ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R&R Hall of Fame 2007
© Dimitrios Kambouris with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hendrix "wildest guitarist of all time." Return to archive
8th March 2007 09:50 AM
Ten Thousand Motels HENDRIX 'WILDEST GUITARIST OF ALL TIME'

Rock legend JIMI HENDRIX has been named the wildest guitar hero of all time. The poll, carried out by British magazine Classic Rock, hailed the FOXY LADY star for his "devastating technique", saying Hendrix "redefined the term 'guitar hero'". THE ROLLING STONES' KEITH RICHARDS came in second place, with STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN and LED ZEPPELIN guitarist JIMMY PAGE in third and fourth place respectively. Classic Rock editor SCOTT ROWLEY says, "Singers might think that they're the real kings of rock 'n' roll, but our poll shows that guitarists are far crazier, usually more talented and the real driving force behind the music."

08/03/2007 13:10
contactmusic
--------------------------------------------------------
Last Updated: Wednesday, 7 March 2007, 14:29 GMT
BBC

Hendrix tops classic guitar poll

Jimi Hendrix has been crowned the "wildest guitar hero" of all-time in a poll of music fans for Classic Rock magazine.
The guitarist, who made his name in the late 1960s with songs like Hey Joe and Foxy Lady, died aged 27 in 1970.

Hendrix beat Rolling Stones legend Keith Richards into second place, with Stevie Ray Vaughan in third.

Classic Rock editor Scott Rowley said Hendrix had a "devastating technique" and "redefined the term 'guitar hero'".

Led Zeppelin's guitarist Jimmy Page made it to number four, followed by Dimebag Darrell, who played for several heavy metal bands including Pantera and Damageplan.

"Singers might think that they're the real kings of rock 'n' roll, but our poll shows that guitarists are far crazier, usually more talented and the real driving force behind the music," Mr Rowley said.

Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath was voted number six, with Rory Gallagher and Van Halen's Eddie Van Halen following at seven and eight.

Chuck Berry and Kurt Cobain also featured in the top 10.

But The Who guitarist Pete Townshend and Guns 'n' Roses legend Slash failed to make it into the top 20.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
8th March 2007 09:52 AM
gimmekeef This is too "wild".....wonder where Johnny Winter came in?
8th March 2007 09:56 AM
egon eggs
bacon
milk
copy of dirty work
8th March 2007 10:01 AM
Maxlugar How could Townsend not be there but Kurt Cobain is?

I'm sick and tired of Cobain making it on these guitarists lists. He was a hack, and I'm sure proudly so. It's fair enough to put him on the signer/song writer/front man lists but as a guitarist he was very rudimentary.

Townsend was an animal with the guitar. Sure, he's more an animal with little boys now but give credit where it's due...
8th March 2007 10:05 AM
glencar Never forget when Novoselic threw his bass up into the air & it came back down & hit him in the head causing much bleeding.
8th March 2007 01:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels What exactly is a "wild guitarist"? Or a "definitive" album for that matter? Anyway, Family Feud comes up with some pretty cool lists.
8th March 2007 01:23 PM
Bitch I agree, JIMI ROCKED WILDLY!
8th March 2007 01:27 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >How could Townsend not be there but Kurt Cobain is?<

Maybe that's because he's wilder than Pete.????
8th March 2007 01:52 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Ted Nugent?

Angus Young?

Neil Young at times got pretty wild with all that feedback.
8th March 2007 01:54 PM
Saint Sway are we talking about wild guitar styles? Or about wild behavior?
8th March 2007 01:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
are we talking about wild guitar styles? Or about wild behavior?

Anyone's guess, I guess. I'm not at all sure what they mean. Maybe a combination of both????
8th March 2007 02:03 PM
jb Hendrix is a vastly overrated personality. Who actually sits down and listens to that outdated stuff? Foxy lady, Purple Haze, etc..all great for the 60's, but has not aged well at all. He died, and like Lennon, was elevated to sainthood. He was a fine guitar player, but lets be honest, not close to the performer Keith and Mick T were....
8th March 2007 02:07 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
Hendrix is a vastly overrated personality. Who actually sits down and listens to that outdated stuff? Foxy lady, Purple Haze, etc..all great for the 60's, but has not aged well at all. He died, and like Lennon, was elevated to sainthood. He was a fine guitar player, but lets be honest, not close to the performer Keith and Mick T were....

That post must take the cake. I'll admit that I've posted some stupid stuff over the years but this beats me hands down. Josh!
8th March 2007 02:10 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
jb wrote:
Hendrix is a vastly overrated personality. Who actually sits down and listens to that outdated stuff? Foxy lady, Purple Haze, etc..all great for the 60's, but has not aged well at all. He died, and like Lennon, was elevated to sainthood. He was a fine guitar player, but lets be honest, not close to the performer Keith and Mick T were....

I kind of know what you are saying. But do yourself a favor and get that new Woodstock DVD performance of his. Jesus Christ! It's his full set. That guy was BALLS!
8th March 2007 02:11 PM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

That post must take the cake. I'll admit that I've posted some stupid stuff over the years but this beats me hands down. Josh!

This is how I feel TTM. I can't worship someone whose music i rarely listen to. He has , like all tragic figures, been elevated way beyond that which was warranted. I call it as I see it, and this is no different.
8th March 2007 02:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
This is how I feel TTM. I can't worship someone whose music i rarely listen to. He has , like all tragic figures, been elevated way beyond that which was warranted. I call it as I see it, and this is no different.

Sorry. I can't tell anyone how to feel... Or what music to like or listen to. But I don't think he's elevated beyond what is warranted either. The guy opened doors on guitar playing that are beyond phenomenal.

8th March 2007 04:41 PM
Saint Sway Ron Wood should definately be on the "wild" list

dude was snorting foot long rails with the hotel toilet paper holder and washing it back with a several liters of the finest hooch

see also:
Zack Wylde, Johnny Thunders, Slash, Joe Perry (70s)...
8th March 2007 04:50 PM
Saint Sway as far as being "musically wild" or out there...

Derek Trucks belongs near the top of the list

see also... Junior Brown, Vernon Reid

and if theres a list for plain out retarded wild...

Eddie "I done run out of gas/teeth" Van Halen
8th March 2007 08:02 PM
mojoman garcia was the wildest
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)