ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Radio City Music Hall, New York City, March 14 2006
© Throbby... thanks!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rick Rubin "MIGHT" be doing a project w/ The Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
10th March 2006 01:25 PM
Poison Dart If you picked up the most recent Uncut Magazine. There is a short interview with Rick Rubin where Rubin states he may be doing a project with the Stones.

This would be spectacular news for the Stones. Rubin is one of the few people in the business who could actually stand up to the Stones and really demand they produce a great Stones record.

The only truly great Mick Jagger solo record was Wandering Spirit. Is it any coincedence Rubin wouldn't let Jagger drift off into stupid lyrics and 80's type dance music (GITDW)Rumor has it they didn't get along all that well becasue Rubin didn't let Jagger do whatever he wanted to do.

A new Stones record with Rick Rubin hot on the heels of A Bigger Bang tour would be great. I can't wait to hear this if infact it is true.

The guys over at IORR have also picked up on this story.
10th March 2006 01:37 PM
Break The Spell I just read that in Uncut, I think the results will be very good, considering he brought out the best of Mick solo wise, as you stated. If they do record with him, hopefully it will be soon after the fall 06 tour so that great vibe of the tour and live energy carries over into the studio. Most of 2006, possibly early 07, Rick will be working with Metallica, but after that hopefully he'll be able to give full attention to this project if it does happen.
10th March 2006 01:37 PM
pdog We know The boys need someone in the studio who won't be a "yes" man...
Keith needs to put down the purse he's been carrying for Jagger too, and act like it's his band again too.
10th March 2006 01:38 PM
The Wick This would be outstanding. No more Was please. His production is boring and lightweight. As long as Rubin stays away from his garbage rap roots, I'll be thrilled.
10th March 2006 01:47 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
The Wick wrote:
This would be outstanding. No more Was please. His production is boring and lightweight. As long as Rubin stays away from his garbage rap roots, I'll be thrilled.

Rubin's pretty diverse, he has produced a lot of hip-hop, but he's also produced Slayer, Danzig, Jagger and Cash. Hopefully, the trend of using few, if any outside musicians will continue on to the next album. Rubin's specialty is getting the artist to use the best of their individual talents. The less you use studio trickery and outside musicians and back-up singers, the better.
10th March 2006 01:50 PM
pdog
quote:
The Wick wrote:
This would be outstanding. No more Was please. His production is boring and lightweight. As long as Rubin stays away from his garbage rap roots, I'll be thrilled.

So what you're saying is, we only like part of Rubins work, and deny his entire history. It may be the way you want to think, but it's ignorant. Rubin took Slayer riffs, and used them in a Public Enemy song. He worked with both bands. You can't have it both ways. He's either genius or garbage. Good or bad, right?
Not only did Rubin mesh different genres of music, in doing so he created entirely new one by meshing the types of music. His abilty to take chances , created many a great record. His talent played a big part in desegregating music in the 80's. It may be garbage to your ears, and trust me, i'll give you that. I know I hate alot of bands and music... At the same time, it's also important to know the history and see talent in stuff you may not like. If you love music, it's important to know what you don't like and why you don't like it. Otherwise a remark like rap garbage comes off as just bias and ignorance. I don't like what pop music did to rap and hip hop, but at the same time, in the past, I heard stuff in that genre that was a rebellious as rock and roll ever could be. For that, i'm eternally grateful, and still like to hear the old school shit from time to time. Rick Rubin was a huge part in this happening. And that my friend is a historical fact.
10th March 2006 02:09 PM
gimmekeef The mere fact that there is some story regarding future recording projects is great news.I'm just now getting over the SOL debacle though...
10th March 2006 02:27 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
The mere fact that there is some story regarding future recording projects is great news.I'm just now getting over the SOL debacle though...

Hopefully you gave A Bigger Bang a chance at least, as SOL don't represent the album as a whole, just like ASMB didn't represent Bridges properly.
10th March 2006 02:35 PM
The Wick
quote:
pdog wrote:

So what you're saying is, we only like part of Rubins work, and deny his entire history. It may be the way you want to think, but it's ignorant. Rubin took Slayer riffs, and used them in a Public Enemy song. He worked with both bands. You can't have it both ways. He's either genius or garbage. Good or bad, right?
Not only did Rubin mesh different genres of music, in doing so he created entirely new one by meshing the types of music. His abilty to take chances , created many a great record. His talent played a big part in desegregating music in the 80's. It may be garbage to your ears, and trust me, i'll give you that. I know I hate alot of bands and music... At the same time, it's also important to know the history and see talent in stuff you may not like. If you love music, it's important to know what you don't like and why you don't like it. Otherwise a remark like rap garbage comes off as just bias and ignorance. I don't like what pop music did to rap and hip hop, but at the same time, in the past, I heard stuff in that genre that was a rebellious as rock and roll ever could be. For that, i'm eternally grateful, and still like to hear the old school shit from time to time. Rick Rubin was a huge part in this happening. And that my friend is a historical fact.

You understood what I said incorrectly, although I don't like rap, apart from some stuff. I love Public Enemy and a few other things I heard in New York a while ago, but generally, I find it boring and very unsophisticated. The way 90% of rap is just based on rhyming any and every word with a preceding word is the lowest form of lyric writing. I don't deny their talents to actually rap, because it's incredibly difficult to actually rap, it's the content that I have a problem with. Not the morality angle, because I don't give a toss about that, but I just find it incredibly overrated and boring. People always try to point to things like the Beastie Boys and others as an example of good music, but I can't stand the music. In terms of social expression and voice, beautiful and I absolutely agree that it is often the only form of expression for people who live horrid lives in horrid places, but in terms of personal taste I can't stand it. Desegregation is wonderful, adventurous producers are great, it's just that with the Stones, I don't want too many attempts at trying to mix the new with the old. My comment was meant more because of that. Jagger is always dying to mix in something new and what you end up with are horror shows like Goddess. I said garbage rap more in that context, meaning that Jagger will jump at the chance of doing something like that, and considering Rubin's roots, it might come into a new album. If Jagger actually allowed Rubin to make the record he wanted to make with Wandering Spirit and hopefully a new album, I'll be the first to love it.
10th March 2006 02:49 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Hopefully you gave A Bigger Bang a chance at least, as SOL don't represent the album as a whole, just like ASMB didn't represent Bridges properly.

Break...yes I did..its okay..just doesnt have legs..meaning I seldom play it ...too many good boots!...
10th March 2006 02:54 PM
pdog
quote:
The Wick wrote:

You understood what I said incorrectly, although I don't like rap, apart from some stuff. I love Public Enemy and a few other things I heard in New York a while ago, but generally, I find it boring and very unsophisticated. The way 90% of rap is just based on rhyming any and every word with a preceding word is the lowest form of lyric writing. I don't deny their talents to actually rap, because it's incredibly difficult to actually rap, it's the content that I have a problem with. Not the morality angle, because I don't give a toss about that, but I just find it incredibly overrated and boring. People always try to point to things like the Beastie Boys and others as an example of good music, but I can't stand the music. In terms of social expression and voice, beautiful and I absolutely agree that it is often the only form of expression for people who live horrid lives in horrid places, but in terms of personal taste I can't stand it. Desegregation is wonderful, adventurous producers are great, it's just that with the Stones, I don't want too many attempts at trying to mix the new with the old. My comment was meant more because of that. Jagger is always dying to mix in something new and what you end up with are horror shows like Goddess. I said garbage rap more in that context, meaning that Jagger will jump at the chance of doing something like that, and considering Rubin's roots, it might come into a new album. If Jagger actually allowed Rubin to make the record he wanted to make with Wandering Spirit and hopefully a new album, I'll be the first to love it.

I think we're on the same page. It's often diffifcult for me to express my feelings about music, you responded perfectly and opened my eyes towards your own perspective.
10th March 2006 02:58 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
The Wick wrote:
The way 90% of rap is just based on rhyming any and every word with a preceding word is the lowest form of lyric writing.

I don't agree. Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of examples of rap music where they just aim to make everything rhyme, but I'm sure there are plenty of examples of that in other genres of music. I think there’s plenty of rap/hip-hop and urban music, which are lyrically well structured, with actual stories within. . ANYWAY, how is it the lowest form of lyricism and if it is, so what? It's all about the beats, man!
10th March 2006 03:01 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Break...yes I did..its okay..just doesnt have legs..meaning I seldom play it ...too many good boots!...

Ok cool, I know many who didn't give it a shot just because SOL sucked. And yes, there are many great boots of just this tour, haven't had time to play them all yet.
10th March 2006 03:05 PM
IanBillen
Being a record Producer to work with a MAJOR act is really two parts. 1. One Part being the actual Work at hand 2. Being able to get the group to like you, and gel with everyone. Create a good vibe

Trouble is: With a group like The Stones you CANNOT go in cracking the whip off the bat. It just will not work. You have to get the band to believe in you and to relate to you. With a band like the Stones you gotta be "cool" with them. They will not take a Producer Cracking the whip right off the bat, unless they believe in them, and more importantly relate to them.

Trouble is: I can't see Rick Rubin gelling with the dudes that well. I HOPE he does. A week or so I described what would be my idea of The Stones perfect Producer in today's day and age.

I am skepticle if Rubin would work because of this.

*BUT, I must admit. He deserves a shot. And I would be real curious to see the results.

Ian Billen
10th March 2006 03:28 PM
Poison Dart A Rolling Stones/Rick Rubin record would get everyone's attention.

Rubin is such a great producer he brought Neil Diamond back from the dark side this year. Diamond's record made the top ten in the United States soley on the good buzz Rubin brought to the record. Imagine what the man could do for the Stones.

Rubin is the perfect match for the Stones at this point. I'm very excited about this news.
10th March 2006 03:31 PM
Maxlugar [quote]pdog wrote:
I think we're on the same page. It's often diffifcult for me to express my feelings about music, you responded perfectly and opened my eyes towards your own perspective.

Oh shut up and come home! You are in SO much trouble!
10th March 2006 03:33 PM
Joey
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Tell me about it !!!!!!!!

|
|
|
V

10th March 2006 03:42 PM
patioaintdry The last time specualtion about and discussion on a producer for the Stones was in 1985. Steve Lillywhite was brought on and Dirty Work released.

Careful . . .

10th March 2006 03:44 PM
Maxlugar [quote]patioaintdry wrote:
The last time specualtion about and discussion on a producer for the Stones was in 1985. Steve Lillywhite was brought on and Dirty Work released.

Careful . . .

Yeah and you got the hardest rockin' Stones album of all time.

What is wrong with you Dirty Work haters?!?!?!?!
10th March 2006 03:46 PM
Joey
quote:
patioaintdry wrote:
The last time specualtion about and discussion on a producer for the Stones was in 1985. Steve Lillywhite was brought on and Dirty Work released.

Careful . . .

Christ, that's posting on loan from God right there.

That's what my little friends and myself running around the Plains of Nebraska with knickers on and stick ball bats in our hands used to call "Postin'!"

You're POSTIN' baby!

The Joey - As seen on the reality show "That's Postin'!", 10:00 PM CDT Sundays.

JACKY !!!!!

... Jacky ! ... Jacky ! ... Jacky !!!!

JACKY !!!!®
10th March 2006 03:46 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
[quote]patioaintdry wrote:

Careful . . .

Yeah and you got the hardest rockin' Stones album of all time.

What is wrong with you Dirty Work haters?!?!?!?!

The rockers on that album are good, One Hit To The Body being great, Keith's ballad "Sleep Tonight" ends the album on a high note as well. Its on songs like Winning Ugly and Back To Zero where they went wrong. But as a whole, I actually enjoy most of Dirty Work.
10th March 2006 03:48 PM
Joey
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

But as a whole, I actually enjoy most of Dirty Work.

You shall NOT be greeted this fall

|
|
V

10th March 2006 03:50 PM
Break The Spell It looks as if Maxlugar and I are the only ones who enjoy songs off "Dirty Work". Believe it or not, that was actually my first Stones album.
10th March 2006 03:51 PM
Joey
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
It looks as if Maxlugar and I are the only ones who enjoy songs off "Dirty Work". Believe it or not, that was actually my first Stones album.

As of last month's sales figures , Dirty Work has sold eighteen copies worldwide ( three of them in Ceylon alone ) .

Word .
10th March 2006 03:54 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Joey wrote:

As of last month's sales figures , Dirty Work has sold eighteen copies worldwide ( three of them in Ceylon alone ) .

Word .

I have to claim a copy too. However, if I look at the album cover before playing it, there's no possible way for me to like any of the album. Was Keith trying to kick Mick in the crotch??
10th March 2006 03:55 PM
Joey
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Was Keith trying to kick Mick in the crotch??

YES !!!!
10th March 2006 03:59 PM
pdog
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

I would never leave you...
10th March 2006 04:13 PM
Joey " I would never leave you..."

10th March 2006 04:25 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

10th March 2006 05:52 PM
Gazza
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
If you picked up the most recent Uncut Magazine. There is a short interview with Rick Rubin where Rubin states he may be doing a project with the Stones.

The guys over at IORR have also picked up on this story.

I cant believe there are now three threads on IORR, rocks Off and Shidoobee all posting the wrong info - and in the case of the IORR post, theyre still debating it even after its been pointed out by about 3 people that Rubin said no such thing

Rubin DIDNT say he would be working with the Stones.

It was the STOOGES

He mentioned the problems he had working with Jagger (I copied and pasted it elsewhere on this board a few days ago) - reading that its quite obvious that control freaks like Jagger and Richards would never let him produce a Stones record.

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)