ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Aerosmith "blues" record March 30 (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
03-02-04 09:09 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Aerosmith Readies Honkin' New Blues Set

NEW YORK (Billboard) - The long expected blues album from veteran rock act Aerosmith will finally arrive later this month.

"Honkin' on Bobo," due March 30 via Columbia, finds the band paying homage to its influences as it covers a host of blues classics. The 12-track set also includes one new Aerosmith song, "The Grind."

"We're not making an album for blues purists, we're not making an album to educate people in the blues, we're not making an album to try and copy Muddy Waters," guitarist Joe Perry told Billboard.com last year. "What we're doing is taking songs that when we heard them made the hair on the back of our neck stand up and playing them the way we feel."

Much of the album was recorded in Perry's home basement studio. Additional tracking was done at singer Steven Tyler's studio, the Bryer Patch, with mixing undertaken at the new Aerosmith-owned Pandora's Box studio in the Boston area.

Among the classics the band takes on are Waters' "I'm Ready," Little Walter's "Temperature," Big Joe Williams (news)' "Baby Please Don't Go," Sonny Boy Williamson's "Eyesight to the Blind," Mississippi Fred McDowell's "You Got To Move" and Bo Diddley's "Road Runner."

Also covered is "Stop Messin' Around," an early Fleetwood Mac track. "We're having a good time doing it," Perry said of the song while the band was in the midst of recording. "And I'm not letting anything go out that doesn't get me off, like, through and through. And that's my own, selfish take on it. But, then, that's how I've been, that's how I was in 1975."

Tyler and Perry produced "Honkin' on Bobo" with Jack Douglas, who shepherded the Aerosmith classics "Toys in the Attic" (1975) and "Rocks" (1976). Marti Frederiksen, who produced the band's 2001 set "Just Push Play," and has worked with such diverse artists as Jonny Lang, Eminem and Pink, provided additional production.

"We didn't record a blues album, we recorded an Aerosmith album," Tyler said in a statement. "Everything Aerosmith has ever done has been influenced by the blues. This time around, we just brought the influence a little closer to the surface."

In advance of the new album, Aerosmith will hit the road next week on a 40-city tour with Cheap Trick. The trek kicks off March 11 in Lubbock, Texas and runs through late June.

Reuters/Billboard
03-02-04 09:12 PM
Poplar one of my favorite phrases in rock:

Aerosmith = the poor man's Rolling Stones

03-02-04 09:18 PM
Lazy Bones
03-02-04 09:24 PM
Poplar
that picture - ugh! - clearly a stones rip-off.
03-02-04 09:25 PM
Steel Wheels Something tells me the cover is better than the cover songs on it.

Mmmm....Aerosmith is taking a very different path than they have since 86.

Honkin' on Bobo is sure to be an album for only die hard fans, or fans of the blues. No radio friendly tunes or anticipated hits.

Good for them.
03-02-04 09:41 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:

Honkin' on Bobo is sure to be an album for only die hard fans, or fans of the blues. No radio friendly tunes or anticipated hits.

I see blues purists hating it while blooze fans will love it. I hope it makes someone or someone's estate rich.
03-02-04 10:31 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
Honkin' on Bobo is sure to be an album for only die hard fans, or fans of the blues.\

my prediction: anyone who likes this album for its 'blues' qualities obviously doesn't know much about blues
03-02-04 10:32 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
Something tells me the cover is better than the cover songs on it.

Mmmm....Aerosmith is taking a very different path than they have since 86.

Good for them.

No radio hits?

Today in Argentina I heard "Baby Please Don't Go" on 4 differents radio stations and was awesome for me.
I search on the AEROFORCE board and they are listening the track on the US radios right now.
I will buy it of course...
[Edited by Soldatti]
03-02-04 10:36 PM
jpenn11 Aerosmith touring with Cheap Trick? Which one is the opening act?
03-02-04 11:04 PM
Madafaka I have not heard anything new about Aerosmith and we live in the same country! I need to pay more attention
03-02-04 11:56 PM
Martha Oh yeah......I've got my tickets for this upcoming show. These boys rock hard in concert....and I grew up loving this band. Has anyone heard any cuts off the new album yet? I know it isn't to be released unti the 30th, but I figure somebody's already heard it.

I don't compare Aerosmith to the Stones by the way, because as we all know (and Aerosmith knows this too)....Stones IS Stones.

Now, let's ROCK!
03-02-04 11:59 PM
polksalad69
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:

my prediction: anyone who likes this album for its 'blues' qualities obviously doesn't know much about blues

hahah aint dat da truth

03-03-04 10:50 AM
SoulSurvivr
quote:
Poplar wrote:
one of my favorite phrases in rock:
Aerosmith = the poor man's Rolling Stones

Maybe on the surface. Aerosmith in their prime were much harder than the Stones.
03-03-04 10:52 AM
Joey " Maybe on the surface. Aerosmith in their prime were much harder than the Stones. "

WTF ?!?!?!

03-03-04 11:30 AM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
SoulSurvivr wrote:

Maybe on the surface. Aerosmith in their prime were much harder than the Stones.

Joe Perry uses steroids
03-03-04 11:42 AM
mickmask Tsk, tsk......so much sage advice from the experts...(who by the way, havn't heard it yet!!!!????) C'mon people, give them a break, (and please don't compare!). Personally I LOVE the stones, but admit to having an affair with Aerosmith for some time. ...I know, for shame. As I've said before, I'd love to get Tyler and Jagger together for 5 minutes!... now I didn't say where, did I ?? lol
03-03-04 12:05 PM
Joey " but admit to having an affair with Aerosmith for some time. ...I know, for shame. As I've said before, I'd love to get Tyler and Jagger together for 5 minutes!... now I didn't say where, did I ?? lol "

You make Joey sad.
03-03-04 12:25 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Maybe on the surface. Aerosmith in their prime were much harder than the Stones. "

WTF ?!?!?!

don't see how you could argue the "hardness". that was aerosmith's dominant quality. of course the Stones have just about everything better, but Aerosmith was always the harder band
03-03-04 12:32 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:

don't see how you could argue the "hardness". that was aerosmith's dominant quality. of course the Stones have just about everything better, but Aerosmith was always the harder band

anyone can crank out power chords and call themselves hard. Respectable is hard. Rip This Joint is hard. Hang Fire is hard.
03-03-04 01:01 PM
Martha Joey, I am much older and wiser than you (sorry can't help it comes with the rock and roll territory) and I beg you to reconsider your position and GO see Aerosmith at least once in your life LIFE!

You WILL thank me later.

Honk on that! my Steely Dan worshipping friend!

Martha loves ya'!

Now........let's ROCK!

"Toys, toys, toys...in the attic..."
03-03-04 01:10 PM
Nellie Fox
quote:
Martha wrote:
GO see Aerosmith at least once in your life LIFE!

Maybe with Cheap Trick but not with Kiss.
03-03-04 01:43 PM
Gibbons Wonder how subtle they'll be? Their drummer any good?
03-03-04 03:42 PM
Joey " Joey, I am much older and wiser than you (sorry can't help it comes with the rock and roll territory) and I beg you to reconsider your position and GO see Aerosmith at least once in your life LIFE!

You WILL thank me later.

Honk on that! my Steely Dan worshipping friend! "

You make Joey say , Huh ?!?!?!

03-03-04 04:59 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:

anyone can crank out power chords and call themselves hard.

that's pretty much the standard definition of hard. Respectable, Hang Fire & Rip This Joint aren't exactly complex songs either
03-03-04 05:22 PM
Joey " that's pretty much the standard definition of hard. Respectable, Hang Fire & Rip This Joint aren't exactly complex songs either .... "

No , but they ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Stones Rule You Bastards !!!! "

Jazzy Joe !

03-03-04 05:27 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
that's pretty much the standard definition of hard. Respectable, Hang Fire & Rip This Joint aren't exactly complex songs either

Oh well. IORR! It's all so simple really.

03-04-04 04:37 PM
SoulSurvivr I a huge fan of both bands....

But take the album "Rocks" or "Toys" - but Rocks especially - stones could never dream of playing that stuff.
03-04-04 04:43 PM
Joey

" Aerosmith " is a poor man's Rolling Stones !!!!!!

03-04-04 06:35 PM
gotdablouse Gotta give these guys credit for at least trying to keep their true fans entertained, unlike the Stones :-(
03-04-04 07:14 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Gotta give these guys credit for at least trying to keep their true fans entertained, unlike the Stones :-(

have no idea what your talking about there. aerosmith must have one of the most divided fanbases of any band
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH