ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Bank Atlantic Center, Sunrise, FL - March 12, 2006
© Mike Bush with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Dave Alvin Album Due May 30th Return to archive
8th March 2006 12:20 AM
Barney Fife From: http://yeproc.com/artist_info.php?artistId=883&page=news

Dave Alvin’s "West of the West" Set for May 30th Release
February 13, 2006, 12:28 pm

Los Angeles, CA: Dave Alvin has rightfully been hailed as one of the best songwriters and guitarists of his generation, but his career, both with The Blasters and as a solo artist, has also shown him to be a musician with a unique sense of history and a broad and deep knowledge of American songwriting; Variety called him a performer with "an exquisite sense of place." The perfect combination of musician and material, West Of The West (to be released by Yep Roc Records on May 30th) is Dave Alvin's tribute to the songs and songwriters of California. It's the fourth-generation Californian's latest excursion into the sounds and history of his home state, continuing the high standard he set with King of California and Blackjack David.

It's Dave's second collection of cover songs; the first, 2000's Public Domain, won a Grammy for Best Traditional Folk Album. For West Of The West, Dave has drawn from the work of songwriters both well known and obscure; what holds them together is that they were either born or grew up in California. The album mixes much loved songs by Jackson Browne, Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter, Los Lobos' David Hidalgo and Louis Perez, Merle Haggard, John Fogerty, Tom Waits and Brian Wilson with unearthed gems from such overlooked talents as Richard Berry, Blackie Farrell, Kate Wolf and Jim Ringer, songwriters who Dave honors for helping to keep the West Coast folk scene alive in the late 60s and 70s. There's even "Between The Cracks," a song Dave co-wrote with singer-songwriter Tom Russell. The version recorded for 1993's "Museum of Heart" never felt quite right, and since both Dave and Tom are native Californians, this seemed the perfect opportunity to go back and get it right. For Dave, the impressive breadth of styles is part of what he loves about California. "It's more open out here," he explains, "you're exposed to so many different cultures living side by side and people just feel more comfortable mixing things up."

The impressive group of musicians who worked with Dave on the record have deep California roots as well. Dave's family has lived in the Golden State since the 1870's; producer/guitarist Greg Leisz, whose impressive resume (Joni Mitchell, Sheryl Crow, Peter Case, Victoria Williams, k.d. lang, Wilco, Lucinda Williams, Beck, and Brian Wilson, to name a few) spans styles and generations, can trace his family's roots back to the 1850's. Members of the Guilty Men such as Don Heffington and Greg Boaz, as well as Christy McWilson, are also California natives. Working with them, Dave makes the songs his own, reinventing them, bringing unexpected emotional shadings and making even the best-known tunes sound fresh. "Blind Love" becomes a smoky, late night ballad, "Don't Look Now" a rollicking understated boogie and "Surfer Girl," graced by one of the most tender vocals Dave has ever recorded, is turned into a doo-wop plaint.

A deeply felt and emotionally honest portrait of a place that is both shining example and scrap-yard of the American Dream, West Of The West is a record that only Dave Alvin could have made.

Track Listing. California Bloodlines - John Stewart
2. Redneck Friend - Jackson Browne
3. Kern River - Merle Haggard
4. Blind Love - Tom Waits
5. Here In California - Kate Wolf
6. I'm Bewildered - Richard Berry
7. Sonora's death Row - Blackie Farrell
8. Between The Cracks - Dave Alvin/Tom Russell
9. Down On The Riverbed - David Hidalgo/Louie Perez
10. Tramps and Hawkers - Jim Ringer
11. Don't Look Now - John Fogerty
12. Loser - Jerry Garcia/Robert Hunter
13. Surfer Girl - Brian Wilson

8th March 2006 08:54 AM
nanatod Shouldn't Alvin release the album on July 4th?
8th March 2006 09:11 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Shouldn't Alvin release the album on July 4th?

I get your point, but I'm guessing he'll start a summer tour with The Guilty Men soon after May 30th. With any luck I'll see them play July 3rd at FitzGerald's American Music Festival in Berwyn, plus maybe here in St. Louis too.

8th March 2006 09:22 AM
nanatod
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:

I get your point, but I'm guessing he'll start a summer tour with The Guilty Men soon after May 30th. With any luck I'll see them play July 3rd at FitzGerald's American Music Festival in Berwyn, plus maybe here in St. Louis too.

Too many repeat acts at American Music Festival these days. I prefer regular Fitzgerald's schedule, especially when Joe Ely plays, or act that doesn't play Fitzgerald's often. Also Am. Mus. Festival is at same time as Milwaukee Summerfest and Taste of Chicago. Summerfest allows us to see 13-15 big acts per day, so we can sample acts we ordinarily wouldn't see on their own.

