ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Bank Atlantic Center, Sunrise, FL - March 12, 2006
© Mike Bush with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones fans berate EBay scalper scum Return to archive
9th March 2006 05:30 AM
StickyFishFingers here's a snippet of a story on themusic.com.au:
"STONES SCALPED
Advance tickets for The Rolling Stones' shows in Melbourne and Sydney went on sale last Friday at 9am - and were snapped up by scalpers who listed them on auction site eBay within an hour. Scalpers managed to get hold of top-quality tickets despite the fact that Ticketek's site reached maximum capacity before tickets actually went on sale. Fans used eBay's question feature to react angrily to the scalpers' grab for cash. "Why are you such a fucking scumbag?" one asked scalper bubble_girrl. "Get a real job and make a real income. I hope you get hit by a car and die a slow and painful death. Fucking scalper." Another asked: "Why do you suck so much? Scalper scum." Bubble_girrl's answer is unlikely to win her fresh fans: she says the tickets are extras for friends who can't make it. "We are such big fans we are members of the fan club and were lucky enough to get tickets early. Maybe if you supported the band by the joining the fanclub you would have good tickets too"

I think Bubble girrls remarks about supporting the band are quite offensive - if she was a true Stones fan she would sell those tix at face value. I think I might leave her a little message & i encourage everyone else to do so also......

9th March 2006 05:34 AM
corgi37 Well, bubble girl did alright, so who gives a shit?
9th March 2006 06:40 AM
StickyFishFingers I do and so do many other Stones fans apparently. Bubble girrl and her ilk are parasites. If she sold the tickets at the price she paid for them in the first place then that would be cool but she was out to make a profit by ripping off fellow Stones fans & who are most likely more passionate about the Stones than her I suspect. Being ripped off by the promoters, musicians, ticketing distributors etc s one thing & unfortunately a necessary evil if you want to see the band live but being ripped off by a person claiming to be a Stones fan is even worse as far as i'm concerned. Sorry to get on my soapbox about this but i'm just really pissed about it....
[Edited by StickyFishFingers]
9th March 2006 06:16 PM
winter I actually have used ebay to get stones tickets regularly.

I have scored seats in the first 10 rows on the floor for not more than $150 above face for at least 6 shows (face for the most expensive seats that is, sometimes the first 10 rows are discounted, but I don't feel cheated paying $425 to sit in the 4th row, even if the face is $100, if the seats in row 11 cost $350). This is significantly cheaper than what the full time scalpers charge, and to me, the added cost is worth the ability to sit in the first 10 rows, as the chance of getting in the first 10 rows through the luck of the draw on ticketmaster is very small. I realize it happens, but the odds are against it.

The fan club worked amazing for me on licks, but did not work for me at all on the current tour.

I don't understand why people get worked up about this stuff. It's rationale economic behavior, and there are so many people trolling for tickets on ticketmaster when the on sale starts, that it is not realistic to assume that you are always going to get good seats. So these "scalpers" at least provide fans with an opportunity to still get seats (albiet often at a premium) where they might otherwise be shut out by the luck of the draw.

You really can use these things to your advantage with some patience. Tickets often go for less than face value in the weeks leading up to the show on ebay, plus there are ticketmaster drops, etc. (for example, I scored 10th row fenway on TM for the opener the day before the show).

Many other people on this board, I think, will agree that there is almost always a way to get a decent seat at a decent price if you don't get caught up in the hype.

wintah
9th March 2006 06:27 PM
StickyFishFingers Fair enough Winter, but what irks me is that I suspect some of those scalpers have no intention of going to the gig in the first place. No offence to anyone - but I guess I'm the only one here who feels so strongly about this subject.
9th March 2006 06:47 PM
corgi37 But how do you know she isnt telling the truth? She got tix during the pre-sale. I cant fathom why she is such a bad grrrl. The opening bid was $10.00. Its a free market, man. She didnt ask for $1800 for 2 tix - Some one OFFERED her $1,800. Big difference.

So, i assume, when you sell your house, and the agent says "Yep, you should get $300,000 - and you are offered $350,000, that you will refuse to accept the extra $50,000?
9th March 2006 07:37 PM
winter
quote:
StickyFishFingers wrote:
Fair enough Winter, but what irks me is that I suspect some of those scalpers have no intention of going to the gig in the first place. No offence to anyone - but I guess I'm the only one here who feels so strongly about this subject.

Understood, and I appreciate the frustration, the tickets ain't cheap in the first place. The point of my long winded reponse as to say - look on the bright side and try to use the system to your advantage. This maybe easier for me to say, as we get 10 or so shows within a 150 mile radius (between Boston, NY, NJ and Hartford), so if I miss out on one by waiting to the last minute, it's not such a big deal, but where there are only a few shows for an entire country, I can see why the stress level increases.

Good luck with scoring tickets. If I have any more words of advice, it is to say get a seat where you can make a timely dash to the B-stage. Do it, there is no better place to see them. Last show in boston, I was no more than 3ft from them. Simply amazing.

9th March 2006 08:14 PM
pdog We're all suckers...
9th March 2006 09:42 PM
StickyFishFingers Thanks for your advice Pdog.

Corgi: "So, i assume, when you sell your house, and the agent says "Yep, you should get $300,000 - and you are offered $350,000, that you will refuse to accept the extra $50,000?"

That's an unfair comparison. Of course I wouldn't refuse the extra money in that situation because the money would be going towards my next property, how often is the case that when a person buys another property they are upgrading to a more expensive property?. Bubble girrl is just one of many examples on EBay - there are people from other countries who bought tix to those shows who are selling at over inflated prices. The point I was trying to get across is scalpers take advantage of real fans simply for the sake of making a profit. You might have noticed earlier in the week I mentioned that I was hoping to get better seats than those I already have in the general sale. If I had've been lucky enough to have scored better seats I would have sold my other tickets at the price I paid for them & not at some inflated price. I couldn't give a toss about ripping off another Stones fan for my own personal gain. I know you and I disagree on this, so I guess it's best if we say no more about this issue. In fact I regret even bringing it up .....
9th March 2006 10:04 PM
Daethgod i posted this in another thread, but prob belongs here :

fark ebay dude has Sec A Row A

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ROLLING-STON...1QQcmdZViewItem
$2,690.00

shithead
paid $125 per seat

how come us fanclub members, even Pre May 9 missed out on Sec A and B ?

9th March 2006 10:34 PM
pdog
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
i posted this in another thread, but prob belongs here :

fark ebay dude has Sec A Row A

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ROLLING-STON...1QQcmdZViewItem
$2,690.00

shithead
paid $125 per seat

how come us fanclub members, even Pre May 9 missed out on Sec A and B ?

The scalpers/brokers get the tickets directly from the promoters... If we don't buy them, they pop up 48/24 hours before showtime for face value either through the box office, online or on the street. eBay was full of this shit all this tour and Licks too. It's amazing how cheap tix get right before showtime.
9th March 2006 10:44 PM
corgi37 Stickyfishfingers - No sweat mate. It's a free talking board! It's a tricky situation, but i am not totally pissed off about it as others are. Shit like this happens all the time. A million times worse with only 2 shows for 20 mill people.

Imnagine if we had a normal tour? Things would be sweet. But, then, you just know in those front rows will be soapie stars, footballers, gay barmen, secretaries. I tell you, during Licks, my brothers de-facto was part of 10 people with free tickets. Front fucking row! She works for Guests Furniture. Some one tell me what the fuck they have to do with the Stones? Anyway, bitch didnt go. She was "Too tired". Didnt give me the ticket either, the fat slut! That was for 1st Melb show in 03.

If i couldnt get Sydney, i was more than prepared to go to N.Z. I am such a monkey for this band.

BTW, is N.Z. sold out?
9th March 2006 11:42 PM
StickyFishFingers no worries buddy, sorry i got a bit irate about it all. i think PDog was on the money when he suggested that the fact that we don't get the band downunder too often doesn't help matters, plus not to forget to mention the dramas last week with the Etix fiasco. I think it all came to a head for me not long after that.

re NZ, dunno but i did also read on themusic.com.au that there similar dramas to the Etix situation with the Visa presale over there. Apparently people were able to log in before the allocated timeslot and get tix. As per Wednesday when themusic updates its news stories, the problem still hadn't been resolved.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)