ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
BC Stadium, Vancouver, November 25, 2006
© The Province with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: grateful dead fans Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
14th February 2008 06:57 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Aside from Bonnaroo, no dates for Phil.

www.rothburyfestival.com
14th February 2008 07:11 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
www.rothburyfestival.com

jazzy website, too...
17th February 2008 06:55 AM
mac_daddy
mojoman - dick has been gone for like six years now, but he left a long list of the ones he wanted to release as part of the series. i think dp 36 is the most recent one, but there should be more to come (they have been focusing on the multitrack stuff that goes with the view from the vault series, so the 2 ch dp releases have been on the backburner for a bit)...

17th February 2008 07:29 PM
Jaxx
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
http://www.archive.org/details/sci2006-07-01.mk41.flac16

Guys..heres an amazing set that features Weirs Ratdog on an amazing version of China Cat/Know You Rider...a pure delight and free download in flac or mp3....Enjoy!

LMAO. i was there. GRATE show. !! thanks for the link.
17th February 2008 10:03 PM
Lazy Bones if any one is interested, joe-beacon is running through the sept 1987 run at etree...

http://bt.etree.org/index.php?cat=8
19th February 2008 10:46 AM
gimmekeef Theres some good Dead/Garcia/Fogerty stuff up now at Traders Den inc:

89-05-27
Oakland, CA
SBD > Cassette > Nak DR-3 > RME 96/8 PST > CDR
John Fogerty with Jerry Garcia, Clarence Clemmons and Bob Weir, AIDS Benefit

Killer show... Thanks to KC & Uba...

Definite download for anyone who remotely enjoys Fogerty and/or Garcia

Born On The Bayou
Green River
Down On The Corner
Rock And Roll Girls
Centerfield
Proud Mary
Midnight Special
Bad Moon Rising
Fortunate Son
Susie Q
Long Tall Sally
19th February 2008 06:24 PM
Jaxx considering the stones and the grateful dead both have their roots in american blues, its always amazing to me how many stones fans say they can't stand the gd and visa versa.

crossovers that quickly come to mind include:

the overplayed "not fade away" i once heard the stones play this in concert, then a few months later i heard the grateful dead play it. my sister and i have a pact to call each other if we are at a show and this one breaks out.

little red rooster. yeah. mick is a little red rooster alright, but this ratdog version from peekskill 2007 kicks ass:
http://www.archive.org/details/ratdog2007-03-06.akgck1x.flac16

around and around
i'm a king bee
the harder they come(jgb)
walking the dog
satisfaction
the last time

[Edited by Jaxx]
19th February 2008 06:37 PM
Lazy Bones ...my opinion is that the gd does better live renditions of both - especially LRR from "dead set" (radio city music hall: 31/10/80) which provides strong vocals by bob...."to LAZY, LAZY, to crow for day.." - combined with brent's haunting keys make a smokin' cover..."in every way"!
19th February 2008 06:42 PM
PartyDoll MEG Hey Jaxx

One of my favorite YOUNG musicians, Jackie Greene, just fronted for Phil and Friends and joined the crew for the Obama gig. He has a new album coming out April 1 and will be touring extensively with it.. Don't miss him if he comes to Denver and drag Martha along too!!!
19th February 2008 06:48 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
...my opinion is that the gd does better live renditions of both - especially LRR from "dead set" (radio city music hall: 31/10/80) which provides strong vocals by bob...."to LAZY, LAZY, to crow for day.." - combined with brent's haunting keys make a smokin' cover..."in every way"!

The later versions of 'Rooster' where Brent took a verse are even better...
19th February 2008 06:59 PM
Jaxx hey meg: caught jackie green twice- 2 back2back phil and friends shows lst summer. jackie looks like he's 19, but the guys sitting in front of me said he was 26 or something like that. i was impressed with the "beenie baby" of jerry garcia he had propped up on his keyboards. i agree that he's a very talented individual.
20th February 2008 03:30 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

The later versions of 'Rooster' where Brent took a verse are even better...

Brent's backup singing is haunting.

Guess I should catch up in the thread before postin' shit.
[Edited by TampabayStone]
20th February 2008 06:31 AM
Ronnie Richards Any recommendations for what to pick up next for someone who loves workingman's dead and american beauty (but who's hardly heard anything else...)
20th February 2008 06:38 AM
lotsajizz dick's picks v. 8...Harpur College NY May 1970

or dosin' at the knick Albany March 1990
20th February 2008 07:02 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
Any recommendations for what to pick up next for someone who loves workingman's dead and american beauty (but who's hardly heard anything else...)

while I agree with lotsajizz re: dp8, here's a link where you can view the info for each pick-
http://www.deaddisc.com/GDFD_Dicks_Picks.htm

I would also recommend dp4,11,14 and 16 to start out with. aside from the dp's, there are other live releases that are worthy of purchase - the 'view from the vault's, for example, which are multi-track recordings.

the store at dead.net illustrates the goodies...
20th February 2008 07:17 AM
Ronnie Richards Much appreciated!!
20th February 2008 08:21 AM
mac_daddy if we are talking official releases...

"skullf*ck" is terrific, and very accessible. i love this era of the band, and also will recommend dp35 ("the houseboat tapes"). both albums are at the end of the pigpen era, when they were doing more songs, and less of "the suite" (which is fabulous, but not nearly as accessible). to me, this is the period where the band ROCKED the hardest.

if you alre looking for the auds, go to the LlaMA.

as i said, the pigpen years are my favorite...

the keith and donna years are fabulous in their own right...

brent was underrated, and a terrific fit...

hornsby added quite a bit of flavor in the band's twilight...

i would (and do) stay away from most anything after 1991.
20th February 2008 08:51 AM
gimmekeef Speaking of cross over songs I always wondered how the Stones would sound doing a version of Bertha?
20th February 2008 09:04 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
"skullf*ck" is terrific, and very accessible.

aka 'skull and roses' -

http://www.amazon.com/Grateful-Dead-Skull-Roses/dp/B00007LTIM

mac, do you have the reissue w/ bonus tracks?
20th February 2008 09:05 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Speaking of cross over songs I always wondered how the Stones would sound doing a version of Bertha?

i recommend keith on vocals for that!
20th February 2008 10:45 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

i recommend keith on vocals for that!

Good call!...Maybe a Keith/Ronnie duet instead of 2 Keith tunes..BTW Lazy...Iowa pkg in the mail as of Tuesday...
20th February 2008 10:54 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
BTW Lazy...Iowa pkg in the mail as of Tuesday...

thanks, pal! i owe ya one!

have you had a chance to listen..?
20th February 2008 11:12 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

thanks, pal! i owe ya one!

have you had a chance to listen..?

Yup..its an A+ show and recording!!!
20th February 2008 11:56 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Yup..its an A+ show and recording!!!

[instant boner]
20th February 2008 12:12 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

[instant boner]

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much information..lmaoooooo
20th February 2008 07:59 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

aka 'skull and roses' -

http://www.amazon.com/Grateful-Dead-Skull-Roses/dp/B00007LTIM

mac, do you have the reissue w/ bonus tracks?

yup - that's the one.

yes - i have the redux version. there were two box sets of the redux ones: the golden road and beyond description. mrs macdaddy got them for me as gifts when they were released. the dead set and reckoning (which are both from the same tour - that 1980 nyc/sf/no run with the acoustic set and then two electric sets) redux versions each come with a whole disc of extras; well worth picking up. oh, so is workingman's with the pedal steel from jerry on dire wolf, which is worth the price of admission alone (he also did the pedal on the csn(y) tune "teach your children")
27th February 2008 07:28 PM
Bitch trivia question:

name the song that The Grateful Dead & The Rolling Stones both played during the same time period. (hint: early 80's)
27th February 2008 07:40 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Bitch wrote:
trivia question:

name the song that The Grateful Dead & The Rolling Stones both played during the same time period. (hint: early 80's)

there was more than one...
It's All Over Now
Little Red Rooster
Satisfaction
Around And Around
...are just four songs that the Stones did and that were in the Dead's early 80's rotation...
27th February 2008 07:46 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
there was more than one...
It's All Over Now
Little Red Rooster
Satisfaction
Around And Around
...are just four songs that the Stones did and that were in the Dead's early 80's rotation...

True dat.
But in the early 80's It's All Over Now, Rooster and Around & Around weren't in the Stones' rotation.
27th February 2008 07:58 PM
Zack Satisfaction was the encore of my first Dead show ever, in Philly November 83.

The Dead also broke out The Last Time once in a while. They clearly liked Out of Our Heads, having played that tune from the album, Satisfaction, and the Stones' arrangement of Sam Cooke's Let the Good Times Roll. A great opener in the late period.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)