ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

One month ago! Enmore Theatre – Sydney February 18, 2003
By Masoudi

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: wow, what a super bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Part 1 aka Donīt stop lickin' Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
02-13-03 06:47 PM
Moonisup is it the smile girls???????????

02-13-03 09:36 PM
LadyJane In this case the SECOND time is a charm!!

LadyJ.
02-14-03 01:18 PM
luxury1 Dont tell me we are gonna be left hangin on Valentine's Day?????????
02-14-03 01:53 PM
throbby Lest Moonisup steal the show I best hurry!
02-14-03 01:56 PM
throbby For the ladies of RO

For the gentlemen of RO

stoneslib these photos of yours rock!
02-14-03 05:25 PM
LadyJane Thank you Throbby!!

Now my Valentine's Day is complete. Flowers and a beautiful card from Hubby and my favorite kind of CANDY--EYE CANDY!!

xxx0000xxxxx00000

LadyJ.

PS My Husband is so romantic. Under my real flowers was a brand spanking new remastered edition of "Flowers".

[Edited by LadyJane]
02-14-03 09:06 PM
LadyJane Considering how much we admire Mick's attire, I thought you might appreciate the following:

February 13, 2003
Do my lips look big in this?

Stretchy fabrics, bright colours and lots of sparkles. To dress Mick for a world tour, you'll need all this - and a gusset.

Ian Parker Reports:

Mick Jagger is standing in front of a full-length mirror in a windowless room in downtown Toronto, plucking at the cloth of a pair of narrow black satin trousers made for him by Hedi Slimane, the designer at Christian Dior Homme in Paris. "They're a bit, a bit - for want of a better word - feminine," Jagger says, in an over-enunciated, borderline-camp accent. Looking at the trousers from one angle and then another, he says, "They're all right to wear for pictures and that. But I don't like the way they fall."

They fall straight: Jagger in the flesh is surprisingly slight. One fashion stylist who worked with him says that he has "the hips of a Spanish waiter".

"If you use thin material, it doesn't have a flow," Jagger says, his mouth making enormous movements. "It's too flimsy." Then, with faux impatience that does not quite disguise real impatience, he says, "OK, what else?"

What does a 59-year-old lead singer with a 74cm (29-inch) waist wear on a stadium stage? The Rolling Stones, in preparation for their world tour, spent months rehearsing five evenings a week in Toronto's Masonic Temple, a shabby building on a busy junction. On this particular day, a few orderly fans stand outside in the sunshine. Inside, in the basement, Jagger is trying on a rack of stage outfits with no more fuss than marks a change of government in a small country. He has asked for his dressing room to be cleared of all but what he calls "the minimum number of people - the minimum": I join a publicist; a hair stylist; the film director Michael Apted, who is making a Rolling Stones documentary; Apted's cameraman and sound recordist; Jagger's fashion stylist, Maryam Malakpour; and Malakpour's assistant.

Malakpour, an Iranian-born woman in her early 30s, is wearing white jeans that have a small heart on the left knee, drawn with a pen. She worked on the previous Stones tour, in 1999, and has styled Jagger in his solo career. She forms a link between him and the fashion industry, although her client has his own fashion contacts and judgement, and uses the fashion term "piece" to describe an expensive item of clothing.

For this tour, he wanted to commission pieces from Slimane, whom he had met socially. He had also been struck by the handsomely weathered T-shirts made by Buddhist Punk, a London company. Malakpour had the task of calling these designers, adding ideas of her own, seeing the European menswear shows and, then, in June, arranging a presentation and fitting session in Paris.

At 15-minute intervals - in a fairytale scene that lacked only a small boy pointing an impudent finger - designers or their representatives laid out costumes for the approval of the newly entitled Sir Mick, and a London tailor who works with Alexander McQueen took his measurements. Jagger ordered 100 or so items, most of them versions of this year's summer collections, but made in stretchier fabrics or brighter colours or with extra crystals, to catch the light. (A rock star has roughly the same fashion priorities as a six-year-old girl.)

The clothes began to arrive in Toronto, where, during this second fitting, Jagger has the manner of an easygoing but hurried customer being shown property by a real estate agent on his lunch hour. He is due any minute at rehearsal upstairs. To change, he steps into an adjoining bathroom then reappears, saying, "Is the neck too scooped?" or "We are as red as red!" or "It's itchy, too itchy, very itchy, super-itchy."

He tries on a sleeveless Buddhist Punk T-shirt, which has a variation of what Rolling Stones people call the "classic tongue" logo, and two Dior shirts studded with crystals (the crystals spelling out "Mick" on one). He tries on a pair of black leather Nike Air Essential III trainers, explaining that he has the soles doctored for him. "All these sneakers are made to grip more than I really need," he says. He has to be able to spin. "We grind them down, polish the surface."

"In the end, it's all about the trousers," Malakpour tells me. According to Jagger, his perpetual problem with stage trousers is that he expects them to have some give - allowing him to run around on stadium stages like a teenager - but he wants them to be properly cut trousers, not mere leggings. "You're in them a lot, more than anything else," he says. "They've got to keep their shape. And the trouble is, stretch fabrics start to bag. Round your bum or wherever, it all starts bagging and you're endlessly pinning."

He goes into the bathroom and returns in a pair of loose, dark trousers by the young German designer Dirk Schonberger. Turning from the mirror to Malakpour, Jagger says cautiously, "These are baggy enough to move about in. I might be able to wear them onstage. But they're a bit dull, aren't they? He could do others, in different colours apart from grey, he could do ..."

"Exactly," she says. "Red."

"Blue. So it would be a bit more swishy."

"Yes, electric blue."

"Yeah, he could do an electric-blue silk tattered stripe, couldn't he?" Jagger asks. "I don't know, make it not so subtle. I mean, this would be all right for maybe indoor shows or a small theatre. But if you're doing a really big show, a bit of colour."

Jagger has been dressing for the stage for 40 years. The band's first manager, Andrew Oldham, was a "clothes fanatic", Jagger says. "He loved clothes, and that's what managers did then - they dressed up the lads. One of his greatest pleasures was to take you to the tailor. We'd have our street clothes made and our stage clothes, and that was that."

In the '60s Jagger wore suits and thin ties (briefly), then mod shirts and corduroy jackets, then scarves and devilish frills, and the Uncle Sam hat and the black "omega" T-shirt at Altamont. ( "I still have that. I don't know how that managed to survive," he says, adding that his daughters like to raid his wardrobe.) Later, the eyes of the fans were directed with more force towards the Jagger crotch - in embroidered, unzipped Ossie Clark jumpsuits and in tight-laced knee breeches during his sporty, gay-quarterback phase.

Throughout his career, some fundamentals of Jagger's look have remained constant: a hard male core - tightly covered Nureyev abs and crotch - that is teasingly revealed beneath a layer or two of something more feminine. There are similarities between Jagger's recent stage costumes and, say, his celebrated outfit for the Hyde Park concert in 1969; a white "dress", as the newspapers called it, over white pants. (Jagger describes it to me as "a funny, flouncy thing. It wasn't a dress. It was a sort of peasant blouse, gathered here." He points to his upper thigh.)

On this tour, as before, Jagger is likely to take the stage in a three-quarter-length coat, then do a gradual striptease during the first songs; later, he will leave and reappear in a more ornate coat, creating a moment of fashion drama. "It's for one number at the end, and the audience goes 'Ooooh'," he says. Jagger and Malakpour call this all-important piece a "fantasy coat".

One fantasy coat has been ordered from Dior; others are coming from the Italian label Costume National and from Body Worship, a New York company, and two from Alexander McQueen.

Sliding into a long Hedi Slimane coat made of red satin with four lengths of fringe sewn horizontally into the lining (so that when he moves the fringes show), Jagger says, "Da da da!" and then bends his elbows and waves his arms up and down in a familiar flapping dance. It is a gesture of due diligence, not exuberance. Jagger's coats all have extra material under the arms to make this kind of movement easier. "A gusset," Jagger says, enjoying the word.

By now, he can hear Keith Richards singing Heart of Stone upstairs. He goes to join the rehearsal. A few minutes after he leaves, I pass Charlie Watts, a famously enthusiastic clotheshorse, in the corridor. I tell him I am writing about Jagger's stage clothes. "That will keep you busy for half an hour, that will," he says, with feigned scorn.

Two weeks later, on the last day of rehearsals in Toronto, Jagger is again with Malakpour in his dressing room, now modelling his fantasy coat by Body Worship. Constructed from a dozen pairs of shredded jeans, scraps of leather and silk-printed with motifs from previous tours, it features the new tour's logo - a Jeff Koons rendition of lips - and is a history of the Rolling Stones. "We could put Miss Venezuela across the back," Jagger says with a fractional movement of his eyebrow, a reference to the patchwork complexity of his personal life, and his former relationship with Vanessa Neumann, the Venezuelan known in the press as the Cracker from Caracas.

"Twelve pairs of jeans?' Jagger says, smiling. "Makes me sound fat.

"Only in the very early days did I not have something special to wear onstage," he says. "Part of the process of going onstage is to become a stage person. And even if I wore these trousers" - he had arrived at rehearsal in a T-shirt and Dirk Schonberger trousers - "on the day that I put them on for the stage they're stage trousers. Getting dressed. Any actor will tell you the same."

The only time Jagger performs without dressing the part is when he is drawn into an impromptu guest duet. "My first worry is, 'What am I wearing?' Say I go and see Lenny Kravitz or Sheryl Crow, there's always a great danger of them asking you. They may not. You never ask, 'Can I sing with you?' You wait until you're asked, and then if you're wearing the wrong thing you're in trouble." He laughs. "The clothes are important. Guitar players always think it's about what they play, you know. Lead singers have another attitude."

He looks in the mirror and says to Malakpour, "More crystals?"

"I would say, don't you think?"

"Yeah. A bit. Just a bit more sparkle."

29 inch waist!!
What a man, our Mick! See ladies and gents, he's still concerned about the fit of his trousers!! And so are we!!!

LadyJ.

02-14-03 11:50 PM
throbby Very interesting reading. Thank you.
02-15-03 10:00 AM
LadyJane Your welcome, Throbby! I thought it was an appropriate read for this thread!! Besides, it's nice to contribute rather than just wait to gawk at your pic of the day!!

BTW, I had the strangest dream. I dreamt that you posted a thank you and went on to mention that you were a clotheshorse yourself and had something like a 31 inch waist, but were taller than Mick!! CRAZY!! Methinks Lady J is spending waaayyy too much time on the Board!!

LadyJ.

02-15-03 10:13 AM
gypsy Mick has the cutest butt! I noticed that at the concert (in OKC--lame crowd--wish some RO people could've been there).
02-15-03 10:50 AM
throbby Lady Jane, no dream just me posting before thinking. After thinking about it I decided it came across as unseemly boasting on my part. I will be sending Voodoo some photos though. My delay in doing so is due to the fact that I haven't yet been able to find a shirtless photo, which, as per Max, is needed to qualify for the shirtless singer position as discussed on the photo thread.

I truly enjoyed reading the above article.
02-15-03 11:16 AM
LadyJane "Unseemly boasting"???!!! Throbby, considering the amount of boasting, gloating and innuendo-filled commentary by other male members of the Board, your comments were understated.

I say you are a gentleman, and I for one, find it very refreshing!!

Now go find a photo for me to gawk at!!

LadyJ.

BTW. Your story of the MTV show made me green with envy!! Especially the interaction between you and Keith during "Sister Morphine"!!! Had I been in your shoes, I would have fainted!!
02-15-03 03:03 PM
parmeda ok Throbby...
I'm ready, and waiting patiently
02-15-03 03:16 PM
throbby Sorry Parmeda. I'm not one to keep a lady waiting.

thank you stoneslib
02-15-03 03:35 PM
parmeda ahhhhh....
I feel much better now.

Thanks!
02-15-03 03:41 PM
throbby LadyJane wrote:
BTW. Your story of the MTV show made me green with envy!! Especially the interaction between you and Keith during "Sister Morphine"!!! Had I been in your shoes, I would have fainted!!

Let me tell you what my wife experienced at the first Hartford show on the No Security tour. I hope she doesn't read this, it's not bad but she hates it when attention is drawn to her. We had seats right next to the B stage for this show. My wife brought a disposable camera with her and when the Stones start their B stage set she's snapping away. They finish the set and Keith walks over to her and grabs her hand and places his guitar pick in her palm and then closes both of his hands around her hand, looks her in the eye, smiles and nods his head. Now if that wasn't enough, Mick is lingering on the B stage and grabs his digital camera over by Charlie's drum kit. Mick then walks back to the middle of the stage squats down, looks at my wife, winks, flashes a big smile, tells her to smile and snaps her picture. Quite an evening she had in '99.

If I'm able I will send some of the photos from that night to Voodoo to post.
02-15-03 03:45 PM
parmeda
quote:
throbby wrote:
If I'm able I will send some of the photos from that night to Voodoo to post.

If....IF, you say?

