ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bluesman A.C. Reed dies (SSC) Return to archive
03-04-04 04:43 PM
Night Clerk Blues saxophonist A.C. Reed dies at 77 

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Blues songwriter and saxophonist A.C. Reed, who shared the stage and recording studio with Buddy Guy and Stevie Ray Vaughan and led his own band, the Spark Plugs, died on Wednesday, his record label said. He was 77.

Reed, who was born Aaron Corthen in Wardell, Missouri, on May 9, 1926, died in Chicago of complications from cancer, Alligator Records said in a statement.
Raised in southern Illinois, Reed began playing tenor sax on hearing the band of trumpeter Erskine Hawkins, and later modeled his elegantly simple, honking style on jazzman Gene Ammons.

Reed played with an array of artists that included Albert Collins, Bonnie Raitt and Son Seals. He also recorded three solo albums and wrote humorous songs also recorded by Magic Slim and Charlie Musselwhite.

Down Beat magazine once called Reed "one of the blues' most incisive originals."
Reed moved to Chicago in 1942 and found work at a steel mill, using his first paycheck to buy a saxophone at a pawnshop.

Reed studied at the Chicago Conservatory of Music and was tutored by J.T. Brown, Elmore James' tenor sax player.

Reed joined Guy and Junior Wells' band in 1967, and opened for the Rolling Stones during a 1970 tour.

In recent years, Reed performed constantly at clubs and at blues festivals. He recorded the albums "Junk Food" in 1998 and "I Got Money" in 2002.
03-04-04 07:50 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Night Clerk wrote:
Blues saxophonist A.C. Reed dies at 77 

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Blues songwriter and saxophonist A.C. Reed, who shared the stage and recording studio with Buddy Guy and Stevie Ray Vaughan and led his own band, the Spark Plugs, died on Wednesday, his record label said. He was 77.

Reed, who was born Aaron Corthen in Wardell, Missouri, on May 9, 1926, died in Chicago of complications from cancer, Alligator Records said in a statement.
Raised in southern Illinois, Reed began playing tenor sax on hearing the band of trumpeter Erskine Hawkins, and later modeled his elegantly simple, honking style on jazzman Gene Ammons.

Reed played with an array of artists that included Albert Collins, Bonnie Raitt and Son Seals. He also recorded three solo albums and wrote humorous songs also recorded by Magic Slim and Charlie Musselwhite.

Down Beat magazine once called Reed "one of the blues' most incisive originals."
Reed moved to Chicago in 1942 and found work at a steel mill, using his first paycheck to buy a saxophone at a pawnshop.

Reed studied at the Chicago Conservatory of Music and was tutored by J.T. Brown, Elmore James' tenor sax player.

Reed joined Guy and Junior Wells' band in 1967, and opened for the Rolling Stones during a 1970 tour.

In recent years, Reed performed constantly at clubs and at blues festivals. He recorded the albums "Junk Food" in 1998 and "I Got Money" in 2002.

Awe shit, I've been behind on reading blues-l and was wondering not too long ago how old he was. Damn shame, AC was cool.
03-04-04 10:02 PM
jpenn11 A wonderful talent.

Didn't he write a song called something like "Fed Up With This Music"? It had a line something like: "Want a big hit record like the Rolling Stones".

03-04-04 10:59 PM
polksalad69
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
A wonderful talent.

Didn't he write a song called something like "Fed Up With This Music"? It had a line something like: "Want a big hit record like the Rolling Stones".

This was his most popular (if you can call it dat) one.

1. I'm in the Wrong Business - 4:28
2. I Can't Go on This Way - 4:00
3. Fast Food Annie - 4:29
4. This Little Voice - 4:16
5. My Buddy Buddy Friends - 3:12
6. She's Fine - 4:26
7. These Blues Is Killing Me (Reed) - 3:05
8. Miami Strut - 2:55
9. The Things I Want You to Do - 3:24
10. Don't Drive Drunk - 4:30
11. Hard Times - 3:16
12. Going to New York - 4:01
13. Moving Out of the Ghetto - 3:50
03-04-04 11:00 PM
polksalad69 ...but

Take These Blues and Shove 'em

1. Things That Get Me Off
2. I Stay Mad
3. I Got the Blues
4. I'm a Jealous Man
5. I'm Fed up With This Music
6. My Baby Is Fine
7. Howlin' for My Darlin' (Dixon/Howlin' Wolf)
8. Lotta Lovin'

[Edited by polksalad69]

BEST VIEWED HIGH