ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Butterfly On A Wheel Return to archive
03-08-04 05:05 PM
zebulon A Butterfly On A Wheel - The drugs bust of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in 1967 and the subsequent trial is to be turned into a TV drama.
See also teletext.co.uk

cheers!!
03-08-04 05:56 PM
stonedinaustralia speaking of "butterflies on wheels" - does anybody know the source of that expression - "who breaks a butterfly on a wheel?" - i'd read it was a quote from the poet Pope and i've spent years trying to track it down without any luck

anybody got any clues??

TIA

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
03-08-04 06:25 PM
Gazza never knew that myself but a quick search in Google shows that it was indeed a quote from Alexander Pope

The quote has been erroneously attributed to William Blake but its definitely by Pope.
03-08-04 06:31 PM
stonedinaustralia thanx gazza - at least i'm on the right track - i'd be intersted in reading the whole poem to get the full context of the line
03-08-04 06:34 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
speaking of "butterflies on wheels" - does anybody know the source of that expression - "who breaks a butterfly on a wheel?" - i'd read it was a quote from the poet Pope and i've spent years trying to track it down without any luck

anybody got any clues??

TIA

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

I think I've struck gold through Google search. "Who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?" is Line 307 from the Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot, Prologue to the Satires by the English poet Alexander Pope (1688–1744), in which he ironically refers to a character named Sporus, making him seem insensitive to the point of inhumanity, likely to break a delicate and beautiful thing like a butterfly on a device of torture (the wheel, supplice for convicted robbers and highwaymen).

http://www.bartleby.com/100/230.152.html
03-08-04 06:40 PM
stonedinaustralia bless you monkey woman

i'd always understood that "the wheel" was a torture device

but thanks for finding the title - now i just have to track down a copy of the poem

thanks again - a mystery of many years now resolved

BEST VIEWED HIGH