ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
BC Stadium, Vancouver, November 25, 2006
© The Province with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: grateful dead fans Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
7th February 2008 06:30 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
and while i am on the subject - did phil and bobby get on stage together for that obama gig, or did they just do a ratdog set and a phil and friends set seperately..?

Together.

Set 1:
Playing In The Band (Bob) >
Brown Eyed Women (Jackie Greene)
Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo (Phil)
Minglewood Blues (Bob) >
Come Together (Bob)

Set 2 (Acoustic):
Deep Elem Blues (Bob) >
Friend of The Devil (Bob)
Deal (Jackie)
Ripple (Phil & Bob)

Set 3:
China Cat Sunflower (Bob) >
The Wheel (All) >
The Other One (Bob) >
Sugaree (Jackie)
Eyes Of The World (Phil) >
Throwing Stones (Bob) >
Iko Iko (Mickey Hart) >
Playin' Reprise (Bob)

Phil: Voter Rap > Donor Rap > Band Intros
E: U.S. Blues (Bob)

Lead vocalist(s) in parentheses

Band:
Phil Lesh - Bass, Vocals
Bob Weir - Guitar, Vocals
Mickey Hart - Drums, Vocals
Jackie Greene - Guitar, Keys, Harmonica, Vocals
John Molo - Drums
Steve Molitz - Keys, Backing Vocals
Mark Karan - Guitar, Backing Vocals
Barry Sless - Pedal Steel

Here's a link to some pictures -
www.littlebeast.com/obamafeb4
7th February 2008 07:15 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Oh come on..you'd do it in a heartbeat I bet...lol

Hmmm...I dunno about that, but I completely forgot that Bo Diddley was onboard and opened the show backed by Elephant's Memory. And Jerry was walking around in a clown suit at one point...lol. In fact, you can see a little footage from this floating bacchanalia in the movie "Hell's Angels Forever." Yikes
[Edited by GotToRollMe]
7th February 2008 09:16 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

And Jerry was walking around in a clown suit at one point...lol.]

Wow, might not of got out of that one sane. I would have thought it was the blotter.
7th February 2008 09:28 PM
TampabayStone Photobucket
7th February 2008 11:43 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Wow, might not of got out of that one sane. I would have thought it was the blotter.

The whole experience was surreal, to say the very least...and that's not even counting the blotter!
8th February 2008 02:07 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

The whole experience was surreal, to say the very least...and that's not even counting the blotter!

Funny!!

RIP
Photobucket
8th February 2008 06:57 PM
mac_daddy thanks for the info, left shoe shuffle. i am surprised they were onstage together since neither has had a kind word for the other in some time (which is what cheesed me off about the post-jerry "dead" - those guuys never spoke after jerry died until some michael cohl type convinced them to tour that summer for the money; i heard some recordings of those gigs, and they were just flat)...

having said that, from the late sixties through the early nineties, there was not another band that could touch the dead live. nobody. the stones did a different thing, and nobody could touch them, either. but what the dead did night in and night out, and what they aspired to musically is simply awe-inspiring. thank heavens we have the recordings. that band, during that aforementioned stretch of time was an american treasure.
8th February 2008 08:26 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
i am surprised they were onstage together since neither has had a kind word for the other in some time (which is what cheesed me off about the post-jerry "dead" - those guuys never spoke after jerry died until some michael cohl type convinced them to tour that summer for the money; i heard some recordings of those gigs, and they were just flat)...

They've actually gotten together a few times - first as The Other Ones, and then those two "The Dead" tours.

The first TOO jaunt in 98 was nice, and I really liked the 2002 TOO tour that featured Susan Tedeschi and the 03 Dead tour with Joan Osborne.

I'd guess you heard some 04 stuff - Bobby was in bad shape, and Warren Haynes wasn't a good fit, imo.

Wouldn't be surprised if they dust off those rusty strings just one more time this summer...
8th February 2008 08:41 PM
guitarman53 I'm the odd man out here, I've tried to like the Dead, I have loved every band from the bay area in '67/68, Country Joe & The Fish/Big Brother/Jefferson Airplane/Moby Grape/Quick Silver, & so on, I've taken acid dozens of times, but I've never liked The Dead, their musicians who like to get high, & have long jams, (20 minutes of cover songs) but they turn themselves on, not always the audience, I think Jefferson Airplane had better musicians, their Bass player was fantastic, but it's like what Frank Zappa once said, whatever the young hip person thinks is hip, then like it, even though you don't, just to be cool.
Anybody who can write hit singles, that are familiar, has more talent, then a stoned out musician who plays "Not Fade Away" (which is 3 chords) for 30 minutes, & just add any crazy guitar solo as long as it's in the same key.
8th February 2008 08:47 PM
Zack
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I'm the odd man out here, I've tried to like the Dead, I have loved every band from the bay area in '67/68, Country Joe & The Fish/Big Brother/Jefferson Airplane/Moby Grape/Quick Silver, & so on, I've taken acid dozens of times, but I've never liked The Dead, their musicians who like to get high, & have long jams, (20 minutes of cover songs) but they turn themselves on, not always the audience, I think Jefferson Airplane had better musicians, their Bass player was fantastic, but it's like what Frank Zappa once said, whatever the young hip person thinks is hip, then like it, even though you don't, just to be cool.
Anybody who can write hit singles, that are familiar, has more talent, then a stoned out musician who plays "Not Fade Away" (which is 3 chords) for 30 minutes, & just add any crazy guitar solo as long as it's in the same key.

That stoned out musician you refer to had more talent than the entire Jefferson Airplane combined. Way more.
8th February 2008 08:49 PM
mojoman
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I'm the odd man out here, I've tried to like the Dead, I have loved every band from the bay area in '67/68, Country Joe & The Fish/Big Brother/Jefferson Airplane/Moby Grape/Quick Silver, & so on, I've taken acid dozens of times, but I've never liked The Dead, their musicians who like to get high, & have long jams, (20 minutes of cover songs) but they turn themselves on, not always the audience, I think Jefferson Airplane had better musicians, their Bass player was fantastic, but it's like what Frank Zappa once said, whatever the young hip person thinks is hip, then like it, even though you don't, just to be cool.

you make mojoman drink heavily and weep......
8th February 2008 08:56 PM
guitarman53
quote:
mojoman wrote:

you make mojoman drink heavily and weep......

Well, I said that this would be a reaction, & sure as hell it is, but I respect your taste, I just never have liked The Grateful Dead, if I was on acid & had to listen to their music, I would have a bad trip.
8th February 2008 08:57 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

Everyone likes what they like. C'est la vie.

But to dismiss the Grateful Dead as a bunch of drug addled noodlers is waaaaay off the mark, imnsho.
8th February 2008 09:00 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I just never have liked The Grateful Dead, if I was on acid & had to listen to their music, I would have a bad trip.

Q: Why do Deadheads dance with their hands in front of their face?

A: To keep the music out of their eyes...
8th February 2008 09:07 PM
mojoman
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

Well, I said that this would be a reaction, & sure as hell it is, but I respect your taste, I just never have liked The Grateful Dead, if I was on acid & had to listen to their music, I would have a bad trip.

did you ever see them live? they ain't pretty but when they were on they were on. the dragon chasing its tail. and sixty eight? anthem of the sun. psych masterpiece.
8th February 2008 09:11 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Zack wrote:

That stoned out musician you refer to had more talent than the entire Jefferson Airplane combined. Way more.

Phil Lesh Bass playing doesn't even come close to Jack Cassidy's Bass playing whatsoever.
8th February 2008 09:18 PM
guitarman53
quote:
mojoman wrote:

did you ever see them live? they ain't pretty but when they were on they were on. the dragon chasing its tail. and sixty eight? anthem of the sun. psych masterpiece.

I seen them at the Festival Express in Toronto in '70 or 71, Janis was at the same concert, I wasn't impressed with their country sound, they did a lot of covers, but all in all I just didn't like them.
8th February 2008 09:34 PM
mojoman
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

I seen them at the Festival Express in Toronto in '70 or 71, Janis was at the same concert, I wasn't impressed with their country sound, they did a lot of covers, but all in all I just didn't like them.

you saw the festival express 1970? holy shiite!!! you werent dosed? definately country. the psych was in remittance. still that's very heavy. i'd trade all my tommorows for a single yesterday.the band on the bill also? burrito's?
8th February 2008 10:07 PM
guitarman53
quote:
mojoman wrote:

you saw the festival express 1970? holy shiite!!! you werent dosed? definately country. the psych was in remittance. still that's very heavy. i'd trade all my tommorows for a single yesterday.the band on the bill also? burrito's?

The Band.
8th February 2008 11:00 PM
Zack
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

Phil Lesh Bass playing doesn't even come close to Jack Cassidy's Bass playing whatsoever.

I was referring to Garcia of course, but you must be kidding about Phil. Bass players don't get much better.

[Edited by Zack]
8th February 2008 11:01 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
mojoman wrote:

Holy shit...THE TRAIN! A legendary trip by all accounts.
9th February 2008 03:06 PM
PartyDoll MEG OK so I'm not a dead head..
but Jackie Greene did a good job with this one
If you haven't seen Jackie perform..don't miss him!!

10th February 2008 01:14 AM
sweetcharmedlife
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Q: Why do Deadheads dance with their hands in front of their face?

A: To keep the music out of their eyes...

Now that's that funny.:P
10th February 2008 11:56 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

don't be ignorant
11th February 2008 12:22 AM
Poplar
some pics froms last week's Deadheads for Obama show.
good show. they picked up steam as they went along.
lovely room.

11th February 2008 05:54 PM
full moon You are an uninformed douche. You lost all credibility when you said the comment about Lesh bass playing..
11th February 2008 06:57 PM
Poplar
Phil is the man.
12th February 2008 08:56 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Phil is the man.

I'll second that...
12th February 2008 10:04 AM
lotsajizz Phil was the finest and most innovative musician of the bunch. He's still a superb player. NO ONE plays bass--or ever will--like Phil.
12th February 2008 10:14 AM
Lazy Bones
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)