ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Radio City Music Hall, New York City, March 14 2006
© Throbby... thanks!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Darryl Jones or Bill Wyman? Return to archive Page: 1 2
7th March 2006 11:41 AM
mcclellan28 Is Darryl Jones really that much of a better bass player than Bill Wyman? A friend of mine plays bass and insists this is the case, but I just don't hear it.
7th March 2006 11:44 AM
jb Wyman fit the Stones perfectly and they have never achievwed that sound since he left. Darly is technically better and very
good, but he does not have those little nuances that Keith, Charlie and Bill had in their prime.
7th March 2006 11:54 AM
Joey

Saturday afternoon , whilst running errands all day , I listened to my " Hampton '81 " CD over and over again in the car and I must admit ........ Bill truly is the " Lil' Hands that Could " .. a terrific bass player who is missed by all .......................... and Charlie ?!?!

J. " Snuggle to the Joe " Fly !
7th March 2006 11:56 AM
pdog If I had a say in this...
Bill !!!
Sorry D, you're good, BUT!!! you're just the help...
7th March 2006 12:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
Darly is technically better and very
good, but he does not have those little nuances that Keith, Charlie and Bill had in their prime.

What jb said.
7th March 2006 12:12 PM
Break The Spell Wow, another Bill thread, is he secretly among us here?? Live Darryl is very good and is probably capable of more to be honest. In the studio however, Bill is badly needed, imagine how much better ABB would be if bill laid down his signature groove on it. You just can't replicate the magic of the Watts / Wyman rhythm section no matter how good of a technical player you are.
7th March 2006 01:26 PM
gustavobala i prefer bill
7th March 2006 06:11 PM
Soldatti Bill by a mile.
7th March 2006 07:06 PM
Loki The Stones have never been about musicianship. They're proof that great song writing is a greater talent than raw technical skill.

Wyman just fit The Stones sound, while Daryl strikes me as more of a session musician... Technically great but soulless.
7th March 2006 09:04 PM
yellerstang The difference is Bill plays behind the beat. His bass notes strike a few milleseconds AFTER Charlie's bass and snare beats. That's what gives the songs (especially early 70's-81) that shuddering effect. That is the magic/groove of Bill.

Darryl simply doesn't do that. And why should he. If he did, he'd probably just get accused of copying Bill.

Listen to "Worried about You" on TTY (Bill). Then listen to the 40 licks "live" version (Darryl).

I think the studio version just pulses amazingly, while the live one just seems lifeless.
7th March 2006 09:26 PM
Kilroy
quote:
jb wrote:
Wyman fit the Stones perfectly and they have never achievwed that sound since he left. Darly is technically better and very

This says it all. Very well said, let me add one thing It's one thing to walk a path that has been laid out, it's another to lay down the path, as Wyman did.
8th March 2006 12:37 AM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:
Wyman fit the Stones perfectly and they have never achievwed that sound since he left. Darly is technically better and very

___

JB is wise...
8th March 2006 02:59 AM
Jumacfly Oh no not this thread again!!
8th March 2006 04:26 AM
marko Bill wyman.
Darryls good,but no soul,and no style.I really miss the
swing and groove what Charlie&Bill had.
Thats why they have backing singers now,because theres no
Wyman,if you listen him carefully,he covered keiths&ronnies
fuck upps,he knew how to "pick em up".
While Darryl,just plays.
8th March 2006 08:10 AM
Nellcote If we all feel like this,
imagine the horror Wyman must
go thru every day about his decision?
You know, that feeling when you wake up
in bed, and the early thoughts come to your
mind before you get up?
8th March 2006 09:21 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
If we all feel like this,
imagine the horror Wyman must
go thru every day about his decision?
You know, that feeling when you wake up
in bed, and the early thoughts come to your
mind before you get up?

In those early morning thoughts, he probably still wishes he was there, but to do long tours and fly all over is just not where he's at right now in his life, so he probably don't regret it too much.
8th March 2006 09:35 AM
Nellcote I'm not quite certain BTS.
He can't stop commenting on his old mates.
I still contend he wishes he had the extra sheckles..
8th March 2006 09:42 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I'm not quite certain BTS.
He can't stop commenting on his old mates.
I still contend he wishes he had the extra sheckles..

I think some of those comments might just be him wanting some kind of attention from his former band rather than wanting to rejoin. He at least would probably like them to mention how they miss him, would like to play live again with him, or how important he was to the crative process. He deserves some attention, because in interviews with the band he's never talked about. So until they start to at least mention him, maybe compliment even, I have a feeling he will keep making such comments.
8th March 2006 10:21 AM
Maxlugar Bill Wyman is the missing ingredient.

We need him back, badly.

Listen to those '81 shows and you can hear the utter brilliance of this giant of a bass player. On many of the longer songs, it's Bill nailing down the rhythm of the song and Keith and Ronnie are free to solo away. The results were fantastic.

I was recently watching the '89 Atlantic City show and about three songs into it I realized there was a groove I was feeling that I hadn't felt in a long time. It was Bill's bass! I continued listening to his parts and came away missing this great man even more. '89 was not his finest tour either. But there he was, doing his thing and elevating the songs in his under-the-radar way...

Lawd I miss you Bill.
[Edited by Maxlugar]
8th March 2006 10:30 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Bill Wyman is the missing ingredient.

We need him back, badly.

Listen to those '81 shows and you can hear the utter brilliance of this giant of a bass player. On many of the longer songs, it's Bill nailing down the rhythm of the song and Keith and Ronnie are free to solo away. The results were fantastic.

I was recently watching the '89 Atlantic City show and about three songs into it I realized there was a groove I was feeling that I hadn't felt in a long time. It was Bill's bass! I continued listening to his parts and came away missing this great man even more. '89 was not his finest tour either. But there he was, doing his thing and elevating the songs in his under-the-radar way...

Lawd I miss you Bill.
[Edited by Maxlugar]

This thread is empty without youuuuuu...
8th March 2006 10:31 AM
blackandblue Ju I guess you are a better bass player than the two mentioned.
8th March 2006 10:33 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
Ju I guess you are a better bass player than the two mentioned.

that's nice from you dear Jero( you were missed a lot) but
I m just an average player, far far from those two...professionals and far far far from this....genious (guess who)
8th March 2006 10:48 AM
Joey [quote]Maxlugar wrote:
Bill Wyman is the missing ingredient.

We need him back, badly.

Listen to those '81 shows and you can hear the utter brilliance of this giant of a bass player. On many of the longer songs, it's Bill nailing down the rhythm of the song and Keith and Ronnie are free to solo away. The results were fantastic. "

Amen Maxy ..........................

I absolutely LOVE listening to boots from the '81 tour ........ Indeed , I get that " The Party Has Just Started Feeling " and I hear barkers and see colored balloons falling down all around me ......................

...... and you ?!?!

[ss]

H.R. Puffin Joe !

8th March 2006 10:55 AM
Jumacfly my dear Joey...
every time I hear a 81 boots (like right now!!) I think about this sentence, those balloons, this feeling...
Whoou this Neighbors version from Seattle seriously kicks ass with a Fantastic Perkie!!

8th March 2006 11:06 AM
Maxlugar [quote]Jumacfly wrote:
my dear Joey...
every time I hear a 81 boots (like right now!!) I think about this sentence, those balloons, this feeling...

Jumy,

This is just one of the many "Lugarisms" that hack has stolen from me throughout the years.

Feel free to use it though, without charge. Because it's true, the '81 tour was like a rolling carnival, and we were better off because if it.

8th March 2006 11:08 AM
Joey
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
my dear Joey...
Whoou this Neighbors version from Seattle seriously kicks ass with a Fantastic Perkie!!

Bless You Juma ..............................

What Can I say , this board ( like THE ROLLING STONES ) brings out " THE BEST " in me .

" We all have ' gifts ' Ronnie ! "

Joe Sea .... Scroll !
8th March 2006 11:09 AM
Joey " This is just one of the many "Lugarisms" that hack has stolen from me throughout the years."

*** ? ***

Feel free to use it though, without charge. Because it's true, the '81 tour was like a rolling carnival, and we were better off because if it."

8th March 2006 11:21 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
[quote]Jumacfly wrote:
my dear Joey...

Jumy,

This is just one of the many "Lugarisms" that hack has stolen from me throughout the years.

Feel free to use it though, without charge. Because it's true, the '81 tour was like a rolling carnival, and we were better off because if it.

Dear Macky

the 81 tour makes me feel like one of those balloons...
I m flying!!
May the good lawd of rock n roll shines a light on you, and bless you again for your great tribute to Bill on your (now famous) website!!
cheers my friend

Ju
8th March 2006 11:22 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Joey wrote:

What Can I say , this board ( like THE ROLLING STONES ) brings out " THE BEST " in me .

Joe Sea .... Scroll !

cheers Joey!!
is it you on the picture??
8th March 2006 11:23 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Joey wrote:

Joe Sea .... Scroll !

Its been far too long since you've talked of Paris Hilton's "gifts" and "talents" and gave us photographic evidence of them.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)