ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Main Offender Apreciaton Thread! Return to archive
03-03-04 06:08 PM
Saint Sway gave this CD a long overdue spin today

gotta say it flat out kicks ass!!! I fluckin love this record! Love the balance of rockers alongside the slow burn Keef tunes

KEEF RIFF HARD

blows away most Stones albums in my opinion. Runnin Too Deep and Will But You Wont would of made great Stones songs
03-03-04 06:15 PM
Mottrush
Great album but I like "Talk Is Cheap" better. Not sure how many Stones albums it blows away?? Maybe Dirty Work but not many others!!

Cheers,

Mottrush
03-03-04 06:19 PM
ResidentMule haven't heard this one in a while. i'll have to give this one a spin next time i get to go home from school

Wicked as it Seems is classic. best "Stones" song since Steel Wheels
03-03-04 06:26 PM
Gimme Shelter I thought the Expensive Winos were great!!!! I got to see them on the Main Offender tour back in '93 at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle and they rocked. Keith was totally into the show. Eileen is a classic!!
03-03-04 07:15 PM
Bloozehound I love MO cuz it rocks hard.
Reminds me of Keef and the boys just jammin' in the studio together.
Not to say it sounds half-assed or not fit for official release, just that it's something different from his previous solo outing.
Gotta love it!
That video for "Wicked As It Seems" is some wicked cool shit too!
03-03-04 07:16 PM
Jumacfly hate it when you leave deserves so many stars!!!
03-03-04 07:32 PM
MidnightRambler Hate It When You Leave is THE BEST!!
03-03-04 07:39 PM
Jumacfly
03-03-04 08:21 PM
Some Guy I gotta find that cassette. I knows its here somwhere. Now I want to hear it bad, I really was into that. Great record!
03-03-04 08:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels All great records. But sometimes we don't see opportunity when it knocks. If he had ditched Mick in 86 he'd have had it made....in a way. He had the potential to be THAT good. But he just didn't quite have the balls. Keith is Keith but he ain't no Dylan. But I don't blame him, better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
03-03-04 09:28 PM
stonedinaustralia yes i'm with Ju and midnightrambler - "Hate when You Leave" is a classic - to my ears a loving hoamge to the Four Tops

"Demon"is beautiful - "Words of Wonder" a wonderful groove

and all the rockers rock and roll like all good rockers should

03-03-04 10:33 PM
Mr Jimmy Timely topic. Just this past Saturday, I was re-reading an excerpt of an interview with Keith about his use of open tunings and the various guitar tracks on Eileen so I pulled out Main Offender and listened and re-listened. Man I love that album and I remembered playing it over and over again when it was released. Eileen, Wicked As It Seems, Words Of Wonder, Will But You Want, are all fantastic demonstrations of that magical Keith sound that he's been developing for decades... talk about a groove! And of course, Hate It When You Leave ...it sounds like it's coming straight from his heart and that man's heart is huge.
03-03-04 11:02 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
All great records. But sometimes we don't see opportunity when it knocks. If he had ditched Mick in 86 he'd have had it made....in a way. He had the potential to be THAT good. But he just didn't quite have the balls. Keith is Keith but he ain't no Dylan. But I don't blame him, better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

GET A LIFE
03-04-04 12:39 AM
Riff-Hard-Fan I've been watching Keef on the dvd Live At The Hollywood Palladium 1988 ! Keith really rocks the joint. Damn hes good ! Keef Riff Hardddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
03-04-04 12:46 AM
stonedinaustralia RHF - it's a pity tho that the dominant guitar in the mix is invariably waddy w.
03-04-04 12:54 AM
Riff-Hard-Fan O well SIA ...The Musics good and I was watching it to see Keith anyway hahhahah
03-04-04 12:58 AM
stonedinaustralia it's a wonderful version of TIOMS - sara dash is brilliant
03-04-04 03:06 AM
Zack I'm a Talk is Cheap man myself. I think it's much tighter. I tend to fall asleep somewhere between Yap Yap and Words of Wonder.

As for comparisons with Stones product, I'll stick my neck out and say Talk is better than Dirty Work, Undercover, and ER. Black and Blue maybe even.
03-04-04 07:06 AM
egon skip "words of wonder" and you got a perfect album.

i prefer it to "talk is cheap", although that one kicks ass as well.

i have the cd single of "eileen" with a live version of "wicked as it seems" & "gimme shelter" as well as "keys to the highway". nice!

03-04-04 08:09 AM
sirfito I agree: A great Album!!! Really Great!!!!
With a lot of classics, in my humble opinion.
And we saw Keith And The Winos here (Argentina,Velez Sarsfield Stadium) when they came to make that tour.
What a show, man!
Cheers,
Fito
03-04-04 08:22 AM
Jumacfly main offender+ wandering spirit = best 90 s Stones stuff...
03-04-04 03:26 PM
Child of the Moon Probably my favorite solo Stones album. All the tracks are damned good, but 999, Eileen, Hate It When You Leave, and (especially) Demon leave me absolutely speechless.
03-04-04 03:41 PM
Honky Tonk Man Main Offender was my soundtrack of my San Fran trip last year. I bought it in a pretty cool record store and i played pretty much non-stop.

Alex
03-04-04 06:10 PM
sammy davis jr. I never liked it at all..... the songwriting wasn't there IMO. Talk Is Cheap- I liked. Maybe I'll give it another spin.
03-06-04 01:05 AM
Egbert I agree with Zack (except for Black & Blue). TIC has better songs but MO better sound. I like 'em both.
03-06-04 08:21 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies Great thread. Main Offender finally getting some praise over the, in my opinion, vastly overrated Talk is Cheap. I remember blasting the CD in the car at full blast when it was first released, which is saying something considering the stereo equipment I had at that time. If only Running too Deep had been released on a Stones album, it surely would have become a Stone's classic. An open-G riff to stand along side Start Me Up or Brown Sugar, and great lyrics as well. At the time I wondered why he didn't release that track as the single. Perhaps he didn't because it sounded too much like a Stone's track or maybe because he felt that he had done enough of the 5 strings, 3 fingers, and 1 asshole bit. But the whole CD is SO much better than Talk is Cheap in my opinion. Talk is Cheap is sophisticated, but Main Offender just rocks, except for the afore mentioned somewhat lame tracks. I saw Keith at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta on the Talk is Cheap tour. He was still obviously new at being the front man but put on a great show. I can't say that, however, about the band. I never liked their sound, especially the drum sound. I forget the bloke's name, and am too lazy to look it up. Stanley Jordan? I swear he has the most distinctive drum sound of any drummer in rock n roll, and I don't mean that as a compliment. It all tends to sound the same, extremely over rot. As Mick Jagger said you can tell Talk is Cheap was produced cowritten whatever by a drummer. At anyrate, the band looked and acted stupid. And sounded like they were trying to do a jazz version of Rock n Roll with the bass player trying to do Jimi Hendrix imitations on the bass, while at the same time trying to look as cool as he felt a bass player for Keith Richards should look. And Waddy Wachtel? Jeeze! Someone needs to talk to the guy about his hair and the clothes he wears. There is no need to go out in public looking like that, even if you do play a mean quitar.

If Keith had dumped Mick Jagger in '86? And tried to make an all out attempt at being a solo artist? Surely you jest! We die hard fans might find hidden gems on his solo efforts. But let's face facts. Richards is never and could have never had a successful solo pop career. And it IS popular music he makes. And what is the point of making popular music that makes no attempt at being popular? After living off his name for the first couple of albums and tours he would be reduced to obscurity, recording on his own label at his own expense or worse yet recording for a vanity label. Sure he could buy a buss and tour hard rock clubs in the U.S., playing to a handfull of die hard fans, making a meager living. But I wouldn't think that would be very satisfying for a man who has routinely brought entire stadium crowds to their feet with the just the opening cords of the first song, getting paid millions of dollars to do it. But I am pontificateing again.
03-07-04 01:42 AM
Riff-Hard-Fan Isn't there a Bob Dylan Message board to "sing his praises" on? I'm sure there is .....This must be "down on Keith Day" as usual ! I'm getting used to it tho guys! Lol
03-07-04 02:12 AM
Soul Survivor Listen to that guitar tone on 999

BEST VIEWED HIGH