ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Woody and Fiends
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London - March 13, 2005
Courtesy of Dave M. Bennett/Getty Images with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan on Letterman This Thursday (3/3) (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 27th, 2005 07:27 PM
Gazza According to jambase

http://www.jambase.com/search.asp?bandID=1837

The show's own website doesnt list a musical guest as yet for this Thursday, however

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/show_info/index.shtml

although Dylan's opening act on his upcpming tour, Amos Lee, is scheduled to appear the night before.
February 27th, 2005 07:37 PM
mac_daddy thanks for the info - i will look out for it...

quote:
although Dylan's opening act on his upcpming tour, Amos Lee, is scheduled to appear the night before.

i thought merle haggard is opening next month...
February 27th, 2005 07:57 PM
Gazza all 3 are on the bill
February 27th, 2005 08:11 PM
mac_daddy didnt know that, gazza - thanks again.

is this going to be one of those outside gigs, where he plays 5 or so tunes (even though only one airs)..? if it is, i will alert taping team nyc, and hopefully we can get a nice AUD out of the gig...

March 1st, 2005 08:06 AM
Gazza still no word of whether this appearance is going to happen, but it seems there will be a few new faces in Dylan's new touring line up, including a female violinist (who played in the band that opened the Dylan/Nelson tour last summer) :

http://www.expectingrain.com/dok/who/who.html
March 1st, 2005 10:54 AM
Martha Yeah Elena is touring with Bob and Larry Campbell is gone. Any word on who is replacing him yet? I heard that it is someone who's been with him before.....but don't know who.... yet.

My tape machines are poised for this. I sure hope Bob appears on Dave....thanks for the heads up!

March 1st, 2005 10:55 AM
Gazza see the other names listed to the left of that page. It would indicate two new guitarists
March 1st, 2005 11:17 AM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
see the other names listed to the left of that page. It would indicate two new guitarists

Huh??? 2 more?.......is Stu staying too?

I wonder if Bob is gonna pull out and stun us with any of his new songs at his "All New Show"??????

Give me your best predicition on that my fellow Dylanites!

peace out,
Maaaaaaaaartha!

High Grade and Future Perfect!

March 1st, 2005 11:32 AM
GimmeExile Adding a fiddle player and touring with Merle Haggard? Looks like our Beloved Bob is goin' country...Sign me up!

March 1st, 2005 11:56 AM
wisertime For the moment, Denny Freeman is the only known new member of the Dylan band. It's announced on Freeman's website.
He seems to be a great guitarist, he sounds like a mix of Jimmie and Stevie Ray Vaughan..
I really hope Stu Kimball won't be part of the band anymore, he's so BORING !! Freddie Koella was very good.
March 1st, 2005 12:04 PM
Gazza
quote:
Martha wrote:

Huh??? 2 more?.......is Stu staying too?

I wonder if Bob is gonna pull out and stun us with any of his new songs at his "All New Show"??????

Give me your best predicition on that my fellow Dylanites!

peace out,
Maaaaaaaaartha!

High Grade and Future Perfect!

the impression I got was two new guitarists and a new violinist to replace Larry Campbell and (presumably) Stu Kimball as well.
March 1st, 2005 12:29 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
wisertime wrote:
I really hope Stu Kimball won't be part of the band anymore, he's so BORING !! Freddie Koella was very good.

I had just the opposite reaction to Stu Kimball. I saw him twice on the Bob & Willie summer tour and he added a raunchy, rocking flavor to Dylan's band.

March 1st, 2005 02:25 PM
wisertime ----------------------------------------------------------
I had just the opposite reaction to Stu Kimball. I saw him twice on the Bob & Willie summer tour and he added a raunchy, rocking flavor to Dylan's band.
-----------------------------------------------------------

He's OK but his guitar parts are always the sames, there's a launch of feeling. Listen to songs like "every grain of sand" or "stuck inside of mobile" played with Freddie Koella in 2003 and with Kimball in 2004, Koella's solos are so much better and always different !!
On Dylan's european tour (fall 2003), Koella played really great solos, it was amazing..
March 2nd, 2005 11:08 AM
justinkurian
Bootleg Series 7 announced for August release, and more

Sony/Columbia has reportedly set a release date of August 16, 2005 for the next Bootleg Series release, a 2-CD collection of live and studio tracks from 1961-1966. It's characterized as an "outtake collection" in some of the publicity material, suggesting that well less than the
half the set will be live material, but that's not much to go on. This is the CD release associated with the Scorsese documentary, but is apparently not simply a soundtrack
release. By some reports, this is expected to be the final CBS/Sony project from the time period.

The 4-hour documentary, with its title now apparently set as "No Direction Home," will then be broadcast in two parts
on PBS stations in September. A commercial DVD release will follow, planned for the holiday season. No word on any additional material.

Chronicles 2 will not be released this year (absent drastic changes in publishing schedules). Instead, a project with the working title of "The Bob Dylan Scrapbook" is targeted
for fall release, featuring lyric sheets, manuscript pages, posters, and other ephemera. The trade PB release for Chronicles is now set for October.

It seems likely that the reported Starbucks release of a Gaslight Tapes CD will also come in the fall, also
piggybacking on the Scorsese documentary.

Also expected in the near future are a small barrage of articles and publicity pieces focusing on Dylan's 2005 projects, with the likely first appearance in the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone (Bob Marley cover).

As always, all of these dates/projects are not set in stone.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.music.dylan/browse_thread/thread/04cb8b82dc6682c2/fd17fcd8109917a6#fd17fcd8109917a6
March 2nd, 2005 02:27 PM
glencar Why would Dylan go on Letterman? Is there anything to promote? The set listed above is 5 1/2 months away.
March 2nd, 2005 03:45 PM
justinkurian Pure speculation on my part BUT...Solomon Burke covers a Dylan tune ("What Good Am I?") on his newly released CD. Burke played Letterman on Monday and plays BB King's on Friday (which I have tickets to).

Dylan plays Letterman on Thursday and then jumps onstage unnanounced with Burke the following night to perform "What Good Am I?"

Not likely, but sounds good to me.
March 2nd, 2005 07:33 PM
Phog Freddy Koella got a bad rap on some of the Dylan message boards. Lots of folks thought his playing was "weird". I thought he was pretty fuckin' good myself. I liked Stu Kimball, too.

Larry Campbell was one of Dylan's best sidemen ever, IMHO. It will be tough to replace him, but I'm sure Ol' Bob will be alright.

Now, let's hope this Letterman appearance happens!!
March 2nd, 2005 11:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Why would Dylan go on Letterman? Is there anything to promote? The set listed above is 5 1/2 months away.

last time he played Letterman (Nov 1993) he didnt have anything to promote either. he just came on and played "Forever young". he was in town earlier that week to play the Supper Club shows

The one time he played the show before that (march '84), "Infidels" had been out for almost 5 months. He played with a punk band called The Plugz, did 3 songs - one of them was a cover of "Dont start me talkin'" which the band hadnt even REHEARSED (!!), and two off the new album, both radically different to the released versions (License to Kill and a high octane version of "Jokerman"). It was one of the best TV appearances of his entire career...and he never used that band before or after that appearance!
March 3rd, 2005 08:18 AM
T&A dylan will not be on letterman - the band is in the middle of a week of rehearsals in Seattle...the speculation is that he may appear come April when the band is in NYC...but that rumor always starts up when Bob's in town.
March 3rd, 2005 09:55 AM
Martha
quote:
Phog wrote:
Freddy Koella got a bad rap on some of the Dylan message boards. Lots of folks thought his playing was "weird". I thought he was pretty fuckin' good myself. I liked Stu Kimball, too.

Larry Campbell was one of Dylan's best sidemen ever, IMHO. It will be tough to replace him, but I'm sure Ol' Bob will be alright.

Now, let's hope this Letterman appearance happens!!

I LOVED Freddy. Thought he was awesome. I was sad to see him go.
March 3rd, 2005 11:38 AM
Phog Martha, which shows will you be seeing? It looks like I'm gonna get shut out on this leg. That saddens me.
March 3rd, 2005 05:56 PM
Martha
quote:
Phog wrote:
Martha, which shows will you be seeing? It looks like I'm gonna get shut out on this leg. That saddens me.

Shut out? No.........that ain't right Phog. I couldn't stop myself and have tickets for the first 3 of the 5 nights in Chicago. May end up doing the 5 once I'm up there. It'll be a swinging hot show. All new!

I really hate to hear you can't make any of the new shows. I want to hit MI too (thanks Lazy) ......we'll see what happens.

I have something that came in the mail very recently, I think it may brighten your day........:-) I'll PM you. ;-)

xoo,
Maaaartha
March 4th, 2005 12:04 AM
Sir Stonesalot Well, I'm watchin'. Dan Rather is doin' the blather....and not a single mention of Bob.

I should have been in bed an hour ago. Now I will be all grumpy in the morning. This will cause me to drink heavily before going to work. I will slur my way through a fire dispatch, tell the fire chief that he's a queer(Actually, she's a transexual, and keeps her penis in a jar. True story.), piss in the boss's pencil holder(it's also called a shirt pocket), and punch the lady county commisioner in the snoot.

As they haul my sorry ass off to the pokey I'll be yelling...."Damn you Gazza! This is all your fault!"

Now, I'm off to bed. Thanks for ruining my life Gazza.
March 4th, 2005 04:33 AM
Gazza Uh.... T&A already told ya several hours in advance Bob WOULDN'T be appearing after all.....

I'll see you in court!!!

Know any good lawyers??
March 4th, 2005 10:19 AM
glencar Poppy Montgomery looked fine in the promos for the show but I couldn't stomach Dan Rather. Next week he finally retires.
March 4th, 2005 03:56 PM
Saint Sway I cant believe I sat thru the entire boring show.... and NO Dylan!

I had to prop my eyes open with toothpics during the Rather interview

thanks for nothing
March 4th, 2005 08:02 PM
Gazza Don't be so rude

Why did you sit through it?

Read the first post - it was only a rumour. One website had him as being a guest...Letterman's didnt..

It was also clearly stated above a day in advance by T&A that he definitely WASNT playing the show

as the list of guests on The Late Show are announced over the opening credits, wouldnt his omission be a pretty good indication that uh..he wasnt going to be on it?
[Edited by Gazza]
March 4th, 2005 10:48 PM
Sir Stonesalot It coulda been one of those super suprise appearance things that they just spring on ya. And why would I believe what T&A(no offense intended)says over what the great and genius Gazza says?

Anyhow, my life ain't ruined. Turns out everyone wanted someone to piss in my boss's shirt pocket, was glad someone finally punched the lady commish in the snoot...and the fire chief IS a tranny so I wasn't lying....so instead of getting hauled off to jail, they gave me a promotion, and crowned me Right Lord Righteous Dude.

A good lawyer? That's like a joke...right? Everyone knows lawyers are bad.
March 4th, 2005 11:06 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
he was in town earlier that week to play the Supper Club shows

and those supper club shows are great!

i am hoping for big things on these extened stands...
March 4th, 2005 11:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
It coulda been one of those super suprise appearance things that they just spring on ya. And why would I believe what T&A(no offense intended)says over what the great and genius Gazza says?

T&A gave updated and confirmed info. I didn't. Thanks for the undeserved compliment, but having gone drinking with Mr T&A last summer, I can vouch for him being as good an authority as anyone!

quote:
Anyhow, my life ain't ruined. Turns out everyone wanted someone to piss in my boss's shirt pocket, was glad someone finally punched the lady commish in the snoot...and the fire chief IS a tranny so I wasn't lying....so instead of getting hauled off to jail, they gave me a promotion, and crowned me Right Lord Righteous Dude.

All's well that ends well. You can thank me in New York later in the year.

quote:
A good lawyer? That's like a joke...right?

well spotted. A contradiction in terms. Like "pretty ugly"
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood