ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Woody and Fiends
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London - March 13, 2005
Courtesy of Dave M. Bennett/Getty Images with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bo Diddley in Macon Return to archive
March 5th, 2005 09:31 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
Who do you love?

Guitar legend Bo Diddley coming to Music Hall of Fame

By Maggie Large
Macon Telegraph Staff Writer

Fifty years after he first rocked the charts with his trademark beat, Bo Diddley is set to show Middle Georgia how it's done March 10.

He's one of several rock all-stars called on to celebrate the latest exhibit at the Georgia Music Hall of Fame, That Great Gretsch Sound.

The Pooler-based instrument company sponsored the exhibit and invited some of its favorite players, including Diddley, Randy Bachman of Bachman-Turner Overdrive and drummer Vinnie Colaiuta, for a gala bash. Keyboard great Chuck Leavell is scheduled to round out the group, and there are rumors of an appearance by a certain long-bearded, sharp-dressed Texan.

It's the first Macon date in years for Diddley, known for his slithery beats and bluesy guitar style in hits such as "I'm a Man" and "Who Do You Love."

"Oh, I've been there many times, but probably longer ago than you were born," Diddley teased during a phone interview from his Gainesville, Fla., home.

Gretsch has been making Diddley's signature rectangular guitar for years. He said he didn't have enough time to explain why he wanted it made that way.

"That guitar is like a showpiece," Diddley said. "It also promotes staring. People are like, wow, what is that?"

He's looking forward to performing, but back trouble will keep him from doing his wild man routine.

"I used to jump around on stage a lot. I don't do that anymore. I sit down and play," Diddley said. "I tell people I'm just as dangerous sitting down as I was standing."

For the Macon show, he's going to do "a couple of the things I'm known for.

"I intend to make everybody nuts," Diddley said. "I'm going to show everybody what Grandpa do."

At 76, Diddley can say just about anything he pleases. During the interview, he talked about his "wife problems" and weighed in against the current rap scene.

"We built up a certain standard of morals, and these guys are tearing it down," he said.

He thinks a lot of today's rap artists are good musicians, but he wouldn't want his grandkids listening to them.

"It hurts me. To me, it's not cute," Diddley said. "And it's not because I feel like I might be old-fashioned."

He understands the desire to do well commercially.

"I'm for making money," Diddley said. "You're a short time here and a long time gone."

Diddley's also aware of the long shadow he casts over the world of rock 'n' roll, with artists from the Rolling Stones to the Clash, George Thorogood and the White Stripes carrying on his stripped-down style.

"Well, we've all got to move on, and somebody gotta step in your footsteps," he said.

Joseph Johnson, curator of music and popular culture at the Georgia Music Hall of Fame, said Gretsch has been a sponsor of the museum over the past 10 years. He estimated that the company has donated more than $250,000 plus a number of artifacts.

"In the new exhibit, you easily have over $100,000 worth of instruments. That's the kind of support I'm talking about," Johnson said.

Johnson said the event wouldn't just draw Maconites but also music industry bigwigs, such as the director of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame and the head of Fender Guitars.

"Mr. Gretsch loves what we're doing. It's really a wonderful, synergistic relationship," Johnson said.

Billy Murphy, a spokesman for Gretsch, said the company has a long-standing relationship with the music museum. The company sponsored the hall of fame's exhibit now on display at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

"We're actually looking into the future about events we can do nationally with the music hall," Murphy said.

March 6th, 2005 01:09 AM
Make It Funky Thanks for the info. Im surprised no one has responded.
Any Georgians going?? If not, why not!?!?!?!?

Cheers
March 6th, 2005 05:41 PM
polksalad69 saw him a few years back. not good at all.
March 6th, 2005 10:25 PM
Make It Funky Really? I thought he would've been great. Of all the old footage I've seen of him.. (circa seventies to nineties) he seems about the ONLY stable one in that genre. His performances always seemed legitimate and professional. hm...

How about Tony Joe White? Ever seen him? (noticing your handle) haha

Cheers!
March 7th, 2005 11:42 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Really? I thought he would've been great. Of all the old footage I've seen of him.. (circa seventies to nineties) he seems about the ONLY stable one in that genre. His performances always seemed legitimate and professional. hm...

How about Tony Joe White? Ever seen him? (noticing your handle) haha

Cheers!

Have never seen Tony Joe White. Came upon that song through Sleepy LaBeef who also covered a few other Tony Joe tunes.

As for Bo, he was sick that night but he just didn't have it. All kinds of effects on his guitar too. Weird old dude.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood