ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tokyo Dome - March 15, 2003 by Koji Sasahara/AP Photo
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: the stones are in japan, pix inside Return to archive
03-07-03 12:34 PM
moy

Mick Jagger points at photographers during the Rolling Stones news conference in Tokyo Friday, March 7, 2003. The Stones arrived in Tokyo to kick off a tour of Asia, including their first visit ever to China, on their '40 Licks' world tour, marking their 40th annivesary. They perform in Tokyo on March 15 and 16 and in Osaka, western Japan, on March 20 and 21. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

the Rolling Stones members line up for photographers prior to their news conference in Tokyo Friday, March 7, 2003. The Stones arrived in Tokyo to kick off a tour of Asia, including their first visit ever to China, on their '40 Licks' world tour, marking their 40th annivesary. They perform in Tokyo on March 15 and 16 and in Osaka, western Japan, on March 20 and 21. Two other members are: Charlie Watts (news), second from right, and Ron Wood, right. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)
[Edited by moy]
03-07-03 12:36 PM
moy
03-07-03 12:38 PM
moy

03-07-03 12:39 PM
moy
03-07-03 12:55 PM
nankerphelge Nice pix -- thanks moy -- don't look jb -- you can see the thin spot on Keith's head!!!
03-07-03 12:57 PM
luxury1 Ya know, looking at all these press conference photos from around the world I am struck by just how hard The Rolling Stones work and try to give 100%. It must be such a pain in the ass to attend these things, but there they all are smiling (well, sometimes Charlie is smiling), with or without ailments, --no complaints. How many other bands do this with such consistency and grace (and humor)?? I don't think Bruce and his bandmates line up to face the media in each country when they do go world-wide--and how back Macca??
Moy--thanks for posting these photos. I love to see them. It makes me feel connected to the tour. And I always look to see just how far apart Mick and Keith are standing from each other. In Japan--arms around each other--that's always a good thing.
03-07-03 01:01 PM
jb Luxury1=Nerd.
03-07-03 01:02 PM
nankerphelge What did I tell you about that?
03-07-03 01:09 PM
jb Sorry Boss...but I am still enraged over that episode in the chat room....it shall never be forgotten.
03-07-03 01:11 PM
LadyJane Amen Lux on all points!

I must say the "boys" look quite spiffy in their suit jackets!

I want to go to Japan, dammit!!!

LadyJ.

PS Thanks Moy!!
03-07-03 01:43 PM
telecaster Good point Luxury. Then you have some ass in the press
asking a question about the age issue everywhere you go.

JB what happened in the chat room. As Bush said last night "lets put our cards on the table"

03-07-03 03:36 PM
CS Friday March 7, 5:30 PM
Rolling Stones set to "Lick" Tokyo's Budokan
By Chikafumi Hodo

TOKYO (Reuters) - Thirty years after their first attempt to perform in Japan was scuttled by Japanese immigration officials, the Rolling Stones are set to "lick" Tokyo's Budokan, which was to be the venue for that ill-fated appearance.

At a Tokyo news conference on Friday, the ageing rockers said they were looking forward to finally getting some satisfaction by playing at what is traditionally a martial arts hall.

"This time we'll play at the Budokan, which is smaller and a favourite venue for people," flamboyant lead singer Jagger said.

"We never played there before so we are looking forward to (it)," Jagger added.

In 1973, the Rolling Stones were scheduled to play five shows at the Budokan, but the band had to cancel after Jagger was forbidden entry to the country because of a previous drug possession charge outside Japan.

Japanese authorities allowed Jagger to enter the country for a solo concert in 1988, paving the way for the band's first Japan appearance in 1990 when the British rock band sold out 10 shows and drew more than 400,000 fans.

The Budokan concert on Monday will kick off the Asian leg of the band's "Licks" world tour that will also take the group to China and India for the first time.

The Stones, known for their chart-topping hits such as "Satisfaction" and "Jumping Jack Flash" over a four-decade career, are back in Japan for the first time since 1998 with six shows scheduled.

The Budokan, with a crowd capacity of 10,000, was originally a venue for traditional Japanese martial arts, such as Judo.

The Beatles were the fist rock band to perform there and their appearance in 1966 drew huge protests from Japanese nationalists.

In their past tours in 1995 and 1998, the Stones had some trouble filling stadiums, but they are having fewer such problems this time around, selling out four of the upcoming six shows.

Tickets for the Budokan performance range from 14,000 yen to 22,000 yen ($119.3-$187.5), while stadium shows are ranged between 11,200 to 13,200.

At those prices the concerts will be the most expensive ever for concert goers, topping ticket prices for Paul McCartney's appearances last year.

Guitarist Keith Richards said he also was looking forward to playing the band's next stops in Asia -- China and India.

"It's always nice to go somewhere new. China...is very old," said Richards.

"At the same time it will be our first time there. And also to India -- it's always exciting to play at places you haven't been and it's about time they let us in anyway," Richards said.

The iconic British group, including guitarist Ronnie Wood and drummer Charlie Watts, will hold two concerts in India in April and will perform in Beijing on April 4
03-07-03 04:12 PM
parmeda Thanks Moy!

Lux, these are some great shots for sure!

Shall we pack our Kimonos? HA!

[Edited by parmeda]
03-07-03 04:36 PM
Riffhard Yeah thanks moy for the pictures. I too agree that it's nice to keep up and be a part of the tour as the boys circle the globe. Great point luxxy!

Now about this chat session...do tell! What happened between Josh and you Luxx? For that matter how do I get in on these chat sessions?

Riffhard
03-07-03 04:42 PM
Moonisup chatroom/ aka the funhouse

under the header and the links
03-07-03 05:02 PM
rogerriffin thanks for the pix moy, and hope voodoo chile remember that he have a header surprise to the asian shows.
03-07-03 05:03 PM
littleredrooster SPIFFY?????
MATCHING JACKETS???????

What are they trying to do ???

LOOK LIKE THE BEATLES!!!!!!!!!!
03-07-03 05:12 PM
Monkey Woman Good point, Rooster! Though the jackets are the same color but not the same cut.
Now I'd like to see Mick in kimono...
03-07-03 05:46 PM
vampire Love those pix, gave me a cold in my stomach, but you�ll have to admit: the third picture keith looks like exactly Butt-Head. And, if you push a little bit, you can see Beavis on Mick Jagger.
03-07-03 06:02 PM
Martha I love being able to keep in touch with the tour! I thank you for posting the photos moy and you, CS, for the article. Great stuff!

And.... what was that incident in the chatroom about?

Spill the beans with us til dawn....... someone!?!
03-07-03 08:57 PM
Madafaka Thank you very much guys! I apreciate your info.
03-08-03 01:47 AM
Bluzian Thank you so much for posting those pics!! Fabulous!!
They look so real and candid, as opposed alot of the
fabricated shots we're accustomed to.

to the online Japanese fans: ENJOY THE SHOWS!!!!!!
03-08-03 06:56 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Article in Japanese translated via Altavista Translations

After ストーンズ 5 year visiting Japan " hot show the ぜ which is shown! " The rolling * ストーンズ which makes the Japanese performance start from Tokyo of ミック * jaguar 10 day of rolling * ストーンズ & Japanese martial arts mansion on the 6th, visited Japan with the charter plane of the Australian Bliss vane departure. March of 1998 ever since, approximately 5 after years 4th visiting Japan. The ミック * jaguar which arrives at the Narita airport (59) in the press corps who are welcomed " after a long time Japan? Very nice! Very hot we show show ", you promise live it is hot without showing the fatigue. ロン * wood (55) in after a long time Japan " Gray To! " With they were circumstances of mood. In the afternoon past o'clock of 10 was the ardent fan approximately 200 collects the fact that the form was shown to the arrival lobby in spite. With the wave of the fan which surges, there was also a happening where the rope in order to guarantee the passage of the member comes off, but there was no big confusion. The schedule which as for the ストーンズ interviews on the 7th inside capital, keeps doing the rehearsal destined for performance first day. (Photograph: While you being protected in the robust staff, holding the bouquet, the ミック * jaguar of the rolling * ストーンズ which scatters the smiling face in the fan)

03-08-03 09:11 PM
LadyJane Looks like the Japanese are very happy to see Mick!!
I don't recall seeing showers of flowers before. Harkens back to the days of thousands of screaming girls!

Is that Luxury's hat on Mick's head? I'll be damned; I bet it is!! She's gonna love this!! A Rocks Off connection !! I LOVE IT!!

LadyJ.
03-09-03 06:34 AM
luxury1 Ha--see, I had to remind him of just how good he looks in a black fedora--even if it's not my hat (I dont think it is--but I am still pretending it could be), I am enjoying "the connection."
Isn't this so cool to see these most current photos and reviews from around the world, and not have to wait for the publication date of Rolling Stone Magazine a month later, keeping one's fingers crossed that there might be some photos and reports??
03-09-03 08:20 PM
gypsy I JUST saw a little deal on CNN, showing the guys arriving in Japan...and could've sworn Mick was wearing Lux's fedora.
03-10-03 05:25 AM
luxury1 Damn. Like I said before, I miss everything. THanks for posting it tho, gypsy.
03-11-03 12:01 PM
Highwire Rob For those who may not have received today's RS.com email, here are the Japan event T-shirts. Check out the killer litho print, Ronnie!

We are also happy to announce that, for the first time, Ronnie Wood's distinctive artwork has been reproduced on to T-shirts. Debuting in Japan, each of these four white 100% cotton tees features a portrait of a separate Rolling Stone. First produced in 1996 as lithographs, the images hail from the Voodoo Lounge world tour gigs and rehearsals. The shirts are now exclusively available at RollingStones.com. You can buy each separate or get all four at once for a lower price.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST