ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Bank Atlantic Center, Sunrise, FL - March 12, 2006
© Mike Bush with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Springsteen to release new album of folk covers? (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
1st March 2006 11:59 PM
glencar
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
[quote]glencar wrote:
I like seeing him dig himself a larger hole whilst attacking other people's intelligence.

I don't think I ever attack other peoples intelligence. The only people who do this are insecure about their own or are very immature being as it is un-called for just because someone has a different view...hint-hint-hint

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]

I love when you hint. It's so sexy...and dumb!
2nd March 2006 04:01 PM
GimmeExile

SPRINGSTEEN'S SEEGER SESSIONS NOW OFFICIAL
We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions due on 4/25; "short tour" to coincide

Mere days after the release of Springsteen's latest live CD, Hammersmith Odeon London '75, we have official word of his next studio album, less than two months away. Like Devils & Dust, it's another DualDisc. Unlike Devils & Dust -- or any other album in his catalog -- it does indeed consist entirely of covers. From today's press release:

Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen's twenty-first album, We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions, on April 25. The album features Bruce's personal interpretations of thirteen traditional songs, all of them associated with the legendary guiding light of American folk music, Pete Seeger, for whom the album is named. Speaking of the origins of the new music, Springsteen said, "So much of my writing, particularly when I write acoustically, comes straight out of the folk tradition. Making this album was creatively liberating because I have a love of all those different roots sounds... they can conjure up a world with just a few notes and a few words."

Springsteen recorded the album with a large ensemble. The musicians on the record are Springsteen (guitar, harmonica, B3 organ and percussion), Sam Bardfeld (violin), Art Baron (tuba) Frank Bruno (guitar), Jeremy Chatzy (upright bass), Mark Clifford (banjo), Larry Eagle (drums and percussion), Charles Giordano (B3 organ, piano and accordion), Ed Manion (saxophone), Mark Pender (trumpet), Richie "La Bamba" Rosenberg (trombone) and Soozie Tyrell (violin). Lisa Lowell, Patti Scialfa, Springsteen, Pender, Tyrell, and Rosenberg contribute backing vocals.

We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions will be released in DualDisc format, with the full album on one side of the disc and DVD content on the other side. The 30 minute video side of the DualDisc contains extensive behind the scenes footage of the recording of the album. In addition, the DualDisc package will contain two bonus tracks and a special booklet including a note from Springsteen.

Springsteen is planning a short tour in the U.S. and Europe to accompany the release of the album. He will be appearing with most of the musicians who appeared on the CD. Details will be announced separately.

According to Springsteen's longtime manager Jon Landau, "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions has a lightness and ease to it, a sheer joyfulness, that makes it very special from top to bottom. Bruce has taken a core group of classic American songs and transformed them into a high energy, modern and very personal statement."

Tracks
1. Old Dan Tucker
2. Jessie James
3. Mrs. McGrath
4. Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep
5. John Henry
6. Erie Canal
7. Jacob's Ladder
8. My Oklahoma Home
9. Eyes On The Prize
10. Shenandoah
11. Pay Me My Money Down
12. We Shall Overcome
13. Froggie Went A-Courtin'

Bonus Tracks
Buffalo Gals
How Can I Keep From Singing

The Band
Back row L-R: Sam Bardfeld, Jeremy Chatzky, Lisa Lowell, Frank Bruno, Soozie Tyrell, Mark Pender, Charles Giordano, Ed Manion, Larry Eagle
Front row L-R: Mark Clifford, Patti Scialfa, Bruce Springsteen, Richie "LaBamba" Rosenberg
(Photo by Danny Clinch; click to see a larger image).

2nd March 2006 04:05 PM
nanatod Where's Seeger's best song, Guatanamara?
And where's Max Weinberg on the record?
Bruce Springsteen has forgotten how to rock. Leave the Seeger covers to Bono.

Soozie Tyrell used to have her own cowpunk band and she used to be in Johansen's Poindexter band.
Except for Patti and LaBamba I have no idea who the others are.

[Edited by nanatod]
[Edited by nanatod]
2nd March 2006 05:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Bruce Springsteen has forgotten how to rock.

LOL...yeah and Keith Richards has forgotten how to drink!

Thanks for the info, GimmeExile. Good to see we're getting shows in Europe. Although, like 1999 and 2003, its going to coincide with a Stones tour...Grrr

Front cover reminds me a bit of The Basement Tapes!
[Edited by Gazza]
2nd March 2006 05:21 PM
Gazza >Frank Bruno (guitar)

Ehhh? Not THIS Frank Bruno, surely?

[Edited by Gazza]
2nd March 2006 05:28 PM
nanatod I just googled Giordano. The first item up led me to the fact that he is?/was? Pat Benatar's keyboard player.
What has Bruce done here? Gary, I stand by my prior statement about Springsteen forgetting how to rock. Everything starts with the rhythm section. Just ask Charlie Watts.
2nd March 2006 05:38 PM
Gazza you saw his 2003 E-Street band tour by any chance??

Some artists are diverse enough to present different types of shows without 'forgetting' how to do one of them after a sabbatical

Steve Earle and Neil Young manage to do it OK

2nd March 2006 05:42 PM
nanatod
quote:
Gazza wrote:
you saw his 2003 E-Street band tour by any chance??

Some artists are diverse enough to present different types of shows without 'forgetting' how to do one of them after a sabbatical

Steve Earle and Neil Young manage to do it OK

I only saw him during the Tunnel of Love tour.
Earle is Earle whether he's playing with the Dukes, the V-Roys or Del McCoury (I've seen all three permutations). Earle just overwhelms whoever he's with.

Neil Young is in a different league altogether. Bruce does one thing [well]; Neil does many different things.
2nd March 2006 05:55 PM
Gazza Forgot to mention that he toured with the E-Street Band as recently as October 2004. Still sounded good to me.

The solo tour was terrific. Whilst I'd always prefer an E Street Band show to any show by any band on the planet, I was stunned by how great that most recent tour was. Never thought it would be possible to hear such a diversely brilliant show from a solo act. You should have checked it out.

Problem with doing an E Street Band tour these days is that two of his band - Weinberg and Van Zandt - have TV commitments and often scheduling any extended live work has to be arranged around that.

This new project just seems like a brief side diversion. I'd expect some more E Street Band studio activity soon afterwards. From what I've heard thats in the offing.

2nd March 2006 06:00 PM
nanatod Gazza, I'm just not really into Springsteen, the way I am into the Stones, Pixies, Clash, BAD, Deep Purple, Dylan, Neil Young, Allmans, Doobies, Los Lobos, Cowboy Mouth, Asleep at the Wheel, Soul Asylum, the Roots, and even the Black Crowes.

He just falls into some middle category, where I don't mind him, but his music is not my bag.

I don't hate him the way I can't stand U2, McCartney, Dire Straits and Eric Clapton(but not Jack Bruce).
3rd March 2006 09:14 AM
rasputin56
quote:
nanatod wrote:

Neil Young is in a different league altogether. Bruce does one thing [well]; Neil does many different things.

Now that's just plain ridiculous. As Bruce showed on his last tour, and I saw him 3 times on it, he was able to take many of his old songs and make them new again. Styles, tempos, presentations were changed. He played no less than 6 different instruments himself on this tour and he played them well.

I was not particularly thrilled at the idea of this Seeger thing but the more I think about the better I feel about and that it could be downright good. I think this tour could turn into a hootenany which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
3rd March 2006 09:43 AM
Gazza which 3 shows were you at?

Unfortunately, Dublin was the only one I was able to get tickets for (and even those were a nightmare to get)
3rd March 2006 10:30 AM
rasputin56 All 3 Boston shows.
8th March 2006 05:25 PM
Gazza THE SEEGER SESSIONS: A FIRST LISTEN & LOOK

Bruce on hand for March 7 preview at BB King's

It's a party, folks. Played with traditional instruments like banjo and fiddle, the sounds on Bruce Springsteen's upcoming Columbia Records release, We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions, conjur images of an old-fashioned hootenanny. Sound-wise, think more along the lines of The Band and the collaboration between Wilco and Billy Bragg for the two volumes of Woody Guthrie compositions rather than Springsteen's contribution for the covers of Seeger songs in 1998. At a March 7 advance listening party for the album, Springsteen said the songs are equal parts "street corner, parlor, church, and gutter."

Along with Patti Scialfa, Jon Landau and Sony chief Don Ienner, Springsteen was on hand in New York City to preview the record on Tuesday night. Following five songs from the album and several from the DualDisc, Springsteen remarked that folk music was a way for people to "look forward." At the same time, he said the raucous sessions -- recorded live in his New Jersey farmhouse -- reminded him of the eclectic sounds of his early career. Springsteen said he initially met members of the ensemble when he hired them to play at a party at his home; the DualDisc footage, directed by Thom Zimny, suggests that the sessions carried that vibe nicely.

The songs played on Tuesday night, including "Jacob's Ladder," "Pay Me My Money Down," "Old Dan Tucker," and "Mary Don't You Weep," sounded upbeat and energetic; even "We Shall Overcome" seemed to have a little more kick to it than his downcast version included on 1998's Where Have All the Flowers Gone?

The kickoff for the April 25 release, held at Lucille's Grille inside B.B. King's in midtown Manhattan, had an equally loose feel. When the audio failed during the first song, Springsteen moved through the crowd to the stage, then joked that it was worth the trip from New Jersey to see Don Ienner trying to fix the audio -- "Do I record for one of the biggest record companies in the world or what?" -- and invited his guests to make themselves at home at the bar.

The audio for the second half was much better, and in stereo, and gave a glimpse of what his upcoming tour might look and sound like. Some may be expecting a sparse record of four-minute songs, but the mood conveyed by the DualDisc is that of a regular house party, with Bruce really letting the band stretch out and play. One attendee asked Springsteen afterward, "I would never bring my 2 year old to a D&D show. Can I bring her to this?" Bruce replied, "Oh yeah, bring the whole family for this. It's going to be a good time!"

www.backstreets.com
8th March 2006 08:38 PM
rasputin56 HA! Hootenany!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)