ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Buffalo Springfield's Mr. Soul bassline sounds exactly like Satisfaction Return to archive
03-04-04 07:32 PM
Mr. D I'm listening to Neil Young "Decade", and it includes this Buffalo Springfield song, "Mr. Soul". The bassline is obviously the bassist playing Satisfaction, it's unbelievable. It sounds exactly like it, can't believe i've never picked up on this before. Has anyone else heard this track?
03-04-04 07:41 PM
Lazy Bones Many times.
03-04-04 07:51 PM
Child of the Moon Of course, it's a classic. Neil has said this about the Stones riff:
"Never even entered my mind, really, that it was at all similar to Satisfaction - until it was pointed out to me and I went, 'Yeah, it's is, you're right.' But I wasn't gonna change it because of that. So then I guess I kind of exaggerated it. If it's there, you gotta go with it."
(from Jimmy McDonough's Shakey)

The original version of the song was in an acoustic format in double-drop-D tuning and sounded a lot more like its counterpart on the Unplugged album. Personally, I love this song a lot - definitely one of the darker songs Neil has written.
03-04-04 07:58 PM
Diddley Daddy It's the "Satisfaction" bass line alright. But how many realize that the "Satisfaction" guitar riff is taken from Martha & the Vandellas' "Nowhere to Run, Nowhere to Hide"? Like everything else, music "evolves".
03-04-04 08:04 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Mr. Soul was one of the first "imported" 45s I bought I still have it MINT! (many of my 45s are now impossible to play )
03-04-04 08:08 PM
Mr Jimmy As a Canadian, my radio airwaves were always full with tunes from fellow Canadian Neil Young, and you better believe that the very first time I heard Mr Soul the resemblance was more than uncanny. Everyone steals, ahem, borrows. What's that they say about 'flattery'...?
03-05-04 12:21 PM
T&A I'm reading Neil's bio - Shakey - right now. He has lots and lots to say about both the Stones and Dylan. Not a particularly well-written book (author is McDonough), but informative nonetheless.
03-06-04 01:15 AM
Egbert Not the only tune Neil borrowed from the Stones...
03-06-04 01:57 AM
JaggaRichards Not only Neil, but give a listen to Dire Straits 'Money For Nothing'
03-06-04 12:44 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
JaggaRichards wrote:
Not only Neil, but give a listen to Dire Straits 'Money For Nothing'

Ding Ding Ding... You are correct Sir!

Can't tell you how many times people laughed at me when I tried to point that one out.
03-06-04 12:46 PM
T&A i don't hear the Stones at all in Money for Nothing - i do hear Billy Gibbons/ZZ - which Knopfler ackowledged as his inspiration for that riff.

BEST VIEWED HIGH