ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mixing Little Queenie for Ya Ya's - January 1970
Stand Still from "Gimme Shelter"
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ron Wood Booze Blurb Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
03-02-04 04:03 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
WOODY DIDNT "SNORT" THRU A TOILET PAPER ROLL.HE INHALED FREEBASE COCAINE THRU THE ROLL...

is that what is going on in the pic below..?

03-02-04 06:07 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Ronnie is a legend he can handle a few beers and a few rolls of coke!

slight flaw in your argument,Zeeta. The fact is hes not the legend you think he is because as evidenced by the deterioration of his playing throughout the 90's he clearly CAN'T handle it. Thats why he went into a clinic in 2002 before Mick let him anywhere near a stage that year.

>You can't be taking this shit seriously!?!? As I already said for the non-Brits, the Mail is what usually wraps around Ronnie's choice of coke snorting tubes! It is real bullshit eg they ran the front page headline 2 weeks ago of "Bin Laden Caught" 'nuff said.

well, I agree the fact that its a pretty spite driven UK tabloid is reason enough to doubt its sincerity and motives but at the same time (and as TTM hints at above), tabloids are capable of breaking exclusives too. (as for the Bin Laden story, that came from a newswire source I think - they just speculated the way any other paper would have done)

I dont think this story is any way unbelievable. I had my doubts about Ronnie's ability to stay sober based on his ludicrous attempts to clean up four years ago and the fact that he appeared to have had a small number of 'relapses' into his old ways during the European leg of the last tour, going by eye witness accounts to his playing (Olympia for example).

In their favour,The Mail does seem to have someone "in the know" close to the band feeding them gossipy stories on a regular basis which they get before any of the other tabloids do. Whilst I'm not saying they're on the money every time, I dont recall any of those being completely unfounded.

>Don't try and preach, if Ronnie fuckin WANTS to get loaded and have a good time, then let the crazy bastard! I aint gonna think worse of him!

you might feel a bit different when reality sets in and we're mourning his demise (and possibly that of the band) in a few months if these reports are any way accurate.

Fuck this "live fast and die young" glamourising shit. It belongs in the dark ages. I'm a fan of these guys - I want them around when they're 100. This is someone's life at stake here. It shouldnt be trivialised.

Fuckssake, I wasn't "glourising" drinking and druggin - it doesn't NEED any glamourising from me!
My point was it doesn't fucking matter what we say anyway, he's gonna do what he wants! Yeah, it won't be good if he gets loaded all the time but, just be prepared he may well do just that.

I could never give the Mail any favours mate, despite what you say. It's full of shit and champions the middle classed racists of the UK.

03-02-04 08:15 AM
nankerphelge Yeah -- and to answer the question about "who started the glamorizing of addictions" -- the Stones did in good measure. Well maybe not so much the addiction part -- but certainly the carefree, party-it-up atmosphere that can lead to addiction.

But that aspect of the Stones certainly impacted me in my formative years!
It still does.
You can call it an addiction or whatever, but when I put Exile on, I grab a beer and a spliffy!
And while I don't mean to trivialize addiction, let's not forget that these boys brought a lot of this on themselves!
03-02-04 09:08 AM
Zeeta Thanks Nanky matey I thought I was on my own on this one and nearly made the call to the priory clinic!!

Live fast die young = The Rolling Stones

What did you think they were gonna do when the hit their 50s and 60s?"?

Fucking hang up their guitars?

Quit partying and all the vices that go with that and be in bed at 10:35 (or earlier depending on when the show finishes!)?

NO!

The circus rolls on, the parties go on and the tours will roll again, therefore so will Keith and Ronnie.

Obviously though shit happens and it is unfortunate for Ronnie that he can't keep off it.

If the Stones as a band HADN'T been live by the sword, die by the sword / live fast die young or whatever you wanna call it then we would 99.9% definitely not have had such albums as Exile, Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed.

These albums IMO could not have been made without a little spash of Jack Daniels, a few ounzes of weed and a sprinkling of coke on top.

It is in their legacy that people will get loaded when they listen to their music and therefore The Stones need to keep that danger about them - Keith and Ronnie anyway.

However, I wish Ronnie well and hope he can get his head straight to play WELL for The Stones.
03-02-04 12:04 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
He turned to alcohol after beating an addiction to cocaine.

How can you not love this man?!!

Goodness grief, the things that upset people on this here Rolling Stones board. Lucky for Ronnie, he didn't bare his right nipple at Kate Moss' bash, there'd be fucking hell to pay!

This isn't some violent drunk, no money, always between jobs, smacking his kids around. This is a multi-millionaire, world famous rock star, a man lucky enough to have never worked a day in his life, a man with absolutely no responsibilities or worries at all except showing up and playing guitar once in a blue moon, just finished a tour of the world with the likes of Sir Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, and now he wants to hang with his celeb friends, get blitzed and have a good time. The problem is what?
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH