ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
BC Stadium, Vancouver, November 25, 2006
© The Province with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: FBI opens investigation on Clemens Return to archive Page: 1 2
28th February 2008 06:31 PM
zooeyglass Do they really mean it? Wow...

One day after two top-ranking Congressional Committee members sent a letter to the Department of Justice asking it to determine if Roger Clemens committed perjury in sworn testimony, the FBI responded Thursday by launching an official investigation.
According an a report by The Associated Press, the FBI is looking into whether Clemens lied to Congress when he denied taking steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs.

Law enforcement officials, according to the report, say the inquiry will focus on whether Clemens or his former personal trainer, Brian McNamee, lied when they testified under oath about the use of steroids.

"We've always expected they would open an investigation. They attended the Congressional hearing. So, what's new?" said Rusty Hardin, Clemens' top lawyer.

Clemens and McNamee appeared before the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on Feb. 13 and gave vastly different accounts about their 10-year working relationship.

McNamee said he injected Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone several times over a three-year period, but Clemens has denied all claims, adamantly insisting that he never abused performance-enhancing drugs.

The nearly five-hour hearing triggered varying responses from the Committee members, with Republicans tending to question McNamee's credibility and Democrats focusing more on Clemens, but the letter sent to the Department of Justice Thursday night included the signatures of the highest-ranking Committee members of both the Democratic and Republican parties: Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) and Tom Davis (R-Va.).

The two Congressmen said in the letter that Clemens "committed perjury and made knowingly false statements during the Oversight and Government Reform Committee's investigation of the use of steroids and performance-enhancing drugs in professional baseball."

Hardin sounded unfazed Wednesday when he learned about the Committee's recommendation that the Dept. of Justice launch an investigation. He also said he was looking forward to the case moving out of the court of public opinion and into a court of law.

"I am delighted to be where there are now going to be some rules," Hardin said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon at his Houston office. "This has been a very frustrating experience for us, because as you all know, in the court of public opinion, there's no rules. Now we're in an arena where the scale's going to be balanced."

Hardin also said his client has always been aware that his denials could result in an investigation.

"He knew every one of the potential legal risks he was running," Hardin said. "He made the decision that he had nothing to fear in the end result, though in the short-term, there would be problems. He knew the short-term problems. This referral is one of them. He knew about it.

"But he is absolutely insistent that he did not take steroids, he did not take human growth hormone, and it would have been hypocritical and in violation of everything he's ever believed in to act as if he did by hunkering down. Rightly or wrongly, he chose not to hunker down, but to come out publicly and defend himself."

28th February 2008 07:07 PM
glencar What a shame. Drugs users are all over the place & tehy're taking more serious stuff than this stuff.
28th February 2008 07:37 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Wonder which hat Clemens'll wear for his induction at Leavenworth.
28th February 2008 07:45 PM
robpop Let him rot. All he had to do is tell the truth, then society and baseball would have forgiven him. Roger will leave behind more "*" than Bonds. Cheating to win the championship, where have I heard than one before?
28th February 2008 07:58 PM
fireontheplatter i so agreed with mike's comment from the mike and the maddog show a couple of weeks ago. mike was basically said, i don't care anymore..let the courts deal with it . this guy is not a criminal or a threat to society...let him go, let him be
28th February 2008 08:06 PM
robpop
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
this guy is not a criminal

Golick had to say that, because he is an idiot. By the way, Clemens is a criminal. The list of the charges is getting longer everyday. He is no threat to society, but he has lied to society. He made a lot of money using illegal substances.
28th February 2008 08:35 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
robpop wrote:

Golick had to say that, because he is an idiot. By the way, Clemens is a criminal. The list of the charges is getting longer everyday. He is no threat to society, but he has lied to society. He made a lot of money using illegal substances.

do you think he bought his pretty wife with all that flint?

to me lying about using hgh ain't no big deal. he's busted. the cats out of the bag...bust the fucker, take his cash. what the hell is baseball these days anyway? its a bunch of overpaid grown men trying to hit a ball over a wall. americas favorite pastime.
28th February 2008 08:52 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

do you think he bought his pretty wife with all that flint?

to me lying about using hgh ain't no big deal. he's busted. the cats out of the bag...bust the fucker, take his cash. what the hell is baseball these days anyway? its a bunch of overpaid grown men trying to hit a ball over a wall. americas favorite pastime.

Like, Bubba & BArry, he lied to the Grand Jury, not to smart.
28th February 2008 08:55 PM
pdog what next, the NBA starts testing for Marijuana?
28th February 2008 08:57 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
pdog wrote:
what next, the NBA starts testing for Marijuana?

That's not funny. Was not there an episode of Arlis that covered that craziness?
29th February 2008 07:05 AM
Rizollin I used to like baseball. Steroids ruined a great sport. But I've never liked Roger Clemens, he's always been kind of an overrated douchebag.
29th February 2008 07:52 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Rizollin wrote:
I used to like baseball. Steroids ruined a great sport. But I've never liked Roger Clemens, he's always been kind of an overrated douchebag.

HArd to say overated with 5 CYs, 300++ wins and a crap load of strikes.
29th February 2008 08:32 AM
nankerphelge This is not about Roger, or steroids, or baseball.

This is about how first our taxpayer dollars go into Henry Waxman's dog and pony show. The fucking troll has the audacity to demand a hearing, and then complain that the hearing was a waste of time. Ugly, stupid and on a ego trip funded by me.

Then, our tax funded Congress asks our tax funded justice department to investigate. Is this really a national issue?

And now the tax funded FBI is going to investigate.

What on Earth is our government doing investigating which of these two guys is lying?

Is this the best we can do with our resources?
29th February 2008 08:55 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
glencar wrote:
What a shame. Drugs users are all over the place & tehy're taking more serious stuff than this stuff.

typical diversion

the investigation is not about his drug use

it's about his lying

he better set aside six to nine months next year as he will be a guest of the Department of Justice

ain't no probation suspended sentences, or good behavior time off in the Federal system

OK now
29th February 2008 09:02 AM
glencar You're right; just like Monica-gate wasn't about the bj; it was about the lies. Somehow, I think Roger will skate.
29th February 2008 10:35 AM
sirmoonie The damn liberals are trying to ruin our national pastime, shattering the hopes and dreams of tens of thousands of spastic white kids looking for a sport they can try to compete at.
29th February 2008 11:32 AM
Riffhard
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
This is not about Roger, or steroids, or baseball.

This is about how first our taxpayer dollars go into Henry Waxman's dog and pony show. The fucking troll has the audacity to demand a hearing, and then complain that the hearing was a waste of time. Ugly, stupid and on a ego trip funded by me.

Then, our tax funded Congress asks our tax funded justice department to investigate. Is this really a national issue?

What on Earth is our government doing investigating which of these two guys is lying?

Nanky I cannot believe that you would tarnish the good name of this great man! Look at him!

Look at him I said!

This man demands, and deserves our respect!

Holy shit! Is that guy the ugliest fuck that has ever graced the the House Floor! Gawtdamned he be ugly!

Riffy
29th February 2008 11:34 AM
glencar This is revenge because waxy got bad press for even holding that hearing. Roger may or may not have lied but it's a "he said, she said" situation & I too am outraged OUTRAGED that the FBI is looking into this.
29th February 2008 11:52 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Holy shit! Is that guy the ugliest fuck that has ever graced the the House Floor! Gawtdamned he be ugly!

Holy Jesus, I've seen better looking creatures on the end of a hook. That dude got bum rushed by Sasquatch.

I'm pretty sure he posts here.
29th February 2008 11:56 AM
monkey_man
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:

A fucking Men!
29th February 2008 12:00 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
glencar wrote:
You're right; just like Monica-gate wasn't about the bj; it was about the lies.

Exactly...if Clemens came clean like Pettitte, no biggie...but now....
29th February 2008 12:44 PM
sammy davis jr. I like to see pompous assed athletes squirm. I mean rules never apply to THEM do they?
29th February 2008 12:56 PM
monkey_man It's a job for the Leagues to make them squirm NOT the Federal Government!
29th February 2008 01:29 PM
Riffhard
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
It's a job for the Leagues to make them squirm NOT the Federal Government!

While I completely agree with you on this, I still can't help but be pissed at Clemens for just not fessing up in the first place. Now he's gonna get screwed blue by the feds and he will lose at least a couple of his Cy's and he can forget the Hall. Stupid move on his part.

I, of course, have always known that Greg Maddox was the best pitcher of his generation anyway.

Riffy
29th February 2008 02:13 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

While I completely agree with you on this, I still can't help but be pissed at Clemens for just not fessing up in the first place. Now he's gonna get screwed blue by the feds and he will lose at least a couple of his Cy's and he can forget the Hall.
Riffy

Pete Rose, Bonds and Clemens can start their own Hall!
29th February 2008 02:17 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

Pete Rose, Bonds and Clemens can start their own Hall!

And the guy without the shoes!
29th February 2008 02:38 PM
Riffhard
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

And the guy without the shoes!

Yes Shoeless Joe Jackson!

Riffy
29th February 2008 02:43 PM
pdog Are Yankees WS's won with these guys now asterisked, like Bonds' HR record?
Just wondering out loud!
29th February 2008 03:05 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
pdog wrote:
Are Yankees WS's won with these guys now asterisked, like Bonds' HR record?
Just wondering out loud!

Legally, a player's asterix is imputed to his entire team.
29th February 2008 03:14 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Does the NP on the shirt and the chain stand for Nigga Please??
[Edited by monkey_man]
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)