ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Radio City Music Hall, New York City, March 14 2006
© Throbby... thanks!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: It's only rock 'n' roll, but Argentines really like it Return to archive Page: 1 2
9th March 2006 10:18 AM
moy It's only rock 'n' roll, but Argentines really like it

By LAUREN SMILEY
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina Aging rockers, you can live your glory days over and over again. But you'll have to come back here: Argentina is the country where fans really rock.

After years of skipping over this rock-crazy South American country where the peso hit bottom in 2001, the big concert acts - aging and not-so-aging acts - are again venturing back to Argentina. The Rolling Stones and U2 just made the stop. Others are on the way.

Argentina, a rock-steeped culture with an overlooked and pent-up fan base, is letting these rockers know they know how to be fans.

The result is a South American fountain of youth, driving aging and not-so-aging rockers back to their prime - lighter-flicking fans, folks shinnying up light poles and others swaying and singing along to every lyric. And what about the women shucking off shirts and doing more than just the Wave?

Big names

Even Bono was impressed when he stopped here a few days ago for two sold-out U2 concerts at a soccer stadium.

"The world needs to know that Argentina is as passionate about music as soccer," he announced as he soaked up the good vibrations before performing to a wild throng of 70,000. It was U2's first concert here in eight years.

In the same stadium last week, the Stones had it even rowdier. "We missed you a lot," Mick Jagger told a crowd that writhed as if one flesh.

In the audience: some 5,000 gate-crashers who surged past the ticket takers and security guards, busting through to ogle their idols for the first time since the Stones played here in 1998. Guitarist Keith Richards knelt to the standing ovation of some 67,000 fans singing "Ole! Ole! Ole! Ole! Ree-chard! Ree-chard!"

In November, when Pearl Jam played Buenos Aires for the first time to 30,000 fans singing every lyric, Eddie Vedder exclaimed: "I think this is the greatest audience we've ever had."

The Red Hot Chili Peppers were one of the few acts to visit after the 2001 crisis, when rioting, supermarket looting and a revolving door of five presidents in two weeks pushed Argentina to the brink of financial collapse. They came in 2002, but otherwise the pickings were slim.

Now, as the economy crawls back and fans in Buenos Aires can afford pricey tickets again, the "Paris of the South" has morphed into a must-stop stopover for top-grossing tours. Santana and Oasis are on the way. The local media are feverishly speculating whether Madonna may come.

Antonio Otoya, 34, who flew in from Peru for U2's concerts, took in the screaming fans outside the hotel where Bono and The Edge holed up. Such bedlam, he said, would never happen in Peru.

"Only in Argentina. They're so passionate," Otoya said.

What's to explain it all? Argentines not only love their rock idols, but love to be loved by them, says Fabio Lacolla, a rock-band psychologist and expert in group dynamics.

"The audience in Argentina is much more narcissistic than other audiences," Lacolla said. "The Argentines want to share center stage with the artists.

"That an artist says that the Argentine audience is marvelous says, in a way, that we exist."

Aging bands, young fans

Here, rock - as opposed to the salsa or reggaeton that dominates some other Latin American countries - continues to be a hot ticket, supported by a 40-year-old national rock movement.

With the influx of foreign music after the end of the military dictatorship in the mid-1980s, the working class connected with the red-blooded Stones lyrics, while university students and professionals connected with the political message of U2, Lacolla says.

But there's also an irony between fan base and band, as evidenced by the vigils outside the tony hotel suite where both the Stones and U2 have stayed while on tour here.

Bono, a champion of eradicating poverty in the Third World, signed T-shirts and made hotel balcony appearances as middle-class Argentines with handbags and wraparound glasses cheered him. He recorded the scene with a camcorder and camera phones.

The Stones mostly stayed shut in all week at their hotel. Outside, rowdy masses - most of them teenagers - banged drums, chanted soccer anthems, climbed manicured trees for a better view, waved homemade Stones flags and swigged spiked soft drinks.

While Stones die-hards in other parts of the world have aged along with Jagger, here the band is prized in large part by angst-y youth. Called "rolingas," the teens hail from working-class neighborhoods of Buenos Aires and wear blunt bangs and shaggy hair reminiscent of Jagger's 1970's 'do.

Old-school fans - called "Estones" in Spanglish - have been around as long as the band has; the "rolinga" movement gained steam in the past decade with the rise of many local Stones-style bands.

Among the working class, some say, affinity for rock is matched only by affinity for soccer. Listen, for example, to Silvil Spadafora, 37, who has his own U2 tribute show on the radio and said, "The Stones are a religion. U2 is a devotion."

"Here, it's soccer and rock 'n' roll," Spadafora said. "You're born with a soccer ball and at 8 years old, you put on your headphones with rock music. And the fans are the same - defending their favorites to the death."
9th March 2006 10:24 AM
glencar I've got an acquaintance who goes down there frequently for business. Loves the place.
9th March 2006 10:53 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The shows in Buenos Aires and not just the shows but the whole thing, the parties, the "Rolling Stones Cultural Event" the people specially the one from BdP (http://rocksoff.org/foro ), the old fans, the real ones, the rollingas, and all that shit made of that trip one that I will never ever forget.

Many of the above applies also for other Latin Countries but Argentina is THE place to see the Stones. If Mexico is hot Argentina is hotter. I've been in several shows since 1981, NYC, NJ, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Hartford, Mexico City and Monterrey but Buenos Aires rocks like no other place!

This is a picture sent by my dearest friend Ignacio V. from Uruguay. In this photo you will see people from Argentina, Chile, Perú, Paraguay, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay, France, Germany, Norway and England (and I think probably more countries). All of them agree about the passion in Argentina, it's a different atmosphere is a wild party.

The anthem "Vamos los Stones.... los stones... los stones... Vamos los Stones" is still ringin’, ringin’ up inside my brain, ding dong oh yeah.

"Oeeee oeoeoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Richaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaards Richaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaards"

"Oeeee oeoeoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Jaggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Jaggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer"

Oh baby... I want to be back in time and enjoy those shows again.

Argentina I love you

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
9th March 2006 10:53 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Most of the people in the photo is a regular at BdP ( http://rocksoff.org/foro ) but some are also well known regulars HERE at this board and IORR's Tell Me. Can you recognize them?
9th March 2006 11:29 AM
Break The Spell I recognize a few, many I don't. Perhaps you can help us out with some names.
9th March 2006 12:07 PM
Madafaka What a nice words, maldito cabrón!
You're always welcome down here, you know.
9th March 2006 12:29 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanks Madafaka! Same here save some bucks and come here... you'll enjoy it, I'm sure
[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
9th March 2006 12:35 PM
Jumacfly I wouldn t like to attend a show behind Madafaka the giant!!

(if I m wrong please dear Voodoo delete this message or I will live a big moment of solitude)

Great pics!
Who are the French guys?
the one that don t smile probably??
just kidding,Argentina f*ckin' rules!!
9th March 2006 01:02 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Who are the French guys?

Is only one, Anthony (I think Antoine is his name) who attended the first show and the event. You'll find Antoine in the top row far right in brown
9th March 2006 01:06 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
I wouldn t like to attend a show behind Madafaka the giant!!

Yes, he's big in all senses! 33 cm more than me, he's 1.95 m (6' 5")

This is him with me having a good time in the south hemisphere!

9th March 2006 01:32 PM
Jumacfly fucking cool pic!!
you are the other kings
9th March 2006 01:36 PM
Madafaka Yes, I'm the giant one! Hahaha.

Great pic with Voodoo. Great moments.
I need a time machine!
9th March 2006 04:22 PM
Tom Next time I will be there sounds like the place to be
9th March 2006 06:07 PM
Soldatti Great article.
9th March 2006 06:10 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl It was also a great place to meet not just fans from Argentina but from all over the world

Café La Barra

Alex (Chile), Voodoo (Mexico), Marcelo (Argentina), Bjornulf (Norway), Cucho (Perú) and Estela (Argentina) (see her lovely Rocks Off tee for ladies only)

9th March 2006 06:52 PM
tumbling dice I´m brazilian,but the two best stones concert of my life were in Buenos Aires.The first night of Bridges in 98 was amazing and second night in 2006 was even better!!The brazilians,italians and spanish were passionate too but the hermanos argentinos are the biggest stones fans!
9th March 2006 08:17 PM
pdog I just watched THe DVD a very cool person sent me from the Argentina show. Great fans, maybe the best I've ever seen at a show... It was like seeing The Philly 81 crowd again.
I've decided I want to have sex with Argentinian women exclusively...
9th March 2006 09:33 PM
Madafaka
quote:
pdog wrote:
I've decided I want to have sex with Argentinian women exclusively...

LOL!
9th March 2006 10:09 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Of one thing I'm sure Pdog, I bought some "GENTE" magazines for a couple of friend in France and the USA and one for me. The most interesting thing there are not the Stones LOL... Specially on page 54
9th March 2006 11:21 PM
Estela GRACIAS, MUCHAS GRACIAS POR TUS PALABRAS HACIA MI PAIS Y MI GENTE!

That's all I can say every time, carnalito!
Gazza, we really miss you! You deserved to be here!
10th March 2006 09:15 AM
Estela
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
This is a picture sent by Juan Ignacio Ignacio the owner of a bar dedicated to the Rolling Stones only

Just 2 tips:

1) The BdP pic was taken by Natalia (Ignacio's fiancé), not Juan Ignacio.
Ignacio was one of the nice group who came from Uruguay.

2) Madafaka was the designer of the Midnight Rambler t-shirt that you were wearing "every and each day" in Argentina. 8)
Max, you made a great job as usual!!!!!!!!
10th March 2006 09:49 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Estela wrote:
Just 2 tips:

1) The BdP pic was taken by Natalia (Ignacio's fiancé), not Juan Ignacio.
Ignacio was one of the nice group who came from Uruguay.

2) Madafaka was the designer of the Midnight Rambler t-shirt that you were wearing "every and each day" in Argentina. 8)
Max, you made a great job as usual!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much, Estela!
10th March 2006 12:05 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Madafaka wrote:

Thank you very much, Estela!

I love this tee shirt Max, have you any stock left??
10th March 2006 12:24 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
I love this tee shirt Max, have you any stock left??

I'll ask Marcelo and I'll tell you asap!
10th March 2006 01:08 PM
gimmekeef World wide appeal after 40+ years..freakin amazing.Sounds like the fans in Argentina know how to party.Gotta love em for that!
10th March 2006 03:23 PM
Rolling Stones Argen Muy bueno! Thanks for these words my friend Gerardo
10th March 2006 03:36 PM
Joey

< ------ Thanks So Much Estela
10th March 2006 03:37 PM
Chuck Argentina rocks!!!!!!!!!!!
10th March 2006 07:08 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes they do!

Thanks BV
11th March 2006 04:32 PM
Ignacio Voodoo, pleased to meet you!!
Great People!!

Thanks "Aunt Estela" for the explanations.

Greetings, Ignacio.

Pd: Pido disculpas por mi limitado ingles...
[Edited by Ignacio]
[Edited by Ignacio]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)