Didn't know you were in Saint Loser, because your profile says Tarheel. I did my time in Misery-- WU classes of '82 and '86. Did see Chuck Berry play 6 flags, the arch, and Wu's quad though. St. L. not a music town the way Chicago and Chapel Hill are.
8th March 2006 09:37 AM
Barney Fife Yeah, I didn't move here for the music! When I lived in Lombard I used to go into the city every weekend for music. Chicago is by far the best place for blues music in the United States and is better than New York or any other US city in many other musical ways too.
8th March 2006 09:57 AM
nanatod "When I lived in Lombard"

I live in downtown Chicago, but 've seen more good music in DuPage County than I did in 7 1/2 years living in St. Louis (Pageant wasn't built then, so we had to go to Mississippi Nights to see Spirit, David Crosby,and Dwight Twilley--but not on the same night). We go to Lombard every fourth of july holiday as their festival brings in name classic rock bands every year, Downers Grove has two summer festivals, and Naperville is good for music. Of course, you know that.

Have you been to Crown Candy Kitchen, or do you follow the lemmings heading to Ted Drewes?
8th March 2006 10:34 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
Yeah, I didn't move here for the music! When I lived in Lombard I used to go into the city every weekend for music. Chicago is by far the best place for blues music in the United States and is better than New York or any other US city in many other musical ways too.

Say it ain't so. Better than Austin. Don't let them hear you say dat on the Tejas-centric board you frequent.

quote:
nanatod wrote:
Too many repeat acts at American Music Festival these days. I prefer regular Fitzgerald's schedule, especially when Joe Ely plays, or act that doesn't play Fitzgerald's often. Also Am. Mus. Festival is at same time as Milwaukee Summerfest and Taste of Chicago. Summerfest allows us to see 13-15 big acts per day, so we can sample acts we ordinarily wouldn't see on their own.

Like Lee Rocker this weekend. Hey, I'm a creature of habit so give me a repeat of Dave or Jon Dee anytime over going to the taste (are you kidding me?) or Milwaukee.

8th March 2006 10:46 AM
nanatod Polk, Big Sandy played the taste. Texas Playboys played the taste. Even Bocephus played the taste. You want to skip the pop drivel, but occasionally you get an interesting act at the taste.

With respect to Milwaukee Summerfest, we go for the metal acts and the jam bands (2 categories of music that may not be popular on this board). Barbarito Torres even played there once.

[Edited by nanatod]
[Edited by nanatod]
8th March 2006 10:55 AM
polksalad69
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Polk, Big Sandy played the taste. Texas Playboys played the taste. Even Bocephus played the taste. You want to skip the pop drivel, but occasionally you get an interesting act at the taste.

With respect to Milwaukee Summerfest, we go for the metal acts and the jam bands (2 categories of music that may not be popular on this board). Barbarito Torres even played there once.

That's cool, Big Sandy is a repeat act at the AMF too. Did you catch this feller last year at the AMF?

I live in the burbs so it's much easier to deal with Fitzgerald's than the Taste. I do make a point of hitting the blues fest however.

8th March 2006 11:13 AM
nanatod
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

That's cool, Big Sandy is a repeat act at the AMF too. Did you catch this feller last year at the AMF?

I live in the burbs so it's much easier to deal with Fitzgerald's than the Taste. I do make a point of hitting the blues fest however.

I live downtown, and it's even easier for me to deal with Fitzgerald's than the Taste. I was at Fitzgerald's for Joe Ely recently, but haven't been to the AMF in about 5 years, but I did see the keyboard player some years ago when he toured with Jackson Browne.
8th March 2006 11:31 AM
polksalad69 going to see Lee Rocker this weekend. haven't seen him since he was with Scotty Moore (at Schubas) a few years ago. haven't been to Fitzgerald's since the fall.
8th March 2006 11:55 PM
Barney Fife
quote:
nanatod wrote:

Have you been to Crown Candy Kitchen, or do you follow the lemmings heading to Ted Drewes?

We haven't been to the Crown Candy Kitchen yet, but it's worth a try. We make it to Ted Drewes about twice a year. I'd rather just buy Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk, sit at home and eat about 2/3 of the pint myself!
9th March 2006 09:19 AM
nanatod
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:

We haven't been to the Crown Candy Kitchen yet, but it's worth a try. We make it to Ted Drewes about twice a year. I'd rather just buy Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk, sit at home and eat about 2/3 of the pint myself!

Crown Candy is at its best right before Easter, when all the big chocolate bunnies and other candies are on display. Order the ice cream / malts and get the candy to go. You must go IMMEDIATELY; put aside anything you are doing and drive up there. I here however, that the neighborhood is even more decrepit than it was in around 1994, the last time I was there, so be careful.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)