layer for SACD. The distinction to be made here is with the SACD format, which can either be stereo SACD (for use with a two-speaker system); or multichannel SACD (for use with a 5.1 surround sound system). From what I've read on High Fidelity's website, the Stones remasters are in stereo SACD format only. So this would be something to keep in mind when deciding on what type of receiver/speaker set-up to go with. Is it worth buying an SACD player for these remasters? If you have a good quality CD player that you're happy with I'd stick with it because the regular CD layer sounds great, especially compared to the old 1986 Abkco "remasters". Last summer I got all stoked up about these new remasters and went out and bought an SACD player in part because it was time for a new system anyway. I'm no audiophile - nothing fancy - an HK receiver and two Bose bookshelf speakers - but the SACD play really does add a lot of clarity and separation to the instruments. Now with the Stones' punky amped-up raunch I'm not sure that instrumental "clarity and separation" is all that necessary. By the way, imo the remasters that sport the most improved sound over the old Abkcos (at least the ones I have) are Aftermath (UK - yes!), Between The Buttons, Satanic, and Darkly.
[Edited by Egbert]
[Edited by Egbert]
03-11-03 02:06 AM
Stonesthrow Egbert-- Are you saying that the SACDs are not in 5.1 or 6.1 mode? I thought that was the whole idea of getting them done as SACDs to allow the remastered sound to "surround" you. I have been contemplating getting an SACD player and upgraded 6.1 receiver (my current receiver is old enough to vote). However, your post may scare me away from it. Can you clarify a bit further.

BTW, of the SACDs, the most noticeable improvement is with Between The Buttons. Personally, Aftermath is my favorite. However, my comparison is with the German Decca cd and not the inferior ABKCO cd of the '80s so the upgrade is not quite as noticeable. If you haven't heard them, the Mickboy remasters are also definite upgrades. They also contain more songs than the original albums or cds.

03-11-03 01:12 PM
Egbert Hey Stonesthrow,

From the info on SACDs I've gathered, it seems to me that standard SACDs contain both a stereo SACD layer and a multichannel 6-track SACD layer. The Stones remasters are hybrid SACDs containing a regular (non-SACD) CD layer and a stereo SACD layer. Maybe hybrid SACDs don't have enough disc space to also include a multichannel SACD layer. Since I don't have a multichannel system, can't comment on how a stereo SACD would sound with that. Here's some sites you might find to be of some help:

http://www.sonymusic.com/sacd/

Sony's SACD site - check out the "FAQ" section

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=52303

A review of a Stones remaster sampler disc - the reviewer mentions that the SACD layer is stereo

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/

High Fidelity's main page - good info on upcoming SACD releases

03-11-03 03:22 PM
Egbert Also stonesthrow, thanks for the Mickboy remaster suggestion - have heard much about them on this board but don't know where to find them. Haven't delved much into the bootleg scene but a friend who has was good enough to burn a couple of '72-'73 concert boots for me. The Definitive Brussels was a revelation. He also gave me a mono Let It Bleed with really cool alternate bonus tracks (Sister Morphine, Loving Cup, Memo To Turner, HTW). Agree with ya on Aftermath, my favorite pre-Beggars album. Love the UK version.
03-11-03 07:15 PM
full moon Buy every remaster, or you will regret it......
03-11-03 11:32 PM
Stonesthrow Egbert-- Thanks for the links. I'll have to check them out. Re Mickboy, I have some, but not all of them. What I got was from Sir Stonesalot. If you are interested in trading, PM me at the name above.

SS, if you happen to see this, any chance of getting a replacement for From Rags To Excess, cd 1? Mine was the victim of an unfortunate accident. When you mix metal steak tongs, Wesson oil, an 18-wheeler, and the KGB, things are bound to go awry.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST