ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Radio City Music Hall, New York City, March 14 2006
© Throbby... thanks!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: GIVE BONO & U2 A BREAK & STOP MOANING ABOUT SET LISTS Return to archive
11th March 2006 04:16 AM
mjk All this angst towards Bono & U2 on this site really pisses me off . Dont get me wrong i love The Stones & dont let the fact that Jagger is a fucking right wing tory stop me from being a fan . At least Bono has used his celebrity for some postive causes. Finally all this moaning about set lists , mostly from you bloody yanks . GET OVER IT , when The Stones visit Australia next month it will be the FIFTH TOUR THEY HAVE DONE SINCE 1965-Correct me if i am wrong fellow rock historians. I am just bloody greatful i am seeing them again & i dont even care that i have crap seats.
11th March 2006 06:51 AM
Jumping Jack There is no shortage of whiners from Oz on the board!
11th March 2006 12:48 PM
Bruno Stone I'd like to know some things about Mick being a "right wing tory". I know he supported Thatcher in the past. There's more? I'm not ruling out the idea. Just want the facts.
11th March 2006 01:12 PM
pdog In the name that all we hold dear, what the fuck are you talking about?
11th March 2006 01:31 PM
Ihavelotsajam Could you PLEASE go back to the U2 board?
11th March 2006 02:00 PM
MrPleasant IN THE NAME OF LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (*farts*)
11th March 2006 03:21 PM
full moon HEX.. Fuck u and U2.....
11th March 2006 06:12 PM
jb Bono sucks!!! And so does U2 and Aerosmith........Stones #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11th March 2006 06:14 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jb wrote:
Bono sucks!!! And so does U2 and Aerosmith........Stones #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who is #2?

Aerosmith = turd
11th March 2006 06:15 PM
glencar Mick is to the left of T. Blair. This guy has no idea what he's talking about.
11th March 2006 06:25 PM
the good The only thing I would like to add to this thread is that U2 sucks and the setlists suck.

11th March 2006 06:26 PM
glencar Does U2 mix up their setlists or is the same thing night after night?
11th March 2006 06:48 PM
Sir Stonesalot So you want us to give Bono and U2 a break?

OK, I got no problem with that.

You want me to break fingers, knee caps, or skulls? How about a collar bone? Femur? Hip? Jaw(Please say jaw because those are the most fun to busticate!)?

Say it with me people!

Bono is a twat!
11th March 2006 09:19 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
Does U2 mix up their setlists or is the same thing night after night?

No, just 1-2 different songs at the best.
11th March 2006 10:40 PM
voodoopug
quote:
mjk wrote:
All this angst towards Bono & U2 on this site really pisses me off . Dont get me wrong i love The Stones & dont let the fact that Jagger is a fucking right wing tory stop me from being a fan . At least Bono has used his celebrity for some postive causes. Finally all this moaning about set lists , mostly from you bloody yanks . GET OVER IT , when The Stones visit Australia next month it will be the FIFTH TOUR THEY HAVE DONE SINCE 1965-Correct me if i am wrong fellow rock historians. I am just bloody greatful i am seeing them again & i dont even care that i have crap seats.

you shall not be greeted and will probably end up on the enemies list
12th March 2006 04:41 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bruno Stone wrote:
I'd like to know some things about Mick being a "right wing tory". I know he supported Thatcher in the past.

He did? First I've heard of it

He's certainly never admitted to it
12th March 2006 05:12 PM
Bruno Stone
quote:
Gazza wrote:

He did? First I've heard of it

He's certainly never admitted to it

Well, I read in some places (a crappy brazilian musical magazine, I must say) that he did, but I'm not sure, of course. I also read that Hang Fire has something in its lyrics that leads to this idea. Not that he is "oh yeah, I voted for Thatcher, hang fire..." but he talks about lazy people in England from that time, I think. Didn't Thatcher do something to them? You know, that Welfare State stuff... Come on english rocksoffers, help me.

Sorry for being way confuse.
12th March 2006 05:46 PM
Joey " All this angst towards Bono & U2 on this site really pisses me off . Dont get me wrong i love The Stones & dont let the fact that Jagger is a fucking right wing tory stop me from being a fan . At least Bono has used his celebrity for some postive causes. Finally all this moaning about set lists , mostly from you bloody yanks . GET OVER IT , when The Stones visit Australia next month it will be the FIFTH TOUR THEY HAVE DONE SINCE 1965-Correct me if i am wrong fellow rock historians. "

12th March 2006 05:49 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
mjk wrote:
All this angst towards Bono & U2 on this site really pisses me off . Dont get me wrong i love The Stones & dont let the fact that Jagger is a fucking right wing tory stop me from being a fan . At least Bono has used his celebrity for some postive causes. Finally all this moaning about set lists , mostly from you bloody yanks . GET OVER IT , when The Stones visit Australia next month it will be the FIFTH TOUR THEY HAVE DONE SINCE 1965-Correct me if i am wrong fellow rock historians.

12th March 2006 05:57 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bruno Stone wrote:

Well, I read in some places (a crappy brazilian musical magazine, I must say) that he did, but I'm not sure, of course.

Not true

quote:
I also read that Hang Fire has something in its lyrics that leads to this idea. Not that he is "oh yeah, I voted for Thatcher, hang fire..." but he talks about lazy people in England from that time, I think.

'Hang Fire' may be about that subject, but its not overtly party-political. There IS that mentality in the UK, and you dont have to be a Conservative voter to see it.

If Jagger ever could be accused of writing anything that appeared similar to a Conservative party manifesto, it would be the ludicrous "Lets Work".

quote:
Didn't Thatcher do something to them? You know, that Welfare State stuff... Come on english rocksoffers, help me.

Sorry for being way confuse.

I very much doubt that the Rolling Stones would have ever been affected by a health and social security system specifically aimed at helping the more disadvantaged. Plus, it wasnt the Conservative party who introduced it anyway (if anything theyve done a fine job in destroying it, and Labour have continued that depressing trend)

The only thing I can think of was that Charlie Watts (like several hundred thousand other people) refused to pay the Poll Tax (imposed by the Conservative government) in the early 90's as a point of principle and was fined as a result (the tax was only a few hundred pounds and obviously wouldnt have affected him adversely)

The Stones left the UK in 1971 because of the high taxes that the Conservative government (under Edward Heath) were imposing on high earners at the time - once you earned over a certain amount per year, a "supertax" was imposed which could be anything from 83 to 98%.

Thing is, that the Labour party had to reinvent itself as a "Conservative Lite" in the 1990's in order to have a chance of ever winning an election again. "New Labour" is a long way away from what it was 20 or 30 years ago and has even adopted some Thatcherite policies which you would never have expected them to touch in a million years were they still a genuinely left-wing party.

Nowadays, the Conservative party seem to have adopted a similar public charm offensive to help their image and get themselves elected again - which they may well do by the time the next election comes around, by which time Blair will be gone anyway as he will step down as premier in the middle of his current term (probably in the next year or 18 months)

Effectively, whilst Jagger is a New Labour supporter - the difference between that party and the current Conservative party is not as evident as it would have been in the Thatcher era.

Jagger was given a knighthood by Blair's government in 2002, after some dropping some quite transparent hints at wanting one. Given the way Blair dishes out knighthoods to cronies, friends and party supporters (a recent report showed that every Labour supporter who had personally donated £1 million to party funds was subsequently given a knighthood - although they were usually dressed up as being for something else like 'services to industry' or such crap), it wouldnt surprise me if Jagger got a knighthood because of some similar donation. Mick is the only British rock figure to have been given a knighthood for 'services to music'. All of the others (McCartney, Elton etc) received it as a recognition of their charity work (something Mick isnt exactly recognised for)

12th March 2006 07:06 PM
MrPleasant OK, credit given when it's possible: U2 had the good taste to work with Brian Eno.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
12th March 2006 07:45 PM
Bruno Stone Gazza you rock. Is there something about the Stones you can not explain?

Thank you very much for the whole explanation. I was reading a lot of material concerning the punk moviment that rised in England (as if you don't know that ...) and politics at the time, the decadence of the Welfare State, Thatcher, Monarchy, etc.

Thank you again.
12th March 2006 08:41 PM
mjk Thanks Gazza, finally an intelligent response. I didnt realize i would be sprayed with shit for mentioning Bono & U2 . First of all i dont make a habit of discussing other artists unless there is a relevant link . As far as left v right here in Australia the conservative howard government has just celebrated 10 yrs in power. The labour party are limping along like a wounded dog . My comment re Jagger & his supposed tory leanings was rather off hand however i have never got over the fact he supported thatcher "STREET FIGHTIN MAN " immediatley comes to mind.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)