ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tokyo Dome - March 15, 2003 by Koji Sasahara/AP Photo
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Strokes & the White Stripes Return to archive
03-07-03 03:51 PM
Factory Girl Who likes the Strokes here? I think their music is pretty good. Just bought their dvd.

What about the White Stripes?
03-07-03 04:24 PM
Saint Sway I dig em. Better than the majority of shit out there being pushed on us trying to pass as rock

but if your into either band than do yourself a flavor and check out THE IZZY'S

Izzy's are rockin band from NYC - very much in the same vein as the current garage bands but with a more STONESISH-tinge

www.theizzys.com

Stripes do an evil cover of "Stop Breaking Down" that I love.

and Strokes do a cool take of "Take It Or Leave It"

that reminds me... theirs a bar a few blocks from my office with that tune on the box. I'll be back after a few!!
03-07-03 04:35 PM
Phog I really like them both.
03-07-03 05:27 PM
Saint Sway heres a great review of THE IZZYS - w/a Stones comparison

"As the Strokes are to the Velvet Underground and the Mooney Suzuki are to the Who, the Izzy's MIGHT AS WELL ONE DAY BE THE STONES."
� The Village Voice

go to their sight.. check out the tunes "Place In The Sun"!!! and "Change Your Mind", "Velocity", "Little Sally Water"
03-07-03 05:30 PM
Fiji Joe White Stripes...I liked them better when they were Krokus...circa 1983

Tonight, longstick goes boom!

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
03-07-03 05:36 PM
100 Years Ago I have White Stripes first CD, great garage-punk intensity, really like it,strong originals cool covers like St. James Infirmary. Love their version of Stop Breakin' Down, the original The Big Three Killed My Baby

The Strokes debut is very impressive, a bit overhyped but solid
03-07-03 05:39 PM
Factory Girl I saw the Strokes open for the Stones in 2002, and liked their sound.

I just picked up the Strokes Videos dvd-I'd recommend it.
03-07-03 05:43 PM
Saint Sway I posted this in another thread already but... if your lookin for good solid rock then check out Black Crowes guitarist Rich Robinson's new band "Hookah Brown"

more vintage 70s rock than the garage/punk rock of the Strokes and co

www.hookahbrown.com
03-07-03 06:07 PM
Nasty Habits The first time I heard either band I busted out laughing at the ridiculousness of it all, which is a good thing - If I am not laughing in delight at some point when I hear a record then I will probably never love it. Stripes opening for Stones was one of the craziest things I ever saw, esp. since I had booked them at a local club almost a year to the day before that Columbus show. The White Sripes are definitely my favorite band from the past five years and have been since I heard them four years ago. Strokes are pretty good although I have issues with the production on Is This It? and vastly prefer the three song demo (The Modern Age) Beggar's Banquet released. (White Stripes first major releases on Sympathy for the Record Industry, Strokes first EP on Beggar's Banquet - now what can that mean?) Smokin' versions of Last Night, The Modern Age and esp. Barely Legal leave Is This It in the dust. Take It Or Leave It is not the Stones tune.

So you got your goods! Any good?

03-07-03 06:12 PM
Factory Girl Nasty!

Plese check PM!
03-07-03 06:45 PM
Cardinal Fang Factory Girl !

Since you asked,

I like the White Stripes. The Strokes I have a hard time listening to. Don't get me wrong, the album is OK but the problem I have with it is that listening to each song is like playing a game of "spot which song they ripped off". I guess they would seem GREAT to someone NOT FAMILIAR with the songs they have ripped off (and they HAVE ripped off quite a few).

I will just throw out a few of their songs as examples. Then I gotta bail.

"Is This It", you ever hear any of Television's "Marquee Moon"?

"The Modern Age", I think Lou Reed and V.U. should be getting royalty payments for that one. In fact the first time I heard it, I SWEAR, I thought it was a Lou Reed outtake. So much so that I think it's shameful. "Take It Or Leave It" is another ripoff of the Velvet's song "Rock & Roll".

"Someday", again this is just fucking SHAMELESS ripoff of the Buzzcock's "Everybody's Happy Nowadays". Even the drum intro is EXACTLY THE SAME. Same Beat, Same guitar, Same lead, Same rhythm, song is in the same Key, Same...............

On the UK version of the first album there is a song called "New York City Cops" that again is a BLATANT ripoff of Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life" not just musically but also right down to the vocals too.It even has THE SAME breakdown in the middle. This should either make you (K.U.) either wet yourself from laughing your ass off, piss you off, or both. It really is that OBVIOUS of a rip off.

You know, if this only happened on ONE SONG , I could chalk it up as a coincidence but it happens like on ALMOST EVERY fucking song. I mean I would love to see someone go out and listen to all of the original songs I was mentioning and then look me in the eye with a straight face and say "No they DIDN'T rip this stuff off". I mean at least when the Stones have ripped something off, they at least change SOMETHING about it so that it's a little bit different and not so obvious. Not so in The Strokes case. The only thing that is different is the title of the song and some of the lyrics. If some of you reading this think I don't know anything about music, Factory Girl or several others that I know here will vouch for my credentials. I'm not saying for you not to like them. (how could I ?) I'm just telling you why this musician doesn't get into them.

Like I said, it's probably really great if you have never heard the songs that The Strokes ripped off but if you ARE familiar with them then it just becomes a big joke.

Sorry if this bothers you but you did bring it up ! :-) xoxox

Hey !! I was playing poker last weekend with a cute girl named "K" that had short dark hair and was from back east and she KICKED MY ASS. I had a full house, she had four of a kind. Where were you last weekend, hmmmm.........??

Now I Gotta Jet.

Later, J.W. :-)

P.S. I had to edit because I forgot a few things. I too like the Mooney Suzuki and there's another mid-90's NYC band that I'm into called Stiffs,Inc. They put out an album called "Nix,Naught,Nothing" in 1995 that predates all of this "retro-ripoff" (my term that I'm patenting !) stuff by about 5 years. It's out of print (I think) but if you can find it, it rocks. Another band that I'm into is The Flaming Sideburns. I turned 2000 Man on to them about 6 months ago. I also told YOU about them. They are a total Stones meet Stooges band. Toyota has been using one of there songs in a car commercial now for about 2 months. It's the one where the guy is spinning out on the totally empty freeway. The Flaming Sideburns rock. I also wanted to tell Fiji Joe that his "Krokus" joke had me rolling !!

L8r.

[Edited by Cardinal Fang]
03-07-03 07:28 PM
Nasty Habits You can also hear echoes of strange things like Tom Petty's "American Girls" and direct hooks off the first Pretenders album in the Strokes' music. They are a blatantly unoriginal band and I really love the fact that for the bulk of their first big tour they could only play the songs off their record and nothing else. This is FUNNY! It was the abject Velvet Undergroundese of "Last Night" that had me rolling when I first heard them, but I decided I liked it because it was at least rock and roll. And catchy as hell, too.

I like the Flaming Sideburns, but I think that they're no Turbonegro. The band that really tears me up on the international scene right now is Thee Michelle Gun Elephant from Japan. Those guys burn. I liked Stiffs, Inc., but for retro ripoff bands from the mid 90s the ones to beat were the Subsonics, the Oblivians, the New Bomb Turks, the Makers, Blacktop, '68 Comeback, the Revelators, the wholly amazing Jack O'Fire and of course thee one and only Headcoats, fronted by Mr. Billy Childish. All of these bands were too punk to ever make it big, which is why it took young'n'cutes like the White Stripes and the Strokes to get anyone to even consider trying to market them.

The White Stripes' first album is actually a pretty radical and unique rock 'n' roll record and is still their best.

03-07-03 09:06 PM
steel driving hammer Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet,

Until the Strokes or Stripes can make an album like Shake Your Money Maker, get back to me...

They both suck and they both will fade away...

Mark my words, and Cheers!

PS.
If they even come close to making an album like
Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, I'll give you my first born.
03-07-03 09:29 PM
Fiji Joe I hear SDH..it's the whole Matthew Sweet thing all over again
03-07-03 09:41 PM
steel driving hammer Hey you really from the Fiji Islands?

How's the job market out there?

Is it true about the transcesent alge?

Must be Heaven...

Cheers you bastard!

03-08-03 12:22 AM
Fiji Joe The job-market in Fiji...well...you have 2 choices basically...coconut collector...or the person who follows the coconut collector in anticipation of the inevitable moment when the coconut collector gets hit in the head and dies..at which time the coconut collector follower then carts the coconut collector's body away in a wagon (which, ironically, is made primarily of coconut) to a shallow grave where the coconut collector is then buried in a coconut casket, where, upon the decomposition of his body, his soul goes to coconut heaven...which, by the way, is nothing like margaritaville

This is a bizarre fact...more people die each year from getting hit in the cranium by a coconut then are killed by a shark attack

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
03-08-03 01:35 AM
Vinyl kills New TURBONEGRO LP coming out real soon! Anybody hear of the band VUE??? I hear they got alot "STONES" going on in their shit.
03-08-03 04:13 AM
beer They're both fuckin great! The New White Stripes album should be out quite soon. The White Stripes are true rock-n-roll champions...Why? because, they rock twice as hard as most of the schlock out there now. Hell, even Keith dug the White Stripes and that's pretty rare.
I saw 'em awhile back and they play their hearts out.
I couldn't recommend any band more than them.
03-08-03 07:16 AM
Zeeta Both not bad, I get the feeling with The Strokes it's all about the look, style and fashion rather than the music. Although some of their songs are good. The White Stripes are OK but I don't really GET what they are about?
You want a good new band check out The Datsuns from New Zealand!
03-08-03 09:00 AM
Boomhauer These bands are ok.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST