ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Woody and Fiends
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London - March 13, 2005
Courtesy of Dave M. Bennett/Getty Images with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Springsteen album to be released as "Dual Disc" (NSC) Return to archive
March 2nd, 2005 09:36 PM
Gazza from www.backstreets.com

Album release to include film footage, surround sound
When Bruce's new album is released on April 26, it will be his first in the two-sided Dual Disc format, which combines both CD and DVD content on the same disc. One side will be standard audio -- a CD of the full album (for track listing, see below). On the flipside will be DVD content, including both audio and video. How's this for a B-side: the DVD portion will include the entire album in 5.1 channel surround sound and in 2-channel stereo, as well as a special Devils & Dust film by Danny Clinch, capturing Springsteen at work. Clinch, whose work with Bruce has included The Rising album cover as well as the "Countin' on a Miracle" video, filmed acoustic performances of five songs to be included here: "Devils & Dust," "Long Time Comin'," "Reno," "All I'm Thinkin' About," and "Matamoras Banks."

According to Columbia promotional material, there will be two different packages for Devils & Dust, similar to the release of The Rising: a standard edition (#CN93900, $18.98 list), and a special edition (#CN94253, $24.98 list). Both will contain the Dual Disc; the packaging looks to be the only difference. The special edition is described as "a deluxe accordion-style package with bonus photographs and unique, song-specific elements for each of the CD's 12 tracks.” We can also now confirm that both packages will feature the "Parental Advisory: Explicit Content" label, a first for Bruce. (The advisory sticker is apparently unrelated to previous rumours of a controversial "missing" 13th track. According to one source close to the project, "There was never any discussion with the record label about Bruce changing anything on the new CD. As always, the CD that he handed in is the one that's coming out.")

The preliminary artwork pictured above comes from an official Columbia buyway for the album, with the note that "Cover art is not final." Whether or not this is the actual album cover, it's our first glimpse at the design direction for D&D, with a typeface very familiar from a little album we like to call Nebraska. Bless you, Franklin Gothic Extra Condensed, it's been a long time...
- March 2, 2005

++++++++++++++

ROLLING STONE PREVIEWS DEVILS & DUST
On the cover of the Rolling Stone... you'll find Springsteen's name there this month (RS 969), as part of their "New CD Preview." Brian Hiatt writes that Devils & Dust is "raw" and "rootsy," quoting a source close to the artist: "This is not exactly like any prior Bruce release... It's neither an E Street Band album nor an acoustic album. A good half of it really rocks." The source goes on to describe the title track as "an overview song, in the tradition of 'Badlands' and 'Born in the U.S.A.'" Hiatt also notes that, in addition to the trio of Springsteen, Brendan O'Brien, and Steve Jordan, musicians include Soozie Tyrell (violin) and a full string section.
- March 2, 2005

March 3rd, 2005 05:18 PM
Night Clerk Also, look for a spring tour to support the CD. It will start out as Bruce solo and advance into an E Street tour. US and a few dates in Europe.
March 3rd, 2005 09:37 PM
gotdablouse A nice way to beat p2p I guess - I hope it's more musical than "The Rising" thought...
March 4th, 2005 01:41 AM
exile ....- fart -....... who cares,

springsteen sucks
March 4th, 2005 10:21 AM
glencar It's nice to see something extra being given with the regular CD purchase.
March 4th, 2005 10:45 AM
69 Chevy
quote:
exile wrote:
....- fart -....... who cares,

springsteen sucks

I do! 30 years into the game he still puts out quality music, his live shows are legendary, and ticket prices are reasonable.
March 4th, 2005 11:37 AM
Gazza Amen

"69 Chevy"..I'd never have guessed you were a Brooce fan with a name like that
March 4th, 2005 12:04 PM
Lavendar I am PSYCHED. With all these NEW Tunes coming WE ARE DEFINITELY GOING TO BE ROCKIN THIS SUMMER "05" StONES, Bruce, The Who, there GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAT!
March 4th, 2005 03:59 PM
69 Chevy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Amen

"69 Chevy"..I'd never have guessed you were a Brooce fan with a name like that

First message board I ever joined was for Springsteen, so I stuck with the screen name. I also have a 69 Chevy. When you are born in NJ you have to like Bruce, it's the law!
March 4th, 2005 06:54 PM
Gazza Funny thing is, most people I know from there aren't crazy about him (but there's no accounting for taste!)

