ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Michael Cohl Comment Return to archive Page: 1 2
03-08-04 03:40 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:
" They did tour England in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I remember Howard Cosell from London one year. "

03-08-04 03:41 PM
Joey
03-08-04 04:53 PM
Gazza >They did tour England in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I remember Howard Cosell from London one year.

theyve always toured Europe. They still do. It was a regular bank holiday event to see a Globetrotters game from Wembley Arena or some such place on TV. Shit, there was even a Globetrotters cartoon show on TV!

To the best of my knowledge they 'performed' in the UK in 2003.

I guess the fact it was only 3/4 full in Miami shows that even in their home country, 99% of Americans despise the Harlem Globetrotters and resent their success and are instead obsessed with the likes of the technically inferior Boston Celtics and LA Kings.

This is unlike their adoptive home of the UK where they are welcomed, without any undercurrent of prejudice or jealousy into our hearts and treated as our own.

Its a shocking indictment of the US that even years after their departure from the game, Americans are still obsessed with the so-called "Fab Four" of Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and Kevin McHale.

This just endorses what I've always maintained, that in future the Harlem Globetrotters should never play in the US again and should only play in the UK where we all love them.
03-08-04 05:07 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>They did tour England in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I remember Howard Cosell from London one year.

theyve always toured Europe. They still do. It was a regular bank holiday event to see a Globetrotters game from Wembley Arena or some such place on TV. Shit, there was even a Globetrotters cartoon show on TV!

To the best of my knowledge they 'performed' in the UK in 2003.

I guess the fact it was only 3/4 full in Miami shows that even in their home country, 99% of Americans despise the Harlem Globetrotters and resent their success and are instead obsessed with the likes of the technically inferior Boston Celtics and LA Kings.

This is unlike their adoptive home of the UK where they are welcomed, without any undercurrent of prejudice or jealousy into our hearts and treated as our own.

Its a shocking indictment of the US that even years after their departure from the game, Americans are still obsessed with the so-called "Fab Four" of Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and Kevin McHale.

This just endorses what I've always maintained, that in future the Harlem Globetrotters should never play in the US again and should only play in the UK where we all love them.

It's like the Stones in reverse!
03-08-04 05:11 PM
Gazza and they say Americans dont understand irony!
03-08-04 05:14 PM
Joey " and they say Americans dont understand irony! "

{{{ ? }}}}

Huh ?!?!

********** Blank Stare ****************

J- Ja- Jac- Jack- J- Ja- Jac- Jack-J- Ja- Jac- Jack-J- Ja- Jac- Jack-J- Ja- Jac- Jack-J- Ja- Jac- Jack- Jacko !

J. Jackofly !

Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH