ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Radio City Music Hall, New York City, March 14 2006
© Throbby... thanks!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rick Rubin "MIGHT" be doing a project w/ The Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
10th March 2006 06:27 PM
gotdablouse I was going to post "best news of 2006 so far"...until I read Gazza's message, damn. Do you mind directing to me to that RR quote about his problems working with Mick?

JRCash was a man of hiw own, no, and he gelled with RR so why not the Stones? ABB has some nice tunes, but the lyrics and playing...man, how many more albums riddled with stupid lyrics and poor musicianship do we need? I don't think Mick's written anything of any depth since the "Wandering Spirit" song but that didn't prevent tracks like "Sweet Thing" or WANight from bein on the album so RR can listen too.
10th March 2006 07:11 PM
luxury1 pdog--you better duck next concert. Keith is gonna kick your skinny ass for sayin' he carries Mick's purse.....
10th March 2006 07:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
I was going to post "best news of 2006 so far"...until I read Gazza's message, damn. Do you mind directing to me to that RR quote about his problems working with Mick?

it was archived 2 days ago..here it is

UNCUT :One of your less successful collaborations was with Mick Jagger on his 1993 album "Wandering Spirit". Was Jagger an example of someone you found impossible to work with?

RICK RUBIN : Not impossible, exactly. But he was someone who came to me and said that he'd let me do what I wanted to do. In other words, we planned a collaboration. The problem of working with very well-known people is that they're constantly surrounded by people who tell them that everything they do is great. They never get to hear what they don't want to hear. I can remember looking at some lyrics with Jagger and saying, "I think you can write better words than this." The look on his face.....it was as though to say, "Are you crazy? Nobody says stuff like that to me". As if, y'know, the truth wasn't in his best interests.
10th March 2006 07:24 PM
gotdablouse Thanks, wow scary, but that's the man we NEED, no more "staring at your tits" "one of your cocks" crap, but rather the excellent WS type "I spillt the finest wine, etc..." ! While Macca is not everyone's cup of tea, he had the balls to go through this for hist latest CD and it's certainly served him well from an artistic standpoint. Problem with the Stones is you likely have too many people to deal with. I say RR locks himself up with Mick, Keith and Charlie and this will produce the best thing since Exile, really !
10th March 2006 07:37 PM
Gazza
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Thanks, wow scary, but that's the man we NEED, no more "staring at your tits" "one of your cocks" crap, but rather the excellent WS type "I spillt the finest wine, etc..." ! While Macca is not everyone's cup of tea, he had the balls to go through this for hist latest CD and it's certainly served him well from an artistic standpoint. Problem with the Stones is you likely have too many people to deal with. I say RR locks himself up with Mick, Keith and Charlie and this will produce the best thing since Exile, really !

Every word of what you say is true. No one is better than Rubin at getting the best out of an artist. However, they usually have to get past their ego and go back to school in a way, because of the 'schoolteacher setting homework' way Rubin works. (he goes into this in another recent interview I read about how he worked with Neil Diamond. Fascinating stuff). Oh to be a fly on the wall if Mick turned up with something akin to "the moon is yellow/I'm like jello/staring down your tits"....

If I had one final wish regarding the future of the Stones as a recording act, it would be for them to work with this guy - with the emphasis on the word 'with'. For all the problems he had with Jagger, Mick still got his best ever solo album out of it.

Interesting thing in the Uncut interview was that he says he's done some stuff with Neil Young that hasnt been released (heres hoping it'll be on 'Archives'), that he's going to finish off the final Johnny Cash recordings this year and that the artist he's most like to get a call from is Bob Dylan.

Plus theres the new RHCP double CD out in the next few weeks...
[Edited by Gazza]
10th March 2006 07:38 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:

it was archived 2 days ago..here it is

UNCUT :One of your less successful collaborations was with Mick Jagger on his 1993 album "Wandering Spirit". Was Jagger an example of someone you found impossible to work with?

RICK RUBIN : Not impossible, exactly. But he was someone who came to me and said that he'd let me do what I wanted to do. In other words, we planned a collaboration. The problem of working with very well-known people is that they're constantly surrounded by people who tell them that everything they do is great. They never get to hear what they don't want to hear. I can remember looking at some lyrics with Jagger and saying, "I think you can write better words than this." The look on his face.....it was as though to say, "Are you crazy? Nobody says stuff like that to me". As if, y'know, the truth wasn't in his best interests.

This can not be said enough to Mick if you ask me. "Yes" men are the last thing that the Stones need in the studio. Although I must say that I think that Jagger did a fine job with some of the lyrics on ABB. LIND and BOMH immediately spring to mind. Having said that,there is also some inane tripe on the record as well. Think SNC for example,and no,it has nothing to do with Mick's fucked up political stand,the lyrics are just weak as hell. He could have written lyrics about how Clinton was the most corrupt vile president ever to hold office,but if the lyrics were this weak I would still hate the song regardless of the fact that the sentiment was spot on.

I personally would love to see Daniel Lanois produce the next record. If there will,in fact,be a next record. Lanois gets the most out of the artists that he works with. Take a look at his work with Dylan,TOOM and LAT are great! For that matter,love 'em or hate 'em,U2's best record was The Joshua Tree and Lanois produced that one as well. He is brilliant. Willie Nelson's Teatro is anotherexample of his mastery.

Riffy
10th March 2006 07:41 PM
Gazza agree with every word YOUve said above as well. I think Lanois would be a great choice too (I've said for a few years now they should use either him or Rubin)

I must be in a good mood tonight
10th March 2006 07:44 PM
pdog
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

the most corrupt vile president ever to hold office

Riffy

Everyone knows, if you let a Jewish girl blow you, there'll be serious consequences...

I know we a more alike politically than not... I see no difference between the idiot now and the idiot before him... There is one difference, one was a charismatic idiot and the other is a funny guy idiot.
Idiots Rule!!!
10th March 2006 07:50 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:
agree with every word YOUve said above as well. I think Lanois would be a great choice too (I've said for a few years now they should use either him or Rubin)

I must be in a good mood tonight

You are loved by the Joey,and I think you're the tits as well!

Riffy
10th March 2006 07:59 PM
Riffhard
quote:
pdog wrote:

Everyone knows, if you let a Jewish girl blow you, there'll be serious consequences...

I know we a more alike politically than not... I see no difference between the idiot now and the idiot before him... There is one difference, one was a charismatic idiot and the other is a funny guy idiot.
Idiots Rule!!!

I knew that that remark would raise some hackles around here! LOL!

Truth to tell though I was really just commenting on the shite lyrics of Sweet Neo Con. "You say that you're a Christiiiiaaan,I think that you're a peice of shit!" I mean WTF?!?!? That is just sad,sad,sad to borrow a phrase. It's right up there with "Sharks will cry" if'n ya ask me!

Yo dog I'm loving the disks my brother! They bring bback many fond memories! Stouts,The Garden,New York Fucking City! Good times! Good fuggin times!!

Riffy
10th March 2006 08:28 PM
IanBillen "Yes" men are the last thing that the Stones need in the studio.

True. We need someone who says "yes" to the good and "well lets try this next" when something they come up with are not so good.

Let me clear up a little air from what I may of mis-lead alot of folks on earlier posts:

Sad but true, the things I, and some folks say about needing a Producer to "crack the whip" is, I will openly admit an exaggerated, and over stated saying for what really will go down with a band and their producer. I'll admit it. Truthfully, they don't go in there saying: "This is what it is going to sound like, that song is a no-go, you guys gotta pull that lyric, those chords are not cutting it, this song gotta have more in the choras and that's that."

They work with the artist. If the Producer does not like something it is a game of persuation, suggestion, and compromise. As Rubin says it HAS to be a collaboration.

Sad thing is it is kinda hard to suggest, persuade, and compromise through an album while getting it just the way you want it. However, that is basically what a Great Producer does.

Nine times out of ten you won't get the producer, lable, and the band getting it all everything just as they want it. It is almost always a compromise. That is with The Stones, or ANY band.

So realistically we need a producer who will take chances at suggestion, Persuade to the best of their ability, Compromise as little as possible when they know what they want is right, and keep at it when keeping cool, yet not backing away from what is needed. Realistically, that is the best we will get.

That is all I ask for. It has to be some what on our bands shoulders as well. I want the record I hear to be first and formeost what the Stones are saying and doing. Not what someone eles entirely wants. Gotta be both for it to work.

And, like I said, that is with any group.

Ian
10th March 2006 09:34 PM
Riffhard
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
"Yes" men are the last thing that the Stones need in the studio.

So realistically we need a producer who will take chances at suggestion, Persuade to the best of their ability, Compromise as little as possible when they know what they want is right, and keep at it when keeping cool, yet not backing away from what is needed. Realistically, that is the best we will get.

Ian

Ian you took a long time,and alot of typing to say the same thing that I was driving at. You have also just described Daniel Lanois. So,you know,thanks for that.

Riffy
10th March 2006 09:59 PM
IanBillen [quote]Riffhard wrote:

Ian you took a long time,and alot of typing to say the same thing that I was driving at. You have also just described Daniel Lanois. So,you know,thanks for that.

Riffy

"You have also just described Daniel Lanois":

Yeah he is good. ( Well you know he's better than just "good" but you know what I mean). I really like what he did with U2 and Actung Baby. I am no U2 fan. Never have been. But I really dig that album. I mean, it was really worth wild and lived up to their name for once at least in my opinion. It seemed so cutting edge.

"Ian you took a long time, and alot of typing to say the same thing that I was driving at"

Well yeah, but I had to, you know, clear the air on what I said, and what a few folks may think happens in their when the Producer sits down to write with the band or record with them. Some folks may think The Producer comes in, Mr. Big Shot himself, sun glasses and all, tells everyone to get in their places, and says things to people like "grab that guitar and play it just like that, this is all wrong, don't tell me what you think...I know what I want to hear, those lyrics are pretty lame, you gotta do better than that"....ya-da, ya-da, ya-da.

When, it is really nothing like that in the real situation. Even the most hard nosed Producers don't act really anything like this to the band. It is all such a fine line you know.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
11th March 2006 04:37 AM
IanBillen
Geeze my Kneez...

There I was, thinkin all day about this possibility and what it would bring. Made me think The Stones were I don't know, way ahead of their normal schedule for some reason and possibly already negotiating a new record deal.

Now I am reading it holds 0 water. Which is it? If were going to post something like this lets be sure ya know.

Ian
11th March 2006 04:58 AM
erikjjf
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I personally would love to see Daniel Lanois produce the next record. If there will,in fact,be a next record. Lanois gets the most out of the artists that he works with.

I agree with every word.
11th March 2006 07:57 AM
corgi37 God you guys are dreamers. It took 8 years for ABB. There will be no next record. They wont have a label.

And BTW, in regards to DW selling 3 copies in Ceylon. Er, Ceylon hasnt been called Ceylon for about 40 years!

Just wanted to point that out.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)