An E-Street Band show (or three) in NJ is the one musical mecca-like experience that I do feel obliged to experience at some point in my life. I definitely would have been over for the 2003 shows had I not already booked to see ten Stones shows in the UK at around the same time.

Springsteen is the only act I'd still go to see in a stadium without any hesitation. I'm not that fussed on Stones mega-gigs anymore. I only intend seeing a few arena or theatre shows next tour - ideally, mostly theatres.

By the way, what was the Springsteen message board? Greasy Lake?
[Edited by Gazza]
March 4th, 2005 07:06 PM
Lavendar Gazza wrote; "I'm not that fussed on Stones mega-gigs anymore" Yada, Yada Yeah Rite LOL- so you talk now- Wait til they show! LOL
March 4th, 2005 07:36 PM
Gazza £150 to watch a greatest hits show on a video screen? No, I don't think so.

If they play the new Wembley Stadium, I'd do that one for the occasion, but after seeing 10 arena or theatre shows on the last tour I'm not travelling any distance to see stadium shows anymore. They've done it to death and I'm simply not interested in seeing them play a 'hits' show for the millionth time at inflated prices. I'm bored with that and if I'm going to see a few shows on this tour, considering the amount of flying I have to do to get to the fucking gigs, I'm going to be more selective about the sort of shows I'll go to.

I only did stadiums on previous tours because it was the Stones and there was never really any alternative type of venue to see them in. Given the choice, I'd personally prefer never to see a concert in a stadium or field again by anyone. They're awful places to watch and hear concerts in.
March 4th, 2005 07:46 PM
Mel Belli Gazza, I agree. I saw one of Bruce's stadium shows during the 10- or 11-night stand at Giants Stadium. Phenomenal. The thing that makes his stadium shows worth seeing is that he treats them like arena shows. His setlists aren't so straitjacketed.

Even more important, Bruce fans - or a larger proportion of them, relative to Stones fans - seem more open to Bruce's entire catalogue, not just the "hits," which he has few of, technically speaking.
March 4th, 2005 08:49 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Even more important, Bruce fans - or a larger proportion of them, relative to Stones fans - seem more open to Bruce's entire catalogue, not just the "hits," which he has few of, technically speaking.

Well, Bruce still have hits with his new albums. The Rising reached #1 in the U.S and the song #50 or so. The Stones' last U.S. #1 album was 24 years ago (!!!!) and the last Top 50 single on 1990.
March 4th, 2005 10:34 PM
Gazza yeah but the Stones would barely dare to PLAY songs from an album like "Emotional Rescue" unless it was in a club, even though its a fair bet that many of their fans would own the album, going by it's sales.

I'd go further than what Mel says and argue that some of Bruce's setlists in stadium shows (particularly the multi-night runs as in the final leg of his last US tour) would be as adventurous as that of a Stones club show (which did feature many off the wall selections but which didnt generally vary too much from one club show to another), let alone an arena show.

Some of the setlists featured really off the wall stuff, even as opening songs, be it relatively obscure b-sides, one-off covers or even (as in the case of the last night of the Giants Stadium run) opening with a 20 year old outtake ("Cynthia") which had never previously been performed in concert before (I've a recording of it, and the crowd are singin' along with it as if it was "Born In the USA"!!) . Really jawdropping stuff for the big fans, plus still lots of well known songs for the 'greatest hits' crowd.

http://www.backstreets.com/setlists2003R.html

Just imagine the Stones opening a stadium show with "Travellin Man" or "Criss Cross Mind" !

[Edited by Gazza]
March 4th, 2005 10:34 PM
Mel Belli True, Soldatti, but overall, Bruce doesn't have many chart hits - no number ones at all, if memory serves. The Stones have eight in the U.S.?...

And there's a pretty long gap between "The Rising" and Bruce's last album success. "Ghost of Tom Joad" was a dud commercially; Neither "Human Touch" nor "Lucky Town" went number one. Bruce generally doesn't release much - six studio albums in the last 20 years, if you count both "HT" and "LT" and the one forthcoming.

None of this is to say that one artist is better than the other. Success is not always commensurate with significance. Otherwise the Eagles would be as great as the Beatles.
March 4th, 2005 10:39 PM
Gazza In the Stones' defence, their setlists were more varied on the Licks tour than ever before - because of the 3 types of show format

A lot of folks complain about rigid setlists but in the last few tours they have become more flexible.

It would be nice to see the "standards" rotated IMO, leaving more room for songs many people (and surely themselves) are less tired of..
March 5th, 2005 02:46 PM
Mel Belli To clarify a previous post, lemme say Bruce didn't have that many chart hits, other than the *seven* Top 10 hits off of "Born in the U.S.A."

...Gazza, I may be wrong, but it seems to me the Stones don't have that many "Cynthias" in the Vault. They've got a lot of fragmentary jams but not that many ready-to-wear tracks, so to speak -- surely not enough to fill a boxed set like Bruce's "Tracks." At least, not that we know of. But hardcore Bruce fans had heard much of "Tracks" already, and he's probably got more in his respective Vault.
March 5th, 2005 03:26 PM
Mel Belli In the Stones' defense part II, the setlists for those early club shows - the Roseland, the Aragon - were the bravest of their career. But the band's interest in expanding setlists always seems to flag as a tour goes on, whereas with Bruce it's just the opposite.
March 5th, 2005 06:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
To clarify a previous post, lemme say Bruce didn't have that many chart hits, other than the *seven* Top 10 hits off of "Born in the U.S.A."

...Gazza, I may be wrong, but it seems to me the Stones don't have that many "Cynthias" in the Vault. They've got a lot of fragmentary jams but not that many ready-to-wear tracks, so to speak -- surely not enough to fill a boxed set like Bruce's "Tracks." At least, not that we know of. But hardcore Bruce fans had heard much of "Tracks" already, and he's probably got more in his respective Vault.

yeah youre right. I personally dont get that excited about any talk of a possible Stones "vaults" boxed set as I dont think the material is there (maybe its a sort of tribute to the Stones in that they have - unlike Dylan and Bruce - chosen their best songs for the official albums)

and yeah, sorry - "Cynthia" was indeed released on "Tracks". I got it mixed up with "Cindy" from a few years before it (the unreleased "Ties that Bind" album) which still hasnt come out officially. He did do "County fair" and "From small things big things come" on that summer tour though, which were at the time still unreleased.

[Edited by Gazza]
March 5th, 2005 07:42 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
Given the choice, I'd personally prefer never to see a concert in a stadium or field again by anyone. They're awful places to watch and hear concerts in.

Same here, unless you're fighting for air in the first rows on the field (Europe only I guess) these stadium shows are pretty pathtic affairs overall after the thrill of the first few minutes has vanished. While "No Security" currently closes the lid on the Stones' studio carreer, there's no denying that I couldn't believe my luck after seeing them play MR 30 feet away from me at the San Jose Arena in 1999!
March 7th, 2005 06:37 PM
69 Chevy I was born in NJ, and had seen Bruce a number of times in Philadelphia in the late 70s and early 80s prior to moving South. Last summer I caught opening night and show 3 of the 10 night stand Springsteen did at Giants Stadium and it was incredible! I always catch multiple shows when both Bruce and the Stones tour and Springsteen does a better job mixing up the setlist and changing arraingements. I also prefer Springsteen's stripped down stage approach.
March 7th, 2005 09:26 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
True, Soldatti, but overall, Bruce doesn't have many chart hits - no number ones at all, if memory serves. The Stones have eight in the U.S.?...

Yes, but Bruce had 6 US #1 albums since 1980.
In the Stones defence III: they started in the '60s and their catalog up to 1981 is hard to match.
March 9th, 2005 12:51 PM
69 Chevy By the way, what was the Springsteen message board? Greasy Lake?
[Edited by Gazza]
[/quote]

His official Sony site. I believe it is Springsteen.net
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood