ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

日本の弛緩 / The Stones relaxing in Japan!
By our friend Minko!
あなたにMinko 非常に感謝しなさい

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rod Laver Arena Melbourne March 1st setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive
03-01-03 09:43 AM
Monkey Woman From IORR
http://www.iorr.org
----------
Jumping Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man
You Got Me Rocking
Don't Stop
Live With Me
Angie
Sweet Virginia
All Down The Line
Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
The Worst
Before They Make Me Run
Sympathy For The Devil
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk Women
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Start Me Up
Midnight Rambler (B-stage)
Like A Rolling Stone (B-stage)
Brown Sugar (B-stage)
Satisfaction (encore)
03-01-03 09:52 AM
Monkey Woman Review of tonight's show by Bjornulf at IORR.org

----------------

Show time: 9:30pm - 11:35pm

After a terrific version of "Gimme Shelter" Mick was shown a paper saying they would fit in "Honky Tonk Women" before they did "It's Only Rock'n Roll", so they gave us one more song than what was originally planned for the set list of the show. Shy and silent crowd tonight, but you could tell by the smiles on the faces that they all loved it.

Mick had got back the special white T-shirt with the big blue tongue and "Melbourne" in all silver gothic letters tonight. And they said they would make it special as it was the last show in Melbourne.

The featured album tonight was "Exile". Another great show. And as always it is sad when you see they start dismounding the stage and the barriers during the encore. Then you know they are on their way to another city, another show and more fun of course.

During the introductions Ronnie said he had hurt his finger, but it did not seem like he had any serious damages. May be it was a joke.

2-Mar-2003 - 12:15am
IORR/Bjornulf
03-01-03 12:05 PM
marko i really must say,what a boring set list!You aussies got
the worst set lists of the tour so far.I really don�t wanna
hear angie&lars in munich olympiahalle,after i paid 123euros!
03-01-03 12:05 PM
marko and where is can�t you hear me knocking?
03-01-03 12:23 PM
Monkey Woman There always will be unhappy fans, whatever the Stones play. Someone's least favorite song is someone else's most cherished tune!

I for one would be pleased to get that kind of setlist in Europe this summer. But I would also like to hear other songs sometime, like 'Paint It Black', '2000 Years From Home', 'Out Of Control', 'Saint Of Me', that weren't played yet this tour. Or rarely played gems like 'She Smiled Sweetly', 'Neighbors' or 'Thru and Thru'...
As they'll play different venues at major European cities, they'll probably give us more variety, as they did in the States. And they know that European cities have seen them so many times already that the fans aspire to a few challenges in the realm of set-lists...

P.S. 'Where is CYHMK?' you ask. It's been played on Feb 25th in Melbourne:
http://novogate.com/board/968/142790-1.html
03-01-03 12:31 PM
F505 Yes what happened to all the beautiful songs: worried about you, she smiled sweetly, ain't too proud to beg, hand of fate, torned and frayed, dance part 1, heart of stone, stray cat blues????? Come ooooooonnnnnn!!!
[Edited by F505]
03-01-03 12:45 PM
Moonisup F505

most of the songs you mention are I think clubsongs
03-01-03 12:55 PM
Monkey Woman About the opener: JJF was previously used in the club shows this tour, but not in arenas.
Before that, JJF was the opener during the No Security tour (1999). It was then the 1st time since the 1969-1970 tours of America and Europe. Thanks to Time Is On Our Side website for the info!
http://www.timeisonourside.com/start.html
03-01-03 01:19 PM
marko Well they did can�t you hear me knocking in usa,nearly
every arena show,also in few stadium shows,and they did
more songs,21 or 22.I don�t understant why they cut the set
list everytime they leave usa?Maybe we don�t pay enough?
They knocking,what 2 times in australia?last nights set list
had only 2 songs i haven�t heard live.if you can�t rock me
and don�t stop.I usually don�t wanna whine,but these aussie
set list been really boring.
03-01-03 02:25 PM
midnightmagic Yea, but I am sure it was fun to watch. Be thankful people! It is the fucking Stones dude.
03-01-03 05:02 PM
Lazy Bones I always thought Midnight Rambler on the b-stage was the best place for it. Here it is again. More reviews..?
03-01-03 05:10 PM
woodywoodpecker AHHHHH! I must say at least you got Midnight Rambler!
Not the strongest set list I must say.
03-01-03 05:13 PM
woodywoodpecker Bjorn,

Ronnie did hurt his finger on the 25th so perhaps it's getting worse or just hasnt healed yet.
03-01-03 05:34 PM
Daethgod we got thru and Thru the other night in Melb

on paper the setlists may look boring, but at the gig they ROCK !

crowd once again was PATHETIC... i was in row A just above B Stage and as the B Stage music stated up i jumped up clapping and was shaking my groove thang, i gestured to th ecrowd to ' get up !.. it's showtime ! '
no-one moved..

then some fat arsed peckerhead started poking me and my girl telling us to sit down..
i swung around and yelled, dude.. it's the Rolling Stones.. get up !!
his reply was, we wanna sit and enjoy the show...

i met some great fun rabid staones fans at tehse shows, and unfortunately i also met some suit wearing fat corporate sit down sheeeet-heads !

hey but me and my crew had a blast !!
03-01-03 05:42 PM
Monkey Woman Thanks for the review, Daethgod! It's great to have the point of view of fans from Down Under.
Too bad about the sit-down crew, though! But as you've shown, nothing can stop 'fun rabid Stones fans'!
03-01-03 09:09 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
marko wrote:
i really must say,what a boring set list!You aussies got
the worst set lists of the tour so far.I really don�t wanna
hear angie&lars in munich olympiahalle,after i paid 123euros!

Is Olympiahalle a Club? Then rest assured, you won't.

And you'd be *begging* to hear "All Down The Line" and the umpteenth Exile night if you were there for any of them. I love that song. In fact... I think I'll put on the MP3 from LA Friday that I have of that song.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh... you can tell when Ronnie Wood & Keith Richards like a song. They destroy it. If Ronnie played any better on that number his guitar would catch on fire.

-tSYX --- Woncha be my little baby for awhile?
03-02-03 06:59 AM
Monkey Woman Reviews of last night by fmk and gypsymofo can be found here:
http://novogate.com/board/968/143886-1.html
Seems that Mick's voice is giving him worries. Though he still gave his best, as a true soldier!
03-02-03 07:02 AM
Monkey Woman And another great review by fmk:
http://novogate.com/board/968/143798-1.html
03-02-03 07:05 AM
Monkey Woman Oops! Sorry folks, the awesome review cited above is by gypsymofo60, of course!
03-02-03 11:44 AM
Martha
CYHMK was not played at every arena gig in the states.

How did Ronnie hurt his finger?

Cool tht they opened with JJF it has only been an opener for the club gigs until now...for this tour I mean.

Cool..just enjoy it people...enjoy it!
03-02-03 12:31 PM
Toronto Tom I agree that Midnight Rambler is nice on the B-Stage but at the same time if you are not close to the B STage this song is a key part of the show being the extended song and can take away from others seeing the show if they don't get to enjoy this song from the main stage.

03-02-03 03:28 PM
woodywoodpecker [quote]Martha wrote:

CYHMK was not played at every arena gig in the states.

How did Ronnie hurt his finger?

Hello Martha,

On the 25th I had my binoculars focused on Woody, he went for a note on the bottom E String and quickly let go in pain. I Think perhaps he cut his finger on the string! And if you play ya self it is very painful becuase everytime you use that finger you hit the cut.OUCH""
03-03-03 05:04 AM
fmk438j I was going to do a review but gypsymofo summed it up ptreey well and I haven't got much to add.

Mick worked hard all night, doing his best for the worst of audiences. Before angie he came up to the mic while cutting his nail with a pair of scissors and said it was time to slow it down a bit.

All Down the Line was a highlight. Ronnie did a great slide lead. Maybe he was feeling good having that sore finger out of use for the song.

Keith did a suprising thing and dedicated The Worst to 'Terry' who had thrown up a CD compilation the first night and Kieth had apparently appreciated it. Terry was standing on the end of row 2 and his appreciation was clear - the guy couldn't believe keith was talking him from the stage. After The Worst keith asked something like "How was that Terry?".

Mick's voice was having problems but he held in there.

Bstage was nice. I was on a downer though because I got busted by a roadie who told me to put my camera away. I was particulalry sad because I had figured out how to better use my camera settings to get better shots so that sucked.

Mick and a couple others walked off the bstage without bowing, leaving keith and the others laghing that they were doing it by themselves. Apparently Shane Warne was in the Audience and Mick made some pointing towards him at one stage. Also Germaine Greer was there (that's about as cool as Aus celebs get lol).

Amazing how quick the place gets dismantled after the show finishes.

As I already said in another thread we went to the stones hotel bar and hung around but was only chuck and daryl and bernard. I guess the the stones are too smart for that.
03-03-03 07:04 AM
gypsymofo60 LOL!!!!!!! Where was Germaine? I'd've given her a momento, and I'd 've given Warneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy a fucking suppository not to be forgotten........Hey! Fmk my wife says at the time who the fucks Terry? and I'm going like....Fuck love!....Do I look like I know everything, who was Terry?
03-03-03 07:08 AM
gypsymofo60 It doesn't matter who posts first Fmk, you must do you're review...these things matter...there are things I will have missed, you must, what's the word?......ENHANCE.
03-04-03 05:51 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Some great pix provided by fmk348j, thanks! A LOT!!!

fmk348j with the setlist - check the "t"

Starbuck and friends

Setlist backwards

Our Australian friends

03-04-03 06:24 AM
fmk438j Actually only myself and mottrush are australian. Richard is a New Zealander and Roberto is an Italian turned Dutchmen.
03-04-03 04:44 PM
Mottrush Bit late with this but I've had a shitload of work to catch up on after having a week of following the Stones.

Can't add much to the great reviews by fmk, gypsymofo, Daethgod, etc except to say that I loved all three Melbourne gigs and thought the setlists were great ( although a bit short). Over the three shows we had 59 songs (34 different ones). Energy levels shown by the boys were incredible. The atmosphere on the B stage is something to behold! One of the best versions of Rambler you could possibly imagine on Saturday night!!

It was great meeting up with fmk, Richard ( New Zealand) and Roberto (Holland) during the week. I thought I was a hard core fan but these guys are something else!

Needless to say the highlight of the week was getting up on the stage after Thursday's show (thanks Richard) and meeting Johnny Starbuck of the crew. These guys were very friendly and certainly didn't mind us grilling them for about an hour after the show.

Thanks fmk for the great pics and great company. I'll be getting a few of the shots framed along with the pick! Pity you got busted with the camera on Saturday.

Managed to get "hand slaps" from Mick on Thursday and Keith on Saturday during the B stage sets.. more highlights.

Can't get over how goofy Ronnie is. If this guy is off the booze he must be taking something else!!

The guys are certainly performing better than Voodoo Lounge ( and that tour was brilliant). Can't wait for my next show in Sweden.

Cheers,

Mottrush

[Edited by Mottrush]
03-05-03 09:00 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
fmk438j wrote:
Actually only myself and mottrush are australian. Richard is a New Zealander and Roberto is an Italian turned Dutchmen.

Thanx! Nice to see my 2 friends Richard and Roberto in those pix!!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST