ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

日本の弛緩 / The Stones relaxing in Japan!
By our friend Minko!
あなたにMinko 非常に感謝しなさい

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brisbane Entertainment Centre March 4th Set List, reviews and pix Return to archive
03-04-03 10:25 AM
Honky Tonk Man Taken from IORR

Street Fighting Man
It's Only Rock'n Roll
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Start Me Up
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Bitch
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
Slipping Away
Before They Make Me Run
Sympathy For The Devil
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk Women
Jumping Jack Flash
You Got Me Rocking (B-stage)
Like A Rolling Stone (B-stage)
Brown Sugar (B-stage)
Satisfaction (encore)

Alex
03-04-03 10:54 AM
marko This ones ok,,but only 19 songs again,with LARS!
03-04-03 11:59 AM
moy Stones shine like rubies
Noel Mengel, Phil Bartsch and Emma Chalmers
05mar03
THEY played to the crowd, played to each other and gave 13,000 fans a night to remember.

The Rolling Stones hit the Brisbane Entertainment Centre last night, delivering their unique version of rock and roll in a way only they can.

They opened their performance with Street Fighting Man and It's Only Rock'n'Roll, and the crowd loved it. Although the band changed set lists for each performance, the show was not short on classics: Start Me Up, and You Can't Always Get What You Want among the legendary tracks.

And while there was plenty of on-stage attitude � few faces in rock and roll have the charisma, the character and the creases of the Stones � the band made a point of doing things their way even before the performance began.

Frontman Mick Jagger arrived at Boondall at 6pm when an RACQ CareFlight helicopter � acquired for the trip from their luxury Gold Coast hotel to Brisbane for a tidy $10,000 donation � touched down on a makeshift grass helipad, a white "H" sprayed on only hours earlier.

CareFlight spokeswoman Carol Haffke said the donation covered the cost of the flight "four times over" and would be used to buy a potentially lifesaving ventilator for the service.

"It's very timely because our current ventilator is out being repaired," Ms Haffke said.

She dismissed reports Jagger had donated $50,000. She said Jagger's minders had approached CareFlight specifically requesting a twin-engined helicopter capable of travelling in all weather to get him to the Stones' two Brisbane shows.

"We agreed to do it subject to emergency callouts," she said.

The rest of the band, who arrived early for a sound test, requested a pool table backstage to keep themselves entertained. Australian group You Am I had the enviable honour of opening the show on a major set which took 18 hours to construct.

After their follow-up performance tonight, the Stones will head to Japan for the start of their Asian tour.

Deputy Premier Terry Mackenroth, who obtained free tickets to last night's concert for himself and nine guests, arrived in a cab with his wife Mary. Several other Cabinet Ministers were also in the audience.

Review by Noel Mengel

NEVER mind the hype. Granted, it has been impossible to avoid these past two weeks. But when the Rolling Stones take the stage, all the pop-culture chatter, headlines and gossip becomes irrelevant.

While it's easy to take cheap shots at a band approaching or past their 60th birthdays in what was once a young person's domain, the truth is that the Rolling Stones are a rock 'n' roll treasure.

The way to survive in this here-today, gone-tomorrow business for 40 years is to get up on stage every night and blow people away. And the Stones are still doing it.

Of course, having as many undisputed rock classics in the bank as they do helps, not to mention an arena packed with 13,000 people listening to a soundtrack of their lives.

But it's the sheer joy in making music that the four Stones and their cast of helpers � four-piece horns, three backing singers and keys man Chuck Leavell � bring to the proceedings that makes a show like last night's first of two at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre such a special event.

They've been mixing up the set right through this world tour and were still at it last night kicking off with two guaranteed heart-starters, Street Fighting Man and It's Only Rock 'n' Roll with the crowd already on their feet.

Mick Jagger is still one of the hardest workers in rock 'n' roll continually prowling the stage, exhorting the crowd, with guitar twins Keith Richards and Ron Wood locked in the groove behind.

As ever, Charlie Watts is the propulsive force on the drums. But it was with Start Me Up where the Stones moved into another gear transforming one of their lesser hits into something that rivals their greatest.

As there has been throughout the tour there were all kinds of treats including the chance to sing along with every word of You Can't Always Get What You Want and a magnificent 10-minute blast of Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

Even after 40 years the Stones have never really had the rough edges knocked off. Sure, the sound is a little muddy at times but they are still raw and muscular � and what's more, still having a blast.

03-04-03 12:05 PM
moy
03-04-03 12:11 PM
Child of the Moon I REALLY like that newspaper they have over there... over to the side, "Bush to invade within 10 days." Feh! Mere sidebar news compared to the ROLLING FRIGGIN' STONES! The Aussies have their priorities straight, no doubt about it.
03-04-03 12:12 PM
LadyJane Moy, I hope you know how much we appreciate your contributions to this Board!!

I, for one, don't have the time to surf for the international news and reviews. It's so nice to know that you have it covered for us!! .

With you "on watch", I know I'm not gonna miss a thing!!

Thank you so much!!!

LadyJ.
03-04-03 02:09 PM
luxury1 Yes, Moy--many thanks for reporting this news with photos. It is so cool to keep current with the boys when they are half-way around the world.
03-04-03 02:22 PM
jb It's really cool for a nerd like you!
03-04-03 08:34 PM
stonedinaustralia a bit disapponting we (rocks off) don't have a (wo)man on the ground in the brisbane

any lurkers out there who saw the show please let us know how it was!!
03-04-03 09:15 PM
Child of the Moon I read a review over on iorr.org that said that Ronnie was in the zone during CYHMK. What I wouldn't have given to see that...
03-04-03 09:18 PM
gypsymofo60 RE: The review; Start Me Up,(ONE OF THEIR LESSER HITS)??????this guys obviously been pulled off his normal assignment right? which would be?.....EPICURE.
03-04-03 11:44 PM
Martha
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
I read a review over on iorr.org that said that Ronnie was in the zone during CYHMK. What I wouldn't have given to see that...

He pulled it off during CYHMK at the Staples show too..he's getting it down my friend.... getting it down.... Ronnie style!

Thanks for posting the news Moy! I really appreciate your efforts too. Great stuff!
03-05-03 12:20 AM
parmeda Moy's always there! Thanks girl!

And a 'thanks' to Alex as well for posting the set list.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST