ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

日本の弛緩 / The Stones relaxing in Japan!
By our friend Minko!
あなたにMinko 非常に感謝しなさい

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rod Laver Arena Melbourne Feb 27 setlist, pix and reviews Part 1 Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-27-03 09:35 AM
crashbandicoot001
01. Street Fighting Man
02. Start Me Up
03. You Got Me Rocking
04. Don't Stop
05. Monkey Man
06. RUBY TUESDAY (1st time this tour!!!)
07. You Can't Always Get What You Want
08. Midnight Rambler (a smokin' version)
09. Tumbling Dice
*Intros*
10. Thru And Thru
11. Happy
12. Sympathy For The Devil
13. Gimme Shelter
14. Honky Tonk Women
15. Jumping Jack Flash
*B-Stage*
16. Mannish Boy
17. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
18. Brown Sugar
*Main Stage - Encore*
19. Satisfaction

...only 19, I know , but bloody fantastic...

...with thanks to IORR for the photos...

02-27-03 09:43 AM
Nellcote RUBY TUESDAY!!!!
YES!!
Bring me Ruby Lisa!

Over & Out!!!
02-27-03 10:11 AM
Daethgod what a show

just got back

wicked seats and a wicked night

Keef doing thru and thru rocked, tho half the peckerheads sat down

02-27-03 10:14 AM
nankerphelge Doesn't Thru & Thru play well live! I was surprised how well they pulled off that haunting feel of it! And Ruby Tuesday!! How did that sound??
02-27-03 10:35 AM
marko Looks like Nanky needs more!Are you addicted or anything?
02-27-03 11:48 AM
wkoetke They seem to have ditched the "theme" section. First it was 4 songs, then it was down to 3, now it's gone. Oh well. No If You Can't Rock Me or Can't You Hear Me Knocking, either, two highlights for me. Glad I saw the US tour instead of this.
02-27-03 12:56 PM
parmeda yeah Marko...Nanky looks all excited, doesn't he?
02-27-03 01:04 PM
Martha Ruby Tuesday makes it up to 69 songs!

Yay!

Gotta hear that boot someday!
02-27-03 01:21 PM
winter 19 songs is an embarrassment. They should be doing 25 per night. I am sorry, I am not often critical about the Stones (save a few occassional jabs at the Harlem Shuffle), but I'd be pissed if I shelled out cash for tickets and they cut the show short. If Mick is having vocal problems/illness - that's one thing, but otherwise, what is the rationale for cutting shows short - easy, they don't feel like playing more songs! I'm glad our friends down under got one new tune last night, but the shortening of the shows, coupled with the predictability of the set lists means one thing - cruise control.

F*@k, if there gonna drop a couple of songs, why not replace them with surprises (e.g., winter, jig saw puzzle, slave, factory girl and the 80 or so other songs they have rehearsed and not played this tour) - even a hot rocks casual fan would agree that a sloppy song that they've never heard is better than no song at all.

wintah
[Edited by winter]
[Edited by winter]
02-27-03 03:22 PM
Nellcote My dear comrade Wintah;

Let us hope that by the UK shows they are not down to just playing the B stage, then cutting for the door.
Possibly, the Aussie's are getting longer versions of the songs, making up for the lack of tunes?

Are you game to leading the charge to RS.COM, to file a protest? I still have the contact there who assisted with the meet/greet, when he moved the entire row for you know who? I think this is ripe for this....But, there again I could be wrong...
02-27-03 04:09 PM
winter Nellcote,

Yes I will lead the charge. Perhaps this will lead to Mick anointing me new musical director of the band. Chuck your fired! The first set list under my term will be as follows:

Starters:

1. Might as Well Get Juiced (just like MSG a few yrs back)
2. Have You Seen Your Mother Baby
2. If You Can't Rock Me
3. She Was Hot
4. All Down the Line

Funky Set

5. Dance Pt. 1
6. Slave
7. Fingerprint File

Acoustic/Country Set

8. Prodigal Son
9. Almost hear you sigh
10. Sweethearts Together
11. Sitting on a Fence
12. Dear Doctor
13. Factory Girl
14. Let it Bleed

Keith:

15. All About You
16. Little T&A

Mixed Rockers:

17. Midnight Rambler
18. Crazy Mamma
19. Street Fighting Man or Gimme Shelter

Ballads:

20. Worried About You
21. WINTER

B-Stage - Blues Time

21. Mannish Boy
22. [any cover of a tune off of the Muddy Waters Anthology]
23. Little Queenie

Back to the Main Stage:

24. Can't You Hear Me Knockin
25. Brown Sugar

Encores:

26. Jumpin Jack Flash
27. Get Off of My Cloud

Thank You Very Much!

[Edited by winter]
[Edited by winter]
02-27-03 04:14 PM
LadyJane I hereby second the nomination of winter as musical director of the Stones!! What a setlist!! OUTSTANDING!!

LadyJ.
02-27-03 04:21 PM
Nellcote LJ;

You now will have this chap into a bonifide frenzy.
I second the motion. Letters to Michael Cohl shall be drafted, sent by FedEx to the continent down under as we speak.

Wintah, my Zydeco friend, back your bags, be ready for
your Crock Dundee trip, mate!
02-27-03 04:21 PM
winter Thanks LJ:

I just realized that I have them playing Dear Doctor twice, fine by me, but I should probably change that - how about almost hear you sigh,

wintah
02-27-03 04:24 PM
winter Nellcote:

I am crackin a frickin Fosters as I type-

wintah
02-27-03 04:26 PM
LadyJane
quote:
winter wrote:
Thanks LJ:

I just realized that I have them playing Dear Doctor twice, fine by me, but I should probably change that - how about almost hear you sigh,

wintah

You're very welcome!

I love "Almost Hear You Sigh"!! "Country Honk" and/or "Far Away Eyes" would also fit!!

LadyJ.
02-27-03 04:34 PM
winter LJ:

Since this is just the Stadium Set List, I'll add those for my first Arena Show. You wouldn't believe the theatre set.

In fact, with those choices as alternatives, you can be Vice Musical Director. We'll pick set lists by committee. Nellcote, you're invited as well.

wintah
02-27-03 04:37 PM
LadyJane You're making this cold Wintah day in Buffalo much brighter, my friend!! Just name the date and time and I'm there!!

LadyJ.
Assistant Musical Director,
The Rolling Stones
02-27-03 04:42 PM
Nellcote But now, will this type of set list sell ducats?
JB, could you speculate on what the gross would be?

BTW, I will call Peter Rudge for his opinion.
I think the inclusion of Claudine would cap this off smartly. Poor, poor Claudine...Shot him once, shot him twice....

Might check with Ted Nugent for the true "feel"
He was pissa on Hannity & Colmes Tues night...
02-27-03 05:35 PM
Daethgod heya

i have a feeling that the shows numbers may be down as the songs are longer

show 1 in melb we had a freaking wild all out jammed up version of CYHMK, plus Keef did Slipping Away
and last night we rocked to a blistering M Rambler and Keef did a long Thru and Thru

i'm guessing, but maybe we are scoring a few longer songs

and Ruby Tuesday was awesome, a fabbo surprise for all us Stoners.
At end of show i saw Dutchy,fmk and NZ the fan man on stage having a peruse... lucky s.o.b. s !!!

02-27-03 10:13 PM
fmk438j First let me quote from my review of Tuesday.

"a great brown Sugar (so great for the Bstage, although I dream of mannish boy one day)"

Haa! What can I say but thankyou!! (I made I sign with this written on it for last night, although it was a bit hard to read as I rushed it).

It's weird attending a show and coming on here only to be told by people who weren't there why it wasn't any good. Ok, fair enough, we are getting shorter sets and of course I would love an extra 3 songs like you guys got, but man, we in oz have suffered too much stones-absence to let a thing like that bring us down. They're here and they're playing! For only the second time in 30 years!! Like Jet the support band say, "Take it or leave it, yeah".

Met up with Mottrush early in the afternoon, we continued the good times a rod laver.

Briefly met ozstones and Daethgod on the floor. Also linked up with Roberto, Rcichard and his girl.

Upgraded my gold in the heights to a gold on the floor which was a good start. I got talking with this youngish fan and he had got that night's setlist. I didn't pause to think whether or not I wanted to see it, I just read it. I'm happy I did. Knowing the set made me relaxed and I really enjoyed the show more I think because I was never preoccuppied thinking "I wonder if they'll do X".

I spent the night at the B-stage.

To me this was the best show I have seen, I was knocked out. *But* every single person I talked to after the show thought Tuesday's was better. So I don't know if it was because I was in a good mood last night or what, but to me they were magic. The sound where I was was perfect. I even preferred it to my 8th row on Tuesday.

Ruby Tuesday was excellent. An additional keyboard came on to do the recorder part. Maybe someone knows who the player was but I didn't (I couldn't see him real well tucked away in the dark next to chuck), and I can't remember him being introduced.

Rambler. What can I say but I love this song and it is the highlight of the show for me. Mick really working hard. He seemed in good spirits last night. Mick was trying to get the audience fired up right through the show but we are a bunch of wet rags I'm afraid. There's always a few who are nuts like us, but for every one of us there are 50 who look like they are watching TV. I have no excuses for it, it's just the Australian culture, laid back in life. Maybe we don't deserve 22 songs you know? Half the people look like they'd rather be getting back to they're beds than stick around for another 3 songs. That's not to say the crowds aren't enjoying the shows, they just don't show it as openly or as spectacularly as other crowds I guess.

HTW was great. I never get sick of this. The guitars were so great all night I thought, especially for HTW. SO great that Chuck's little piece was almost drowned out by Keith! It was great, he was just lost in the guitar sound from what I heard. Are there any more words in english that mean "great"? What about "really really good", "rippa", "Fantastic" as Roberto says.

Sympathy cooked as usual. Mick did these great bobbing swaying moves right behind keith, bouncing back and forth over his shoulders to see the audeince to the side.

Mick's daughter Georgia (the young one?) came with her minders and sat inside the Bstage barrier. Nice to see Mick give a little nod in here direction.
Apparently (other people told me this after, but now that they mention it I can remember) Ronnie was fooling around way too much for Mick and Keith's likeing. This may explain why Keith was fairly subdued on the B-stage (imo), not interacting as much as other shows, not really coming up to the edge or anything. Ronnie flicked a pic at this guy's head and it must of hit him in the face because for the rest of the B-stage Ronnie is doing these big gestures to the guy like he is being hit in the head. At one point he screwed up one eye and held the pic there as if to say it got lodged in his eye.

It was good to have satisfaction as the encore, nice change.

It feels like the crowd doesn't take the return to the main stage as an encore, because most nights everyoneone is cheering at the end as if they want an encore. I dream they would actually come back on one day, but I know thsi won't happen.

I feel I have to put a disclaimer at the end of each review because I don't even trust my own judgement in a way (I mean I know if I loved a show or not, but maybe when I listen to them all on boots I may say this or that was a *better* performance, but I enjoyed this other show more on the night). So many factors go into the feel I get from a show and this means that I come away with often conflicting ideas on the show than do others. So who knows.

For me all these song are great songs and to see them last night was my post-enmore highlight for sure.

Corgi, I went to the Depot between 6:30 and 7 (I forgot the time you said). I didn't see you but I did enjoy the stones tunes in there. I ddin't stay very long because this place didn't sell VB. This is the 2nd place in Melbourne that doesn't sell it, this is bizarre! Every NSW pub has it but when you come to the place of it's birth it's scarce. It's just like the Fosters story but on a national rather than international scale.

Looking forward to Saturday and Gypsymofo's attendance!

[Edited by fmk438j]
[Edited by fmk438j]
02-27-03 10:38 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Great review, fmk!

quote:
fmk438j wrote:
Ronnie was fooling around way too much for Mick and Keith's likeing. This may explain why Keith was fairly subdued on the B-stage (imo), not interacting as much as other shows, not really coming up to the edge or anything. Ronnie flicked a pic at this guy's head and it must of hit him in the face because for the rest of the B-stage Ronnie is doing these big gestures to the guy like he is being hit in the head. At one point he screwed up one eye and held the pic there as if to say it got lodged in his eye.

Grrr... Ronnie is obviously the man, but he can't let this newfound fame go to his head! All the Australian papers interviewing him and calling him "The revitalized Ron Wood" must have gotten to him - I think that's what got him and Keith so angry at each other towards the end of the last leg - he was playing and Keith wasn't, then he felt like he suddenly could yell at Keith for not playing - Yes, it's annoying, but *no one* yells at Keith Richards for not doing anything, *especially* the new guy (for pretty much the second time - playing with the Stones sober is a new experience).

I always felt bad for Ronnie in terms of his strange relationship with Keith. The cherry-picker hijacking where Mick almost killed Ronnie for being unable to negotiate Keith's return is a good example: he snagged Mick's cherry-picker and hung over the crowd for an eight-minute solo in "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and let Mick take it all out on Ronnie before coming back.

But in return, Keith carried Ronnie through a lot of '89, '94 and '97 shows - although there're plenty of shows where neither of them are fit to carry each other!

Ronnie's a riot, sure, and when he does it so that it doesn't get in the way of the playing, it's great - but even I noticed on the B-Stage that he gets so caught up in the crowd he doesn't concentrate - he left Keith to combat the Leavell Menace in "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" in Boston on 1/12 while he danced about with no pretense of playing the guitar.

In conclusion - you continue to rock, Ronnie, but how 'bout making sure you keep social interactions so that they don't limit the damn music!

-tSYX --- I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger...
02-27-03 10:57 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
fmk438j wrote:

Looking forward to Saturday and Gypsymofo's attendance!

[Edited by fmk438j]
[Edited by fmk438j]

I have it on very good authority, that gypsymofo is looking forward to Saturday as well.....No VB at The Depot??? That can't be right!!!!!!Laid back Aussie audiences, as we spoke about on the way back from the airport are just the way things are, sad but true. If you're down front with the ravers cool! If you're up in the gods, or in between it's like-" Where's my bedtime cocoa?" I AINT SITTIN' DOWN FOR NO FUCKER!!!!!!! See ya at The Duke.
02-28-03 02:33 AM
woodywoodpecker Sounds like another great night!
Wish I coulda been there again Damn!
02-28-03 03:46 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
woodywoodpecker wrote:
Sounds like another great night!
Wish I coulda been there again Damn!

Where ya been Woody?
02-28-03 05:14 AM
Moonisup
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I hereby second the nomination of winter as musical director of the Stones!! What a setlist!! OUTSTANDING!!

LadyJ.

Hey!! Chuck is the musical director! and no one else!!
02-28-03 06:25 AM
Honky Tonk Man Im feelin' like a Bitch today, so i am going to moan that the show didn't evan last 2 hours!

Im sure the Show was fan-fuckin'-tastic but its the principal of the matter. North America and Canada get 21 or 22 song and didn't Gilletee Stadium get 24 songs? So why cant our wild colonial freinds get a full length show?

Anyway, RUBY TUESDAY!

FUCKING AWSOME

Alex
02-28-03 02:08 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Download and listen some audio samples here http://novogate.com/board/968/143560-1.html

Thanks crashbandicoot001
02-28-03 06:53 PM
CS
02-28-03 09:49 PM
corgi37 Its taken me 2 days to post this, such was the effect its had on me. It was a top night, but there were some very worrying things going on, which i will get to later. Wifey and i arrived at the Depot for some cleansing ales along with some other fans. 40 Licks played over the stereo as i tolerated the awful sydney beer on tap and endure wifey beating me at pool. Spoke to some fans who saw them in Sydney and i was relly stressing out waiting for show-time. met up with a mate at Rod Laver and we chatted and had our last smokes. Entering the cauldron was a wonderful feeling. 1st impression of the stage has me severely under-impressed. I know it was all about the music, but shit, john mellencamp has more of a set up 15 years ago. I read the screen was smaller than usual due to the height of the roof, but from the pictures i have seen, it looked about 1/2 its usual size. Our seats were ideal. 8 rows from the front, on the floor, ronnies side. I liked the crowd. A very good mixture of oldies and youngies. Behind me sat a hot blonde surfer type teen with her equally hot yummy mummy. As the lights went down, the site of thousands of flashing stones tongues made me feel all warm and fuzzy. BANG! their on. the place erupted as street fighting man was ripped into. It was a great version. Now, here was the first thing i noticed. Ronnie seemed so fucking out of it. he played, like, 3 seconds of guitar on sfm. most of his time was making bizarre faces at people, pointing, waiving, giving the finger. When his actions continued for about 5 songs, i was getting a bit worried. Mick asked him if he wanted time out!!!!! No joke, after about the 3rd song, i thought the gig was going to be cancelled. It seemed to me that he was having massive guitar hassles. It may have been his receiver or the stage amps cutting in and out. Ronnie was obviously getting very flustered. But, i gotta say, it wasnt just that. He may be off the grog, but it looked like he was tripping, and big time!! I thought we got a great set. Ruby Tuesday was a sweet surprise, and perfomed really well. Rambler was the highlight for me. It just so fucing awesome. It was like a freight train barrelling at full speed. you've all read the set list and saw we only got 9 songs, but with rambler, YCAGWYW and Sympathy, thats over 20 minutes of music for just 3 songs. Shit, maybe closer to 25. THru and thru was great. It really kicked along. Keith played some brilliant guitar, really freaking out (kinda doing a neil young distortion fest!). Brilliant. I didnt think much of this song, but at least it wasnt the worst! Sure, some folk sat down, but alot stayed up. I remained standing the whole gig. Now, i took zillions of photos. My new digi cam was great. Security was bloody everwhere. Wifey teamed up with another chick in front of us, and was scored a spot along the b stage ramp. As jagger took his stroll i stood on my seat and snapped a pic of him. It was a dumb move. A yellow jacketed fucker grabbed me and ordered i put my camera away. I thought i was going to get booted out, but i put it away in my jacket. Just then i looked up and saw wifey get her hand touched by keith!!!!! The bitch!!!!! It could have been me, it should have been me! I could have been a contender!! STTTTTTEEEEEEEEELLLLLLAAAAAAA!. ANyway, i bolted over to the ramp. She was freaking out. Lucky cow. Ronnie touched her fingers too, but i was still angry at him. B stage was good. Mannish BOy! Holy el mocambo, batman. IORR, a tired song i hate, sounded great. Really rocked. And what the fuck, Ronnie played a chord! usual trusty version of brown sugar, and they were gone. With JJflash already being played (and what a top version) i knew satisfaction was next. man, they came out and really ripped the heads off the crowd. It was a really hot version. So, all in all, it was a great show. Some observations: 1. Chuck was way down in the mix, except for acceptable songs like honky tonk (its HIS song now) and fleeting tinkling bits in Rambler. 2. Keith had really slowed down. Not once did he run. He stutted. Got down on his knees 2-3 times, but that was it. But, by god, he held the whole show together. His playing was brilliant. 3. I spent nearly $1,000 for this night, ya think a couple more spotlights could have been bought, or maybe an extra 2 songs, but thats just small gripes. 4. The crowd was really good. Sure, some sat down now and then, but for the most part, they were really fired up all night. 5. Ronnie Wood is finished. He may have been a re-born legend in the U.S. but i think its over for him. I am sure he wouldnt even remember the show. When his guitar DID work, he contented himself with playing it about 3 times per song. He preferred to do his bizarre faces, grin like a maniac, smoke, shit, do everything but play. I could hardly hear him on happy. He was more concerned about spinning around on his chair than playing. Some one should give him a guinness. All in all though, he didnt ruin my show. jagger was awesome, Keith was THE man, Charlie was great for 2 reasons. 1. He actually fucked up on one song.It was only for a heart-beat, and he quickly recovered, but it was funny to see his and keith have a smile when he did it. 2. He actually did a 5-10 second drum solo!!! Now, if i can figure out how to put my pics up, some came out very good. If i cant do it soon, i wont bother as the moment will be lost. Hope tonights last melb show is good for all those going.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST