ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Bank Atlantic Center, Sunrise, FL - March 12, 2006
© Mike Bush with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What is the song count this tour? Return to archive Page: 1 2
9th March 2006 07:40 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Gazza wrote:
"Dance" simply works better in concert (anyway, it was only played once or twice wasnt it?), is a far superior song and is easier to play. The vocal on "Emotional Rescue" would be quite hard to pull off I would think.

ER is certainly the weakest single the Stones ever released. only Streets of Love comes close.

Its noticeable that they havent played THAT either!

Dance was played twice as far as I remember, one of the performances of it is of course on Four Flicks. As far as EM, yes the vocal would be tough live, but if Mick can do the high parts of Worried About You as good as he has, I think he could handle EM. And Streets Of Love, I think it might be tried out in Europe, it went over a lot better there than here. Still its my least favorite song on ABB.
[Edited by Break The Spell]
9th March 2006 07:47 AM
Gazza My mistake on 'Dance' - I was mixing it up with 'Walk dont look back' which got played at only one of the theatre shows.

'Dance' was played at seven theatre shows on the last tour, Utrecht being the last one.
9th March 2006 09:19 AM
glencar I expect (and hope!) to see SOL performed whilst in London in August.
9th March 2006 09:21 AM
Break The Spell I'd be surprised if they didn't try Streets Of Love at least once while in Europe. There were some women at my work who don't like the Stones but they love that song, they knew it from the Days Of Our Lives episode it was in.
9th March 2006 09:25 AM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Probably because a higher proportion of people at Stones gigs are there on a 'corporate' night out than would be the case for any other artist

Seriously, this excuse wasnt a factor prior to this tour. Look at the average setlist from any tour prior to this one.

And if you can assume that at the bare mininimum, anyone who goes to a Stones show would own a copy of "40 Licks" that still leaves over 30 songs that everyone should know and which could be dropped in and out of the set at any time.

I honestly dont believe that if someone goes to one show a tour and the Stones DONT play one or two of their ten best known songs, that person is going to either walk out in disgust or go home so disappointed that they'll never want to see the band again. For a band to feel like they're hostages to such a narrow minded mentality and to feel obliged to tailor a show to that kind of 'customer' is baffling

I'll never forget when I went to the Licks opener in Beantown & the two women sitting next to us seemed to be uptight despite having just smoked a doobie. We happened to run into them at the rest area just west of the city on the Masspike. I asked them how they liked the show & I was sorely disappointed when they said something like how the show was a letdown because they didn't play any hits. The Boston accent made it sound kind of funny but still I was pissed. Here's the abnd doing deep cuts from their well-known catalogue & this is the general reaction? Oy!!
9th March 2006 09:39 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:

I'll never forget when I went to the Licks opener in Beantown & the two women sitting next to us seemed to be uptight despite having just smoked a doobie. We happened to run into them at the rest area just west of the city on the Masspike. I asked them how they liked the show & I was sorely disappointed when they said something like how the show was a letdown because they didn't play any hits. The Boston accent made it sound kind of funny but still I was pissed. Here's the abnd doing deep cuts from their well-known catalogue & this is the general reaction? Oy!!

Thats what I was saying, for most people like those 2 boston chicks, they just come for the hits. When the Stones do dig deep in their catalog, they get put down for not playing the hits, even though the true fans love it. In the past, it seems the general crowd was more open to different set lists becuase the full length studio album in general was held in higher regard, so that way people would be more familiar with deeper cuts. Now, its mainly all about the hit single, lots of people don't really even buy albums, so they won't know the deep cuts, they just download the hits they want and listen to those.
9th March 2006 09:41 AM
Gazza and the setlist at that apparently "hits free" Licks opener was :

Street Fighting Man/If You Can’t Rock Me/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Don’t Stop/Stray Cat Blues/Wild Horses/Loving Cup/Rocks Off/Rip This Joint/Tumbling Dice/Band introduction/Slipping Away/Happy/Love Train/Undercover Of The Night/Can’t You Hear Me Knocking/Honky Tonk Women/Satisfaction/
Mannish Boy/Neighbours/Brown Sugar /
Sympathy For The Devil/Jumping Jack Flash)

Makes you wonder what kind of parallel universe these people live in....
9th March 2006 10:31 AM
glencar And they were high! Wouldn't the buzz make you like whatever they played? My brother-in-law isn't even a fan & he liked the show. It was funny because he was reading the song titles off of Charlie's plexiglass & saying, "Do they have a song called 'Undercover'?"
9th March 2006 11:37 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:
And they were high! Wouldn't the buzz make you like whatever they played? My brother-in-law isn't even a fan & he liked the show. It was funny because he was reading the song titles off of Charlie's plexiglass & saying, "Do they have a song called 'Undercover'?"

Indeed, you'd think with all that those two Boston chicks would have been psyched, but their probably the type that just want either hot Rocks or Jump Back to be played in order to get their Satisfaction. So did your brother in law enjoy Undercover??
9th March 2006 12:19 PM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
On the 78 and 81 tours, as many as 6-7 new songs were done each night. Hell, even Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge usually got 5 songs a night in the set list.

Weren't the setlists longer during those previous tours? It would be easier to play 6 or 7 new songs in a 24-25 song set because that leaves plenty of room for older stuff and the hits. But on this current tour the standard set is about 20 songs so they can't fill it with too much new stuff because that would axe too many of the hits.
9th March 2006 12:27 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jerry in Boston wrote:

Weren't the setlists longer during those previous tours? It would be easier to play 6 or 7 new songs in a 24-25 song set because that leaves plenty of room for older stuff and the hits. But on this current tour the standard set is about 20 songs so they can't fill it with too much new stuff because that would axe too many of the hits.

Yes, the 89-90 tour typically saw 26-28 songs, as did Voodoo Lounge and Tattoo You's tours. On the 78 tour, it was usually 20-22 songs and they still managed 6 or so new ones a night, but it was also behind a very powerful new album at the time too.
9th March 2006 12:33 PM
glencar BTS, yeah, my bro-in-law liked the whole show but we (and the complaining women) were 2nd row from the top of the Fleet Center where the sound was somewhat tinny. He walked down a level to use the bathroom at one point & realized the sound was 3X as good so we made our way down a bit. He did issue a mild criticism of "Love Train" that the back-up singers' timing was off but overall he loved the show especially CYHMK & JJF.
9th March 2006 12:35 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:
BTS, yeah, my bro-in-law liked the whole show but we (and the complaining women) were 2nd row from the top of the Fleet Center where the sound was somewhat tinny. He walked down a level to use the bathroom at one point & realized the sound was 3X as good so we made our way down a bit. He did issue a mild criticism of "Love Train" that the back-up singers' timing was off but overall he loved the show especially CYHMK & JJF.

Good to hear, I was watching the live HBO MSG show with my cousin in 03 and he isn't a fan but even he liked the long jam part of CYHMK.
9th March 2006 12:37 PM
glencar I love how the song opens that movie "Blow". Incredible scene.
9th March 2006 12:42 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:
I love how the song opens that movie "Blow". Incredible scene.

Never saw Blow, but I love how Jumpin' Jack Flash ends Fear & loathing In Las Vegas.
9th March 2006 12:43 PM
glencar I don't recall that but I did just see the Bill Murray HST movie(Where The Buffalo Roam) & Depp outdid him.
9th March 2006 12:47 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:
I don't recall that but I did just see the Bill Murray HST movie(Where The Buffalo Roam) & Depp outdid him.

Its pretty good, the scene I'm referring to is the closing credit, it shows a pretty cool desert scene with JJF playing in the background.
9th March 2006 05:11 PM
mmdog
quote:
rasputin56 wrote:
Just saying but, Springsteen played 139 different songs on his last tour. To be honest, I really don't know why anyone would go to more than 1 show per tour for them. Apart from the exorbitant prices per ticket, the lack of mixing up the setlist certainly doesn't promote seing multi shows.

Are you referring to the Devils and Dust Tour, or the last E-Street Band tour? I know Springsteen mixes it up, but I don't think it's fair to compare a solo acoustic tour to a full band rock show.
9th March 2006 05:23 PM
rasputin56 Yes, you're right. I was referring to the D&D tour in my previous post. For the Rising Tour, the last full band tour (Vote for Change doesn't count), they played exactly 150 different songs.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)