ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Woody and Fiends
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London - March 13, 2005
Courtesy of Dave M. Bennett/Getty Images with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: '81-82 Tour Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 12th, 2005 10:46 AM
Nellcote I have rediscovered this tour.
Back in the day, I was not able to get to a gig
so I gave this tour short shrift.
Looking back, this is the only tour since '72 which I missed out on, despite the fact they rehearsed in Brookfield, MA, and played a surprise gig in Woostah, MA.
I did get the ppv of Hampton, that was it.

Over the past six months, thanks to several trees I participated in, as well as the incomparable MRD8, I
have been able to fully realize this was a terrific tour!
Just yesterday, I listened to Seattle Supersonic, and today, For Whom The Bell Tolls, both outstanding.
All of the songs are played terrifically, if not different from gig to gig.
I even dug out my '81 tour poster & hung it in the Fantasy Fufillment Palace which is my office in honor of this tour.

Some tidbits from this tour as I see it...

At some shows, The Stones had 2 Watts playing..

Bill Graham, promoter par excellence, who had invovement with this tour, died 10 years later to the day of the Seattle show 10/25/91 in a helicopter crash..

1st Stones PPV..

Ian McGlagan's 2nd Stones tour..

Last tour with Ian Stewart..

One of the 1st tours by a rock band which carried a major endorsement, Jovan cologne..

Gawd, the Stones have no equal...

February 12th, 2005 10:49 AM
mac_daddy bill g was a snake -even jerry didnt trust him. but he did put on some fantastic gigs over the years...

was there a seattle show on the 25th of october in 1981..?
February 12th, 2005 10:55 AM
Nellcote Macdaddy, I should have checked this betta
10/15/81 was Seattle
10/25/81 was Orlando, Tangerine Bowl
February 12th, 2005 11:06 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Macdaddy, I should have checked this betta
10/15/81 was Seattle
10/25/81 was Orlando, Tangerine Bowl

hey - you know me, i aint being a prick, i am just a stickler for detail

have you heard the newer 9/25 sbd release..? it is a definite upgrade over "for whom the bell tolls" (which was quite sweet in its own right)...
February 12th, 2005 12:02 PM
Nellcote Mac; I've not, while I find some parts of "Bell Tolls" to be better than others..
February 12th, 2005 02:14 PM
Madafaka I've told several times, that was the best tour IMO.
The boys sound raw and powerful!
February 13th, 2005 12:35 AM
Child of the Moon I know what you mean, Nellcote. I used to dislike the stuff from this tour - Mick prancing and barking, terrible outfits, everything played exactly the same...

It wasn't until about a year and a half ago that I realized how much ass those shows seriously kicked. I mean, they were practically punk shows put on in stadiums. The Stones presented the frenetic, charged-up energy from the '78 tour, except this stuff was a lot more focused and consistently better. This was probably also the last time we heard Keith, Ronnie, and Charlie at the top of their game. Ronnie was freebasing like crazy, but he was still playing exceptionally well. Charlie played faster and better than he ever had before, or ever would since (I mean, c'mon, there weren't many 40 year-old guys playing shows that long and drumming their way through all those breakneck-paced songs... but he did it!) And Keith was obviously still playing like he meant it - chainsaw riffing, no bullshit. A lot like his stint with the New Barbarians, except now he didn't have to support Ronnie's drunken ass!

I remember picking up the Hampton show on tape a while ago, and I just sat in awe of how well the guys were playing. As embarrassing as Mick could sometimes act, even he was keeping up with the band. I still have yet to warm up to Ernie Watts's monotonous sax riffs, but hey... we still had Mac and Stu and keyboards! And then there's Keith bashing the bastard on the head with the guitar...

The way I see it, it was the last real Stones tour, before they became "Rolling Stones, Inc."
February 13th, 2005 04:49 AM
padre What's the best show on that tour? I've got Hampton, too and it's dynamite! But are there shows that are even better than that?
February 13th, 2005 09:05 PM
Madafaka Jersey Devils is TERRIFIC!
February 13th, 2005 09:14 PM
Soldatti Keith interview on Rolling Stone (2002)

DAVID FRICKE: Have there been Stones tours that sucked -- where you felt the band was not living up to its abilities or reputation?

Keith: Steels Wheels [1989] was a bit difficult, mainly because we hadn't played together for so long. It was really start-again time, and it was very difficult to pull everything together. Otherwise, I don't think of things in terms of tours -- it's "the next gig." In 1964, '65, '66, we didn't think in terms of touring. You were just on the road. The idea of your own tour, with its own specific image and identity, didn't happen until the 1970s, when you started to design the tour along with the record. The Some Girls tour [1978] was the first one that I saw as an entity unto itself, rather than, "Well, you're just on the road."

DAVID FRICKE: My own personal low point was the 1981 stadium shows: Mick in the lemon-yellow tights, riding the cherry-picker over the crowd.

Keith: You gotta hand it to him -- he'll try anything [laughs]. It was circus time. You're up there, and the place is so enormous. You say, "Let's try everything." And if it don't work, it don't work. The lemon-yellow tights and the cherry-picker were the low point for me too [smiles]. I gotta stand behind him and watch it.

February 14th, 2005 06:18 AM
Zack
quote:
padre wrote:
What's the best show on that tour? I've got Hampton, too and it's dynamite! But are there shows that are even better than that?

I vote for Seattle.
February 14th, 2005 08:35 AM
Lil Brian
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
have you heard the newer 9/25 sbd release..? it is a definite upgrade over "for whom the bell tolls" (which was quite sweet in its own right)...

No shit? A definite upgrade? That's great, and I thought FWTBT sounded good!
February 14th, 2005 08:56 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:

No shit? A definite upgrade? That's great, and I thought FWTBT sounded good!

it did. this one sounds better...

and i vote for seattle 10/15 too - "seattle supersonic"

February 14th, 2005 09:28 AM
Lil Brian Have you heard anything on more Tattoo Boards? I read perhaps late FEB or MAR.
February 14th, 2005 10:55 PM
time is on my side
quote:
i vote for seattle 10/15 too - "seattle supersonic"

Just curious how you would rate JERSEY DEVIL to SEATTLE SUPERSONIC. Jersey Devil, of course, is six disc compared to the two from Seattle Supersonic and includes 9 of the songs from the 10-15-1981 Seattle show but how would you compare the sound??? How were the Jersey shows compared to Seattle???? It seems you prefer Seattle. Would you prefer Seattle Supersonic over Jersey Devil????

February 15th, 2005 05:04 PM
Riffhard
quote:
padre wrote:
What's the best show on that tour? I've got Hampton, too and it's dynamite! But are there shows that are even better than that?

The best show on that tour on boot is debatable. Hampton is up there for sure. As is the Seattle show,but I gotta tell ya the show that I saw at The Fox in Atlanta is legendary! Robert Palmer(the Rolling Stone critic and author) wrote about it at the time as the single greatest Rolling Stones' show he had ever seen. That is really saying something as he had seen the band over one hundred times at that point!

In fact a friend of mine here in Jersey has this rather obscure book about the Stones. The title excapes me right now,but the author devotes three pages to the 1981 Atlanta show alone. This is also rumoured to be the reason that Keith decided to play his first ever solo show at the Fox. I was there too in 1988. Keith did make mention of the fact that the building held many fond memories for him.

In 1989 the Stones played at Grant Feild (Ga. Tech) for the Steel Wheels tour. Mick said,"The last time we were here in Hotlanta we played at the beautiful Fox Theater! If you were at that show then your invited backstage tonight for cake and icecream!" Very funny stuff for sure. Even more funny was when 60+ thousands fans roared that they had been there! LOL! I truly was there and the Fox only holds about 3,200 max so there were quite a few liars at the Grant Field show!

Unfortunatly the only boot of this show from what I have heard is an almost unlistenable audience boot. Too bad! I'd give my right one for a clean copy of this legendary show.

Oh well,the memories still linger.

Riffhard
February 15th, 2005 05:14 PM
Lil Brian Riffhard
Check your PM. ;-)
February 15th, 2005 05:23 PM
glencar Wasn't the cherry picker dumped after the first show? I personally thought it was very funny. It was my first concert & here was my hero looking all goofy.
February 15th, 2005 05:26 PM
stonedinaustralia no matter how good the music may have been - no doubt about it (IMHO) the lemon yellow tights were a HUGE mistake

mick's satorial nadir
February 15th, 2005 05:58 PM
Riffhard Thanks Lil' Brian. Check your PM!

Riffhard
February 15th, 2005 06:09 PM
telecaster Riffy didn't they play the "Fox" on the '78 tour?

I remember photos in "Creem"

Bill Wyman said the most memorable show EVER outside of Altamont for him was Cotton Bowl in 1981. Show #2 there

Poured rain the whole day and whole show. Happened to be Halloween

And I was there

February 15th, 2005 06:10 PM
Madafaka
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
Just curious how you would rate JERSEY DEVIL to SEATTLE SUPERSONIC. Jersey Devil, of course, is six disc compared to the two from Seattle Supersonic and includes 9 of the songs from the 10-15-1981 Seattle show but how would you compare the sound??? How were the Jersey shows compared to Seattle???? It seems you prefer Seattle. Would you prefer Seattle Supersonic over Jersey Devil????

All about music tastes is subjective, but I prefer JD because I love the setlist, the perfomance and the sound quality. That's it!
Empress Valley has best concerts in sound quality... Check it
February 15th, 2005 06:35 PM
Riffhard
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Riffy didn't they play the "Fox" on the '78 tour?

I remember photos in "Creem"

Bill Wyman said the most memorable show EVER outside of Altamont for him was Cotton Bowl in 1981. Show #2 there

Poured rain the whole day and whole show. Happened to be Halloween

And I was there

Yeah Tele. They played The Fox in 1978 as the Cockroaches. Tickets were anounced at 2:30 am two weeks before the show and they still sold out in minutes! Everyone was hip to the ol' Cockroaches trick! LOL! This was the time when the running joke was that only Kieth Richards and the cockroaches would survive a nuclear holocost! The Stones took the joke and ran with it! Those ticket stubs are highly sought after be collecters to this day.

In 1981 the Stones did not even have Atlanta on the tour itinerary. They decided to play The Fox at the last minute and there is no mention of Atlanta on any of the tour merchandise! I still have my Stones' flag tounge shirt from ythe show. No mention of Atlanta. Again tix went on sale way early in the morning and were sold out within five minutes! While I was in line to get into the theater several people offered me up to $600.00 for my ticket. I just looked at them and said,"If your willing to give me six bills there is no way I'm going to miss this show!" Yet they did play at The Fox in '81 and it is still talked about with great reverance and hushed tones from all who attended that spectacular show!

Riffhard
February 15th, 2005 07:07 PM
time is on my side
quote:
hushed tones from all who attended that spectacular show!

For one who attended (it was also the first time I ever saw them live- didn't see them earlier due to a variety of reasons totally beyond my control), let me confirm it was an awe inspiring show. It was in a small place and they just let it loose and rocked (it was all about the music and they let the stage trappings they were using for bigger venues slide into the background). Certainly, the best show I've ever seen the STONES give without any doubt (no subsequent show has come even close). I remember waiting around for what seemed like forever for the STONES to appear on stage until they finally showed up around 11:00 (about the time they are finishing the shows now).

If you ever locate a decent boot of the show, let me know. It would mean a lot to me to be able to listen to this show again.

[Edited by time is on my side]
February 15th, 2005 07:34 PM
Lil Brian TIOMS-
Check PM
February 15th, 2005 07:44 PM
glencar Lil Brian, check yer PM.
February 27th, 2005 02:34 PM
Honky Tonker Saw the 2nd show in Orlando a couple of days before the legendary show at the Fox. It was my first Stones show and Van Halen & the Henry Paul Band opened. Keith and Ronnie each swigged from fifths of Jack Daniels and/or Rebel Yell throughout. Lots of time between songs too. A great day in my life though!!!
February 28th, 2005 09:28 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
Have you heard anything on more Tattoo Boards? I read perhaps late FEB or MAR.

dont know how i missed this post earlier...

where did you hear that..? who makes them..? thanks for any info - curious minds like me want to know
March 1st, 2005 01:33 PM
tumbling dice The 81/82 tour was my first glance with The band live on TV.The Going to a go go video was amazing,Time is on my side too.After that i became a true Die-hard stones fan and Keith became my great idol.
March 1st, 2005 01:33 PM
tumbling dice The 81/82 tour was my first glance with The band live on TV.The Going to a go go video was amazing,Time is on my side too.After that i became a true Die-hard stones fan and Keith became my great idol.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood