ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Give me two Keef!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: why does mick still sound so great and bob dylan so bad Return to archive
3rd March 2006 09:25 PM
aftergloow they are about the same age right? and they both had similar lifestyles as far as drugs and stuff, so why is mick's singing still so strong and bob's so rough and growly? Don't get me wrong I love Bob, but it is amazing how good mick sounds these days compared to bob.
3rd March 2006 09:47 PM
Scottfree Easy, Bob always sounded tecnically horrible, but when you dismiss the technicalities he's brilliant....
[Edited by Scottfree]
[Edited by Scottfree]
3rd March 2006 09:48 PM
kath assuming this is a rhetorial question, i'd offer up 1) well, they've always had different voices as they are not the same person, 2) sing different kinds of music adn 3) mick hasn't had vegetation growing around his heart and faced death a couple times. those are just the three that pop into mind..i'm sure there are lots more....
3rd March 2006 11:17 PM
vox12string Bob's used cocaine a lot longer than Mick
4th March 2006 12:09 AM
keefjunkie bob acknowledges that he isnt 26 anymore..

mick does not
4th March 2006 03:06 AM
PeerQueer Don't fuck with Bob.

He da man.
4th March 2006 06:57 AM
Prodigal Son Well, they actually don't really have similar drug histories. Outside of some chiba now and then, Mick has been clean and a big workout freak since the early 80s. Bob never abused drugs, though he was on lots of amphetamines during the mid-60s electric period, but he drank heavily ala Keith up until the mid-90s apparently. And he nearly died with that heart infection in '97 which can't be good for you. And he's never stopped smoking except for when he had that honey-voiced Nashville Skyline period (1967-70). And lastly, Dylan never had a good technical voice (though he can emote quite well in a typical folk style) or looked as good as Mick.
4th March 2006 07:42 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Bob always sounded OK to me. In fact today (sat 7;30 am EST) seems like a good morning to put on some Bob on the record machine.
4th March 2006 09:59 AM
Martha Compare? WTF?

Bob can emote like no one I've ever watched....there is no one to compare him to. Once I got passed his gravely voice I have been able to reach profound depths of emotion in the presence of his music. He can take me where no one else can.

I went straight to heaven on earth just last night listening to The Point gig (thanks again Gary).

Mick is bionic and unbelievable on all levels. There is simply no way to compare these two people.

No more comparisons!!!! Do you hear me!

ROTFLOL!
4th March 2006 10:00 AM
Martha
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Bob always sounded OK to me. In fact today (sat 7;30 am EST) seems like a good morning to put on some Bob on the record machine.

I KNEW I really liked you TTM! Indeed I am following suit....his Field Recordings are spinnin'!

xxoo,
MM
4th March 2006 10:24 AM
gypsy
quote:
aftergloow wrote:
they are about the same age right? and they both had similar lifestyles as far as drugs and stuff, so why is mick's singing still so strong and bob's so rough and growly? Don't get me wrong I love Bob, but it is amazing how good mick sounds these days compared to bob.

That's got to be one of the dumbest questions ever.
4th March 2006 01:37 PM
kath leave it to our gypsy to cut to the chaste....
4th March 2006 01:51 PM
keefjunkie no one puts so much emotion into their singing as dylan does

no comparison
4th March 2006 02:06 PM
pdog
quote:
kath wrote:
assuming this is a rhetorial question, i'd offer up 1) well, they've always had different voices as they are not the same person, 2) sing different kinds of music adn 3) mick hasn't had vegetation growing around his heart and faced death a couple times. those are just the three that pop into mind..i'm sure there are lots more....

Exactly what I was going to say...
5th March 2006 02:29 AM
exile Bob had a motorcycle acciendent many years ago. His voice was never the same again.

5th March 2006 07:18 AM
exile ...Mick wasnt in the travelling wilburys either
5th March 2006 11:18 AM
Gazza ..all of the above
5th March 2006 03:32 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:
I went straight to heaven on earth just last night listening to The Point gig (thanks again Gary).

I gotta ask, Martha, 26th or 27th?
5th March 2006 09:10 PM
Soldatti
quote:
vox12string wrote:
Bob's used cocaine a lot longer than Mick

Straight to the point.
6th March 2006 12:42 AM
Taptrick
I love Bob but...gravely voice? Did no one here even mention cigarettes? It's funny the terms we come up with to describe 10-20 ounces of vibrating flem and tar in someones throat. Keith too.

6th March 2006 01:40 AM
MrPleasant ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz
6th March 2006 10:11 AM
Martha
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

I gotta ask, Martha, 26th or 27th?

Hi darlin'! 26th...it continues to astonish me...I have to hear it daily....:-)
6th March 2006 10:14 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:
Hi darlin'! 26th...it continues to astonish me...I have to hear it daily....:-)

Beauty. I've been slow through the Brixton shows. I shall fast forward to the 26th Point show to witness the hipe...

I'm holding you to it!
6th March 2006 10:16 AM
Factory Girl
Martha, what is this Point Gig that you speak of??
6th March 2006 10:19 AM
Martha
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:

Martha, what is this Point Gig that you speak of??

Let me send it to you shall I?! :-)
glencar Dublin's Point Depot theater. I saw the Stones there.
glencar BTW I think I've found the perfect playmate for IanBillen. IanBillen meet aftergloow...
Martha Dublin, Ireland
The Point Theatre

November 26, 2005

1. Maggie's Farm
2. Tell Me That It Isn't True (Bob on harp - center stage)
3. Watching The River Flow (Bob on harp)
4. Lay, Lady, Lay
5. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
6. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine (Bob on harp)
7. Cold Irons Bound
8. Shelter From The Storm
9. Floater (Too Much To Ask) (Donnie on violin, Bob on harp)
10. Highway 61 Revisited
11. Ballad Of Hollis Brown (acoustic) (Donnie on banjo)
12. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
13. The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll (acoustic)
(Donnie on electric mandolin, Bob on harp)
14. Summer Days

(1st encore)
15. Like A Rolling Stone
16. All Along The Watchtower

(2nd encore)
17. Forever Young
(Thanks to Ken Cowley and Artur Jarosinski for the phone calls and Tom and Zac Kline for the e-mail)

Band Members
Bob Dylan - keyboard, harp
Stu Kimball - lead guitar
Denny Freeman - guitar
Donnie Herron - violin, banjo, electric mandolin, pedal steel, lap steel
Tony Garnier - bass
George Recile - drums

6th March 2006 10:21 AM
Martha glencar...your package is on the way....:-)
6th March 2006 11:47 AM
glencar Thank you much, Martha Mellencamp!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)