(Great story....hook up with Voo on those pics!)
02-15-03 05:20 PM
Miss U. wOW, Throbby!!! Great story...and I, too, am waiting to see your pix....(no pressure there, huh!) But honestly, there can never be another Mick...sigh.

Thx for all these new additions of Mick, can't stay away from this thread for too long! And Moonisup, that is my *favorite* picture of Mick, the B&W one of him smiling in the glitzy coat!!

Right on Parmeda, Mick=glitz.

LadyJane, that is the perfect V-day gift. Glad u had a great time in Vegas, and thx again.
[Edited by Miss U.]
02-15-03 05:42 PM
luxury1 There--that's it--the bottom pic on this thread--my all-time favorite. HOw come they never do that anymore??
02-15-03 06:14 PM
LadyJane Lux--As usual, I couldn't agree with you more! I LOVE that pic of Mick and Keith. I just picked up my photos from Vegas and the disposable cameras just look like shit compared to all the digital shots. However, I did manage to catch one of Mick and Keith holding hands during the intros. It made me cry. One week ago right now I was at the MGM Grand.

Throbby--There are no words to describe your story. If that had been me, the paramedics would definitely have been called!! Throbby and Wife==Stones Magnets!! When the boys head back this way again, I'm kidnapping both of you and taking you to a show!!

Parmy and Miss U--great to see your photos. I can't believe all three of you (Lux included), and Gypsy are blondes. Now, if I could just convince the Hubby that I'm not putting myself in grave cyber space danger, I'd send my pic to Voodoo!! I think I'm the only redhead around here.

BTW, is it just me or does the guy in the front row of the first pick look like he's giving serious thought to his sexual preference??? LOL

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!

LadyJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
02-15-03 07:57 PM
throbby Funny you should mention the photographer in the front row of the first photo. I wondered the same thing and almost posted the photo on the earlier "cockdance" thread to show Mick's erotic pull on both sexes.
02-15-03 08:02 PM
throbby A couple more cool photos from '75

02-15-03 08:06 PM
Moonisup

02-15-03 08:06 PM
parmeda LadyJ, I hate to disappoint ya...
I have very dark hair...I have it hi-lighted and for some reason, it shows up 'blonde' in some photos. Ask sirmoonie one day, he can vouch for me

Throbby...just keep these coming babe.
02-15-03 08:15 PM
LadyJane Parmy--You could never disappoint! I actually pictured you as a brunette!!

Speaking of disappointment--I'm ready to take the plunge and let you see me!!

How do I send some pics from Vegas to the Board? Should I e-mail them to Voodoo?? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

LadyJ.
02-15-03 08:18 PM
luxury1 Well, I aint answering this one, LadyJ!!
BTW--I'm not blonde either.
02-15-03 08:21 PM
LadyJane Quit giving away your secrets, ladies!!

I'll PM Voodoo for help! I want to send the backstage photos of the guitars and one of me (ugh)!

LadyJ.

PS. Re the "water throwing" photo from '75. Mick was such a tease on that tour. My first stadium show ever and my best friend and I were right up front and got drenched!! The minute I got home, I took the jeans and Stones tee I was wearing and put them away--never to be worn again. I considered it a "baptism" of sorts. I've got to look for that box!!
[Edited by LadyJane]
02-15-03 09:09 PM
throbby Some more shared mic pics

[Edited by throbby]
02-15-03 09:28 PM
parmeda Throbby...you & Stoneslib are so loved!
I'm seriously thinking of making a slide-show of all the photos, only to have them projected off of my ceiling each night before I fall asleep, LOL...

LadyJ...definately get ahold of Voodoo, or Jaxx. They'd be more than happy to help you. Get those pics up here for us to see! We're chomping at the bit...
02-15-03 09:38 PM
LadyJane I just e-mailed Voodoo, Pam!

All in all the pics from the show itself weren't that great! But what can you expect from a disposable camera? I got some very lovely shots of the people's heads in rows 1-4, though!!

There is one of me standing against the catwalk just before the lights went down that, believe it or not, my Husband insists on my posting. Then there are four shots taken backstage of the guitars. Very cool!! Hopefully they will be up under the "MGM--02/08...etc" thread by tomorrow.

Throbby, you are outdoing yourself with these latest photos!The addition of Keith is much appreciated!!

LadyJ.

PS When you order the slideshow, Parm, make sure you get a copy for me!! Great idea!!! LOL

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST