ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R&R Hall of Fame 2007
© Dimitrios Kambouris with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why Pope tried to stop Dylan knockin’ on heaven’s door Return to archive
8th March 2007 01:56 AM
Ten Thousand Motels From The Times March 08, 2007

Why Pope tried to stop Dylan knockin’ on heaven’s door
Richard Owen in Rome

Bob Dylan and the Pope were an unlikely double act for a rendition of the 1970s anthem Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.

But even the crowd of pop fans who were brought to their knees by the appearance of Pope John Paul II alongside Dylan could scarcely have imagined the rift that it caused.

The Pope’s chief aide, the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, was so appalled at the prospect of the pontiff sharing a platform with the “self-styled prophet of pop” that he tried his utmost to stop the spectacle. The Pope overruled him.

The cardinal, now Pope Benedict XVI, says in a book to be published next week that while he agreed with his predecessor on most matters, he did not share his liking for pop music. “There was reason to be sceptical, and I was,” Pope Benedict writes in the book, John Paul II, My Beloved Predecessor. “Indeed, in a certain sense I still am today.”

At the concert in Bologna, attended by 300,000 people in 1997, Dylan – who was born into a Jewish family in Minnesota but later flirted with Christianity – sang Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door and A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall, his antiwar classic, with Forever Young as an encore.

He did not sing his 1963 hit Blowin’ in the Wind, but John Paul II – who was known for his showmanship and media skills – showed his familiarity with the song and based his homily on it in an effort to connect with the audience.

“You say the answer is blowing in the wind, my friend,” he said. “So it is: but it is not the wind that blows things away, it is the breath and life of the Holy Spirit, the voice that calls and says, Come!” This brought the house down. The Pope added: “You ask me how many roads a man must walk down before he becomes a man. I answer: there is only one road for man, and it is the road of Jesus Christ, who said, ‘I am the Way and the Life’.”

Pope Benedict says that he “doubts to this day whether it was right to let this kind of so-called prophet take the stage” in front of the Pope. He admits that John Paul did get across a spiritual message that was otherwise largely “ignored by the entertainment industry”.

Pope Benedict has said that rock music is the work of Satan and last year he cancelled the fundraising Christmas pop concert at the Vatican, which under John Paul II had run for 13 years. He may have been wary of a repeat of the 2003 concert, when Lauryn Hill called on Church leaders to “repent” over sexual abuse by clergy, or 2005, when Daniela Mercury, the Brazilian singer, was dropped from the show in case she promoted the use of condoms to prevent Aids.

Pope Benedict is known to favour Mozart and Bach, and was always unlikely to enjoy chatting – as Pope John Paul II did – with singers. He opposes the use of guitars during Mass, telling priests that “the liturgy is not a theatrical text, and the altar is not a stage . . . It is important not to become merely actors in a spectacle.”

Bob and God

Oh God said to Abraham,
“Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.”
Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
Highway 61 Revisited (1965)

When I’m gone don’t wonder where I be.
Just say that I trusted in God and that Christ was in me.
Say He defeated the devil, He was God’s chosen Son.
And that there ain’t no man righteous, no not one
Ain’t No Man Righteous (No Not One) (1981)

Well they’ll choose a man for you to meet tonight
You’ll play the fool and learn how to walk through doors
How to enter into the gates of paradise
No, how to carry a burden too heavy to be yours
Yeah, from the stage they’ll be tryin’ to get water outta rocks
A whore will pass the hat, collect a hundred grand and say thanks
They like to take all this money from sin, build big universities to study in
Sing “Amazing Grace” all the way to the Swiss banks.
Foot of Pride (1983)

© Special Rider Music

8th March 2007 04:33 AM
Prodigal Son Wow, this new pope sucks. John Paul II actually saw the good in pop/rock music and how it could unite the masses without causing satanic rituals and mass killings like Benedick thinks. Man, even if I were a devout Catholic this guy would piss me off. He prefers classical. Damn, I'm sure Pope Pius the 18th back then or whoever, believed that Beethoven's music was that of Satan's because it used 7ths and minor changes!!! Sounds like Benedick would fit in well with the fundamental right-wing Christians of the world.
8th March 2007 04:50 AM
Gazza >Pope Benedict says that he “doubts to this day whether it was right to let this kind of so-called prophet take the stage” in front of the Pope. He admits that John Paul did get across a spiritual message that was otherwise largely “ignored by the entertainment industry”.

asshole

>Pope Benedict has said that rock music is the work of Satan and last year he cancelled the fundraising Christmas pop concert at the Vatican, which under John Paul II had run for 13 years.

Double asshole.
8th March 2007 05:27 AM
corgi37 Goddamn Catholics. They are gonna be the death of me.
8th March 2007 05:36 AM
Erik_Snow
Narrow minded popes and pope-helpers...
8th March 2007 06:42 AM
Ten Thousand Motels >Pope Benedict has said that rock music is the work of Satan<

No, no, he's got it all wrong....this below zero cold I'm suffering is the work of Satan.
8th March 2007 08:58 AM
kovach Pope Benedict must've never heard this Dylan song:

In the time of my confession, in the hour of my deepest need
When the pool of tears beneath my feet flood every newborn seed
There's a dyin' voice within me reaching out somewhere,
Toiling in the danger and in the morals of despair.

Don't have the inclination to look back on any mistake,
Like Cain, I now behold this chain of events that I must break.
In the fury of the moment I can see the Master's hand
In every leaf that trembles, in every grain of sand.

Oh, the flowers of indulgence and the weeds of yesteryear,
Like criminals, they have choked the breath of conscience and good cheer.
The sun beat down upon the steps of time to light the way
To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

I gaze into the doorway of temptation's angry flame
And every time I pass that way I always hear my name.
Then onward in my journey I come to understand
That every hair is numbered like every grain of sand.

I have gone from rags to riches in the sorrow of the night
In the violence of a summer's dream, in the chill of a wintry light,
In the bitter dance of loneliness fading into space,
In the broken mirror of innocence on each forgotten face.

I hear the ancient footsteps like the motion of the sea
Sometimes I turn, there's someone there, other times it's only me.
I am hanging in the balance of the reality of man
Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
8th March 2007 09:52 AM
pdog God has the worst PR Department...
9th March 2007 10:15 AM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:
God has the worst PR Department...

He needs to sign a deal with Ultrastar. Look at the great job rs.com is doing.

The potential for similarly great T-shirts is enormous.
[Edited by Gazza]
9th March 2007 10:21 AM
jb Is Dylan a Jew , Atheist, or Christian at the moment? I admit, the one Dylan song I can listen to is "Joker Man", which got a lot of air play back on MTV in the late 80's I think...
9th March 2007 12:00 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Is Dylan a Jew , Atheist, or Christian at the moment? I admit, the one Dylan song I can listen to is "Joker Man", which got a lot of air play back on MTV in the late 80's I think...

Jokerman came out in late '83.

Bob's music has always been steeped in religious imagery and symbolism, although what is generally known as his 'Christian period' were the 3 albums that came out from 1979-81 when he was a member of the Vineyard Fellowship, a fundamentalist religious group based in California.

He tends to be somewhat enigmatic and elusive about it in public, so its a bit confusing. He was photographed at the Wailing Wall in 1982 and had his sons' Bar-Mitzvahed, which would give the impression he's re-embraced the Tribe, plus he's also taken part in various Chabad telethons down the years.

However, at the same time he's continued to play some of that 'Christian' material in concert, (including introducing the song "In the garden" as 'a song about my hero' in a televised concert in '86) and has even played live cover versions of contemporary Christian songs from time to time. Not to mention his appearance in front of the Pope (although Dylan has never been a Roman Catholic)

If you've got a spare half-hour, you might find some of these links of use if you want to read up on our friend Shabtai Zisel ben Avraham v'Rachel Riva - or Uncle Bob, to you and me.

http://my.execpc.com/~billp61/religion.html
[Edited by Gazza]
9th March 2007 12:04 PM
jb Thanks...Chabad is like Kabballah now...although technically strictly for the orthodox, they take anyone in an attempt to convert them as well.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)