ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Radio City Music Hall, New York City, March 14 2006
© Throbby... thanks!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Acting Rock Stars Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th March 2006 10:05 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Dennis Quaid as Jerry Lee Lewis
Joachim Phoenix as Johnny Cash
Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison
Gary Busey as Buddy Holly

etc....any thoughts?

12th March 2006 10:24 AM
Ten Thousand Motels It seems to me that its kind of hard, if not impossible, to to do and be convincing. Great acting takes one into the character and makes you forget that you're watching an actor. It's hard to do, Don Knotts did it with Barney Fife though. Fife became an entitey in himself. Acting a long dead historical figure is easier than acting a recently deceased or living rock star. No? When one watches John Wayne, Al Pacino or Clint Eastwood you "know" you're watching an actor as good as the performance might be.
12th March 2006 10:27 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
12th March 2006 12:11 PM
theanchorman
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:When one watches John Wayne, Al Pacino or Clint Eastwood you "know" you're watching an actor as good as the performance might be.

Clint Eastwood???bawahahahahahahaahahaha!!!!

What kind of meds are you on?

12th March 2006 12:14 PM
theanchorman I always thought that irish guy in Usual Suspects would make a great Keith...
12th March 2006 12:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
theanchorman wrote:

Meds? Clint Eastwood is the greatest cowboy actor ever. Defined by a mere one or two roles....The Good the Bad and the Ugly and an additional Spaghetti Western or two. You can't top that anymore than you top the Rolling Stones. Sure its possible but unlikely.
12th March 2006 12:37 PM
Ten Thousand Motels "The question that you have to ask yourself is do I feel lucky. Well do ya punk"

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
12th March 2006 12:51 PM
theanchorman
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Meds? Clint Eastwood is the greatest cowboy actor ever. Defined by a mere one or two roles....The Good the Bad and the Ugly and an additional Spaghetti Western or two. You can't top that anymore than you top the Rolling Stones. Sure its possible but unlikely.

Sorry - I never thought of Clint as an accomplished actor...
12th March 2006 01:04 PM
gorda
quote:
Dennis Quaid as Jerry Lee Lewis
Joachim Phoenix as Johnny Cash
Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison
Gary Busey as Buddy Holly

etc....any thoughts?

Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash was hot!

HOT! HOT! HOT!

I never thought of him as sexy, but after I saw him in Walk The Line, he just blew me away!

Wooooooooooooooo! Baby!

P.S. I have never seen the Doors movie, in it's entirety, but Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison was also hot, but never as hot as the real JIm Morrison!
12th March 2006 01:15 PM
Taptrick
You will find a lot of people consider Play Misty For Me, High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale Rider, The Unforgiven, The Bridges of Madison County, Mystic River, or Million Dollar Baby to be positive accomplishments for Clint Eastwood. I like Heartbreak Ridge a lot as well.
12th March 2006 01:16 PM
MrPleasant Eastwood is great. He knows he's a limited performer and, so, he never, ever, overdoes it. (Unlike, say, Pacino.) I think he was the best thing in Million Dollar Baby.
12th March 2006 01:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
theanchorman wrote:
Sorry - I never thought of Clint as an accomplished actor...

That's not really the point. Clint isn't a "great actor" BUT he has created "the image", No one really considers Don Knotts as a "Great Actor"... at least not in his lifetime. But he made Barney Fife real....back to my original post, Knotts made Fife an entity apart from himself. That's hard if not impossible to do for an actor. Clint, on the other hand plays "himself."....and he made a go of it. There aren't many "great actors" on screen, if any. Even the Great Bogie played on his "character". The highly underrated Edward G. Robinson couldn't escape the character trap either. Not many have. Knotts is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
12th March 2006 01:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels This guy understood "cool" early on.
12th March 2006 01:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
12th March 2006 01:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
12th March 2006 01:36 PM
gorda I thought Jennifer Lopez playing Selena was pretty good.
12th March 2006 01:41 PM
MrPleasant Yes, she's an adequate actress. Too bad her voice is irritating.
12th March 2006 01:46 PM
the good
quote:

You are now my favorite poster!!!!!!! And will be greeted with enthusiasm!
12th March 2006 01:49 PM
gorda I have never seen The Good, The Bad and The Ugly in it's entirety. One thing that pisses me off is when men abuse women. And, at the beginning of that movie, this guy slaps this woman across the face! It pisses me off so much! It makes my blood boil.

My brothers used to watch that movie all the time. In fact, I think they each own different versions of it. They have it on VHS widescreen and regular screen and now finally on DVD.

Even though, I don't like that movie, I do find the love/hate relationship between the two main characters interesting. They have to get along, because otherwise they can't find the gold.

The scenes that are most memorable in my mind, aside from the slapping scene, are the one where "Cuco"(I forgot his name, the one that keeps shouting, "Gringo".) Anyways, he's on a horse with an umbrella, all fresh and relaxed and he's dragging poor Clint across the sand! And, the fact that he's so fair, his skin is all red, and blistered. Oh! So, so sad!

But, he gets even at the end, leaves poor "Cuco"(Is that his name?) standing on a cross, trying to balance himself with a rope around his neck, the gold coins at his feet, if he jumps off, he will be killed! And, he's yelling "Gringo". I don't know how it ends though, does Clint shoot the rope off from far away? And he gets saved?

P.S. Do y'all know where the word "gringo" comes from? It comes from when American soldiers were marching through California when it was still a part of Mexico singing "Oh, where the green grass grows . . ." And, the Mexicans were like, "Look! Gringos!"

Ha! Ha! I don't know if it's true, but it's pretty funny!
12th March 2006 01:49 PM
the good
quote:
theanchorman wrote:

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend. Those who understand Eastwood's greatness, and idiots. Your an idiot.
12th March 2006 01:58 PM
gorda
quote:
the good wrote:

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend. Those who understand Eastwood's greatness, and idiots. Your an idiot.

Eminem mentions Clint Eastwood in one of his rap songs! I forget which one!

P.S. Clint Eastwood is AN ACTOR! He is not a real cowboy!

I guess that is the sign of a good actor when people start believing you are like your character?
12th March 2006 01:59 PM
the good
quote:
gorda wrote:
I have never seen The Good, The Bad and The Ugly in it's entirety. One thing that pisses me off is when men abuse women. And, at the beginning of that movie, this guy slaps this woman across the face! It pisses me off so much! It makes my blood boil.

Gorda, Lee Van Cleef is the Bad. He's not supposed to make you like him. He is a GREAT actor.

The greatest scene in the G, B,& U by far is when Tuco is running through the cemetery in seach of the grave. One of the most brilliantly allegorical scenes in the history of film. And the music is SPECTACULAR. If I could find the woman who sang that soprano I would marry her. Hats off to Ennio Morricone for an amazing score. WHAH, WHAH, WHAH...
12th March 2006 02:03 PM
gorda
quote:
the good wrote:

Gorda, Lee Van Cleef is the Bad. He's not supposed to make you like him. He is a GREAT actor.

The greatest scene in the G, B,& U by far is when Tuco is running through the cemetery in seach of the grave. One of the most brilliantly allegorical scenes in the history of film. And the music is SPECTACULAR. If I could find the woman who sang that soprano I would marry her. Hats off to Ennio Morricone for an amazing score. WHAH, WHAH, WHAH...

Tuco! That's his name!

P.S. Metallica always starts their concerts with music from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly!
12th March 2006 02:04 PM
theanchorman
quote:
gorda wrote:

Eminem mentions Clint Eastwood in one of his rap songs! I forget which one!

P.S. Clint Eastwood is AN ACTOR! He is not a real cowboy!

I guess that is the sign of a good actor when people start believing you are like your character?

Clit plays the same role every damn movie....
12th March 2006 02:11 PM
MrPleasant So did Chaplin (except for Monsieur Verdoux).
12th March 2006 02:20 PM
gorda
quote:
the good wrote:

. . .If I could find the woman who sang that soprano I would marry her. . . .

Okay, I didn't want to tell you, but I sang that soprano!
So, I guess this means we are engaged! Perfect!

First, you need to buy me a huge diamond ring.

Then, are you Catholic? Because, even though, I'm not a practicing Catholic, I have always wanted to get married in a church. The Carmel Mission would be perfect, and we could invite Clint and Dina to the wedding.

Now, let's see, I want flowers, lots of flowers! A mariachi, of course! Am I forgetting something?

Then, I want to go take pictures by the beach!

Afterwards, we'll have the reception at the Doubletree in Monterey! Which will be perfect, because afterwards we can fly straight out of the Monterey Airport towards our honeymoon destination which will be Hawaii!

You do have money to pay for all this?

P.S. I'm in my 30's, so I want to start a family right away! My biological clock is ticking! I'd say 4 kids would be perfect!

P.S.S. I want all my kids to go to private school, because the public school system is a mess!

Furthermore, I want to be a stay-at-home mom, because I'm tired of working. I won't go back to work until the youngest is in pre-school!

So what do you say? Is the engagement still on?
12th March 2006 03:17 PM
exile I though Val Kilmer did a great job playing JM in The Doors Movie.
12th March 2006 04:05 PM
the good
quote:
gorda wrote:

Okay, I didn't want to tell you, but I sang that soprano!
So, I guess this means we are engaged! Perfect!

First, you need to buy me a huge diamond ring.

Then, are you Catholic? Because, even though, I'm not a practicing Catholic, I have always wanted to get married in a church. The Carmel Mission would be perfect, and we could invite Clint and Dina to the wedding.

Now, let's see, I want flowers, lots of flowers! A mariachi, of course! Am I forgetting something?

Then, I want to go take pictures by the beach!

Afterwards, we'll have the reception at the Doubletree in Monterey! Which will be perfect, because afterwards we can fly straight out of the Monterey Airport towards our honeymoon destination which will be Hawaii!

You do have money to pay for all this?

P.S. I'm in my 30's, so I want to start a family right away! My biological clock is ticking! I'd say 4 kids would be perfect!

P.S.S. I want all my kids to go to private school, because the public school system is a mess!

Furthermore, I want to be a stay-at-home mom, because I'm tired of working. I won't go back to work until the youngest is in pre-school!

So what do you say? Is the engagement still on?

Well, first let me say I'm so flatterd!
But aren't you a bit young to have sung that score? The movie came out in 1966. Hmmmmm....
But you wouldn't want to marry me Gorda. Like I said from the first, I'm, I'm the worst, kind of guy for you to be around...

Plus, Gorda, if your going to be a stay at home Mom, sitting around and watching sopa operas all day, I'm going to expect you to at least keep the house nice and clean. I'll also expect you to have a hot dinner waiting for me on the table when I come home at 6 every evening.

And 4 kids! Gorda, your going to send me to an early grave!!!
12th March 2006 10:04 PM
gorda
quote:
the good wrote:

Well, first let me say I'm so flatterd!
But aren't you a bit young to have sung that score? The movie came out in 1966. Hmmmmm....

1966? Oops! Okay, so I didn't sing it! Why are you so focused on such a small little detail like that?

P.S. I expect you to be home by 5:30! 5:45 at the latest!

Plus, I will only cook dinner Monday through Thursday. Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I want to go out to eat to some nice restaurants!

P.S.S. Okay, we'll only have 2 kids then!

12th March 2006 10:09 PM
M.O.W.A.T. What about Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn? I thought Coal Miner's Daughter was a great movie.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)