ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Bank Atlantic Center, Sunrise, FL - March 12, 2006
© Mike Bush with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Story Behind "Paint It Black?" Return to archive
6th March 2006 01:43 PM
mcclellan28 Anyone know what the story behind "Paint It Black" is?
6th March 2006 01:45 PM
Joey " Anyone know what the story behind "Paint It Black" is? "

< ----- Mick and Keith were painting at Mick's country estate one day. Mick wanted to paint all of the doors red, but Keith insisted they should be black. Mick says "Wow. Those sound like pretty cool lyrics." Keith just happened to have a sitar on hand, and the rest is ....... well ...

Are you sure Lil' Buddy ?!?!

It sounds a little ...... well ..... SIMPLISTIC to me

Developing ..................

[Edited by Joey]
6th March 2006 01:56 PM
star star i think it was a request from mick, circa 1966, for his interior decorators to "paint it (my front door) black" the original meaning of the story was suppressed by people who read into lyrics too much as a dark tale of suicide and depression.
6th March 2006 01:59 PM
the good Mick and Keith were painting at Mick's country estate one day. Mick wanted to paint all of the doors red, but Keith insisted they should be black. Mick says "Wow. Those sound like pretty cool lyrics." Keith just happened to have a sitar on hand, and the rest is rock and roll history.
6th March 2006 02:10 PM
telecaster Wasn't it about some groupie that followed them around

I think they name a restaurant chain after her
6th March 2006 02:13 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Wasn't it about some groupie that followed them around

I think they name a restaurant chain after her

6th March 2006 02:18 PM
telecaster Cattlemans 3:30?

Have your gal call my gal
6th March 2006 02:19 PM
gimmekeef Only the gal that yells out "Paint It Black You Devils"...on Ya Ya's knows for sure....
6th March 2006 02:39 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Only the gal that yells out "Paint It Black You Devils"...on Ya Ya's knows for sure....

What about that dude that yells it out before "Let It Rock"??
6th March 2006 02:41 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Cattlemans 3:30?

Have your gal call my gal

Done !

[Edited by Joey]
6th March 2006 02:46 PM
mcclellan28
quote:
star star wrote:
The original meaning of the story was suppressed by people who read into lyrics too much as a dark tale of suicide and depression.

Yeah, I guess I’m guilty of reading too much into it as well. That song has such dark imagery though. "A line of cars, and they're all painted black" "Flowers, and my love both never to come back." Sounds like a funeral to me. I always thought it might have been inspired by the death of a close friend or family member.
6th March 2006 03:08 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

The gal was 69 (hmmmm was that a Freudian slip?)...That guy is a copy cat yeller...lol
6th March 2006 03:21 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

The gal was 69 (hmmmm was that a Freudian slip?)...That guy is a copy cat yeller...lol

I always wondered if that was the same girl who does those demonic screams during the live Midnight Rambler on ya-ya's, like right around the part Mick says "Well you heard about the Boston..."
6th March 2006 03:28 PM
Paranoid_Android I always liked to think it was about Heroine myself.
6th March 2006 06:39 PM
Soldatti
quote:
mcclellan28 wrote:
Anyone know what the story behind "Paint It Black" is?

Wyman can answer you, apparently.
7th March 2006 02:54 AM
Dick Bush Keef's song was initially a wonderful, slow balad called "Gimme Yellow" - and that was too much of ambiguity for Mick the texter, hence the song name.

7th March 2006 03:12 AM
IanBillen [quote]gimmekeef wrote:
Only the gal that yells out "Paint It Black You Devils"...on Ya Ya's knows for sure....

That is also on Flash Point. They threw that in. I think it is......before YCAGWYW?

Anyway they remixed that in again just to you know....prick your ears once more.

Ian

7th March 2006 05:23 AM
corgi37 Yep, its on Flashpoint too. I heard it the 1st time i ever played it. Lovely little in joke there, but i have never heard why they put it in. Just shows you how fake these "live" albums are. The so-called "live audience" on EJ's "Benny and the Jets" is just John Reid and some one else (Bernie Taupin?) over dubbing themselves clapping and cheering over and over again.
7th March 2006 06:49 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Yep, its on Flashpoint too. I heard it the 1st time i ever played it. Lovely little in joke there, but i have never heard why they put it in. Just shows you how fake these "live" albums are. The so-called "live audience" on EJ's "Benny and the Jets" is just John Reid and some one else (Bernie Taupin?) over dubbing themselves clapping and cheering over and over again.

Type O Negative took this concept to a whole new level, they manufactured a live album completely in the studio. They had fake responses, including the crowd booing and shouting insults when their favorite songs were not played. The set even got delayed when a bomb threat was made. Origin of the Feces was an appropriate title.
7th March 2006 12:59 PM
keefkid
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I always wondered if that was the same girl who does those demonic screams during the live Midnight Rambler on ya-ya's, like right around the part Mick says "Well you heard about the Boston..."

I went to high school with a guy who claimed he is the 'God Damn' on ya-ya's ...

wtf knows...
7th March 2006 01:05 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
keefkid wrote:

I went to high school with a guy who claimed he is the 'God Damn' on ya-ya's ...

wtf knows...

Thats cool if he's being truthful. There's all kinds of subliminal mutterings in the crowd if you listen to that album closely from the start of Rambler to the end of Sympathy.
7th March 2006 08:30 PM
glencar The Stones natch did the first faked live album. Got live If You (Sort Of) Want It!
7th March 2006 09:11 PM
GhostofBrianJones I heard the song was named that because of the tour schedule. Mick was
totally exhausted from touring and supposedly used that expression because
he was sick of the schedule imposed upon them. He was disgusted from the
things that happened to them on tour in the Sixties and just wanted everything
Painted Black. Not sure will check my books.
8th March 2006 06:31 AM
Navin
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Is that "Paint it Black" which the dude yells out or is that "Let it Rock" itself...
8th March 2006 06:41 AM
FotiniD I always thought Paint it Black was just about depression and feeling way down low.

I think everyone sooner or later goes through that phase, feeling everything should look black. Some even never come out of it
[Edited by FotiniD]
8th March 2006 08:40 AM
gypsy It fits so perfectly in "Full Metal Jacket."
8th March 2006 09:06 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Navin wrote:

Is that "Paint it Black" which the dude yells out or is that "Let it Rock" itself...

Yes, I was referring to the beginning of Let It Rock, right before Keith plays the opening riffs you can hear a guy yell "Paint It Black".
8th March 2006 10:59 AM
icydanger
Quelqu’un m’a dit que,
Jimi Hendrix painted all his walls black in first flat in in London in 66. A link? Maybe may be not.
rainy day....

8th March 2006 11:05 AM
Joey
quote:
icydanger wrote:

Quelqu’un m’a dit que,
Jimi Hendrix painted all his walls black in first flat in in London in 66. A link? Maybe may be not.
rainy day....

Hello Icy .....................

Welcome Back !
8th March 2006 11:29 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
icydanger wrote:

Quelqu’un m’a dit que,
rainy day....

One of those rooms must have been an early rehearsal space for the Hendrix Experience, I remember Noel Redding saying it was like being in a dungeon.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)