ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: sucks to be an Eagle fan (nsc) Return to archive
03-05-04 02:28 PM
mac_daddy too bad - TO would have been a sweet addition to the Philly offense...

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles thought they had Terrell Owens for themselves.

According to phillyBurbs.com, the Web site for a chain of three suburban Philadelphia newspapers, the Eagles agreed to a deal in principle to acquire the superstar receiver Thursday, only to have the 49ers turn the tables by sealing a deal with the Ravens instead.

Owens and agent David Joseph were furious, according to the Web site, which serves the Calkins Newspapers chain. Joseph told league officials Thursday night he plans to file a grievance against the 49ers, and union chief Gene Upshaw is reportedly already involved in the process.

Two league insiders familiar with the negotiations, and speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Philly reporters Thursday night that the Eagles actually finalized a trade with the 49ers and hammered out a long-term, multi-million dollar contract with Owens.

The deal would have sent Owens to Philadelphia for a fifth-round pick and a player, possibly receiver James Thrash, according to the report.

"Terrell was ecstatic," an NFL agent familiar with the details of the negotiations, told the Web site. "Philly is where he wanted to go all along. He was under the impression he was an Eagle. It was a done deal."

But before the paperwork was signed, according to the Web site, 49ers general manager Terry Donahue quietly accepted the Ravens' offer of a second-round pick in this year's draft and filed trade papers without informing Joseph or Eagles negotiator Joe Banner, or giving them a chance to match the offer.

The Eagles, according to the Web site, did not learn the 49ers had shipped Owens to the Ravens until a team employee saw an ESPN report on Thursday afternoon. And Joseph didn't know about the trade until he got a phone call from the Eagles moments later.

Owens does not have a contract negotiated with the Ravens, who are simply paying him according to the final three years of his original deal with the 49ers that Joseph was unable to void. Joseph missed the deadline that would have made Owens a free agent.

The current deal pays Owens $5.3 million in 2004, $5.9 million in 2005 and $6.5 million in 2006 with no signing bonus. Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said the team has been negotiating for an extension on the contract.

One of the sources told the Web site the Eagles' offer included a signing bonus over $10 million and an average salary of over $6 million per year.

All along, the 49ers believed Owens would end up in Baltimore. During the Ravens playoff drive, several 49ers front office people kept calling the Ravens, telling them that they thought Baltimore would be the logical choice. Ravens middle linebacker Ray Lewis also played a role in urging Owens to come to Baltimore, trying to recruit him at this year's Pro Bowl.

The newspapers contributing to phillyBurbs.com are the Bucks County Courier Times (Levittown) and The Intelligencer (Doylestown) in Pennsylvania and the Burlington County Times (Willingboro) in New Jersey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1751713
03-05-04 02:36 PM
Nellcote Tampering in the NFL is so rampant that the charges will amount to nothing. Besides, who'd want this guy? Isn't he the same guy who took out a Sharpie and signed a football after he scored a touchdown, yet forgot to file the correct paperwork for his contract?
03-05-04 02:40 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Tampering in the NFL is so rampant that the charges will amount to nothing. Besides, who'd want this guy? Isn't he the same guy who took out a Sharpie and signed a football after he scored a touchdown, yet forgot to file the correct paperwork for his contract?

that was his agent that shanked the free agency thing...

but you have to agree, the guy IS a playmaker, he still has a number of good years left (barring injury), and he is still one of the best (some would say THE best) wide receiver in the NFL...

not to mention that the one piece of the puzzle missing in PHI is a marquee receiver with skills.
03-05-04 02:59 PM
Nellcote Pats did not have a marquee receiver either of the last two times they won it all. Marquee players are a shank to a team. To win in the NFL today is to have a TEAM, the one player concept is over. Look @ Indy. They are paying 34mil to ONE player this year. If they do not win in the next two years, ol' Peyote will be walking away. Defense, defense, defense. That's what wins. Let the Ravens deal with this fruitcake and his trappings. I just hope Miami goes hard after Randy Moss, which will have two fruitcake running backs who can't score, right JB?
03-05-04 02:59 PM
Sir Stonesalot Speaking as an Eagles fan....I'm glad this deal fell through. The Eagles have had pretty good success with playing as a team. Owens is NOT a team player, and would have caused nothing but problems for the Birds. I'd much rather the Eagles move up in the draft and get Mike Williams from USC.

There was a lot of grumbling from fans about Owens coming to Philly. Trust me, there are not many broken hearts in Philly today.
03-05-04 04:54 PM
mac_daddy I agree with much of that, Nellcote and ss - but I still believe that he would have been a key addition...

I still would be pissed if I was an eagle's fan...

So the Ravens have some of the top position players in the league:
WR - TO
TE - Heap
RB- Jamal Lewis (if he is not in jail)
LB - Ray Lewis
CB - Chris McAllister

You could argue they have 5 of the best players at their position.

Meanwhile the Patriots are going to break up it seems. They lost Ted Washington to the Raiders and today Damien Woody signed with the Lions... oh well, let's hope the theory is true that Bellicheck can win with anyone.

howabout Randy Moss? he ain't a team player, either, and he very likely might end up in Miami. I, for one, think the Vikings would be insane to let him go, despite his down side (which, off the field, is considerable).
03-05-04 05:32 PM
Mr. D What has Jamal done that may place him in jail?

BTW, it does suck to be an Eagles fan...but hey, Jevon Kearse is a nice pickup. I swear though, seeing Thrash and Pinkston on the field next year may make me puke.
03-05-04 06:33 PM
UGot2Rollme Trust me everyone including sir snores alot, the Philadelphia Eagles will be a hell of alot better with Mr Terrel Owens as a Wide Receiver.

You claim to be an Eagles fan, SSA, but I think you are just a Redskins wannabee...
03-05-04 07:38 PM
beer it's probably for the best. i heard Terrel Owens always refused to sing "Hotel California" when they played live anyway.
03-05-04 09:01 PM
nankerphelge Jamal was peddlin' coke -- or so the story goes.

Owens is a great player but generates a hell of a lot of heat. Would they be better with him? Maybe. But Stoney is right -- if you can get a damn fine receiver without the bagage, let the Ravens have him, his Sharpie, and his attitude.
03-06-04 12:12 AM
Sir Stonesalot Ugot2rollme is a Sir Stonesalot wannabe.

03-06-04 06:06 AM
UGot2Rollme not quite, sir S , I'm very happy with who I am and agree with Andy Reid what's best for the Eagles. I think Terrel would have been a nice balance personality wise with Kearse now on D. It's a shame because Terrel really wanted to be a Bird.

apologies for the Skins comment, there's probably nothing worse to call a true Eagles fan.
03-06-04 07:46 AM
Some Guy Two words for next season: Atlanta Falcons.

BEST VIEWED HIGH