ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
BC Stadium, Vancouver, November 25, 2006
© The Province with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keiths doctor speaks Return to archive Page: 1 2
9th February 2008 07:19 PM
Daethgod great read here

tx to the peeps at IORR

Kiwi doctor rolls with the Stones

When Auckland brain surgeon Andrew Law was at university he had a poster of Rolling Stone Keith Richards on his wall. Now his photos of the Stones are more likely to have him in them.

Law, 41, is the neurosurgeon Richards credits with saving his life after the guitarist suffered a brain injury in a fall from a tree in Fiji in April, 2006.

Since then, the men have formed a close, if unlikely, friendship, with Law spending many weeks either on the road with the Stones, or living with Richards and his family in Europe and the United States.

Law has rejected big money offers from international magazines to speak about his relationship with the man he now regards as a good mate.

But he told the Sunday Star-Times the pair "just clicked" from the time they first met at Auckland's Ascot Hospital when Law was called in to assess his celebrity patient.

"I wasn't too impressed being up at this time - it was 2am - so I just said 'What the f**k have you been up to?' I think that broke the ice. He just laughed."

But Law said the surgery on Richards' brain was far from minor.

"He was really really unwell. I told him 'I might kill you today' - he was very aware of it. He had to put his life in my hands."

Law, too, admits he was nervous before operating on one of the world's most famous rockers.

Richards not only survived, but within six weeks was well enough to rejoin the Stones' two-year world tour. Insurers demanded Law go along as well and he travelled with the group through Italy, Austria and Germany.

"Everyone was on tenterhooks thinking he'd fall over. But he's just too good for that."

The weeks on the road gave Law a rare insight into the "bizarre" lifestyle of the superstars, including being mobbed by fans and paparazzi and having to be smuggled by bodyguards into cars at the back entrances of hotels.

"They know it's bizarre. They are funny, clever people. He is a very strong-willed, intelligent, very cool and clever guy and incredibly brave. And he made me laugh."

Though Richards has brought Law into a social circle he'd previously only read about - introducing him to stars including Johnny Depp and Sienna Miller - he's also become close to Richards' wife, Patti Hansen, and his children, who are closer in age than the rocker himself, who's 64.

"We go out and have fish and chips and a beer."

He says Richards has surrounded himself with good people. "They don't cross him, they don't harm him. They look after him and most people would do anything for him."

He admits his experiences with the Stones have been "a bit surreal".

"I don't get excited by it; the thing that excited me most was that he was such an interesting guy and we got on so well. We'd travel through Europe and he'd be telling me what was going on with the Hapsburgs (Austria's ruling house). I learned from him."

He said Richards' star quality was obvious. "He has style. Even when he just gets up to make some eggs and a piece of toast."

Richards might appreciate the chance to talk to someone outside his circle, said Law. "I don't think he's run into too many neurosurgeons and I haven't run into too many rock stars."

He last saw Richards in November but they keep in touch. "He'll ring or fax and ask what I'm up to."

At the Stones' LA concert at Dodger Stadium in November 2006, Richards found a unique way to thank Law, telling the crowd of 50,000 that he wouldn't have been there without him.

"He's from New Zealand and he's my head man, you know what I mean? He fixed the thing."

The crowd gave Law a standing ovation. "He said: 'Here's one for your scrapbook, Andy.' I was standing backstage with Patti. It was a completely unexpected compliment."

But the surgeon responded just as the star would have expected. "I just said, 'You cheeky bastard!'

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4395738a1860.html

[Edited by Gazza]
9th February 2008 07:44 PM
Glimmer Twin Keith makes me laugh. He's one cool dude.
9th February 2008 07:59 PM
pdog Great article... I've decide, Keith doesn't dodge bullets, he is the bullet or maybe he's everything that surrounds the bullet... I'm still just amazed by his will to live, despite everything...
9th February 2008 10:49 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Daethgod wrote:

He says Richards has surrounded himself with good people. "They don't cross him, they don't harm him. They look after him and most people would do anything for him."

A good way to live. Thanks, Daeth, great read.

10th February 2008 08:37 AM
nankerphelge "He's from New Zealand and he's my head man, you know what I mean? He fixed the thing"

That's funny!
10th February 2008 11:48 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
"He's from New Zealand and he's my head man, you know what I mean? He fixed the thing"

That's funny!

Always have liked the Kiwis better then the Aussies. There just funnier.

Photobucket
10th February 2008 11:53 AM
Joey
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
great read here

tx to the peeps at IORR

Kiwi doctor rolls with the Stones

"They know it's bizarre. They are funny, clever people. He is a very strong-willed, intelligent, very cool and clever guy and incredibly brave. And he made me laugh."

What a Great Read . Thanks .

"We go out and have fish and chips and a beer."

Brazen Head ?!

www.BRAZENHEADPUB.com

BEST KEITH YET !!!!!

Puffin Joe .

[cc:ss]

[Edited by Joey]
10th February 2008 01:53 PM
Poison Dart Cool article
10th February 2008 02:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:
Keith makes me laugh. He's one cool dude.

WORD.

10th February 2008 09:44 PM
stonedinaustralia Always have liked the Kiwis better then the Aussies. There (sic.) just funnier.

11th February 2008 02:57 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
Always have liked the Kiwis better then the Aussies. There (sic.) just funnier.

Thank's for correcting the grammer mate! If you want to get out of here. Ya talk to me. If it's all the same to you mate, I'll drive that rig.

Can't help it, I'm just sic of the Aussie actors playin' Yanks. You guys are worse then candians as far as the penis envy goes.

Photobucket

Imagine that missle coming at one of the Aussie futbawlers.
11th February 2008 03:57 AM
Daethgod get jiggy with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bztcGaSialg

us Aussies know how to PLAY football

11th February 2008 03:58 AM
Daethgod and when we kick long , we freaking kick long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J47ccoM0Dvg&feature=related

11th February 2008 03:59 AM
Daethgod and some old skool action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BOzQwj4fSE&feature=related

11th February 2008 06:37 AM
corgi37 No one understands us, Daeth.

The Poms dont use their hands in their football.

And the Yanks hardly kick the frigging thing. Not that they could SEE the ball under 450 pounds of padding.

My best mate is a Kiwi! We are going to Surfers in June. I was his best man.

Anyway, that last clips shows just how weak Yanks really are.

This is my team!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3t-MKkh2to&feature=related

[Edited by corgi37]
[Edited by corgi37]
11th February 2008 07:40 AM
Riffhard Uhh,...American footbal,aka the NFL, could not be played without pads! The players are twice the size of the players in ARF or any other type football/soccer in the world. NFL players are fuckin' huge! A typical offensive lineman is between 6-4 to 6-7 and weighs in between 325-375 lbs!!!! These guys would kill any of the pansies wearing their little shorts and cute litle shirts!!! Are you kidding me guys?! Only someone with zero knowledge of the NFL would start saying crap about pads. I'll tell ya what let a 6-7 375 lb. man hit you at full speed with no pads and see what happens! You'd be in traction for months.

These guys are not soccer players! Nor are they Austrailian Rules Football players. They are hard core NFL players, and they would run you over you like a Mac Truck hits a squirrel!

Riffy
11th February 2008 07:46 AM
Gazza Er....375 pounds?

Is someone that weight even capable of running?
11th February 2008 07:56 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Er....375 pounds?

Is someone that weight even capable of running?

Oh yeah they can! Flozell Addams on the Dallas Cowboys for example. He weighs in at 345 lbs and is 6-7!! He also is one of the fastest tackles in the game. The guy is quick like a fox, and if he hits you? Well good luck!

Most people who say crap about the NFL and the "pads" have never once seen the size of these guys. They are monsterously huge!

Riffy

Riffy
11th February 2008 08:04 AM
Riffhard These fellas are big, yeah? Yup!

Riffy
11th February 2008 08:11 AM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Oh yeah they can! Flozell Addams on the Dallas Cowboys for example. He weighs in at 345 lbs and is 6-7!! He also is one of the fastest tackles in the game. The guy is quick like a fox, and if he hits you? Well good luck!

Most people who say crap about the NFL and the "pads" have never once seen the size of these guys. They are monsterously huge!

Riffy

Thats fuckin' huge. Linemen dont cover a lot of ground though, do they? Quick over short distances would be the trick, I suppose. Some Rugby league players are like man mountains as well. Wouldnt fancy getting whacked by them either, with just a gumshield for protection.
11th February 2008 09:10 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Thats fuckin' huge. Linemen dont cover a lot of ground though, do they? Quick over short distances would be the trick, I suppose. Some Rugby league players are like man mountains as well. Wouldnt fancy getting whacked by them either, with just a gumshield for protection.

True they don't typically cover a lot of ground, however, they can pack a whallop in short sprints. I wouldn't want these guys to get a full head of steam before getting hit by them!

I met Tony Cassillas once years ago. He was a defensive tackle for the Atlanta Falcons, and then went on to win two Superbowl rings with the Cowboys. He was the largest man I have ever met. Yet he is only 6-3 and 280 lbs. He would be considered small compared to the size of many other offensive and defensive linemen. When he shook my hand I laughed out loud because my hand just completely dissapeared in his hand. I felt like a toddler shaking hands with an adult!

Riffy
11th February 2008 09:57 AM
Bitch Nice article and pic!

Ahhhhh, I think Dr. Law is a HOTTIE!!

My~my~my~my~my!

[Edited by Bitch]
11th February 2008 10:31 AM
Joey
quote:

Bitch wrote:

Nice article

Concur ..................... Bitch !
11th February 2008 11:59 AM
TampabayStone Funny how you tease the Aussies a little and they come out in droves; yet, Corgi gives us his monthly "I hate the Yanks" rant and we applaud him for it.

At least when most of us get in a car crash, we have seatbelts, hopefully airbags and a car to protect us. These guys only have the pads to protect them from multiple car crashes every game.

This dude is only 6'3 270lbs. During a pregame interview, my man hit a standing back flip (no pads of course). F'ing stunned me. Everyone of these dudes are world class athletes. If that guy is chasing you he will catch you.

Photobucket
11th February 2008 12:08 PM
Gazza
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:
Funny how you tease the Aussies a little and they come out in droves; yet, Corgi gives us his monthly "I hate the Yanks" rant and we applaud him for it.

Three of them is 'droves'?

You should know Corgi well enough by now to know pretty much everything the guy says is tongue in cheek, I would have thought...and its not monthly, its weekly at the most....

[Edited by Gazza]
11th February 2008 12:22 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Three of them is 'droves'?

You should know Corgi well enough by now to know pretty much everything the guy says is tongue in cheek, I would have thought...and its not monthly, its weekly at the most....

[Edited by Gazza]

I know Corgi is a cheeky one, but it's fun to poke a stick in there none the same. I thought three Aussies was a drove, how many of them are there?

Turn this one up!

If this does not bring a tear to your eye, well, you just a'int human.

11th February 2008 12:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

I know Corgi is a cheeky one, but it's fun to poke a stick in there none the same. I thought three Aussies was a drove, how many of them are there?

Only four!
11th February 2008 12:26 PM
TampabayStone Greatest Buc of all time!

11th February 2008 12:46 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Only four!

I thought so.. I always assumed they were like the Welsh, that there are only a couple dozen and most of them are famous.

11th February 2008 04:40 PM
somebody

Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)