ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tokyo Dome - March 15, 2003 by Koji Sasahara/AP Photo
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Through the Lonely Nights Return to archive
03-07-03 08:34 PM
Nasty Habits I LOVE "Through the Lonely Nights"! Wasted psychedelic country circa the Goats Head period and yet another reason to wonder why Can You Hear the Music was ever allowed on an album. As the flip to IORR it seems an eerie coda to the "Jimmy Miller" era with hypnotic Mick/Keith harmonies and that messed up Goat's Head wah. I esp. love the end when Mick comes back, and the "Maybe I mistreat ya" change. Searched for this song for YEARS before finally finding a copy of the It's Only Rock and Roll 45 in a thrift store. Under bootlegged, under discussed, and under appreciated, this is one of the great lost Stones songs.

In fact, that whole fucking 45 is a thing of beauty and wonder - the coda of It's Only Rock and Roll gains a whole new glory on 45 RPM - those toms explode.

"Stick a jukebox filled with 50 copies of It's Only Rock and Roll b/w Through the Lonely Nights up my ass and then put in a roll of quarters, Ronnie!"

03-07-03 10:18 PM
woodywoodpecker nasty , I agree its a great little number!

You sure its circa 73? I 'am sure its a woody guitar solo in that song. Sounds more like circa 78 to me.

The version on the boot "Get the fuck outta here" anyway\

03-07-03 10:18 PM
stonedinaustralia i'm right with you there nasty - the harmonies/the wah wah/charlies sweetly simple fills - it's all wonderful

i've always been given to believe that the guitar solo is jimmy page (can't recall where i heard that but somethings just stick in your mind)- can anyone confrim or otherwise??
03-07-03 11:01 PM
tumblingdice One of my favorites as well. Took me awhile to get this one too, but once I did, I about wore it out!! Also love Think I'm Going Mad from the 80's also. Burned them both onto a cd I put together of Stones songs for the car and would play these back to back.
03-08-03 08:33 AM
Nasty Habits Sounds like Taylor's guitar tone and run patterns to me, and the single says "produced by Jimmy Miller" right there on it, which leads me to think it's one last shot from Jamaica. I would also venture to guess that there is a third vocalist on that track, which makes for the unusualness of the harmony, and I think it sounds like Taylor.

03-08-03 03:37 PM
woodywoodpecker Nasty, you are more than likley right! The more I listen it probably is Taylor!And Keiths wah wah sounds like 73ish
so yeah.

Nice song all the same""
03-08-03 04:28 PM
stonedinaustralia ok nasty

i found the source of my (mis)understanding - it's "the rolling stones A-Z" by weiner & howard which states "rumour has it Jimmy Page plays on this song"
03-08-03 05:16 PM
stonedinaustralia nasty, well done in spotting mick t as the third backing vox - i found this quote from mick taylor from the "time is on our side" web-site

"I actually played guitar on that song. That's actually not a very well known song... it was the B-side of a single. I played the lead guitar on that... and also sang backup vocals."

guess that scotches that page rumour
03-08-03 06:32 PM
Daethgod hey tumblingdice :

I had a copy of ' Think Im Going mad', ive been looking for it for ages..

what Cd was it on again ?

tx man
03-09-03 02:03 AM
tumblingdice It was a b side I believe and I picked it up from a guy who had a collection of b sides from the 60's through the 90's I think it was called Killer b's.
03-09-03 12:37 PM
KeepRigid This is one of my favorite b-sides. Pretty cool that they've at least rehearsed it for recent tours.
03-09-03 05:04 PM
gotdablouse Great minds think alike!
TTLN is clearly one of the best b-sides, not the Stones have been very generous with these over the years...It indeed was recorded in Kingston in December of 1972.

If I remember well they rehearsed it either in 1997 or in 2002. Some guy in Toronto said Keith had sent someone to hunt for the song in a store...other than the IORR b-side (I found it in a thrift store 15 years ago) and a Japanese boot, I've never seen it anywhere though.

"I Think I'm Going Mad" was pretty good too and I love that picture/shape in the shape of a candle hugging chick (really) where it's on. It's in mint condition too ;-)
03-10-03 09:37 AM
Child of the Moon Through the Lonely Nights... that's one I really need to hear. I keep hearing great things, y'know, but I can never locate it. I suppose I'll keep looking.

On the subject of Think I'm Going Mad, though... I LOVE that song. I usually include it on most compilations that I put together. I've got an extended version on the Static in the Attic boot, and it's even better than the released one, IMO. I've also got the 45, but like I said, why listen to that when I have the SITA version? :-)

Sometime I feel so young
Sometime I feel so old...
03-10-03 09:42 AM
marko If you can�t get single of lonely nights,the song is on the
complete woodstock tapes boot.Which is 78 tour rehearsals.
03-10-03 09:50 AM
telecaster Sometimes you can find it on Kazaa
03-10-03 10:55 AM
Lazy Bones

Mixed Pickles (above) has an outtake of TIGM, plus the original b-side. It's a nice boot.
TTLN, is also on Mickboy's Short & Curlies (IORR remastered).
03-10-03 11:03 AM
T&A Love TTLN's...always been a fave of mine.

Regarding Goin' Mad - there's a new version on Barry Goldberg's all-Stones covers new album. It features two songs with Mick Taylor on lead - Ventilator Blues and Going Mad. All instrumentals, well worth checking out. The album is called Stoned Again.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST