ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Woody and Fiends
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London - March 13, 2005
Courtesy of Dave M. Bennett/Getty Images with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tonight's the Night (nsc) Return to archive
March 6th, 2005 03:42 PM
Child of the Moon Thought I'd start a thread for SS's cause.

So, what does everyone here think of Neil Young's Tonight's the Night album?

Developing...
March 7th, 2005 11:29 AM
Sir Stonesalot Good try dude.

I appreciate the effort.

I fear TTN is not for the unwashed masses. It is only for the intrepid few who dare to sink that far down in the hole. Not many can muster the courage to stare this album down.

My thought is this. Tonight's The Night is monumental. And I mean that literally. It is a 10 ton granite monument, simply carved, with perfect epitaths sandblasted into the unpolished rock.

IMO, it is one of the best albums in Neil's catalogue, and one of the greatest albums of the 70's. I'm quite sure I'm in a very small minority with this opinion though.
March 7th, 2005 11:33 AM
Gazza Tonight's The Night is the greatest album Neil ever made and one of the finest albums of the '70's by anyone.

Not an album I'd use to introduce Neil to the unsuspecting masses, though
March 7th, 2005 12:06 PM
sirmoonie I'd agree that TTN is one of the best albums of the 70s. I think Rust Never Sleeps is his best, though.

I'm in the middle of reading Shakey, his recent biography. A must read for Young fans. One driven sumbitch is Neil.
March 7th, 2005 12:13 PM
Sir Stonesalot Fuck off Joey.

Go hijack your ass, you limp dicked little pissant.

Unless you have something pertinent to add to the topic of Neil Young's "Tonight's The Night" album....git.
March 7th, 2005 12:20 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Tonight's The Night is the greatest album Neil ever made and one of the finest albums of the '70's by anyone. "

!!!!!!!!!!

BETTER THAN THE WHO BY NUMBERS?
March 7th, 2005 12:21 PM
Lazy Bones

A beauty! My #2 artist of all time.

"I'm climbin' this ladder, my head in the clouds, I hope that it matters, I'm havin' my doubts."

A line that, for me, has always summed up TTN. An album that's darkness is reflective of death in Neil's life. More specifically, the overdose deaths of Danny Whitten and Bruce Berry. One of the "Ditch Trilogy" albums (along w/ Times Fades Away & On The Beach). For those that don't know, Times Fades Away remains the only 'trilogy' album not released on CD. (and the plug...) There is a petition, however, for it's release -

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/release-time-fades-away

Tonight's The Night, however, isn't my favourite Neil album. That title goes to ON THE BEACH. Recorded after TTN, but released before.

March 7th, 2005 12:28 PM
Sir Stonesalot It should also be noted here that Neil was in one of his more chemical addled periods during this time. And the music made quite obviously shows that.

It's beautiful in it's ugliness.
March 7th, 2005 04:43 PM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Fuck off Joey.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 8th, 2005 02:51 AM
Prodigal Son I agree. It kicks ass. It's just so real in a music year where slick shit like John Denver ruled. Neil put himself into a dark place to get the dread he displayed so well in 1973-74; staying up late, smoking weed (later some cocaine with Crazy Horse came into the picture, but never ever heroin), drinking "tequila and hamburgers, that was the input," so Neil put it. Time Fades Away is a harrowing live disc with lots of unreleased songs on it so I want it on CD too. "Don't Be Denied" is, apparently, essential listening. In my top 5 all-time 70s albums with Exile, Born to Run, Blood on the Tracks and Sticky Fingers.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood