ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
BC Stadium, Vancouver, November 25, 2006
© The Province with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: You Guys Forgot Rory Gallagher's Birthday Yesterday! Return to archive
3rd March 2008 11:20 PM
Barney Fife No Rory Gallagher tribute on the Stones board? What's going on - you guys are slipping! The great man would have been 60 yesterday (March 2nd). Word has it that Rory was the Stones' number one choice to replace Mick Taylor.

For you fans of the late, great Mr. Gallagher, Guitar Magazine's new April issue has a nice, big article that attempts to show guitarists what they have to do (in 10 not-so-easy steps) to try to emulate the Irish blues-rock master.

Here are some YouTube videos for your listening and viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bA0srwlvD0

Acoustic magic with an old American folksong:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ujDzsB23E&

Rory plays sax on part of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnmO6AADYAo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k4iocWURPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duPh0BWVgQs
3rd March 2008 11:27 PM
sammy davis jr. Rory was the shit- I copped so many of his slide licks I've lost count. He seemed like a really good guy too-very humble.
3rd March 2008 11:49 PM
Barney Fife I first heard his music in about '73 or '74 but with him not touring to the States a lot never got to see him live. Let's hear some stories from the rest of y'all.
3rd March 2008 11:53 PM
Fiji Joe Fife...check your PM my DBT loving brovine
4th March 2008 12:21 PM
Barney Fife
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Fife...check your PM my DBT loving brovine

Thanks for the tasteful medley, Joe!
4th March 2008 12:41 PM
glencar I don't know much about him besides that he died early. I'll check out the youtubes...
4th March 2008 01:15 PM
Nellcote Fife, good point, however, if you are part of this board, look in the mirror, as you forgot also!
Gallagher was a top shelf player, died way too young...
4th March 2008 01:26 PM
mrhipfl I love his acoustic stuff.

Too much alcohol

Wasn't he considered to replace Jones or Taylor at one point?
4th March 2008 02:12 PM
Gazza Know lots of people who met Rory and without exception every one of them remarked what a genuine and down to earth guy he was. My best mate John (who a few of you have met) likes to remind me how he got backstage at one of Rory's legendary Ulster Hall gigs one time in the 70's and Gallagher not only let him hold his precious Strat but actually allowed him to play it for a few minutes. I dont think he washed his hands for about a week afterwards.

Was never a big fan of his records, but I always respected him for almost single-handedly keeping live rock music alive here during the darkest decade of our history by playing Belfast and other parts of the country year in year out when almost every other band were too shit scared to set foot in the place.

Top bloke. A corner of Temple Bar in Dublin (Just behind the Clarence Hotel) was renamed in his honour a couple of years ago.

[Edited by Gazza]
4th March 2008 09:36 PM
WildBillGrover
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Fife, good point, however, if you are part of this board, look in the mirror, as you forgot also!
Gallagher was a top shelf player, died way too young...

Well, actually I thought about it Sunday, but I was too busy to post that day.

quote:
Gazza wrote:
Know lots of people who met Rory and without exception every one of them remarked what a genuine and down to earth guy he was. My best mate John (who a few of you have met) likes to remind me how he got backstage at one of Rory's legendary Ulster Hall gigs one time in the 70's and Gallagher not only let him hold his precious Strat but actually allowed him to play it for a few minutes. I dont think he washed his hands for about a week afterwards.

Was never a big fan of his records, but I always respected him for almost single-handedly keeping live rock music alive here during the darkest decade of our history by playing Belfast and other parts of the country year in year out when almost every other band were too shit scared to set foot in the place.

Top bloke. A corner of Temple Bar in Dublin (Just behind the Clarence Hotel) was renamed in his honour a couple of years ago.

[Edited by Gazza]

That's exactly the kind of stuff I want to hear about - thanks, Gazzy!

I figured out the other day that on our honeymoon, the wife and I had been within a block or two of the music store in Cork where Rory bought his famous Strat.

--- Wild Bill, aka, Barney Fife, aka, a Peça Rara de Nebraska

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)