ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Woody and Fiends
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London - March 13, 2005
Courtesy of Dave M. Bennett/Getty Images with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cooder's 'Ravine' Finally Comes to Light Return to archive
March 8th, 2005 07:41 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Cooder's 'Ravine' Finally Comes to Light
By Barry A. Jeckell

NEW YORK (Billboard) - More than a year and a half after first revealing plans for the project to Billboard, Ry Cooder's musical portrait of a lost Los Angeles Mexican neighborhood will see release in late spring.

Across the 15 tracks of "Chavez Ravine," the artist brings back to life the hillside community that was destroyed by developers in the 1950s and since 1962 has been home to Dodger Stadium.

"It's a story/concept record about Chavez Ravine," Cooder told Billboard in November 2003, "our L.A. classic Hispanic Pachuco tale of woe, corruption, politics, the Red Scare, the little and the big, neighborhood vs. corporate, all rolled into one."

The songs on "Chavez Ravine," due June 7 on his own Perro Verde Records imprint, released through Nonesuch, are sung in Spanish and English. Helping Cooder weave the pastiche of conjunto, corrido, R&B, Latin pop and jazz are Chicano music great Lalo Guerrero, late Pachuco legend Don Tosti, singer Little Willie G. (Thee Midniters), Ersi Arvizu (The Sisters) and veteran East L.A. band El Chicano.

"I think we did a pretty good job at using this music to demonstrate a lot of things about daily life and good ways, Cooder said. "I got very lucky here. Willie G. turned out to be a monster, masterful songwriter. It's good to hear from these folks again."

Although Cooder originally had hoped a book would accompany the CD, at present there are no plans to release that aspect of the project.

Reuters/Billboard
March 8th, 2005 08:11 PM
kath i like ry and lot. his "chicken skin music" was one of my favorite albums....
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood