ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Woody and Fiends
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London - March 13, 2005
Courtesy of Dave M. Bennett/Getty Images with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: brian jones film? Return to archive
March 4th, 2005 07:19 AM
oscar anybody know the title of this recent film about brians death? whats the film like ? good or bad? not much seems said about it on this board. also in uk is it on cinema or video release? i guess gazza will know !
March 4th, 2005 07:42 AM
Gazza Its not out yet, which is why not much has been said about it - I think it's scheduled for release this summer

There was an article about it in a recent edition of Uncut

The film is called "The Wyld & Wicked World of Brian Jones"
[Edited by Gazza]
March 4th, 2005 11:55 AM
oscar thanx for throwing some light on that for me gazza.
March 4th, 2005 04:54 PM
Back Street Girl http://www.brianjonesfc.com/

http://www.brianjonesfanclub.com/main_page/opening_page.htm
March 5th, 2005 06:52 AM
HellsRollingThunder Another interesting movie would be about Mick and Keith,
that would be even MORE wild and wicked.
March 5th, 2005 07:03 AM
Irresistible-Lady Yeah sounds fun!
March 5th, 2005 10:57 PM
exile I think MOJO magazine (at least in Australia) have a cover story on "WHO KILLED BRIAN JONES" with pic of Mick keith and briai on front

inside it also talks about this movie.

I would like to proved wrong but Im not too excited about this movie. Are they using actual stones music in the film does anyone know?

Why dont they make a movie about the making of "Exile on Main Street" that would be a good movie I think and it goes up to the 1972 tour of america.

March 5th, 2005 11:16 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
exile wrote:
Are they using actual stones music in the film does anyone know?

Not a single note.... thanks Allen Klein
March 6th, 2005 05:21 AM
exile Then how is this movie going to possibly work without any stones music at all?

sort of defeats the purpose
March 6th, 2005 08:02 AM
stewed & Keefed http://www.stonesplanet.com/

Wild And Wycked – The World Of Brian Jones
The film - or at least the 20 first minutes of the film were shown yesterday at the Film Festival in Berlin.

It shows from the first 20 min. about the life in the 60's - with drugs, naked girls, big parties (orgies) and wild and ruff music. Leo Gregory is playing Brian Jones, and the Swedish Tyva Novotny is the girl who is a friend of Anna Wohlin. The film is valuable, and specially the part of it when Jagger kick Brian Jones out of the band with the words: "you're out, cock!"

The film will be shown first time in full lenght at Cannes Film Festival in May, where Charlotte will attend.

March 6th, 2005 04:52 PM
DJAsh Justice for Brian ?

Maybe, after all this time.....
March 6th, 2005 05:58 PM
Gazza
quote:
exile wrote:
I think MOJO magazine (at least in Australia) have a cover story on "WHO KILLED BRIAN JONES" with pic of Mick keith and brian on front

inside it also talks about this movie.

that was UNCUT, Exile. February 2005 issue.

quote:

Why dont they make a movie about the making of "Exile on Main Street" that would be a good movie I think and it goes up to the 1972 tour of america.

who would go and watch it? defeats the purpose. Brian Jones' death makes for an interesting story for a film, even for people who aren't big Stones fans. I can't see how you could re-enact a story of a band making an album that would make it remotely interesting to a sizeable number of people.
March 6th, 2005 08:01 PM
gypsy I predict this will be another straight-to-video film.
March 7th, 2005 06:01 AM
Zack
quote:
exile wrote:
Then how is this movie going to possibly work without any stones music at all?

sort of defeats the purpose

Since most of the whole first couple of albums were mostly covers, there's plenty to choose from up through say 65. Then I suppose they can get some hack to make up something that Brian supposedly composed but was rejected by Mick and Keith. Shots of him messing around on the mellotron or something. Still, it'll get a bit sticky at the end. As I've said before, this movie will likely suck.
March 7th, 2005 08:11 AM
exile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
who would go and watch it? defeats the purpose. Brian Jones' death makes for an interesting story for a film, even for people who aren't big Stones fans. I can't see how you could re-enact a story of a band making an album that would make it remotely interesting to a sizeable number of people.

Yes actually your right I agree,

I guess they are going with the Mick and Keith Killed Brain thing?

Do the actors look like the stones at all?
March 7th, 2005 08:22 AM
Gazza regarding the "who killed Brian" thing - as far as I know it's the Frank Thorogood story.

as he's dead, he's not really in a position to sue

I think if they were to even insinuate the "Mick & Keef done it" loony conspiracy theory that no one with more than two brain cells would take seriously, they'd have a hell of a job covering their legal costs!

Do the actors look like the Stones? Well, a bit, I guess from the pics I've seen. A lot of wigs and the appropriate clothes help matters I guess! Its a bit hard to watch a biopic of someone whose image you're more than familiar with because as a fan the people they are portraying are much larger than life. Once in a while the look is so well done that they get away with it (Val Kilmer in "The Doors", Denzel Washington in "Malcolm X"). I can't imagine this being one of the rare exceptions...!
[Edited by Gazza]
March 7th, 2005 01:38 PM
stewed & Keefed I have posted this before on the Brian thread.

Interesting comment from Brian Jones: like a rolling stone message board.
http://www.voy.com/30551/

My Money's on Keylock

The central figure in this awful tragedy, other than Brian himself, of course, keeps coming back to one man -Tom Keylock - present at Cotchford that night, although he never admitted so; the disturbing time frames, like getting that mysterious guitar and making the trip back in light-speed, the alleged death bed "confession" from Frank Thoroughgood who conveniently died before anyone else could talk to him; Nicholas Fitzgerald's disutrbing account of being terrorized by Keylock on the night of the murder; Keylock's masterminding of the bonfire burning all of Brian's possessions, or, maybe possible EVIDENCE against him; Keylock's hiring of Thoroughgood, of whom Keith Richards was highly dis-satisfied with on the repairs done at Redlands; only Keylock is present at all of these events.

Now, warp speed to 2004 and add in the factor that Keylock knew that there was nothing on earth he could do at this point to prevent the 10 years of research on Wooley's part that went in to making this movie, he was powerless to block Wooley's acquistion of the $10 million in funding, and he was helpless to prevent James Bond scriptwriters Purvis & Co from coming on board - so WHAT does Mr. Keylock do? Simple - he becomes a "consultant" to "add a touch of authenticity" (quotes mine) but in reality he'll help throw suspicion off himself, nudge the movie plot WAY off the track and once again name Thoroughgood as the murderer - giving more credence to his own alibis.

There's more - Keith Richards once described Brian Jones as "built like a little Welsh bull", assuming of course, that Brian was no push-over; a tough scrappy, fighter when need be. A drunken, smoking, out-of-shape, middle aged man (Thoroughgood) would have a rough time of it trying to overpower Brian; a strong, in-shape ex-marine, (Keylock) - wouldn't.

Most likely Keylock acted on orders from above; most likely he had help subduing Brian. Most likely he's your man.
March 7th, 2005 07:13 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Zack wrote:

As I've said before, this movie will likely suck.

well zack keep an open mind zack -i'm hoping you're wrong

the lack of stones tunes shouldn't mean it will flop

as i've said before much will depend on things such as writing/direction even the cinematography

to me it will hit or miss depending on how they illustrate the the politics of the band esp. the balance of power between mick,keith,brian and andrew

as long as they try to be "true" to the story and don't turn it into a hagiography for brian - that is let's hope it's "warts and all"
March 8th, 2005 05:29 AM
Zack I hope I'm wrong too! I don't want it to suck. In fact I usually like rock biopics (The Doors, Backbeat) but I just have a funny feeling about this one. Anyone ever see "John and Yoko: A Love Story"? Now THAT really sucked.
March 8th, 2005 06:45 AM
Doxa Hey, what does mean that can not use Stones music? Does that mean that they can not use actual Stones recordings or any Jagger/Richards, Nanker/Phelge etc. composed music, no matter who performs it? Does Klein own the rights to the Decca era compositions (like Jackson/Sony to some Lennon/McCartney material) or "just" to actual recordings?

(I mean it would be interesting to have a scene of Brian creating the Ruby Tuesday melody line by a flute and then handing the idea to Richards who makes the lyrics, and then seeing Brian's reflection after realizing that the actual record is credited to "Jagger/Richard"... Or Mick and Keith presenting to the other members a new song as a potential a-side of single; a song which lyrical content is actually 'borrowed' from the Staple Singers's "This May Be the Last Time" and mixed to a Bo Diddley scheme; the result does not really work until Brian comes with the idea of a guitar riff (that he actually did a month earlier while recording "Oh Mercy")...There could many scenes like that creating the tension in the band to make the movie a bit more interesting and dramatic to the end)

- Doxa
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood