ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mixing Little Queenie for Ya Ya's - January 1970
Stand Still from "Gimme Shelter"
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ron Wood Booze Blurb Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
03-01-04 04:34 PM
Gazza >Ronnie is a legend he can handle a few beers and a few rolls of coke!

slight flaw in your argument,Zeeta. The fact is hes not the legend you think he is because as evidenced by the deterioration of his playing throughout the 90's he clearly CAN'T handle it. Thats why he went into a clinic in 2002 before Mick let him anywhere near a stage that year.

>You can't be taking this shit seriously!?!? As I already said for the non-Brits, the Mail is what usually wraps around Ronnie's choice of coke snorting tubes! It is real bullshit eg they ran the front page headline 2 weeks ago of "Bin Laden Caught" 'nuff said.

well, I agree the fact that its a pretty spite driven UK tabloid is reason enough to doubt its sincerity and motives but at the same time (and as TTM hints at above), tabloids are capable of breaking exclusives too. (as for the Bin Laden story, that came from a newswire source I think - they just speculated the way any other paper would have done)

I dont think this story is any way unbelievable. I had my doubts about Ronnie's ability to stay sober based on his ludicrous attempts to clean up four years ago and the fact that he appeared to have had a small number of 'relapses' into his old ways during the European leg of the last tour, going by eye witness accounts to his playing (Olympia for example).

In their favour,The Mail does seem to have someone "in the know" close to the band feeding them gossipy stories on a regular basis which they get before any of the other tabloids do. Whilst I'm not saying they're on the money every time, I dont recall any of those being completely unfounded.

>Don't try and preach, if Ronnie fuckin WANTS to get loaded and have a good time, then let the crazy bastard! I aint gonna think worse of him!

you might feel a bit different when reality sets in and we're mourning his demise (and possibly that of the band) in a few months if these reports are any way accurate.

Fuck this "live fast and die young" glamourising shit. It belongs in the dark ages. I'm a fan of these guys - I want them around when they're 100. This is someone's life at stake here. It shouldnt be trivialised.
03-01-04 04:38 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
WASNT MARTHA BANNED OR QUIT OR SUMMINK?OPEN LETTERS TO THE WOOD FAMILY INDEED.

WTF? You never wish good on someone?
03-01-04 05:39 PM
Fiji Joe What's the big deal...I don't know about you, but, I prefer my favorite rock stars drink to excess
03-01-04 05:56 PM
Joey " What's the big deal...I don't know about you, but, I prefer my favorite rock stars drink to excess "

I would like to tickle you with my erect nipples .

03-01-04 06:14 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
What's the big deal...I don't know about you, but, I prefer my favorite rock stars drink to excess

Lol! I prefer my favorite rock stars to be able to play music and remember how to play old songs. Go ask Jo and see how much 'fun' and how much of a 'man' he is being around drunk...

I'll have to go with Gazza on this.
03-01-04 06:18 PM
jpenn11 bin laden was caught?

are they just holding him under wraps until election time?

(still thinking about moss turning 30)
03-01-04 06:18 PM
shakedhandswithkeith Amen!
03-01-04 06:20 PM
Fiji Joe ahhhh...If Jo is anything like most women, her compassion, and the amount thereof, is directly related to the money left in Ronnie's bank account...I say...drink up Ronnie
03-01-04 06:27 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
ahhhh...If Jo is anything like most women, her compassion, and the amount thereof, is directly related to the money left in Ronnie's bank account...I say...drink up Ronnie

, smart girl! But for living with an alcoholic who's ruining her life, Ronnie'll never have enough money to pay her off, she's a saint. Especially with all the people (men) in their circle who keep seeing it naively as 'cool behavior'. Maybe that's why he needed the order for a painting of the -who was it again- sjeik of thingy? He said he needed the money, now I know why :P.
03-01-04 06:39 PM
nankerphelge It isn't just "men" that portray that lifestyle as cool. In her day, Jo was rite in there with him, whoopin' it up!

I'll give her this tho -- I'm sure it is horrible to watch such a talented guy that you love destroying himself -- especially given she does have that first-hand knowledge of the lifestyle and how do you keep him away from the temptation. She could have bailed long ago and hasn't.

03-01-04 06:44 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
It isn't just "men" that portray that lifestyle as cool. In her day, Jo was rite in there with him, whoopin' it up!

You're right Nanky, she was. It's just the difference of drinking to party for a while, a phase, in your life and drinking to get drunk, to not have to deal with responsibilities and to be unable to function properly on a basic level without alcohol (like Ronnie's doing or has done, depending on what's his status now). Too bad.
03-01-04 06:55 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

...and to be unable to function properly on a basic level without alcohol (like Ronnie's doing or has done, depending on what's his status now). Too bad.

Ah Keith, why is it that some people can get away with it and some people can't?
03-01-04 06:59 PM
nankerphelge Well, Keith may have started with 9 lives, but he's down a few!

Keith should really take some stock in all of this. He, more than Ronnie, IS the Stones guitar sound -- and when he isn't 100%, it shows way more.
03-01-04 07:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Well, Keith may have started with 9 lives, but he's down a few!

Keith should really take some stock in all of this. He, more than Ronnie, IS the Stones guitar sound -- and when he isn't 100%, it shows way more.

Yeah. But I don't think he really cares now. At least about the drinking. Maybe a few dates with scotty will help him?
03-01-04 07:52 PM
LadyJane As much as I ADORE him, I'm VERY worried about Keith. His liver isn't lead (or at least I don't think so). If they are gonna do this and do it right...Keith NEEDS to sober up.

Now if you'll excuse me...I need a drink...it's been one hell of a day!!

LJ.
03-01-04 08:07 PM
Blind Dog McGhee At this point does it really matter?
03-01-04 08:09 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
As much as I ADORE him, I'm VERY worried about Keith. His liver isn't lead (or at least I don't think so). If they are gonna do this and do it right...Keith NEEDS to sober up.

Now if you'll excuse me...I need a drink...it's been one hell of a day!!

LJ.

Yeah, for the people who bitched about Ronnie's playing on this tour - I found quite a lot to go after about Keith too - slowly but surely his "toned-down-life-of-excess" is catching up with him. Both of 'em've got pretty big problems that need fixin'.

-tSYX --- It's a hard, hard hand to hold...
03-01-04 08:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

Yeah, for the people who bitched about Ronnie's playing on this tour - I found quite a lot to go after about Keith too - slowly but surely his "toned-down-life-of-excess" is catching up with him. Both of 'em've got pretty big problems that need fixin'.

-tSYX --- It's a hard, hard hand to hold...

Well...#1 getting old sucks. But 60 ain't that bad...still alot of juice there. I'm 50 and I feel like 35....one can push the limits. So the Stones are going through a mid life crisis 20 years after most people do. As long as they get off their soft pillowed asses and decide that they can still pull it off. They need to decide on what they want to do and do it. That's all. Their best years could well be ahead of them....its a question of choices made today. They all love the Stones and lets hope it carries the day.
03-01-04 09:14 PM
Bloozehound Booze blurb?
Damn I thought this thread was titled Blooze burb...my bad.
No comment.
03-01-04 09:17 PM
Nellcote My .2 cents...

As Smokey The Bear once said "Only you can prevent forest fires"

It takes the person to realize they have the problem.
Maybe Ronnie does'nt have anything, and is following the
path to sobriety, and this article is rubbish..
Or, maybe he has taken a right turn when it should have
been a left turn, and has taken a step back..
If you know anything of the Faces history, it's no small shock that a wrong turn for him could spell trouble.
In any case, here's hoping he continues on the straight and narrow, or gets the car back on the right road...

Speaking of roads, to take a different turn, I resdiscovered the last solo lp that Ronnie played on with Rod Stewart this weekend, "Smiler" in fact, could not get it out of the cd player (have it on right now-It's a Hard Road that I traveled...). What a wicked pissa lp! There are some warts, however, Woody's playing is great. The opening number, with guest appearance by Zak is the cut you never tire of. Listen to "Girl From The North Country" to melt away any cold weather. Breezy steel drums of "Mine for Me".. And Dixie Toot is one of my all time favorites.
Came out a mere 29 years ago, go figure...

And then there's this one, from a Faces lp one year earlier....

I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was younger.
I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was stronger.
Ooh la la...SING IT!
03-01-04 09:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels [quote]Nellcote wrote:
My .2 cents...

As Smokey The Bear once said "Only you can prevent forest fires"

While that is true. Two words.....Adam Vinateri.
KICK IS UP
KICK IS GOOD

03-01-04 09:30 PM
Nellcote Hey man! Did you get the DVD yet? Again, another Wicked Pissa release....
03-01-04 09:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Hey man! Did you get the DVD yet? Again, another Wicked Pissa release....

Nah! I should though. It's very unusal though. I hate to gloat but.....they deserve it. After all those horrible commentary.....I guess those southern boys don't like Adam much. Or Brady for that matter. LOL. Well Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution.
03-01-04 09:52 PM
Nellcote Just like '01, the Panthers could have won but fell short.
Defense is like pitching, wins every time.
Could'nt fathom the Panthers re-upped that kicker for five more years after he gave the Pats the ball with 1.20 left.
Maybe some Panthers fans can explain why. In the dvd, you hear a Panthers player say "we may be ahead, but look who is their QB!" The dvd has the game from the international feed as well, which gives a better prespective overall, than that loser Phil Simms force fed the nation.
03-01-04 09:56 PM
BILL PERKS WOODY DIDNT "SNORT" THRU A TOILET PAPER ROLL.HE INHALED FREEBASE COCAINE THRU THE ROLL.FREEBASE WAS HIS ADDICTION,COOKIN UP THE ROCK,IN THE PRE CRACK DAYS.
03-01-04 10:00 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Just like '01, the Panthers could have won but fell short.
Defense is like pitching, wins every time.

Hey I don't know about that stuff but after all that whining and crying. They make excuses and lose. They lost the Superbowl. Oh but they have a good excuse. got youre excuse.....fuck you we won.
03-01-04 10:05 PM
TomL Nobody can play Love In Vein like Ronnie. If were gonna kill ourselves, just invite Ronnie and Keef over to my house for a month. Nanky I have a room for ya. We will go slowly and quietly........Maybe we might understand each other.
03-02-04 12:29 AM
Riff-Hard-Fan The difference between Ronnie n Keith is that Keith is a "drugoligist" He KNOWS what he's doing!! Ya think?
03-02-04 02:58 AM
FotiniD As already said, I don't know how much trust we can put in this article... But in case it is true, there's a thing in addiction called "relapse" guys, and it's part of the procedure to get and stay clean. It's a continuous thing and it can take some time, including falling off the wagon. It's better not to, but still it happens.

One thing I don't understand (again, assuming this story is true) is how on earth Woody managed to stay clean whilst on tour - being in the same room with Keith for God's sakes - and now that he's back home he falls off the wagon. Jo's one strong lady, and yes, he can't thank her enough for what she's been through with this...

So, if this is true, Woody get your act together for crying out loud. We need you, you nutter. And you've been through worse!

And if it's not true, how about we pay a visit to this beautiful "newspaper"?? I've just about had it with tabloids and articles like this.
03-02-04 03:03 AM
FotiniD >The difference between Ronnie n Keith is that Keith is a "drugoligist" He KNOWS what he's doing!! Ya think?
------------

Riff-Hard Fan, I think Gazza already has an answer to this:

quote:
Gazza wrote:
Fuck this "live fast and die young" glamourising shit. It belongs in the dark ages. I'm a fan of these guys - I want them around when they're 100. This is someone's life at stake here. It shouldnt be trivialised.

Totally agree. People seem to forget it's human lives we're talking about here, this ain't no stupid film or an act. There are families involved, real people involved. Who first came up with the idea of glamourising addictions anyway?!?!? What's the glamour in that?! Yeah, it's so rock 'n' roll to have your veins bruising and your liver falling apart, fun stuff, yeah! Get a grip of reality people. Cemeteries are full of rock 'n' roll stories and I don't want to see any of the Stones (or anyone at all) adding their names to that list.
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH